Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Tiggum posted:

It is, but that's out of a 26-episode season, and if you bought all of classic Doctor Who that way it's 155 DVDs (as opposed to 26 if it was one per season). It's fine, I suppose, if you're just buying a few of your favourite stories, but it's ridiculous if you want a complete collection.
At least 155 DVDs would still take up way less space than an equal or greater number of videocassettes.
:lol:
Aw there had to be one more 1972 fun fact they could have gone with. :(

F Minus

Mary Worth

They're hugging! In public! Heavens! Have they no shame?

Rex Morgan MD

Horrible Hank's just thinking about all the World Comic Con trim he's gonna get now.

Secret Agent X-9

Most of you probably don't know this, but shoe sales used to be highly regulated, requiring you to give your name and address for each transaction.

Apartment 3-G

What the hell is Tommie doing in that last panel?

Also:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

People painting their porches bright purple are the reason there are HOAs.

Mary Worth

Stay true to you when you do true you-dos.

Rex Morgan MD

Please let this coming week be a thing where Horrible Hank goes off on a weird, crazy old man racist rant and everyone looks on shocked and uncomfortable and unsure what to do.

Jungle Jim

I just had the sudden realization that these doll cutouts were probably masturbation fuel for 12-year-old boys back in 1934.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

JacquelineDempsey posted:

You'd think the guy who makes a point of shoe-horning Jim Henson properties in every chance he gets would remember we actually had four channels over the air back then. Or does Nancy live in some horrible place without PBS?
I think we had 6 channels at least where I grew up. In addition to the big three and PBS, there were a couple local stations that mostly showed old movies and syndicated shows. Those channels later became Fox and eventually (after becoming UPN or WB or whatever) things like the CW.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

What the gently caress is wrong with these people?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Aleph Null posted:

In the real world, all of this is true, it just isn't so blatant. It's all "understood" (at least in my experience).
For a manager to actually come out and say that would be definite grounds for a lawsuit, wouldn't it?
I get strangely mad when Piraro doesn't have any "hidden" items. Usually they're so blatantly obvious I don't see any reason to ever not include them. I mean often it's just like an eyeball in the corner so why couldn't he have had a k2 in the woman's hair here or something?

F Minus

Anybody had one of those donut burgers? Just wondering.

Mary Worth

Tiggum posted:

Is that it? Is that how we're ending this? :what:
Looks that way. I have to say, it's a bit lame. There has been pretty much zero conflict other than that one time Zac's friends made fun of Iris for dressing to nicely for the concert. Besides that they've just been having a lot of fun, and Iris hasn't even seemed too preoccupied about the age difference.

I wonder if sometimes the syndicate people tell the writer to abort a story they aren't liking even though it's already started before it completely runs its course. Maybe Moy had something else in mind.

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

"Are you calling me a liah, suh? I demand satisfaction!"

Apartment 3-G

The Professor's melting!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

They really should stick with "G-Men." Whenever they say "G-Guy" I think they're stuttering.

Apartment 3-G

Another nice cityscape from Kotzky.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

"I only shot him a little" is one of my favorite tropes of these old comics.

F Minus

Mary Worth

In Antarctica, a schlubby man eats a celebratory sandwich.

Rex Morgan MD

At the comics convention, a schlubby guy has a celebratory heart attack.

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

"The infra-red ray will make these letters talk!"

Apartment 3-G

I get the feeling Professor P was planning on visiting Elaine to "discuss things" while he knows her husband's busy at his place anyways.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Simian_Prime posted:

Can't believe the Locher era of Dick Tracy passed up the chance to show a clown get eaten by a tiger. :argh:
I am very disappointed this did not end in a horrible death. Maybe it's not too late and he'll try to escape and die horribly in some other way.

F Minus

I disagree. I think he has a talent for this.

Mary Worth

This breakup apparently makes Zac feel as good as a victory in a great war.

Rex Morgan MD

I guess the dehydration theory holds water.

Jungle Jim

Now I want business cards that say nothing but "Johnny Walker, Earthman."

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Maslovo posted:

What's that thing below the belt on Dr.Zarkovs scrubs?

