Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Rand Brittain posted:

Flashy dude who can't stop scheming is Light-o and the sugar-powered detective is L.

Oh, really. Never caught that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Countblanc posted:

*walks onto stage, taps mic, clears throat loudly*nal

Monstersharts.

Finally, a game about mutant deer.

Ewen Cluney posted:

The key to understanding BESM is knowing that Mark MacKinnon loves Amber Diceless and doesn't believe that game designers have any power to help with things like game balance.

Asimo posted:

Well that explains a whole hell of a lot.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Being a dragon must be badass

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Plutonis posted:

Being a dragon must be badass

I'm the minotaur-satyr-centaur ring species.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

why can dryads bone down on literally everyone but lizards

what makes lizards so special

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Covok posted:

Oh, really. Never caught that.

I don't know why people don't pick up on O being L more often. :allears:

(Like half of Breakfast Cult's characters are dumb references really, though that might be a better topic for its thread :getin:)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Covok posted:

Meh, it's just trashy American teen romance. The fact it's identical trashy Japanese teen romance is a reality of the human condition.

I had no idea Japanese people were mormons...

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

I had no idea Japanese people were mormons...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harem_(genre)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Tenchi makes so much more sense now

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nuns with Guns posted:

Tenchi makes so much more sense now

Tenchi by canon ends up with all the girls, at least in the first OVA continuity

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

At least one of the writers for it was super into incest fetish stuff too. Which also makes some of it make so much more sense. :gonk:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
wondering what game to run next?

Here you go:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=827628497

Yes that is a Mi-go with a braincase.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

oriongates posted:

I will say, tri-stat BESM did do one thing that was different and showed a bit more thought than most "universal" systems as to how genre affects the values of a character's abilities (well, skills only if I recall correctly) and realized that if you're doing a romantic comedy set in not-Hogwarts then social and magical skills are going to be more valuable than being good at shooting someone in the face.

Yeah, skills only. And the core issue with that is that it encouraged you to create characters counter to whatever genre you were playing, because you could buy up nongenre skills and relied on the GM not letting your character solve everything with stealth and gunplay in your high school romance anime.

Then again you could accidentally make Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu that way, so YMMV.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Are there any d20-ish games that use 3 ability scores?
I seem to only ever see it pared down to 4.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

P.d0t posted:

Are there any d20-ish games that use 3 ability scores?
I seem to only ever see it pared down to 4.

Microlite20 only uses Strength, Dexterity and Mind.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, skills only. And the core issue with that is that it encouraged you to create characters counter to whatever genre you were playing, because you could buy up nongenre skills and relied on the GM not letting your character solve everything with stealth and gunplay in your high school romance anime.

Then again you could accidentally make Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu that way, so YMMV.

Well, ideally a well-run high-school romance game there just aren't going to be problems that can be solved with a gun, because you'll be spending your time getting into wacky hijinks and trying to get sempai to notice you. Trying to pass your Advanced Mathmagics exam with a gun isn't going to get you very far...

...unless you're inspired by Assassination Classroom...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KFwWlLeIqE

so yeah, YMMV

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Helical Nightmares posted:

Here you go:

Well you convinced me pretty well

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Helical Nightmares posted:

Here you go:

Now I'm thinking about ways to hack the Fate Core version of Bulldogs! to do this. Bulldogs! conditions seem kinda perfect, just need to add a sanity mechanic. Fate Freeport or Fate Achtung Cthulhu should provide something useful.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

I remember reading about an RPG with a sort of improvised spell list- you'd roll on a table of adjectives and a table of nouns and end up with stuff like "Blistering Shield" and "Nebulous Cone." Does anyone know the game I'm talking about?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jimmeeee posted:

I remember reading about an RPG with a sort of improvised spell list- you'd roll on a table of adjectives and a table of nouns and end up with stuff like "Blistering Shield" and "Nebulous Cone." Does anyone know the game I'm talking about?

Maze Rats

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
There was also the thing that MacKinnon fought tooth and nail against switching to a roll-over mechanic for BESM until David L. Pulver grabbed him, sat him down, and forced him to play out a combat with two guys with really high combat stats to see how miserable it was. Of course, that only happened in 3rd Edition, which only saw a limited print run because White Wolf rescued it from the dumpster fire that was Guardians of Order going out of business.

