Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I am glad Joking Hazard is fairly decent, because it has finally weaned some of my friends away from CAH. Also Telestrations was a godsend. You can draw your own dirty jokes and they don't have to be racist! Also you can draw kittens and stuff.

Really though if I have a gaming resolution it's to play more actual game-games. I got Big Book of Madness as a present, I'll have to see if I can get that into the rotation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Ratpick posted:

What games are there that actually have some manner of rules for character death beyond "roll up another character, you're dead Gary"?

I started thinking about this a while back because most traditional RPGs still have the idea that all fights are to the death and once you die you just roll up a new character. I know some games have qualifiers for character death (like "If you TPK the whole group it doesn't actually count for reals unless they were fighting a big baddy, but having the entire group beaten should carry some dramatic consequence") but I'm thinking more along the lines of games that actually prescribe in the rules what happens upon character death beyond having to roll up another character. Not necessarily even death, but codified consequences for what happens when you reach the point of critical existence failure where by the rules your character is taken out.

Examples of the sort of stuff I'm looking for: being reduced to 0 hp (or whatever the equivalent) doesn't kill you, but instead gives you a permanent scar of some kind; your character dying meaning that you immediately come back as some kind of undead with appropriate drawbacks; being killed meaning that you must roll a new character, but your new character already starts with some benefit relative to our previous character's power level or achievement (alternative: if your character dies in a really dramatic manner that perfectly encapsulates what the character was about, the player's next character might start with dramatically better benefits).

The reason I'm thinking about this stuff is that most RPGs are still based around what you might call challenge-based gameplay (i.e. the GM's role is largely one of setting up challenges and obstacles for the players to overcome) and death is almost always on the line in that sort of gameplay, but most games don't seem to consider the effects of death beyond having to scrap your character or waiting for the rest of the group to resurrect them.

Chronicles of Darkness has the possibility for dead mortal PCs to return as ghosts, though I am hazy on the specific mechanics involved. I imagine it wouldn't be a permanent state-change for the player (ghosts have very pressing mechanical needs) unless the campaign had a lot of ready ways for the living PCs to interact. Resurrection is much, much less common and certainly not assumed--a new PC would be more likely, though having the ghost hang around as an NPC is also possible.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Haystack posted:

Mushihi is very good, very chill depiction of people dealing with shinto-esque spirits.

Third this. As a person who does not like most anime for many of the same reasons HJ gave, I also really loved Shin Sekai Yori which starts out as a sort of fantasy slice-of-life thing about psychic teenagers, and then takes a hard left into...uncharted territory, and slowly unveils the sinister and terrifying elements of its setting.

I personally have been burned so many times by anime recommendations that I take almost all of them with a grain of salt but I did also end up liking One Punch Man. It toys a bit with anime genre conventions and as inoffensive as Genos is as a shonen-style protagonist, I still love seeing him get his face pushed in the dirt as a proxy for all the other stupid shallow power-fantasy characters he represents. Oh, and it's funny. The hero powers/themes are often are adorably absurd.

ETA: Holy crap, looking over Mutant Year Zero stuff, the Compendium 3 is

The New Kingdom of Deeproot: The fanatic and militaristic mutant rabbits’ stronghold in the Zone, built after their escape from Genlab Alpha.
Blackhand’s Bar, the headquarters of the famed Zone Riders and the lair of their secretive leader
The Garbage Masters, a tribe of mutant toads who have made a huge ancient garbage dump their home. Many Zone dwellers flock to the scrap digs, hoping to strike it rich
The Island of Doctor Life, where a mysterious machine being who survived the fall of Genlab Alpha has settled. Is the machine friend or foe?
The Squirrel Wars, a tale of hounds and tail runners, locked in endless combat. Can the players break the cycle of violence and save the forest from destruction?

militant rabbits and junktoads and and a Gene Wolfe reference

occamsnailfile fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 28, 2017

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Alien Rope Burn posted:

They've mostly been putting out adventures, from what I can tell. Guess they're trying to copy Pathfinger's success with that? Because if D&D has always had a problem it is the lack of adventures, to be sure.

(I often end up typing Pathfinger instead of Pathfinder and I'm just letting it go this time. Can't wait to start mistyping Starfinger.)

I vote this be entered into the curse-filter as new board canon

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Re: Discord chat, I've heard there are Discord dice bots available--anybody have any experience using those?

