Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

bean_shadow posted:

Wasn't Ted the one who was like, "Mid-life crisis eh? Boring life eh? You should cheat on your wife, John. I do!" If so then good on the wife for leaving that POS.

Yeah same guy, I'm pretty sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Really Pants posted:

not all of us work at Male Butts LLC

Well not in this economy, at least.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Julet Esqu posted:

Hey, Ed. The man is just trying to do his job. Go gently caress yourself.

Ed is so frequently an rear end in a top hat to people he deems as lower status (including his own son). At least the wife is almost rolling her eyes today. Are we really supposed to identify with this dick?

Kelley probably thinks he's getting in sick burns on those drat idiot lazy millenials or whatever, but the actual audience probably mostly views Ed more like we do.

quote:

Ed Kudlick, Dustin's father, is an angry, bitter lawyer who despises Dustin's apparent laziness and is the strip's main antagonist. Ed is never supportive in any way, and always seeks to crush Dustin's attempts to find meaning and useful employment, ceaselessly mocking his son and putting him down, yet the only thing they have in common is their love of golf.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

His Divine Shadow posted:

I bought some maple syrup for the first time and made pancakes with it. I have to say it was pretty bland IMO, just tastes sugary. I much prefer jams on pancakes, with ice cream.

Heretic!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

A Canadian who fall on she own ice, a shameful Canadian.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Poil posted:

It's just resting.

'E'S BLEEDIN' DEMISED!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

catlord posted:

You know, I always assumed that the Noodle Incident was that report on the brain that he did.

Watterson stated in the 10th anniversary book that other than that one allusion, there are no specifics about what the Noodle Incident actually was. Much like the particulars of Hamster Huey and the Gooey Kablooey, he felt it was better left to the readers' imaginations to fill in the blanks.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

My Lovely Horse posted:

I am in utter disbelief that I ever liked Garfield. Even as a kid.

Yeah. I used to love Garfield and owned a ton of his books. Having revisited it via this thread, I cannot comprehend what it was that I found so humorous. I mean there's not even the baseline "huh huh, butts" level stuff that all kids tend to laugh at.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

It may surprise you to learn this, but Brooke is a creepy weirdo with only the vaguest understanding of how actual living humans interact with one another in literally any way at all.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

This came up in the politoons thread in D&D and I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me out: several years ago there was at least one Beetle Bailey edit that ended with the punchline of "you know we all died at Inchon, right?" or something very similar, but I can't for the life of me find it anywhere. If anyone still has it, I'd be appreciative if they'd post it.

The original from which the edit was made was this:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Kavak posted:

It was Chosin Reservoir, and I have it saved somewhere, but not under a searchable name.

Aardmania posted:

I think this one might be the original that was posted back in 2007.

That's one of them, thanks guys.

I think there was a second that's a little more involved, but that'll do just fine.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Slammy posted:

Feiffer (1973, click for big)

In case anyone's wondering, this isn't just general satire but rather specifically aimed at Operation Homecoming, a glitzy, heavily-managed affair the Nixon administration ginned up to cash in on POW repatriation as much as they could. Returning POWs were very carefully handled and massaged to only speak positively of how the government had handled matters/the war, and those that didn't want to play along got sidelined and not put up in front of cameras. In a real sense, Nixon treated the whole affair as an ersatz victory parade for Vietnam and validation of his handling of the war.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Johnny Walker posted:

Apartment 3-G

Jesus that's a serious case of crazy eyes right there.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

goatface posted:

It's an old thing people used to do. Probably to do with cooling it down faster.

My Lovely Horse posted:

It used to be done either to cool down hot drinks, or to remove grounds from coffee brewed without a filter. But it also makes me want to slap the saucer out of his hand, so I reckon it's mostly Chester Gould being really good at giving his villains quirks. This story is better than anything the current team can dream up. I wish Coffyhead had been in the movie.

It was also thought to be uncouth behavior, and evidence of one's lower social standing. Orwell comments on it as a notable class marker in The Road to Wigan Pier.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Mister Mind posted:

He'll get knocked out, but he'll get up again.

Never gonna keep him down.

Seriously I was so happy to see Blackjack again, you have no idea. I think he narrowly beats out Clown Nine for my favorite newspaper Spiderman villain.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

Goddamn but I love Blackjack.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes

I've always loved this final Rosalyn storyline, but I don't like being reminded that the end is near. :(

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes

And that was Calvin and Hobbes.

It was a great way to end it, but I still get a little wistful whenever that one comes up.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

So...we're rooting for the stroke?

That's a horrible thing to say, but yes.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Johnny Aztec posted:

What is that on Fords head?

It's an empty tin can.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Hey, everybody! Summer's back to deliver her only line of the year! And she's delivering it to absentee wife Cayla! Have a great life while we're not paying attention, you two!

Being honest, I can't fault either for spending as much time as possible as far away as possible from Les and the rest of that bunch.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Kennel posted:

Hey, a Ripley with a sports fact that's actually pretty cool and interesting (also probably widely known but it was new to me)

(and the 3-point line didn't exist until the latter half of his career)

And were considered a cheesy gimmick by the NBA well into the 1980s, even after adoption in 1979.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

She stopped him from doing some kind of war-related organizing/volunteering, but there's a strip where he says that he's past the age limit to enlist. I don't know what it was in 1917 but nowadays federal law says no one older than 42 can enlist and each branch sets their own limits lower than that--the US Army won't take anyone over 35 (normally, there's waivers and exceptions and stuff) and the Marines won't take anyone over 28. I think Everett's supposed to be well into middle age.

The Selective Aervice Act of 1917 required all men 21 to 30 to register for the draft, which Congress modified in 1918 to 18 to 45, respectively. As to voluntary enlistments, those were governed by the 1916 National Defense Act, which similarly set the ceiling at 45, with a very few narrow exceptions allowable (largely for technical requirements the services might have trouble filling otherwise). I also don't much care for the Jingoistic True arc, as it's as considerable odds with the character as previously written.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze is lost in the crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Bonster posted:

Bloom County takes me back to my childhood. That and Calvin and Hobbes were my favorite strips, and I had all the collections.

God, I'm old.

:same:

Still have all my C&H books, no idea where the Bloom County ones wandered off to. :corsair:

• Locked thread