It's either a pug's head coming from his crotch or it's a glove he's holding in one hand.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Kazinsal posted:

It's white trash for Walmart.
Really? I thought it was the Vacation thing, which really isn't so far-fetched with Gilchrist. Never heard of that for Wal-Mart.
Didn't he just do this bit for a week, or was that a different lovely comic?

F Minus

Thanks, Supreme Court's Kelo vs New London decision.

Mary Worth

"I need to sneeze and can't and then I lost control of my white-out!"

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent C-9

Yes! Card catalog action!

Apartment 3-G

"I just don't think I can party on anymore."

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

I really don't like Buck.

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

He looks like he painted his eyelids so people don't know he fell asleep.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

This has nothing on the Fingerpori Mantrain.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Basically the exact same strip as yesterday. I know it's a newspaper soap strip but come on. And why is Buck talking like a Little Rascal anyways? Who says "Phooey," or "Gee Whiz" for that matter?

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

"Oh, by the way, I'm in the hospital. Welp, bye, son!" *click*

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Am I mistaken or is Dirty a character we've seen before?

Also this comic really has gotten worse. I have a feeling it's heading in the direction of A3G. Maybe they'll just keep the Sundays going.

And yeah, Luann is full of terrible, self-centered people and it says a lot about the Evans's that they are incapable of seeing it.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Oh boy! She's gonna suggest something! What do you all think it will be? I bet it will be to take a trip. Why, perhaps even to wherever Wilbur currently is!

Rex Morgan MD

God, I hate Buck.

Secret Agent X-9

I still don't get the "Whiskers" thing.

Apartment 3-G

Everyone's so happy, and why not, since he's only about to go to the DA and admit he had knowledge of people building a bomb in an apartment that went off unexpectedly and killed and injured dozens of people. No big deal. Should be in and out in no time. A few things to sign and done.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

SomeMathGuy posted:

The thing about A3G towards the end was you got the palpable feeling that the artist no longer gave a gently caress (the writer was another story entirely). Jam Esallen honestly thinks he's doing a great job.
I got the impression that at the end of 3-G the artist was still trying and cared, he just couldn't do it anymore, and considering he was ~90 when the strip ended, that's not hard to believe.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

SomeMathGuy posted:

Pearls Before Swine

This is cheating, Pastis.

F Minus

Mary Worth

"Have you considered meddling? I highly recommend it!"

Rex Morgan MD

Jungle Jim

"Look on the bright side! He probably would have died in some other horrible way eventually anyways." - Jungle Jim

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Julet Esqu posted:

You know, there comes a time at the end of most Radio Patrol storylines where all the major plot points have been given and all that's left is weeks of chasing the bad guy around. And it never fails to remind me of the end of that MST3K movie Racket Girls where all the fun stuff is over it's just this interminable car chase set to an overly dramatic car chase. And whenever I see a Radio Patrol bad guy climb into a getaway car, I never fail to have the refrain "Ukrainia! My bitter homeland!" play in my mind.

Skip to 1:25:00 to cut to the chase. Skip to 1:26:35 to cut even more to the chase. Or just watch the whole thing because it's a great episode and Peaches is a delight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6FG8lha7-w
All I can think about is Last Clear Chance, but that's just because of the train-hitting-the-car-at-the-crossing thing.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

It has been a while since I read comic books. This has gotten complicated.

F Minus

Carrillo comes up with really good ideas a lot of the time.

Mary Worth

Ugh just get on with it.

Rex Morgan MD

See previous comment.

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I once let my license expire for like a year. I was surprised when I went to the DMV and found out I had to do a bunch of stuff to get it renewed but at the same time I accepted that this was my fault and I just have to do what they need done. They gave me a list of exactly what I needed and needed to do and like a week or so later (I had to order my birth certificate) I had my license. In the meantime, I drove around and all even thought it was technically illegal because who cares?

I mean there's no point in getting pissy with the people behind the counter. You have to have x, y, and z to do what you need to, and that's all there is to it. He's lucky he's able to take care of it all in one day.

Anyways, 2 days of comics.

F Minus

Mary Worth

:siren:YOUNG MARY WORTH:siren:

I can't think of another instance of Mary reminiscing so openly about her first husband, even calling him by name and showing a picture. I imagine it must have happened in the past, but it must be rare. Kind of like Barney Google appearances.