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
So this is a fairly idle question. When games have print-and-play items like decks of cards, how do you handle producing those? Do you print them out on normal paper and glue them carefully to a normal deck of cards, or some other solution? I guess this would also be a question for things like P&P boardgames with boards, do you paste those to posterboard? I know posterboard printers exist but my recollection of them is that they're a bit expensive. I guess for a game you plan to use a few times it might be worth it.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

Older goons who are used to having a 40+ hour job and trying to game, what is your advise to balance and budget time? I really want to run some more games, but I'm not in college anymore and my schedule is much, much tighter. What do you suggest for scheduling when all weekdays are effectively out and Saturday (until April 15th) is iffy at best? Like, I don't mean for you to give me a number as that is out-and-out unreasonable and arguably impossible. What I mean more is what you'd suggest from experience on how to budget time?

I very, very much prefer IRL and online w/ voice and I can never seem to keep devoted to a PBP for long. On the other hand, now I'm stuck behind a computer all day so maybe PBP is easier than when I used to be more out-and-about all day.

As useful time-budget advice in general, figuring out a way to cook ahead and things that can be prepared quickly helps free up a bit more evening time, particularly if you have friends over for dinner and then gaming (something I like to do), but even if not doing that--well, grabbing fast food is an option but not the healthiest one. Even one of the better grade of frozen dinners is superior if there's facility for heating it. If you're in a group of adults, coordinating dinner plans along with gaming plans can help everyone be on time.

As others have said, don't hold onto once-a-week for dear life, it just isn't always going to happen. It may even be a minority case. I've found as an adult that two hour sessions are perfectly adequate to accomplishing some useful game goals (at least in less crunchy games) as long as people are fairly focused. Ban laptops and phone-fiddling at the gaming table; basically the goal is to reduce distractions. If they aren't that into the game and would rather be texting, it might not be a good game for that person. It might not matter as much in college when you can just laze around and game all night but with short sessions the bullshitting has to take a back seat.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
No it is elves who are the real oppressors, upholding their singular notion of the status quo!

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Gland Growth

It's last in the list but at that point the neural network was figuring out how to give people magic cancer. Maybe it's good the list stopped there before we got to Power Word: Meatbag.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I would say Arthurian legend has sprawled out and spawned a lot of pretty good creations even in the modern day--and a lot of crap, of course. I mean, assuming we count Malory as the original creator (which is sort of dicey) many others came after and made something bigger out of the concept. It's in sort of a unique place though, being a thousand years old with a thousand different authors.

Sherlock Holmes is another canon that seems enriched by later contributions. A common thread with Lovecraft and Sherlock Holmes is that both are popular and beloved, and also in the public domain, so even a flashy failure doesn't have to forestall another attempt at a remake.

Also S T Joshi flounced off hilariously when the World Fantasy Award decided a bust of Lovecraft wasn't a good representation for the values of the genre anymore.

ETA: That's not true below, there are several kinds of legit non-Euclidean geometry, they're just mostly reserved for extreme math nerds.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

The funny thing is that whenever I read an excerpt from Joshi, he's ragging on Lovecraft for his plotting and style, which displeases some rabid fans.

Robert M. Price, the editor of Chaosium's fiction anthologies, also gets heat for saying that Lovecraft's godlike entities are not entirely sui generis and have some precedent in world mythology and literature.

I've read stuff from Joshi that was interesting and insightful even, he just has this territorial streak where only he gets to criticize Lovecraft, everyone else just "doesn't properly understand his works" and so on. This makes him mild to middling insufferable at least when he's writing about anyone else writing about Lovecraft.

Price is right as well, but it doesn't surprise me that fans take any suggestion of what they perceive as criticism personally. It's what nerds do after all.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

LuiCypher posted:

To be fair, anybody with a Ph.D in a certain field is going to get very territorial considering the amount of time and specialization that getting a Ph.D entails. They're likely to see anyone without the same level of academic rigor as amateur hacks whose additions to the field, in their view, detract from it as a whole and make his job harder.

To some degree this is true, but I know other PhDs in literary areas with a lot less ego about the whole enterprise. I mean, we should respect expertise, and getting a PhD is a lot of work. Whatever one may think of the profit involved in the enterprise, these are folks who bothered themselves to learn something very deeply and I get pretty annoyed by people who dismiss the opinions of experts as "just some academic with a piece of paper." It's a really lovely way of dismissing inconvenient truths that our society needs to stop doing.

