Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Rand Brittain posted:

I just looked at the preview of Eoris on DTRPG and wow, I'm totally pulling this out the next time somebody calls Nobilis incomprehensible metaphysical jibberish.

Nobilis 2e was 100% comprehensible if you read the book straight through. 3e maybe not so much considering the game includes neither a sample of play nor a sample of actual character generation (it has lifepath generation, but no actual stats, which seems insane).

If you want actual nigh-incomprehensibility you can stick with Jenna Moran and pick up Wisher, Theurgist, Fatalist & Weaver of Their Fates, also known as WTF, or sometimes by the full initials of WTF&WTF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

hyphz posted:

I've run 13th Age, and I didn't find it all that easy, in part because of the vagueness of skills and paratrooping Icon rolls. Haven't tried SotDL though.

Trick to running skills in 13th Age:

GM: "The following challenge is before you, and you must roll a 15 to beat it!"
Player: "I think my background [x] applies."
GM: "Why so?"
Player: "because [insert justification here]"
GM: "OK, so it does." [regardless of justificiation]

Seriously, either your group as a whole will go wild with it, or will self-police. It's all good.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

AW2e is good. Masks is good. Night Witches is supposed to be pretty good.
Epyllion is MyLittlePony except with dragons and they use the pronouns 'dre/dris'.

No opinion on the others.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Infinite Oregano posted:

What is 'The Die' and is it better than RPBot?

I know there are two different Discords both of them claiming to be the 'SA Trad Games' discord and I dunno what the difference between the two is meant to be other than I assume some people in one of them don't like some of the people in the other one.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Eberron is not meant to be "ooh everyone has a dark past" it's just meant to be pulp adventure in postwar like the roaring 20s. It isn't any more a cynical setting than Spirit of the Century is - they operate in pretty much the same setting tropes, Eberron just also has dragons in it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Plutonis posted:

Today I went to one of the tabletop groups in my city and played the retroclone "Old Dragon" and I remembered why I dislike OSR games.

Instead of playing retroclones instead play cool games that just decide they like HP AC and the six stats, like Godbound and Beyond the Wall.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Plutonis posted:

brazilian zombie apocalypse PBTA

In what world is this not the go-to?

Having the Apocalypse be 'zombie apocalypse' was actually how I played Apocalypse World the first time, it was pretty cool and we decided the 'psychic maelstrom' = 'temporarily immersing in the zombie hivemind'.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

drrockso20 posted:

Those are Retroclones though, just ones that change stuff around more than most

Retroclones try to actually be a clone of a game, sometimes with some minor changes for flow or mood. Dark(er) Dungeons is a retroclone of BECMI DnD.

Godbound is an original game with god powers and no classes and stuff, it just happens to be compatible with old DnD stat-wise and has things like HD and AC and STR/WIS/DEX/etc because that's what the author likes.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

It strikes me that there might be people in this thread who have not read Dungeon Meshi/Delicious In Dungeon.

Everyone should go do that whenever you have the time, there's official English versions as well as scanlations online, and it's hilarious and great.

Playing DnD and similar fantasy games and not having read Dungeon Meshi is like playing World of Darkness frequently and yet having never seen What We Do In the Shadows.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

While the reinforcement of it as 'right and good' as a metaphysical truth (not just an entrenched societal view) is odd, I get what L5R is trying to do and it's repeated in his other game Houses of the Blooded. It's trying to create and enforce that style of fiction about honorable duels and courtly love and general courtliness and filial obligation and all that sort of thing. Being rootless is the opposite of that kind of story.

My first ever exposure to L5R was actually The Dragon novel in the Clan War series. I was just gifted it as a kid by someone who thought it was time to expand my fantasy beyond just European.
I suppose if you squint, Ree Soesbee looks like it could be an Asian name too :downs:
The Dragon is actually reasonably well-written. I think I remember looking up later and finding out a big chunk of context was missing from not reading The Crab first though to find out the backstory of why those guys are now evil.
Although it was pretty cool to read the bit in the novel where the heroine now has a super-jade prosthetic hand and is ready to kick her rival's rear end and then when she sees him SURPRISE he has a magical crabclaw for a hand!

