Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Look out, Ballard Street!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Really Pants posted:

how many evil brothers does Mandrake have

And why does his brother have a photo of Phantom and Diana(?) e. wait - is that a television?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Pickles

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Bit of lazy frame reuse there.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I attended an Indian/Finnish wedding last weekend, and I had a lovely little conversation with the mother of the groom about comics. Started with some light Moomin talk, she showed me her gold Wagner pendant, and I impressed the hell out of her by understanding a Fingerpori strip. Thanks, comic strip thread!

The honeymoon was a ski trip with the whole wedding party invited, and every single person on the groom's side complained about how cold the sauna was. I'm going to have to get them into a jimjilbang and see how they like the 125 degree salt room.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Really Pants posted:

how many evil brothers does Mandrake have

And if Luciphor is called "Cobra," what is Derek called?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mister Kingdom posted:

That's it, Charles, enjoy that brain tumor.

First Tiggum, now you? Messin up my order. t:mad:
(it's cool)

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Bizarro

Dilbert

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

RandomFerret posted:

I attended an Indian/Finnish wedding last weekend, and I had a lovely little conversation with the mother of the groom about comics. Started with some light Moomin talk, she showed me her gold Wagner pendant, and I impressed the hell out of her by understanding a Fingerpori strip. Thanks, comic strip thread!

The honeymoon was a ski trip with the whole wedding party invited, and every single person on the groom's side complained about how cold the sauna was. I'm going to have to get them into a jimjilbang and see how they like the 125 degree salt room.

Celsius or farenheit?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

His Divine Shadow posted:

Celsius or farenheit?

First one, then the other.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

The lady was just about to reach into the cash register to pull out the $3.95 the calendar was worth, but changed her mind into only giving her store credit after she realized this girl is just a miserable bitch, and she wouldn't be surprised if she was related to that sour rear end in a top hat Kudlick she knew back in college.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

There's no way this one made it into a paper, right? Does 9CL run in any papers?

WickedHate posted:

[TIMG]http://i.imgur.com/UBeJaRb.jpg][/TIMG]

A lot of great additions posted lately - keep it up Mountaineer, WickedHate and Vargo! I like Wizard of ID mostly because I grew up reading it - and the odd new direction is good. Wallace the Brave is v good, and I missed Pickles very much.

Byzantine posted:

I'm not sure if Feiffer's constant relevance is depressing or uplifting in a way.

Kavak posted:

It's both. What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.
You summed it up better than I could have. I wonder what Feiffer thinks of the current political climate. I should write to him.

Dream of the Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

And He Did. (November, 1915)

Outbursts of Everett True (April, 1916)

Doings of the Duffs (February, 1918, click for big)

The Gay Thirties (April, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (March, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (September, 1940)

Tweedy (October, 1956, click for big)

Jaf (1969)

Feiffer (1970, click for big)

Andy Capp (December, 1970, click for big)

Wee Pals (December, 1970, click for big)

Pyton

Richard's Poor Almanac (click for big)

The late Tower Records: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_Records

Dick Tracy (October, 2009, click for big)

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
IT'S HAPPENING!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Curtis reminds you that Curtis' dad/Ray Billingsley loving haaaaaaates rap music, which never made sense to me because he's supposed to be, at most, like 45-50, and when he pines for "music they made in my day", he really should be talking about early rap and hip-hop but instead it's some Gilchrist-esque reminiscing about Nat King Cole or some poo poo.

Baldo makes literally the same joke as yesterday's Family Circus:

Big Nate:

Wizard of Id:

And no new Wallace The Brave yet, so here's a thing I found on GoComics' "new comic alert" page instead:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Johnny Aztec posted:

IT'S HAPPENING!

It keeps hapening...

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vargo posted:

Curtis reminds you that Curtis' dad/Ray Billingsley loving haaaaaaates rap music, which never made sense to me because he's supposed to be, at most, like 45-50, and when he pines for "music they made in my day", he really should be talking about early rap and hip-hop but instead it's some Gilchrist-esque reminiscing about Nat King Cole or some poo poo.
I think when it started the times lined up but it's an old strip that hasn't kept that stuff current.

Which is a shame because it'd be hilarious.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

So as long as I'm back I might as well post comix.

Lost Side of Suburbia is by Kory Merritt and it's online-only, but he's worked with the creator of Pooch Café before, it's hosted on GoComics and ,most importantly, I like it. Last time we left off it had taken a hiatus after a controversial years-long epic storyline. Don't expect another one of those.

Dope Rider is something I've been waiting to post for a while. Written and illustrated by Paul Kirchner, best known in this thread as the creator of The Bus, Dope Rider is a Western epic about an immortal weed loving skeleton that appeared in High Times magazine in the 70s and 80s because of course it did.

I post edits sometimes too. This is one of my favourites, but I'd be hard-pressed to explain it to somebody who hasn't been following these threads for years:

I used to have two regular edit series going on that I haven't added to in a long time:

Hägar the Historically-Accurate Viking

Originally I was just replacing text with historical references, but at some point I started trying to write jokes that actual vikings would find funny. Full gallery: http://imgur.com/a/goA13

Everybody is an rear end in a top hat to Winnie the Pooh

I only edited like half of these. The Pooh newspaper strip has a much different tone than the disney movies. Full gallery: http://imgur.com/a/oH6NE

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

drat that's a fine Terry Gilliam.