Rex Morgan MD

I think we all saw this coming.

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Get it? "Worth your time"? Get it? Huh?

Rex Morgan MD

OK I know no one will believe this but I kind of saw this coming too. I mean I knew there was a high likelihood he didn't die on the plane. I did have some hope that he did though.

Secret Agent X-9

So I guess Dr Morton just operated on him with no anesthesia so LaMarr could be sure he didn't just knock him out and call the cops.

Also lol at changing fingerprints.

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

The best jokes are the ones you have to explain.

...and the pitch! posted:

Gunther called him Les. I thought they were going to kiss in the 4th panel.
I think we all did.

Some Guy TT posted:

The movie being parodied this time is Under Siege 2, which is one of the better known Steven Seagal movies in South Korea. Really it's probably the best Steven Seagal movie in general, although that's mostly thanks to Tommy Lee Jones.
That was Under Siege I. The second was on a train with Eric Bogosian as the villain.

F Minus

Those phones sure are some gizmos huh?

Mary Worth

Yes, I suppose if you could see the 80s Judge Reinhold/Fred Savage body-switch movie too.

Oh man, vicodi! That's plural for vicodin!

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Tommie quarrels with a surly Harry Carey.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I really like Jim Keefe's Flash Gordon. It looks like something he just really enjoys drawing.

Unrelated:

Nenonen posted:

I'm the :hehe: guy

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Slammy posted:

Dream of the Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

I wonder what happened here.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean: AND NOW, THE PAYOFF!

Zoom in on the character in the title:

I don't know about Ohio, but there is no way they would let that through in Virginia. You can't even smile.

Also I love how in Radio Patrol "The Mind" just happened across another guy running from the law. "You're on the lam? I'm on the lam too!"

F Minus

And yet, it is a dream. Mind: blown.

Mary Worth

Iris must save Jennifer Aniston!

Rex Morgan MD

Edit: I guess he could be sitting. Meh, looks more like he's standing to me.

Jungle Jim

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I never realized there were so many similar 90s cartoon dogs.

F Minus

Mary Worth

"I gotta be honest: The Bible is pretty boring for most of it."

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Jesus Christ this guy must be a bastard.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Iris is going to do it. She's ready to eat sandwiches again.

Rex Morgan MD

Wait they bought Harwood's old place, and Harwood bought their old place? I don't remember that. Or did Sarah find the comics in the old house as they were clearing it out?

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Mr Ramage is played today by Terence Stamp.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

A Morgan refusing free stuff? Come on, Rex. A bee has got to sting.

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I also have always enjoyed Monty. The "good" comics don't get as much feedback as the bad ones. I guess that's just because how many times can you say "Heh. I kind of liked that one!"

Actually:

SomeMathGuy posted:

Pooch Café

I usually like PC, but this one gave me a pretty good laugh today.

F Minus

It is notable that it is not apparent who won that argument.

Mary Worth

They don't even mention drugs today. If I was just coming across this random strip I would assume it was about sex.

Rex Morgan MD

"Pack your things!"
"I'm going to England?!?!"
"No! You're fired!"

Secret Agent X-9

"Hold him tight, F-21! Never let him go! Tell him you love him!"

Apartment 3-G

Gee I wonder why they don't want him to have visitors.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (Jan. 5, 1995)

I was guilty of doing this. You know even when I got a collection I couldn't NOT go through the whole thing pretty much in one sitting. The Far Side was too drat good. It helps that it wasn't exactly something that required a whole lot of reading I suppose.
In a bid of weird timing, I read this article yesterday.

F Minus

I know it's supposed to be foam, but I see the classic horseshoe of gray hair for bald guys.

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Obviously. He's only got one leg. He'd have to hop or limp away.

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Slammy posted:

And He Did. (March, 1916)

What's he doing here?

Haifisch posted:

Flash Gordon

I can't help but think building a city that relies on this sort of system to keep it stable was a bad idea in the first place.

F Minus

Mary Worth

I'm happy. Really, this is good. I am glad I gave up on the exciting and fun relationship with the younger man. I'm happy. Seeing him enjoying himself so soon with that other, younger woman makes me feel good and not regretful for my decision. Really happy. Happy.