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 5, 2017

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

unseenlibrarian posted:

FFG L5R, now the best RPG for Blade of the Immortal gaming.

Reminds me of a very dumb DnD3.5 build.
The 'Factotum' is a class built to be the ultimate dabbler, and it gets big bonuses to skills.
'Iaijutsu' is a skill in an Oriental Adventures supplement. You use the skill as you draw a weapon to get a big bonus on the first attack, on the scale of many d6es if you get really high.

Normally, drawing is a move action so you can only draw one thing per turn anyway.

The 'Gnomish Quickblade' is a weapon from some supplement that's basically a butterfly knife.
If you're trained in its use... drawing it is a free action.

So the build is just repeatedly flickering this tiny weapon for giant damage.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The good way to handle order-giving / mind urging in a player-on-player sense is you tell someone to do something and if they follow the urge to do it, they get XP or a fate point or similar thing.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Actual answer for ASMR in case people are genuinely confused:

Have you ever gotten kind of a pleasant tingling in your head when, like, thinking about something, or listening to something, or (if you think way back, this is a pretty big one for some people) as a child in school having your head checked for lice?

ASMR is the made-up name for that phenomenon and the videos attempt to induce that feeling for relaxation purposes.

I believe 'ASMR roleplay', unless people are seriously trying to do it at the tabletop, is "I will roleplay as your barber and use these haircutting scissors near the microphone to try and make sounds that create that feeling".

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Halloween Jack posted:

No.

Is this, like, the opposite of piss shiver?

Some people never get it.

Some people say it's the same thing as 'getting chills' when you listen to good music (aka 'frisson' which is a real term) and others say "no it is similar but somehow different".

The two best-known triggers for the feeling are clicking/tapping sounds that are close-by, and the feeling of 'inspection/attention' - sometimes to the viewer, but often to some object. So many videos combine those two aspects.

So yeah pretty girls can invest into a microphone and easily rack up a bunch of views if you want since some people just want a woman to talk to them.

On the flipside you can get into some unusual territory.
Anyway here's a plague doctor analysing a telepathic watermelon for an hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zam12Ae1-68

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Kai Tave posted:

Red Tide is a game specifically designed to be played with one player and one GM

Slight correction here, Red Tide is a setting book and also a guide to making your own sandbox setting. As already mentioned, Scarlet Heroes, which is nominally set in the Red Tide setting, is the system for playing one-on-one games.

Terrible Opinions posted:

So what are the best/most interesting retroclones anyways? I've been wanting to give some a whirl but there are a huge number to choose from.

I can recommend Godbound because it's a fun comparative project in Kickstarter handling vs the actual Ex3 product. Godbound is, as mentioned, OSR Exalted But Not poo poo / Actually Good. It's also free to download. The nice thing is that the powers system it uses is theoretically portable over other light systems you like without too much conversion necessary (just the equivalent of damage dice, and whatever the equivalent of 'the best armor value' is) so while in the book it's layered on top of a basic DnDish system you can apply it onto what you want.
Crawford also outright states that there's no way any demigod is going to stick to whatever plot you have as a GM, and so it has plenty of advice and tables and suggestions for playing a sandbox game and coming up with quick plots on the fly.
The free version includes everything you need for the game. The Deluxe version mostly includes the stuff that's 'Exalted-ish' in case you're doing a full or tonal conversion - Godwalkers (mecha), Strifes (martial arts), and 'Themed Godbound' (aka different types of Exalted).

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The rules are less of a mess than most of the other 'demigod games' like current Scion and Exalted.

It's tonally different from Exalted, but it delivers on the same 'elevator pitch' idea that grabs people - "Fantasy demigods in a falling-apart world that needs saving".