On the other hand, the literary PhDs I knew personally are a lot better at handling clueless commentary as a possible teaching moment, or just picking their battles. I imagine to some degree it's just a matter of personality. Where does expert opinion end and ego begin? I don't even think Joshi is terrible in this regard, but he managed to luck himself into a specialization that can be both popular and seen as 'legitimate literature' so he gets read by more people outside the field than is normal. This does mean he'll have to deal with some really clueless nerds who think TVTropes has something useful to say about Lovecraft's work but he also dismisses more legitimate concerns even from other academics pretty freely. So. IDK. :shrug:

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I'll say this for GURPS: It's better than Pathfinder. :haw:

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Yawgmoth posted:

I dunno why you felt the need to set the bar on the floor before jumping over it.

I'm just bein' salty. Really I just want a GURPS 5th Edition written or at least edited by a proper tech writer and all of it done while Steve Jackson is held at gunpoint away from the process. Also I want a pony named Clip Clop.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Le Guin is, if not specifically leftist, at the least opposed to the idea of American/white/male exceptionalism and centrality, and actively works to promote alternative perspectives in her writing. Those who walk away from Omelas is considered a touchstone of dystopian fiction for simply asking what a perfect society should cost.

Joanna Russ reads a bit datedly now but The Female Man is a condemnation of a lot of mid-century American assumptions about gender, war, and hierarchy.

There's a whole big movement/history of feminist SF which can fall into the trap of being America-centric or overly white or many other such failings, but tends to be pretty anti-rightwing broadly.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
What do you mean by middle to low end? I've had good luck with ebay in the past, though my most recent experience was on the selling end and whoo boy what people will pay for old PSX and Saturn games, it's nuts.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, when I bought it at Gamestop the teller was basically like "Wait, why the hell is Nier $25?!" and me going, "Yeah, that's the cheapest I could find right now." It was just such a $10 bargain binner for so long. The real problem with Gamestop's failures is just having the physical videogame shrink even more than it already has - given they swallowed up EB and other stores - meaning there'll be less and less competition when prices jump like that, and one fewer big resource when games become hard to find.

Gamestop is an awful company but it's certainly not a net good for the consumer to have it implode, it means the market mostly shifts over to online marketplace sellers and physical specialty shops, which isn't great when seeking out games that don't exist digitally... or only exist digitally through piracy.

Yeah, I'm lucky enough to live in a city with multiple small used game trade-in stores and I still dislike Gamestop's primacy. Monopoly is the natural endpoint of unchecked capitalism and all and I guess there isn't much antitrust concern about vidyagames.

I cast the same kind of worried gaze towards Barnes and Noble--for a long time they didn't have a lot of fiction I was interested in, and their non-new sections are still really hit-and-miss for the stuff I want. Basically if it didn't come out in the last six months I'm better off ordering online...which makes B&N less competitive...which eases them further down the death spiral. These days you can't even find a little book chain in a lot of malls...or even all that many malls. Not sure if losing those is for the best or not, versus those extended outdoor shopping plazas where people drive rather than walk from store to store.

But that brings us back around to trying to sell boardgames and RPGs at a profit, and how nobody seems to be able to do it. :argh:

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Helical Nightmares posted:

Got an email from the Fragged Empire people

Those look really nice and I want to know more about them. I'm sure the KS will come up soon.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Kwyndig posted:

It's not broken like some of the other 2d20 games. It supports multiple eras of play fairly easily in the source books. Will post about 2d20 as a system later unless someone beats me to it.

Please do, since it's also the Conan system.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
So the new Bundle of Holding is for "Colonial Gothic" and I admit I had never heard of this one before. Is it any good, does it handle the whole complicated mess of US Colonial politics + monsters well, are the Native Americans more than mystical spiritually aware noble savages?

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
The F&F review of the Great Modron March has some good ideas for an adventure with a completely implacable, unkillable foe--most of the challenges revolve around ameliorating the damage it can cause and figuring out why it was happening in the first place. So challenges like 'remove food supply to weaken monster' could be fun, especially if you have to do that without also starving the refugees while 'gather the macguffins that comprise the monster's heart' is just standard adventure fare.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Kai Tave posted:

Yyyyyep, this is exactly me. So much about the adventure is actually not terrible, and the basic premise is a clever one...a town is being wracked by deadly storms as punishment sent by "heaven," the cause of which is a magic altar that enforces a strict set of ethics established by a Made God way back when, and if the PCs can't find the cause of "heaven's displeasure" the storms will continue until the town is destroyed...but then it turns out that yep, the cause is a sorcerer using the cover of a priest of a small temple to rape people as part of his magical rites. Also another dilemma introduced into the adventure is that the victims of this rape are also considered in violation of this lovely and inflexible ethics code governing the altar for "infidelity" and not coming clean to the authorities about what happened and the PCs have to find a way to deal with that and it's just a huge fuckin mess I cannot imagine wanting to bring to the table at all.