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

'There's reports of a giant robot destroying Albuquerque, and something called an "Accuse-er" fighting some sort of "Spidered-Man" on the outskirts of town.'

Apartment 3-G

She can't possibly understand politics, what with being a mere "college educated woman" and all.

Jungle Jim

So he just tied it to a stick and threw it in the bag?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Mountaineer posted:

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

I have to be honest, I've never thought of the spider's point of view in this situation.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Oh great the doctor's office again. They were there for nearly two weeks last time.

Rex Morgan MD

Won't they be shocked when it turns out Sarah's old room is now Horrible Hank Harwood's Sex Dungeon.

Secret Agent X-9

OK the other day he was pointing at Arizona.

Well, new story anyways.

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

What is the penalty for guessing? You either get it right or not, right?

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

"And now, we'll both teach Rex how to cook. Why? Oh, no reason, Mrs Morgan. No reason at all..."

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Wow I never knew that about the SATs. I am not sure they were that way back in my day, but I never took them anyways. Thanks, all!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

Even The Phantom is no match for the power of Bangalla's Big Stamp industry.

Mountaineer posted:

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Bath salts explains a lot about Skip.

Selachian posted:

Pros and Cons

This comic is so good.

F Minus

Mary Worth

In case you were wondering, the place Tommy used to work at is Jerry's, not Diego's. Perhaps he'll get a new job, or find a new waitress to stalk.

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Slammy posted:

Archie (November, 1955, click for big)

Archie bringing a coat made of human flesh would probably fit right into a storyline in the new CW series.

Slammy posted:

Wee Pals (April, 1971, click for big)

That would actually be a pretty healthy meal, wouldn't it?

Slammy posted:

Richard's Poor Almanac (click for big)

I loved this one, especially that last panel.

I even liked that Rarebit and Andy Capp. Come to think of it, I liked a most of these! A particularly good bunch of comics today, Slammy! Thanks as always for posting these!

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

They are Native Americans, so of course they use drums to communicate and dance around the fire before any meeting.

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Julet Esqu posted:

Who's on that bill? Doesn't really look like a Hamilton or a Jackson, and although it may look like him, the likelyhood of it being an honest-to-goodness Woodrow Wilson seems pretty slim.
They're in some other country right? I want to say Morocco or Lebanon or something like that? I thought France, but I think that was the last story. I may be mixing stories up here.

hambeef posted:

im obsessed with how lovely that first frame is and have been amusing myself by editing it into each new days comic, i hope i can keep this going for, like, a year

also this

And He Might is pretty inspired. It goes well with the "And He Died" edits.

Shugojin posted:

VERY NOT SAME. Ballard Street.

Ballard Street has been on a roll lately.

F Minus

Mary Worth

He's interviewing college kids on Spring Break who drank too many mudslides?

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

You know guys I think this storyline is a little offensive so far.

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Haifisch posted:

Flash Gordon

Pretty grim for the funny pages. Right up there with a few of the Prince Valiants. I love it! It's funny I never appreciated those comics as a kid but now they're amazing. I don't think we had FG but I hated PV and thought it was dumb and boring and just glazed over it. Probably because of all the words. Now I think about it and it's amazing they fit so much into a once a week strip and are also able to keep a story going long-term. On top of that the art is just awesome most of the time.

F Minus

I don't think today is a sighting of World's Worst Grandpa, if you were wondering. He looks a little different.

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

"Don't bring him to me, though. I've got like 3 patients and I'm swamped!"

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

LuAnn back there like "Oh God if Tommie doesn't shut up my head will explode" is cracking me up.

Edit:
Noodle Incident! :neckbeard:

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 11, 2017

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Haifisch posted:

1999 Spider-Man

"How did they spot me, a man in a bright red and blue skin-tight suit four or so stories up on the side of a brown building all alone in the middle of an empty city block?"

F Minus

King Redneck

Mary Worth

"Now please stop contacting me. I believe the court order was quite clear on this."

Rex Morgan MD

Ask your doctor if you are at risk for sleep apnea, and take our sleep apnea quiz at Rexstaza.com.

Jungle Jim

JJ just runs around doing whatever while his native friend does all the work and he gets all the credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Yes! Yes, she is!

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

• Locked thread