I GMed a couple sessions and I didn't notice powers being too imbalance to cause issues. Like yeah obviously "curse someone's bloodline" in Fertility isn't gonna be as globally applicable as "call lighting down on people" in Storm but there's no inherent restrictions on what people take, and generally speaking the advice the game gives for making powerful NPCs is one that can be given to players too - have at least one power you can use offensively that seems good, one that can be used defensively (by default, one of the automatic AC3 powers, but if they like wearing heavy armor or have a better idea, go nuts) and one generally applicable "cool" power.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Bedlamdan posted:

Ereshkigal goes down almost immediately because she didn't take the right Gifts, and I could summarize the entire fight as Mammon vs. Ares and his two wacky sidekicks.

And I mean, yes, people could argue that this was a white-room scenario but that was also the excuse people kept on giving for Exalted 2E. :colbert:

It's also a fight between three max-level Godbound and one max-level 'appropriate' enemy where only one of the Godbound is as built for battle as the enemy. It's not a great scenario but it's also, even not in a white-room, not a common scenario unless you're starting a campaign at that high a level against that high a threat.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Bedlamdan posted:

I understand that, but looking at the rules themselves, there doesn't seem any reason not to take a Word like Endurance and a Gift that fiats away mental attacks, and then tank away any conceivable threat to your person as long as Effort is retained. Which is a problem that homebrewers spent forever grappling with re: Exalted.

As you level up in the game, maybe.

But starting out... a guy I had was playing a 'Pirate Merchant Prince' sort of guy and he was just more interested in having the Word of Wealth and taking the Sustain the Multitude gift so that he was welcomed wherever he went to be a travelling 'wealth party'.
And then he also took the Sea word with Body Of Water as a defence and, completing the ocean bit, the Sky word to call winds and lightning.

Basically what I'm getting at is:
Godbound isn't any better balanced than Exalted, despite its lower crunch. However, it makes the Good poo poo more obvious, and easier to weigh the costs and negatives up against "I want to be the owner of the party boat".

You can take the Endurance word if you want to be Mr Invincible, but when you want a cult to worship you it's also nice to be able to stroll into town with the Health word and go "Yo, Ender of Plagues here, I can cure the sick."
Which is actually what happened when I first ran it - as a test run I literally ran a converted version of the absolutely lovely 3.5e 1st-level adventure 'The Burning Plague'.
Party rolled into town, saw the plague, and one guy said "Hey can I just... cure this as a Miracle of Health?"
"I suppose you can! You can tell the people will get re-infected over time, though - seems like something underground is contaminating their water."

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Evil Mastermind posted:

I feel like the only system I can think of off the top of my head that'd work well for Exalted-style stuff is Fate, because you need something with a flexibility that allows you to be the Incarnate of Whatever and do things that make sense for being the Incarnate of Whatever, but without the need to sit down and stat up every individual power. You need something loose but with a mechanical backbone you can hang things off of.

Nobilis is the game about doing this. On the flipside, Nobilis 2e (and 1e, which it expanded on) was not attainable legally for a good while, and Nobilis 3e has better rules but is much uglier visually and is missing things like an example of play or sample characters. Better rules, much worse book.

It also might be too high-powered for what people want.

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's funny that Bruce Cordell's Cypher-based Gods of the Fall basically made zero splash in this subgenre.

Cypher system itself is not looked upon fondly everywhere, and also, Gods of the Fall ain't free like Godbound is. If Godbound was just another $20 PDF being sold it wouldn't get as much talk. And the fact that it's free and yet has decent art and is laid out well is a bonus.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

hyphz posted:

Oh god, freeform forum RPs are still hilariously terrible.

The main issue I had back when I did public freeform RP is that once you get past poorly spelled half-catgirls half-demons, you get into the dickwaving contests of "I can type more words than you" and "I have a fancier html/bbcode/phpBB template I apply to all my posts".

This was on Gaia Online. Still, I had some good times in my teens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

If you're playing a freeform-skills game and your player comes up with an entertaining stretch for how their background or whatever works just let them all do it all the time. It's cool and fun. Just make sure everyone builds their starting backgrounds or paths or whatever with varied enough backgrounds they can half-rear end justify in any situation!

• Locked thread