Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

I don't know if it really counts as "accounted for" if the explanation is "idk lol."

"Yeah man, the entire island literally exploded, but fortunately we kept our mouths pointed away from the source of the deadly gases at all times!"
"Quick thinking, Mark!"

I hold Jam Esallen to low, low standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine Meets Buffer 101

The Phantom

Pooch Café

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

"Look, there's no time to recap your exciting brush with death and living legends, we've got stamps to talk about. You know, important matters."

Pooch Café

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

WickedHate posted:

We're out of Honey Team Chatka for the moment, so I thought about switching over to the author's other new series, IP Police Tsuduki-chan, but it's references are even more absurdly specific. As in...

The first several are about G Gundam(yay!) and then it goes into anime I've never even seen. If you want, though, you can read them here.

Ah yes, the legendary School of the Undefeated of the Street.

... I'll show myself out.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

sweeperbravo posted:

I remember Wren being born and my opinion still hasn't changed that that's the dumbest name for a baby
I dunno, it's not exactly something I'd name my own children but it's consistent with the parents' habit of deliberately picking uncommon names (that the creators find funny to read). Hell, the authors picked Hamish specifically so the nickname could be Ham, even though they switched to Hammie pretty early.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail :siren: IS ON TO US :siren:

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café Meets Guest Artist Bob Gorrell

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean celebrates a jumble of dead trees.

Yes, Batiuk, if there's one thing I think while perusing my digital edition, it's "If only this were a huge hassle of physically separated sections."

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Slammy posted:

They'll Do It Every Time (April, 1940, click for big)

I'll be honest - I enjoy a good opera recording as much as the next fellow, but I can't imagine blowing myself to one.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's not ironic, it's just unfortunate!

I'd contend it's not unfortunate, either.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

C'mon Iris, it's not that big a deal. This is what Netflix and chill was designed for
Casablanca isn't on Netflix. Clearly this current Mary Worth development is actually a subtle commentary on the woefully inadequate selection of classic catalog offerings on legal streaming services. Or a roundabout ad for Filmstruck. One of those.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Some Guy TT posted:

You know, this is the same functional "joke" that Gilchrist uses all the time, yet these cameos never really bother me so much in Heathcliff. Maybe it's because they're not as obtrusive, or maybe it' just feels less out of place in Heathcliff's surreal environment.

It helps that Heathcliff is generally good, so you're probably more willing to cut it some slack.

Mark Trail

I'm almost disappointed that fish jumping out of the water didn't result in some crazy sound effect.

Pearls Before Swine Meets Luann

The Phantom

Pooch Café

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Savidudeosoo posted:

YES MOTHER, I TOO ENJOY THE PANCAKES YOU SPEAK OF!

HUMANS SUCH AS RUSTY-UNIT ENJOY THE REPLENISHMENT OF ESSENTIAL NUTRIENTS VIA THE INGESTION OF SUBSTANCE CODE: "PANCAKES."

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I know Beatty has to write to a general audience but how can anyone these days not know about the fact that there are large Comic Cons where, yes, fans do like to meet beloved old creators? Particularly since these days SDCC has picked up a rep as being where they show off upcoming blockbusters.

Green Intern posted:

No, it's even better than brand new: It's Classic! God Bless the Ol' VHS player. Much better than that cold emotionless DVD format.

Oh dear god. I just realized he's also a hipster.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine Meets Me for the Past Two Weeks or So

The Phantom

Pooch Café

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Nenonen posted:

This came only a few days after a drunk Finnish man had been found trying to get a boar to penetrate him and then crashed his car. Which is perfectly legal in Finland, btw. - I mean the zoophilic act, not the drunk driving. But back to the comic. The act of forming pairs of something, like socks, is "paritella", but the word also stands for sexual intercourse.

I think you could maybe manage a similar pun in English using "paired." Regardless, great to see more Fingerpori, as always.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Selachian posted:

Ray Billingsley is a cranky old man about some stuff (mostly rap music), but he hasn't gone full Cosby yet.

My but there's an expression which has picked up interesting new meanings.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Laputanmachine posted:

It's pretty much Intelligent Life but in sitcom form. Perhaps leaning more towards computer nerds than superhero nerds but you get the idea.

I don't know if I'd go that far, but it's definitely lowest common denominator sitcom stuff. It plays well to folks who are still watching TV with any amount of regularity - my folks watch it if it's on, for example.

Also, to its credit, it had the most accurate depiction of theoretical research ever captured on film:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3UXNDKzKJU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Cicadalek posted:

Small child, ostensibly no older than 12: Oh 1960s Batman, I always wanted to see that

And that child was me. :v:

That said, Gilchrist needs to gently caress off with the nostalgia pandering. Also in general.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom
*Lame Jungle Saying

Pooch Café

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

My Lovely Horse posted:

So did James Allen's editor crack down on his adventure leanings and we're in for a few months of "yes indeed I am very happy in my cabin, this is where I belong, LOOK HERE ARE SOME loving DEER I COULD BE DRAWING AN EXPLOSION RIGHT NOW BUT gently caress IT HERE'S BAMBI AND THUMPER" or what

Perhaps I'll get lucky and it's a final winding down before the strip folds forever.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Shirec posted:

Aw dang, I didn't know that, ugh :smith: That's what I get for just being happy at the good stuff and not digging around

Definitely don't look into why Grace Lee Whitney was fired.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Phimosissy posted:

That, or bad writing.

I'd almost argue it's good writing (or at least better) as, initially, bootleg Quagmire's terrible personality traits were all presented as positive and Skip had absolutely no qualms with him. Really this whole arc is kind of fascinating to watch unfold as, previously, they treated his living with his mother as bordering on something to be desired. It's like someone finally pointed out to Reddick how bonkers that portrayal was.

Oh god, it's me, I'm the Intelligent Life reader.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

I'm afraid we're going to have to revoke his smartest henchman award. :eng99:

Pooch Café

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

EasyEW posted:

Interrupting the strip dump to point out that we may have reached peak Funky (the character) here, because the punchline is literally "Christ, what an rear end in a top hat."

Might also be at peak Funky (the strip) what with this occurring immediately following a cancer scare played for laughs.

Mark Trail

Not sure how I feel about Jam Esallen constantly revealing our allies' secrets to the dread insect enemy.

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

On the other hand most kingdoms did not have the idiosyncratic intermingling of sports teams and political parties that Byzantium had.

On the other other hand I think about football riots, and, well.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

It certainly looks enough like him

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine Meets Increasingly Uncomfortable Predictions

The Phantom

Pooch Café

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

MariusLecter posted:

Without looking at google maps I can't quite see a path from the glorious DPRK to Norway as described.

A small sliver of the DPRK touches Russia.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Slammy posted:

Doings of the Duffs. (May, 1918, click for big)

Huh, this entire time they were married. Seems a little disingenuous to have kept us guessing for so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

• Locked thread