Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

remusclaw posted:

people have argued to me that Miyazaki movies aren't really anime because they are good,

I have an infinite amount of contempt for this kind of person and it's a mindset that's incredibly common on SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I can't believe I'm agreeing with Plutonis.What hath 2017 wrought?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Serious post. It's anime if that's how you picture it in your minds eye. Anime is about as descriptive a term as cartoon.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
OVA is the playable version of BESM.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Plutonis posted:

I have an infinite amount of contempt for this kind of person and it's a mindset that's incredibly common on SA.

sorry friend you just have to accept that All Anime Is Bad except anything toonami aired when i was 12 and gurren lagann

edit: jojo's too, goons are both allowed to like and encouraged to never shut the gently caress up about jojo's

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

remusclaw posted:

Serious post. It's anime if that's how you picture it in your minds eye. Anime is about as descriptive a term as cartoon.

Well, then I'm back to Maid being my anime game. Every other RPG I usually picture as variants of the Gold Box series.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Maybe the real anime was the friends we made along the way

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Eh, I don't know. You guys make a good point: anime literally means cartoon. Maybe that's the problem. A lot of anime games don't focus. Might be better if they were like "This is a battle manga out of shonen jump" or "this is a romcom like love hina or something equally as terrible." Maybe that's why I never feel "it" from anime games.

Also, yeah, goons can't shut the gently caress up about jojos.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Covok posted:

Also, yeah, goons can't shut the gently caress up about jojos.

Jojo is the best super hero comic, period.

Panic at the Dojo, Monster Hearts, Breakfast Cult, those are all anime rear end games, right?

edit: VVVV stuck in the 90s describes a whole lot of the overlap of anime fans and trad games fans

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

yeah i imagine alot of 'anime games' are still in that 90s mindset where marketing told all us kids that anime was a genre on its own so if you like one anime you'll like all anime so they try to make gundam and slayers and cardcaptor all playable in one system

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

oh btw the best shonen anime game? Marvel Heroic Roleplaying

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
so the real question is "How do i get myself, my players and my scenario's to be anime?"

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Ominous Jazz posted:

Jojo is the best super hero comic, period.

Panic at the Dojo, Monster Hearts, Breakfast Cult, those are all anime rear end games, right?

edit: VVVV stuck in the 90s describes a whole lot of the overlap of anime fans and trad games fans

Panic In The Dojo: Yes

Monster Hearts: gently caress no, that's a twilight game

Breakfast Cult: Maybe

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Breakfast Cult definitely. Cosmic horror and kids go together like peanut butter and chocolate in anime.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

sorry friend you just have to accept that All Anime Is Bad except anything toonami aired when i was 12 and gurren lagann

edit: jojo's too, goons are both allowed to like and encouraged to never shut the gently caress up about jojo's

*after my vision goes completely blood red for a while* Haha yeah that's a good impression.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Covok posted:

Monster Hearts: gently caress no, that's a twilight game

replace the spooky stuff with swords and you've got utena

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Covok posted:

By Anima do you mean Anima or Anima: Beyond Fantasy?

Anima is, to the best of my understanding, a ~*brand*~ of faux-anime games. Beyond Fantasy is the RPG variant, and here's it's character sheet.

Action packed!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

replace the spooky stuff with swords and you've got utena

It literally started life as a Twilight joke game before it was developed to be something serious.

Covok
May 27, 2013

grassy gnoll posted:

Anima is, to the best of my understanding, a ~*brand*~ of faux-anime games. Beyond Fantasy is the RPG variant, and here's it's character sheet.

Action packed!

Uh, that's not the Anima Beyond Fantasy character sheet. That's Eoris char sheet. Beyond Fantasy has a chart on the right hand sized so you can precalculate your percent damage.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Huh. I've seen it labeled as such in multiple places. Oh well, live and learn about terrible character sheets.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Anima: Beyond Fantasy: Someone's translated from Spanish MERP Houserules for Dragonball.

Anima: Tactics: the minis game based in the setting of the above.

Anima: Gate of Memories: Action RPG that apparently got kickstarted and successfully released, also based on the above? Color me surprised.

Anima Prime is...no idea, though I understand the rules got released under creative commons, so that's kind of neat but hasn't urged me to go look it up, but no relation to any of those. You can tell by the lack of colon.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Covok posted:

It literally started life as a Twilight joke game before it was developed to be something serious.

It's also probably the best-designed game ever made, even if I have no interest in the subject matter.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Serf posted:

It's also probably the best-designed game ever made, even if I have no interest in the subject matter.

That's a big claim.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Covok posted:

i know, i was just making a joke about them both involving teens and relationship drama

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
*walks onto stage, taps mic, clears throat loudly*

Monstersharts.

Covok
May 27, 2013

grassy gnoll posted:

Huh. I've seen it labeled as such in multiple places. Oh well, live and learn about terrible character sheets.

Not at my home computer so I'm limited in how I can respond, but here is page one of its actual char sheet:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Anima: Beyond Fantasy is the most incomprehensible book I've ever read in my life. I refuse to believe it can be understood, let alone played.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Here's to hoping that tRPG designers this year are more like Kandinsky and less like Henry Darger.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

When you have the right GM, any system is an anime system.

Edit: Or if I'm one of your players.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Covok posted:

[...]

[...]

My eyes! The burning! MAKE IT STOOOOHOOOOP!

Seriously, those are not the worst sheets Iīve ever seen in TG, but good, they arenīt. Why are the so dense? They look and feel incredibly dense!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Mr.Misfit posted:

My eyes! The burning! MAKE IT STOOOOHOOOOP!

Seriously, those are not the worst sheets Iīve ever seen in TG, but good, they arenīt. Why are the so dense? They look and feel incredibly dense!

In the case of the later, it might be related to the fact you need to reference a chart that takes up an entire bag whenever you need to calculate damage.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

unseenlibrarian posted:

Anima: Beyond Fantasy: Someone's translated from Spanish MERP Houserules for Dragonball.

Anima: Tactics: the minis game based in the setting of the above.

Anima: Gate of Memories: Action RPG that apparently got kickstarted and successfully released, also based on the above? Color me surprised.

Anima Prime is...no idea, though I understand the rules got released under creative commons, so that's kind of neat but hasn't urged me to go look it up, but no relation to any of those. You can tell by the lack of colon.

There's also the card game which kicked off the whole thing -- it's kind of a competitive JRPG with super-cheesecake art. I have it (all three chapters!) but have never played it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lol badass a hentai artist I follow on Patreon is doing art for Kingdom Death

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
In the latest KD update marvel as Poots writes at the level of a 7th grader and misspells the name of his own expansion five different ways

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Robotech is an anime game :colbert:

edit:

I'm on the fence about Exalted. I could see it being called an "anime" game or a "high-fantasy" game.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 7, 2017

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

remusclaw posted:

people have argued to me that Miyazaki movies aren't really anime because they are good, so gently caress if I know.

I think these people think anime means characters turning into chibi versions of themselves with blood pouring out of their nose, or the sweat drop thing, or wavy lines behind them or whatever happening.

They're wrong obviously but whatever

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

*slams door open, panting for breath*

Did an anime TTRPG discussion start and nobody mentioned Teenagers From Outer Space??

Seriously it's thirty year sold and still better than most of the modern attempts, at least for comedy-style gaming.

Asimo fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 7, 2017

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
No, no, it's cool, I did on the last page...as TFOS, which is probably why no one noticed.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Well it's still pretty great. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

unseenlibrarian posted:

No, no, it's cool, I did on the last page...as TFOS, which is probably why no one noticed.

I knew what you meant.

• Locked thread