So in the grand tradition of "how can I fix this" TTRPG windmill tilting, I was thinking about how you could remove the rape element and preserve the "victim silencing" complication. Removing the rape is easy: replace it with literally anything else that could be considered "spiritually impure" for some reason. Slaying of pigs is an easy one, or any other animal--the local priest is using ritually impure animals to power some kind of ritual and the old altar is flipping its poo poo about it. Silencing the victims is slightly harder, since why wouldn't you just tell people the priest made you kill a pig and/or eat pork? If the local populace viewed the activity with equal disdain then you'd get people refusing to speak up for fear of censure or banishment. Maybe only an 'untouchable' class is supposed to handle butchery and the violation of that taboo can cost one their entire social standing. You can also have thugs in the priest's service menacing people, though handling those isn't really a big deal for Godbound.

You could go with human sacrifice if you wanted to keep the 'edgy' element but that feels a bit more played out to me, plus finding sacrifices in a relatively small population can be a challenge. Could be a suborned innkeeper 'donating' travelers or something.

I'm still not going to buy the module despite liking Godbound and Crawford generally but at least I don't feel like I need to avoid future products on the basis of this one.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Yeah what Maltose said, if you want a climactic battle--give the altar a guardian. But that is another good way to salvage the hook and even use sexuality in a more positive way.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

It's the same problem as old editions of D&D where spells have specific, measurable, reliable effects, but noncasters have to negotiate with the DM to accomplish things besides rolling to hit.

And in fact, this speaks to a much bigger and more widespread problem. Most games have far more detailed rules for combat than they do for using skills. Players go for combat stuff because they know combat will definitely happen eventually, and the stakes are life and death. But will you ever use that History skill? This problem is exacerbated in games with a long list of very specific skills.

Let's say you're using a system like FUDGE/FATE. Jeff explains to Bob how Batman is tricking Flash into running facefirst into a wall. Batman rolls his Deceit skill and inflicts Stress as if he were using a weapon. Fine.

OTOH, say you're in the Mutants & Masterminds game I was in, where a player wanted to defeat a villain by collapsing a building on him. Not only did the player have to justify it by saying he had a weapon that could destroy a support beam, the GM wanted to make sure that the explosive batarang (or whatever it was) actually had enough power to defeat the pillar's toughness. Then he determined the difficulty of dodging a collapsing building. Then when the villain failed, he actually Googled the weight of 4 stories worth of bricks and looked the weight up on a table to determine the damage and gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

Ahem. Uh, and in conclusion, superhero games should use a relatively loose, narrative system.

To reiterate what ARB said, this sounds like the GM was massively misunderstanding how M&M is generally supposed to work--"knock over a building on the villain" sounds like an area stunt to me, and possibly an environmental hazard ("okay but you also risk being hit by debris/the ground is now covered in obstacles") that should not in any way require googling the weight of a building. Area damage doesn't check defense, it just hits but can be mitigated with a reflex save. It also can't be pushed in tradeoff since it doesn't roll to-hit so a falling building would do exactly the attack's base PL (usually the hero's/campaign's PL) in damage and wouldn't usually be a one-shot.

Like, dealing with your version of events would get a similar reaction from me but I've played a pretty large amount of M&M and that was not a thing.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
So, re: WFRP, I played in a fairly disastrous attempt at a campaign years and years ago. I am not sure if this was 1E or 2E.

But basically, the GM had "all of the campaign books" for some longrunning adventure series. We made characters; I chose the 'be slightly older and so more experienced' and still had a less than 40% chance to hit a person in combat. Granted, I had rolled Thief, so I had some other abilities...but my best scores were all in the 30-40% range. The adventure itself involved us having ale spit on us by noblemen and then being blamed for their murder, and then being nearly killed ourselves by enemies described as random street thugs, and then being railroaded into investigating some crap happening in the sewers.

We discovered that the 'stuff happening' was 'chaos stuff' as one might expect (I really don't recall much more than that) and we took some steps to solve the immediate problem that would stave off our executions, but did not report the greater threat to the council. After how shittily literally every person in the module had treated us, we felt they deserved what they got, and left. This pretty much killed the campaign right there since the module assumed we'd be more heroic to people who were using us as scapegoats and forcing us to do their dirty work.

