Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mister Kingdom posted:

Calvin and Hobbes did it better:

And with much better artwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Pickles

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Dammit, Dana, you could at least draw a nine tile word on the board. (Also, Simpsons did it)

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
It's Friday! Y'all have a good weekend.
Dream of the Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

And He Did. (February, 1916)

Outbursts of Everett True (May, 1916)

Doings of the Duffs. (May, 1918, click for big)

The Gay Thirties (May, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (April, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (October, 1940)

:allears:

Tweedy (October, 1955, click for big)

Archie (October, 1955, click for big)

Jaf (1970)

Feiffer (1971, click for big)

Andy Capp (February, 1971, click for big)

Wee Pals (March, 1971, click for big)

Pyton

Richard's Poor Almanac (click for big)

Dick Tracy (November, 2009, click for big)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Slammy posted:

Dick Tracy (November, 2009, click for big)

Would someone with some image editing skills be kind enough to mock up that last panel as it would be if they'd decided not to include the word balloon?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

:confused:

Nope. My problem is that I have an SD card with tons of free space and my phone keeps complaining that it can't update stuff because there's no free space because for some reason it can't use the SD card for installing apps. :argh:

Johnny Walker posted:

This is a little off-topic, but I am reminded of how much of a ripoff TV shows on VHS were, not to mention what a waste of space it was. They put literally one episode per tape most of the time. To have a whole series you'd have to have a dedicated shelf just for that one, and probably pay ~$20 per, and for any longer-running series it was completely impractical.
It didn't end with VHS either.

I also have one here that's ten random episodes of Voltron. Sure, it's better than one episode, but it's hardly ideal.

Darthemed posted:

Would someone with some image editing skills be kind enough to mock up that last panel as it would be if they'd decided not to include the word balloon?
I could cut it off below the word balloon if you like, but redrawing the obscured foot is beyond me.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

They know what happened the last time that snake got on a bus.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

I don't know, could it be because this storyline was written by a giant creep?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Tiggum posted:

To be fair, I assume that's a full storyline with four episodes. The complete Tales from the Darkside I'm watching right now has eight per disc, but the quality is also just a bit better than VHS (I'm finding it rather charming though). The 10 random episodes thing is annoying though.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set is just thinking about value.

Working Daze isn't worth trying to figure out.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix gets to the drat point.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

catlord posted:

To be fair, I assume that's a full storyline with four episodes.
It is, but that's out of a 26-episode season, and if you bought all of classic Doctor Who that way it's 155 DVDs (as opposed to 26 if it was one per season). It's fine, I suppose, if you're just buying a few of your favourite stories, but it's ridiculous if you want a complete collection.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Tiggum posted:

It is, but that's out of a 26-episode season, and if you bought all of classic Doctor Who that way it's 155 DVDs (as opposed to 26 if it was one per season). It's fine, I suppose, if you're just buying a few of your favourite stories, but it's ridiculous if you want a complete collection.

True, but unless something radically changes you're never going to get a complete collection, so I guess that colours my perception of trying to get all of Doctor Who.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Releasing it one per story makes perfect sense to me because normal people can just get the ones they like while collectors are insane and if they're gonna drop so much dough on having a complete collection anyway they may as well be milked for a bit more.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Darthemed posted:

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer
Was Alphonse and Gaston ever archived anywhere online?

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
But wasn't Neddy's sweatshop collapsing and poo poo one hundred percent Neddy's fault and completely avoidable?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Like if she had built an actual factory with big wide escape routes staffed by capable, physically able workers instead of lovely shipping container death traps with no means of escape for the old, infirm people who operated in them?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

quote:

Viivi & Wagner

Man, Vivi & Wagner is just not funny. Like even if this concept wasn't poorly copied from Fight Club, this is just really, really not funny. I have to assume there was some killer punwork in the original language because this is like a black hole of comedy.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Why are they friends?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Savidudeosoo posted:

Why are they friends?

Social inertia

Many people have activity partners for some particular niche thing they like and then it just sort of bleeds over. Your choices are largely give up [hobby] or suffer irritating acquaintances.

That, or bad writing.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Strontium posted:

Viivi & Wagner

That's a real CatDog situation going on in panels two and three

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Calaveron posted:

Like if she had built an actual factory with big wide escape routes staffed by capable, physically able workers instead of lovely shipping container death traps with no means of escape for the old, infirm people who operated in them?

This hypothetical :airquote:lawful enterprise:airquote: would have begun and ended with two words: site survey.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

But wasn't Neddy's sweatshop collapsing and poo poo one hundred percent Neddy's fault and completely avoidable?

Yes. :allears:

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Phimosissy posted:

That, or bad writing.

I'd almost argue it's good writing (or at least better) as, initially, bootleg Quagmire's terrible personality traits were all presented as positive and Skip had absolutely no qualms with him. Really this whole arc is kind of fascinating to watch unfold as, previously, they treated his living with his mother as bordering on something to be desired. It's like someone finally pointed out to Reddick how bonkers that portrayal was.

Oh god, it's me, I'm the Intelligent Life reader.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

I'm afraid we're going to have to revoke his smartest henchman award. :eng99:

Pooch Café

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

This just gets better and better.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Slammy posted:

Feiffer (1971, click for big)

This was apparently quite true to life- most communes were one charismatic hippie guy letting the women do all the housework for him, and the women's lib movement grew out of women involved in other liberation movements who were sick of always being the ones who had to make the coffee.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Command Ant posted:

This just gets better and better.

Oh my yes.

HardHead
Nov 4, 2009

Bouncer, Hey bouncer.

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

HardHead fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Feb 4, 2017

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

I don't know, could it be because this storyline was written by a giant creep?

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Tiggum posted:

That was the episode being shown during the Max Headroom Hacking Incident.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

WickedHate posted:

Man, Vivi & Wagner is just not funny. Like even if this concept wasn't poorly copied from Fight Club, this is just really, really not funny. I have to assume there was some killer punwork in the original language because this is like a black hole of comedy.

Don't listen to this hateful wickedness. Keep posting V&W.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Pff. Dilbert's a stupid idiot for not planning his life in a way that he wouldn't feel like he needed time off.

Luann

Why is Bernice even here? A small thing worth appreciating is that Piro hasn't even acknowledged Bernice's presence.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (Dec. 5, 1994)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Tiggum posted:

At least 155 DVDs would still take up way less space than an equal or greater number of videocassettes.
:lol:
Aw there had to be one more 1972 fun fact they could have gone with. :(

F Minus

Mary Worth

They're hugging! In public! Heavens! Have they no shame?

Rex Morgan MD

Horrible Hank's just thinking about all the World Comic Con trim he's gonna get now.

Secret Agent X-9

Most of you probably don't know this, but shoe sales used to be highly regulated, requiring you to give your name and address for each transaction.

Apartment 3-G

What the hell is Tommie doing in that last panel?

Also:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

They're hugging! In public! Heavens! Have they no shame?

It's going to go like Arrested Development and after several weeks she realizes that he's mentally handicapped.

Nancy

Today's Dogg

Dustin

Mandrake

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The doggs all have fingers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Shut the gently caress up Gilchrist

• Locked thread