Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

These are Chewri Comics, (츄리닝) an anthology comic which I was translating at the same time I did Asaekkiga way back when I was still taking Korean classes maybe...four years ago? I recall the reception to these being more hit-and-miss, but that may have been because the translations were more low quality, and I couldn't explain the cultural context as well as I can now. As an example, I had no idea what a "Chewriring" was at that time, hence why I called them Chewri Comics. I now know that Chewriring is some sort of weird foreign load word for Tracksuit, so if I were translating these today, I would call them Tracksuit.

What are those words around the gun in he "my gun's not working" panel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Darthemed posted:

what
what is in the 'hot stuff' canister
Stuff that is hot. The label seems pretty clear to me? :confused:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vargo posted:

Curtis reminds you that Curtis' dad/Ray Billingsley loving haaaaaaates rap music, which never made sense to me because he's supposed to be, at most, like 45-50, and when he pines for "music they made in my day", he really should be talking about early rap and hip-hop but instead it's some Gilchrist-esque reminiscing about Nat King Cole or some poo poo.
I think when it started the times lined up but it's an old strip that hasn't kept that stuff current.

Which is a shame because it'd be hilarious.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Uh, who wrote that message? :eek:
Abbey is very excited.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

"Drain or other orifice".

These people have "Drains" as an orifice.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Slammy posted:

Agreed. Plus Jaf is dropping off shortly and the Dick Tracey plot is wrapping up.
I'm aware not everyone enjoys the comics I post and I don't want to make scrolling through too long.
:confused:

As the person who initially asked for the dick tracy stuff I'd like to point out I didn't ask for this plot, I asked for this era of classic dick tracy baffling nonsense.

EDIT: In fact I was kind of interested in if it started off this insane and disjointed or if it got so over time.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

... Nachos and cheese? :raise:

So did they melt cheese over some chips, and then put cheese on the side?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Savidudeosoo posted:

I've seen the chips themselves be called Nachos. Served plain with a side of cheese. It's not too uncommon here in Ohio.
Nachos are the combination of chips and melted cheese and if Ohio disagrees i am going to burn Ohio to the ground.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Slammy posted:

Dick Tracy (November, 2009, click for big)

This story is coming to an end - do y'all want more Dick?
YES.

Simian_Prime posted:

Can't believe the Locher era of Dick Tracy passed up the chance to show a clown get eaten by a tiger. :argh:
Yeah, nobody died horribly in this storyline, what gives?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Simian_Prime posted:

Gilchrist's work has taken a brilliant turn! His new comic featuring the misadventures of hideous furry goblins has placed him among the ranks of masters of the grotesque like Bosch and Giger.

I don't know why he keeps calling his creatures "dogs", though?... :ghost:
They are clealry labeled "Doggs", not "dogs".

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

Catching up with Sally Forth

Way longer than that.
Actually if you go back more than five or six years I think she was like, ten or so.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SomeMathGuy posted:

I believe Crankshaft is still alive now, just confined to a wheelchair. So theoretically Funky could crash into him now, it just wouldn't be while he was driving a bus like he does now.
Wasn't that guy in the flash forwards in crankshaft eventually revealed to be somebody else?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

bean_shadow posted:

Les Who's Coming to Dinner
I hope the next bit after this dinner is also immediately Les going to dinner somewhere.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vargo posted:

Curtis you stupid gently caress if you hate this girl so much why are you trying to go out with her just leave you dumb poo poo.
Probably because he thinks she's hot.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Wait his helmet doesn't cover his face or anything. How is it helping?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pastry of the Year posted:

When did Ray Billingsley stop putting "Onion" in quotes when Derrick and "Onion" come up?

Nothing gold can stay~
"Onion"'s parents probably got tired of all the problems having quotes in his name caused with automated systems and poo poo and got his name legally changed from "Onion" to Onion.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

It's "Wumo", not "Wumbo".

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

Tracksuit

I'm in a bit of a rush but I'm also kind of curious how parsable this is without translation.
I think I can sort of vaguely tell what the joke is supposed to be but having to decipher it like this kills all the humor.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kennel posted:

Since we missed the whole 2016 of Mandrake,
Didn't the creator die in like, 2015 or so and it's been in reruns ever since?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cicadalek posted:

Did he loving shrink the uncles?

I swear to god they were taller whenever i last saw them, but maybe he just never drew them from the waist down before
Nah, I'm pretty sure they were always a pair where one is shorter, almost as short as Sluggo, and the other is a giant disembodied head.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

I'm not sure if they skipped a storyline but both of them are forgotten after this strip and won't be mentioned again.
Crime bosses: well known for doing everything personally, themselves, rather than having somebody who works for them do it

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

Radio Patrol
Is... is it ending?

OH FOR gently caress'S SAKE
Legend says the storyline is still continuing to this very day! :ghost:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

What, no "Serf's up!" joke?
He's clearly skateboarding.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... New York to Paris?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kennel posted:

Fingerpori

-Are pipes still clogged?
-I called a sewer opener
-Meow

Viemärin = Sewer's
Aukaisija = Opener
Viemäri = Sewer
Naukaisija = Meower
Okay I get the pun, but what is a "Sewer Opener" supposed to do?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SomeMathGuy posted:

Mark Trail

Colorist fuckup or Jam Esallen's total lack of artistic ability? You decide!
So. Wait, the guy with the gun and the hostage's plan is "make this guy rent a car, and then just go with him wherever he was planning on going"?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Strontium posted:

Viivi & Wagner

Ooops! I forgot to tell a joke!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pastry of the Year posted:

He did an intentionally bad job at shopping so she'd come to the conclusion in the third panel.
Oh I guess that makes sense.

I mean it's not really... funny, but.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kennel posted:

Fingerpori

Ruis = Rye
Kuitu = Fibre
Rusku = Syringe
Itu = Sprout
... What would a "rye fiber pizza" be?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

Is this a panel from a comic you didn't post?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kennel posted:

Ah, it works fine for me but that's probably because it's in the browser's cache or something. I probably shouldn't have used imgur's crop function for that upload.

Here's the strip:

Yeah they were both the cropped panel for some reason.

Safety Dance posted:

Did he use his riding mower to carry a bag of tools clear across the front lawn?
Yes, how else would he set up the joke?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Or, here's an idea: send each other pictures of yourselves since you're already planning to meet physically.

of course that'd ruin the shocking revelation when it turns out to be Skip, or possibly another established character

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

:geno:
"Man, this place looks familiar!" "Oh, why?" "I think this is near where I had a weird dream."

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Haifisch posted:

2001 Spiderman

Okay wait.

He gets hit by lightning, is fine. Decides to break out. And then discovers that the lightning has given the barbell powers?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mountaineer posted:

Everett knows you can't just punish the those who do the wrong thing, you've got to encourage correct behavior too.
He's clearly speaking too loud for just talking to her, he wants to make sure everybody else around hears how he's effusively praising her for doing something really basic. Because they aren't doing it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

Loving this obvious fake out. At least they remembered to introduce the new character by name this time.
Gwen introduced herself to the internet guy as "Rose". I'd be extremely surprised if Floyd wasn't also a pseudonym.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

"No." The end.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Man I knew it was going to be somebody she already knew as soon as she gave "Floyd" a fake name. I was hoping it wasn't gonna Skip but like, who else was there for it to be?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tiggum posted:

Who borrows someone else's mobile phone? Why would you do that?
I think this is a sign the writer is extremely out of touch. What would Dustin even want his dad's phone on the date FOR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

Hell, I'd say it doesn't even have the writing era of Locher-era Tracy. At least poo poo happened in that.
Sometimes several times in a row!

• Locked thread