Also, Dope Rider seems pretty cool, hope you'll keep posting it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Slammy posted:

And He Did. (November, 1915)

He died in a traffic accident and went to the party as a formless ghost?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

SomeMathGuy posted:

drat that's a fine Terry Gilliam.
Not a bad PTerry there, either.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I didn't expect Lost Side of Suburbia to reference Crumb, but its also been a while and I can't remember if there was a previous reference that made me raise my eyebrow. Also interested in Dope Rider, and I love Hagar the Historically-Accurate Viking.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I love Everybody is an rear end in a top hat to Winnie the Pooh but does anyone have the original, unedited Pooh strips? I remember them being absolutely hilarious.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Not "I'm Enery the Eighth, I Am"?

Pros and Cons

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Mister Kingdom posted:

First one, then the other.

We got pretty close one time:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/aug/08/sauna-championship-russian-dead

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (December 15, 1951)

Nancy (January 31, 1944)

Wash Tubbs (September 30, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (October 29, 1923)

Lil' Abner (June 26, 1937)

Barney Google (October 30, 1922)

Alley Oop (January 29, 1934)

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Does anybody have those creepy "enhanced" Foob strips that were gifs and had characters blink? I was just reminded that they were a thing.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen

Vargo posted:

I love Everybody is an rear end in a top hat to Winnie the Pooh but does anyone have the original, unedited Pooh strips? I remember them being absolutely hilarious.

Creators.com still has the strip in its archived comics section, including this gem:

Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn

I wish I could remember what this strip was about, hams...lambs? If only I had a reminder.

Aardmania fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 7, 2017

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Pop Team Epic

Honey Team Chatka

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Mandrake's parents were weird about naming their kids:
Mandrake!
Lucifer!
Derek.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Has anyone that uses GoComics as their source (as I do) tried out "the new GoComics"? (example) They're certainly trying to make image saving and sharing outside the usual banal social networks more difficult. :(
Most of my comics are from Comics Kingdom, but hopefully they will still be available from newspaper sites, albeit most likely smaller sized.

RandomFerret posted:

Did they have milk, and was it viperless?

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Ugh. This is just weird and gross.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Hm, let's see...hot young guy who's available now and interested in doing fun things with her, or dumpy balding fat old guy who loves sandwiches and will be gone for a year. I can see her dilemma.

Rex Morgan MD

OK so now she's not a fabulous artist either. It's almost like Beatty's just erasing the last 4-5 years of the strip.

Secret Agent X-9

Well seems to be pretty flimsy evidence.

Apartment 3-G

"Look, honey, I just walked up and down 6 flights of stairs here and I'm not 20 anymore. Let's take a cab."

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Johnny Walker posted:

Most of my comics are from Comics Kingdom, but hopefully they will still be available from newspaper sites, albeit most likely smaller sized.

The GoComics changes are annoying but they're not too aggressive; it should only take a couple of extra clicks to let you save images. In Chrome, for example, you should just need to "Inspect Element" on the comic then untick "pointer-events" in ".item-comic-link-disabled".

You could even have a script that does that automatically, though at that point you might as well have the script auto-upload them to imgur for you and save all of the clicks.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It's a different writer on Rex Morgan right

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

That truck's axis distance :prepop:

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Johnny Walker posted:

Secret Agent X-9

Well seems to be pretty flimsy evidence.

Probably why he's so keen on getting out of there quickly.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Calaveron posted:

It's a different writer on Rex Morgan right
Yeah, Terry Beatty has been the artist for a while and has taken over the writing for nearly a year now.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I hope there are some dramatic sobbing over the skip scenes as they throw away all her art stuff before she gets home.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

OK so now she's not a fabulous artist either. It's almost like Beatty's just erasing the last 4-5 years of the strip.

I had forgotten about the storyline where Sara was supposedly a great artist until I read your comment so for a second there I thought that last panel was just Rex being a huge rear end in a top hat

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Of course painting is pretty different from drawing.

Specifically, oil painting is a hell of a lot easier. I'm a really lovely freehand artist but only moderately lovely at oil painting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

lol @ Rex Morgan, MD.

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Super gross!

Vargo posted:

And no new Wallace The Brave yet, so here's a thing I found on GoComics' "new comic alert" page instead:

I'm not going to commit to an opinion yet, but this might be ok.

I'm having a really hard time imagining Mark Trail calling anybody "baby."

Tissue desperation is one of the worst feelings. I mean, not literally, just trying to say that it sucks, is all.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Has anyone that uses GoComics as their source (as I do) tried out "the new GoComics"? (example) They're certainly trying to make image saving and sharing outside the usual banal social networks more difficult. :(

Wow, that is garbage. I'm glad I only use GoComics for Luann. And I'm keeping the old format as long as I can. Like hell am I registering an account just to zoom in on loving Luann. And they can take away my right clicks, but they'll never take away my screengrabs.

Wall calendars are great. And I'm not just saying that because I'm the kind of person who still reads and enjoys newspaper comics. Sometimes a thing is just easier to write on your wall calendar. Calendar stores also sell games and poo poo. Suck it, weird Millennial as written by a Boomer.

Luann

For reals. If they had a honeymoon, we didn't hear about it. They've been married maybe a day. Whoever set up their schedule hates the hell out of them.

The Amazing Spider-Man

He knows what a rhino and a -saurus is, but not a raccoon?

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Stealing all his girlfriends?

• Locked thread