Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huckabee Sting
Oct 2, 2006

A stolen King, a burning ego, and a gas station katana.

gradenko_2000 posted:

13th Age chat:

And even/odd by all means isn't even the only "tuning mechanism", as you can also say "whenever you roll a 16 or better ..." instead.

The problem is the player is forced to pay more attention to the dice roll, and the escalation dice than on what you would actually like to role play. You roll a dice and look at your chart to see what you can do. "I rolled a 17, which unlocks all my 16+ abilities, and all my odd abilities, but closes off my even ones, and I'm attacking on escalation dice 2, which opens up a few more abilities. The mechanic is present through out the whole system, and it just kills role playing, and bogs down combat. At least with per day use, or a resource mechanic, you always know what you can do, and can not do. There is not a bunch of information you need to parse every roll.

quote:

2. Diegetically-speaking, a Fighter having a Daily Power makes no sense, because why can't the Fighter twirl his sword in the exact same way a second time within the day to achieve the same result?

Why do we place limits on spell casting? Why can't a wizard summon fireballs every round? Only because we think that's how magic should work? Swinging a giant chunk of metal around will tire a person out really fast. Wearing out an opponent is a big part of boxing in real life. We have physical evidence that you can only do manual labor for so long, but we have no evidence that magic would be that way. It makes sense a martial would only be able to use their maneuvers so many times, because they only have so much stamina to do so. I'm not saying that casters need buffed, but placing a limit on martial power usage isn't so far away from real life as that train of thought tends to suggest. If we accept that there can be limits on martial powers we can open them up for more powerful abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huckabee Sting
Oct 2, 2006

I see. My knowledge of 4th is very little to none. Thanks for clearing that up even though you said it plain as day in your first post.

The way I see it the 13th Age method should fall under the same criticism as 4th did. It's an arbitrary limit on sword swinging. I'd say even more arbitrary because it makes less sense in the narrative than per-day powers.

Huckabee Sting
Oct 2, 2006

Serf posted:

Yeah, either all fights should be around your level or if they are so far below you that you could one-shot them you might as well forgo combat and resolve without rolling, since the outcome has already been decided.

When I DM Pathfinder I like to use enemies the players had fought before, but where difficult at the time, and use those enemies as fodder for a bigger bad guy/s.

I think it can be fun to see that your character has increased in power, and the carthartic release from destroying enemies you once had trouble with. Lastly, the world feels more alive by giving the illusion that there are more/less powerful creatures out there and everything isn't always exactly hard enough for your group.

• Locked thread