If the general concept of BESM as a relatively light universal RPG with anime flair appeals to you, then OVA is by far the better choice. OTOH I've realized that if you want to do anime-inspired RPG stuff, the thing to do is to stop thinking of anime as "special" and just sit down an analyze it like you would any other source material. It's also good to not limit yourself to anime for inspiration, especially since the better anime creators aren't doing that either.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Just give everyone blue hair. You gotta have blue hair.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Honestly if the character art that mostly gets used for PBP games here is any indication basically every game is anime anyway.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

thefakenews posted:

Now I'm thinking about ways to hack the Fate Core version of Bulldogs! to do this. Bulldogs! conditions seem kinda perfect, just need to add a sanity mechanic. Fate Freeport or Fate Achtung Cthulhu should provide something useful.

Bulldogs! kinda frustrates me since they spend all of one page talking about creating adventures and it's mostly "use aspects." I'm increasingly convinced all games should have, if not a sample adventure, a clear outline/picture of what a "typical adventure" is. Atomic Robo is also Fate and it had much better ways of giving the GM ideas.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

Bulldogs! kinda frustrates me since they spend all of one page talking about creating adventures and it's mostly "use aspects." I'm increasingly convinced all games should have, if not a sample adventure, a clear outline/picture of what a "typical adventure" is. Atomic Robo is also Fate and it had much better ways of giving the GM ideas.
You should have read the original version of Bulldogs. You wound up with something like 80 aspects in play at any given point, because it was using the old SotC "10 aspects per character" thing, then your ship had two aspects, your ship's captain had two aspects, the sector of space you were in had like three or four, and so on and so on.

But you're right; it's surprising that so few games have a "this is a typical adventure for this game/setting" chapter. Hell, Shadowrun still uses the stupid Stuffer Shack thing in all its books.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Food Fight isn't bad for learning the Shadowrun combat system, but that's all it's good for.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Maze Rats totally lifted that system from Freebooters on the Frontier.

-----

On the subject of Bulldogs! adventures, I'm not sure if I'll ever run it straight (so I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about what kind of games it wants you to run), but it has a bunch of stuff to lift for my own custom sci-fi games. They also just released the Heart of the Fury campaign to Kickstarter backers - so that might be a useful resource. I haven't looked at in any depth yet, but it's written by Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan who is usually good at that sort of thing.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Food Fight actually owns because it's a purely tutorial thing to lead you through the basics of combat while still doing a not that bad job at introducing the more comedic aspects of Shadowrun's assumed dystopian future. It lets you know right off the bat that Shadowrun's setting is the sort of place where a sudden violent shoot out at an even shittier version of a 7-11 is considered entirely ordinary and openly encourages the GM to describe the tofu-tots flying around or the miserable slurry of Freezee(tm) Drinks pooling for would-be robbers to slip and fall over.

Shadowrun 5e changed it to be a lovely McDonalds complete with trademarked fave "pick'ls" and a variety of appliances to used, whether it's vats of frying oils to spill out onto the floor (or dunk people in), or an electric grill that can be hacked and hotwired to fry others. And this time, you're the one hitting IT up. There's even an assortment if misery around to make things even more frantic, whether it's the recently divorced dad trying to drown himself in over-salted soy fries while his hyped on sugar substitutes and saturated fats daughter runs around screaming, the frantic college student who Just Needs To Pass This One Test and has a knife "just in case," or the guy who comes every week wanting to roll the place and has never had the guts to do so, potentially until now.

Look, it beats the endless versions of the Straylight Job that most cyberpunk ends up becoming.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ewen Cluney posted:

If the general concept of BESM as a relatively light universal RPG with anime flair appeals to you, then OVA is by far the better choice. OTOH I've realized that if you want to do anime-inspired RPG stuff, the thing to do is to stop thinking of anime as "special" and just sit down an analyze it like you would any other source material. It's also good to not limit yourself to anime for inspiration, especially since the better anime creators aren't doing that either.

Well, I mean, I think there really is a kind of nexus of "wow, this is so anime" that you could pin down to some level of definiteness.

It's kind of a mishmash of superheroes, coming-of-age stories, really flashy combat, and an exponential power scale. Basically rather than trying to emulate "Japanese animation" you're looking for a system that can model Sailor Moon, Naruto, Trigun, and maybe Revolutionary Girl Utena (if you feel ambitious) in a relatively unified manner.

