Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

All of the 5E stuff besides the beginner box is not great for a new GM. They are loaded with details that would bog down a new GM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

so, genuine question

what's the best RPG for running a setting primarily inspired by Heavy Metal, 2000AD, Berserk, and Manowar album covers

I'm thinking Shadow of the Demon Lord, DCC or LotFP

e: when I say 2000AD I mean stuff like Slaine and Nemesis the Warlock, not Dredd or Strontium Dog or etc

e2: unrelated but I just bumblefucked into running NBA: Dracula Dossier for my 5e group as a side game!

DCC is perfect for this. After level 0 DCC characters are heroic and with MCC out you can run some of the more sci Fi characters from 2000AD too

alg
Mar 14, 2007

^^^ DCC is top tier fantasy gaming

Serf posted:

Shadow of the Demon Lord is a way better system than 5e and has an absolute ton of published adventures that cover all the tiers of play. It also now has two full campaigns that can be run from level 0 to 10 right out of their books.

I like SotDL. What are the campaigns called?`

edit: found them. tales of the demon lord

alg fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 26, 2017

alg
Mar 14, 2007

why would you spend all that money and time to go to Gencon to just play D&D for 16 hours, you can do that anywhere

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Zoro posted:

What are the best games if you just want to play a fighter who isn't insta-overshadowed by the wizard in the party?

DCC Warrior has narrative/mechanical options in combat called Mighty Deeds that are really fun

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I am planning a DCC hex crawl for this fall/winter where players will crawl a small region with sandbox encounters between adventure sights featuring published DCC adventures. I used a lot of the guidance here: http://www.martinralya.com/tabletop-rpgs/my-dcc-rpg-hexcrawl-binder/

And I'll be using things like the D30 sandbox companion. Mostly my players want to play DCC adventures but feel like the world between them exists and they can influence it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

Dumb question, but anyone got a recommendation for a fantasy series in the classic sword and sorcery, D&D style? Something that isnt super deep, but can give me some inspiration as try to be a better gm

Fafrd and the Grey Mouser series by Fritz Leiber. Classic buddy story with a lot of ideas that inspired D&D

• Locked thread