Some of that might have been the GM who definitely had the attitude of 'this is REAL medieval game none of this cinematic entitlement' but I don't think the 'literal shitfarmer' impression people have of WFRP is completely misguided. It certainly felt that way playing in that game. The reviews here have made me more interested in the setting, and willing to look at the system again--this campaign was a really long time ago.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Plutonis posted:

"lol", "lmao" or "haha"

For people who actually have to deal with dipshits like this guy, it's more than just a quick laugh--poo poo like this is why women don't game, when the hobby harbors toxic idiots. Fortunately she seems to have the situation under control and the support of the store owner so that's good. Hopefully he'll get a clue before he goes on a shooting spree.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

FMguru posted:

I always thought there was a huge disconnect in the Lovercratian mythos. If us humans are so insignificant on the cosmic scale, as far below these titanic entities as we are above amoeba and as capable of understanding or even comprehending them about as well as that amoeba is capable of comprehending us, then why do they bother messing with us at all. If we are but gnats to them, then why does Nyarlathotep deign to gently caress with us, grant power in exchange for sacrifices, and trick power-hungry sorcerors into corrupt bargains? I mean, even cruel schoolkids have better things to do than torture gnats. Furthermore, if they're so powerful, why can simple human spells bind them or dispel them or invoke them? Why should Hastur care that a tiny insect has sacrificed its child to it with a curvy dagger and dolorous chanting? Why does Yog-Sothoth bother trying to breed an avatar on the Whately family? Why can reading some words from an old book and wiggling your fingers in a pattern interfere with their plans? Why do these cosmic entities need priesthoods and sacrifices and ceremonies?

I think generally speaking that there's too much focus on the "big guns" in the mythos sometimes--yes, sometimes, you can summon Cthulhu, but it's specifically when the stars are right and you have to perform a horrible ritual. A lot of the larger entities create insanity just from reading about them, thus the mysterious texts that characters read or have heard about somewhere and speak of in hushed tones. Still you don't even have to run into those--they're just the most popular. Flying Polyps can really wreck your day with sourceless windstorms, star vampires can...suck, and maybe you'll buy a new house in a valley that's housing a predatory shade of the color mauve. A lot of the tales themselves just feature smaller servitors, nightgaunts and ghouls, and shoggoths and maybe the big guys get name-dropped but don't participate.

Also stuff like Yithians where the horror isn't any particular thing that they do (to humans), but how insignificant they make humanity with their agelessness. To some degree that particular existential terror has faded, but there was a widespread belief in the past (it has if not a Christian origin, a strong link to that faith in the West) that the world was made for people, that we are at the center of it, and we are loved by the power which made this world. Lovecraft was suggesting the cold, horrible, opposite--it's why so many of the deities are described as being some version of entropy or chaos incarnate. Bad things happen to good people, and absolutely nothing out there gives a poo poo. The same strain of thought leads to opposition towards evolution, because again humanity is supposed to be at the center, not just the product of a million years of random monkey loving.

Also there's the human sacrifice and stuff, your more standard horror tropes, but gore horror takes a lot more art than it used to to crack most of our hard modern candy shells.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Wow, that guy really imploded after his 'I'm not opposed to diversity but--' memo was not received as well as he had hoped.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Getsuya posted:

Finally Japan is getting Kindle versions of their tabletop RPGs out, and a bunch (like 5) of homebrew systems are showing up on the Kindle store too. Finally I can get back to collecting random Japanese TRPGs without having to eat the shipping costs.

Also the Dark Souls TRPG is available in Kindle format. I kind of want to try it but the reviews are bad and I don't feel like spending $15 on it right now.

Are they available in the US Kindle store? I don't have a spare device I can set up for other countries unfortunately.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

slap me and kiss me posted:

One thing that's always bugged me about random hit locations is that it is not especially difficult for a practiced combatant to hit what they're aiming at.

This, in GURPS--aiming 'for the torso' is a -1 on top of the already tough range rules and would generally be a pretty substantial increase in the chance of 'missing entirely' instead of 'hitting the wrong place', but the hit location chart in the book was like 90% limbs I swear, and once you've crippled a limb you don't accomplish much with further damage to it.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Tendales posted:

SJG has started advertising a Munchkin CCG.

God help us all.

Did WOTC's patent expire or something?