You gotta lean into it, though, if there isn't deep mechanical support / incentives for yelling power names, struggling with your literal inner demons, and punching harder the more friendship you have, you might as well just use a generic system.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Slumbering Ursine Dunes has some good ideas in it

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/140450/Slumbering-Ursine-Dunes

I'm a big fan of the Golden Barge encounter where ghuls claw at your face, proselytizing about how they cleanse people from sin by eating their flesh. In actuality the ship is alive, produces the ghuls as sort of white blood cells to the PC's infection, and then the ship reabsorbs energy from the invaders by metabolizing the ghuls' issuances.

:catstare:

Yeah.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Well, I mean, I think there really is a kind of nexus of "wow, this is so anime" that you could pin down to some level of definiteness.

It's kind of a mishmash of superheroes, coming-of-age stories, really flashy combat, and an exponential power scale. Basically rather than trying to emulate "Japanese animation" you're looking for a system that can model Sailor Moon, Naruto, Trigun, and maybe Revolutionary Girl Utena (if you feel ambitious) in a relatively unified manner.

You gotta lean into it, though, if there isn't deep mechanical support / incentives for yelling power names, struggling with your literal inner demons, and punching harder the more friendship you have, you might as well just use a generic system.

You could probably do something similar to Spycraft 2.0's approach of having setting/campaign qualities as well. 2.0 had way too many of them for way too much granularity, but it could work to split up the differences between each kind of anime without making it a completely generic system. Just amp up the things that are very common in the setting and downgrade the ones that aren't.

Hopefully in a much easier to read one-page chart rather than 3 pages of normal two-column book text. Like most things in Spycraft 2.0, it's one step forward and then a drunken stumble until the next subject.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

that's still too many things to cram together to be good unless the actual point is to then look at the inherent friction between those elements.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Elfgames posted:

that's still too many things to cram together to be good unless the actual point is to then look at the inherent friction between those elements.

It's less about cramming together and more about figuring out the commonalities and building something out of that. The series I used as examples have radically different settings for example but setting isn't the important part to begin with; teenager problems blown up to cosmic proportions is. The guy who pegged Monsterhearts as an anime game was on the right track for the wrong reasons.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's less about cramming together and more about figuring out the commonalities and building something out of that. The series I used as examples have radically different settings for example but setting isn't the important part to begin with; teenager problems blown up to cosmic proportions is. The guy who pegged Monsterhearts as an anime game was on the right track for the wrong reasons.

monsterhearts is actually a fine anime game but even beyond settings each of those series has a tone and you'd do yourself a disservice by using the same game to emulate them. Also i think all generic systems are mostly bad anyway . also i think that any system can be made anime with the right mindset

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Ewen Cluney posted:

There was also the thing that MacKinnon fought tooth and nail against switching to a roll-over mechanic for BESM until David L. Pulver grabbed him, sat him down, and forced him to play out a combat with two guys with really high combat stats to see how miserable it was. Of course, that only happened in 3rd Edition, which only saw a limited print run because White Wolf rescued it from the dumpster fire that was Guardians of Order going out of business.

Out of curiosity, what is it that make OVA so capable as an anime game as opposed to something like GURPS, Mutants and Masterminds, or FATE?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

remusclaw posted:

Out of curiosity, what is it that make OVA so capable as an anime game as opposed to something like GURPS, Mutants and Masterminds, or FATE?

2/3 of those are incredibly bad.

Elfgames posted:

monsterhearts is actually a fine anime game but even beyond settings each of those series has a tone and you'd do yourself a disservice by using the same game to emulate them. Also i think all generic systems are mostly bad anyway . also i think that any system can be made anime with the right mindset

I don't think Balkanizing games based on tone is quite the right way to go about design.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I hope you are saying GURPS is the good one Eff.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

remusclaw posted:

GURPS is terribly fiddly and unwieldy at higher point totals, for one, and since the difference between a normal person (GURPS baseline) and an anime protagonist in terms of powers and abilities is usually quite high GURPS is a bad fit for anything other than like a light comedy slice of life high school anime.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm actually working on a game that's intended to draw upon Kino's Journey, Flip Flappers, and Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I was just trying to cover bases on relatively open systems by using those. More, what I am asking is what makes it a better anime game than whatever your favorite system happens to be. What about the rules makes it particularly anime?

Edit: Is OVA a good game, anime aside?

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 9, 2017

• Locked thread