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
This talk of premade MtG decks makes me sad the PC releases have been sucking so hard/ceased existing.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

fool_of_sound posted:

One of them, 2014 maybe? was pretty cool because it didn’t let you free build; it was all gimmick decks that you just unlocked more advanced strategies for as you ‘leveled’ then

Yeah, there were a couple like that (I would buy them on sale, play through the 'campaign' content and call it done) which were alright. I don't have the will and time to freebuild, which involves getting to know a shitload of cards and probably reading online guides and so on. The limited game version was okay for me as the most casual of casuals--I suppose I could do that with the premade card decks but then I'd need to find another seriously marginal magic player and then we'd have to buy several decks to keep up variety and so on.

Though I would love an updated remake of the 1995 one that was like a little wandering RPG. That did require freebuilding but it was actually a fun mode, plus it had all that banned broken moxy stuff in it.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
My experience with 3E was almost entirely Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2, so when people complain about 4E being 'like a video game' I'm like 'yes please make one'. ::(:

Also of course the ridiculousness of claiming 3E is a creative land of freedom & creativity and 4E is all blinkered rules, man.

I mean I'd rather not sit down to TT and play any edition of D&D, I'd like to play almost literally anything else, but they do make some good videogames.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Honestly that Noelle Stevenson tweet above sounds less like something in an actual game and just the kind of joke she'd put into one of her comics--and I like her comics a lot. Her comics also involve a lot of adventure stuff and fighting of monsters and if I were sitting down at her table for D&D I would expect a generally light tone but still monsters, hidden temples, and old grudges. I would not expect a game trying sell itself as 'grown up' and I'd be okay with that.

The second one just sounds like a description of a stealth failure--you try to hide in the cupboard and fail with comedic description of failure. We don't know what the consequence or why the character was hiding because Twitter is a horrible medium. Like, I'm not getting the disgusted annoyance with it.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember a brief window when adult MLP fandom was about how nobody can beat me up for liking girl stuff now.

Instead of just, you know, hating girls

I do remember this brief window in time and it was something that made me happy for that reason...until they went and ruined it. Also the show's creator kind of ruined the show IIRC but I actually never watched it.

Hoping the brony-types have all been drawn to the Rick & Morty honeypot and leave Steven Universe alone.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I'd also suggest that one reason people don't mind Laura so much is that the Logan movie made her cool, much in the way that the Iron Man movies made Iron Man cool. Like, I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that the movies really invented the character for the popular imagination. Iron Man had been a washed up nonentity for years who hadn't been able to sustain his own book in over a decade and then boom! RDJ sulks handsomely onto the screen and Iron Man is a thing that people care about, and they managed to do this while Civil War was in the process of being awful and painting him as a villain.

I don't feel like it's a stretch to say that Laura has some of the same effect boosting her, while Jane Foster Thor aggressively isn't Chris Hemsworth.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

fool_of_sound posted:

It's useless because it focuses on categorizing literally everything rather actually discussing the use thereof.

This. TVTropes wants to sort all culture into little boxes and it really has to cram things in there to try and insist that they fit, they WILL fit, dammit everything fits under its proper Proper Noun! Add to this that a lot of tropers, including the site admins themselves, reject the idea of discussion and examination--they already sorted the legos, what, how dare you imply that their waifus are sad and shameful.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Blasphemeral posted:

But that makes it easier for other people to discuss the works. That's simply not the goal of TV Tropes, so they don't do it. Not doing a thing that is not your goal doesn't make you bad at what you do :psyduck:

Broadly, categorization of culture is bullshit, and even a lot of reputable scholars think this. Campbell's "universal motifs" are not universally present, for instance, and TVTropes is no Campbell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
It feels incredibly dated now but JMS's Rising Stars was an attempt to do 'superpowers in a real world' and parts of it were okay, the heroes did ultimately try to help the world and partially succeeded. Stormwatch and The Authority also sorta kinda tried to do the world-changing thing, but not very well--though they were hampered by just about everything that can go wrong with comic publication. Oh, and WildCATS 3.0 in which some dude whose name I can't even remember attempted to change the world by selling batteries made with alien supertech...that last forever. I think it made it to like twenty issues?

Changing the world just requires a universe that can be allowed to become unrecognizable or at least fairly different from our own through heroic events. It also has to explain why punching Dr. Poverty will end world hunger, or maybe think of a better solution to those kinds of issues than violence, and as someone else mentioned, people like seeing fights. It sticks out more with superhero stories because they are so very powerful, but the same jankiness is at work in most 'modern' settings with supernatural elements. What vampires, I see no vampires! Certainly not dueling in the streets with werewolves!

ETA: They're Not Like Us is the reverse of all this, in which people with special powers go out of their way to avoid being noticed or changing anything so they don't get hunted down or otherwise hurt.

• Locked thread