Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
I've been working on The Next Project for something like 2.5 years now (off and on; did lots of running and a little bit of fundraising in 2016.)

I've got 15 classes all playtest-ready, so while the DM-side stuff isn't written down yet, I might run a playtest sooner rather than later, just so I can iron out any bugs/math fuckups on the player-side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I'm in the market for feedback on the rules for my D&D clone that I'm writing. If anyone here is interested, shoot me a PM or reply here.
Are there any other good threads or other places where I should ask around?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

13th Age chat:

So first off, this is a Talent, which means it's always on, so it's no skin off your nose if it doesn't go off.

So it's statistically unlikely to happen, but it can happen any time the trigger is met. Sounds like it creates a lot of niggling over not much benefit, which was my point.
Huckabee Sting has pretty succinctly illustrated how inconvenient it is in play, I just also happen to think this specific example is bad design.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
New blogpost for my D&D clone "The Next Project" is up, basically a year-in-review kinda thing.

I've already made a huge changelog of stuff that I've been fixing/tweaking since the Christmas break, so that'll probably constitute the next blog post, or maybe the one after that.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Are there any d20-ish games that use 3 ability scores?
I seem to only ever see it pared down to 4.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

AlphaDog posted:

Sometimes I'm happy when I don't get a joke.

:agreed:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Elfgames posted:

I hope you have included popular new genres like "stuck in a vr mmo"

Arguably that's just dot hack and therefore not "new"

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
My latest blogpost for The Next Project is up.

Today's post: basically working to whittle down all the character classes to a fine point.

One class has been renamed! Click to find out which one! :ohdear:

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 16, 2017

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
New blogpost is up for The Next Project

After completing and posting all of the classes in the lead up to the holidays, I've been making some tweaks to various classes here and there; today's post is a list of the changes that have been made so far.

I think as far as numbers go, they're mostly done now (barring feedback/playtesting uncovering bugs) so I'm going to try and work on some of the more aesthetic changes.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

2017 is looking good for me. Just had my "annual review" and got a 7.5% raise! :woop: And I have business cards now, which is pretty nifty.

Anyone else have good news to share?

I wouldn't call it news, but my injured leg seems to be slowly improving, and I have been gainfully employed for like 4.5 years at the same place now.
Also, I live in Canada so I get free healthcare, if I ever wanted to get my leg looked at by a doctor v:shobon:v

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

Hell, the first Dragon Age was practically variant D&D as is and they didn't use any kind of license. You can't copyright mechanics so as long as you don't put dice rolling on the screen or use any actual IP (certain monsters, locations, NPCs, and spell names) you could rip off 3.X wholesale when building a computer game.

I know you're talking about computer games and poo poo, but how copyrightable is the "d20+mods vs. TN" mechanic?

Like, the first TTRPG I wrote up didn't use d20 partially because I wasn't sure that was something you're allowed to rip off.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
New blogpost is up for The Next Project.

I wanted to pull back the curtain a little on the game's math and touch on some other things as well, but my DPR analysis is not complete as of right now.

The classes have all been linked in the Core Rules doc, which is in the sidebar of the blog; if anyone would be willing to pick their favourite class and run the numbers on it, I'd be much obliged :tipshat:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

I've always thought that 5e is less actively bad than incredibly disappointing. It wouldn't really take serious design chops or problem solving skills to give fighters/rogues/rangers powers of the same importance as the ones wizards and clerics get, just time and the basic conviction that it'd be a good idea. Then you'd have a serviceable game which is written more obtusely than 4e was but requires considerably less overhead and accountancy at mid to higher levels of play.

From what I've read of gradenko's excellent detective work, at the outset of 4e the design team went in with the idea that all classes would have powers; from the monster math (if not the early adventure design) it was also pretty clear that their intention was that PCs should actually be capable of handling what you throw at them.

5e throws all that out of the window. As much as I admire the ways in which its core math is a direct refinement of 4e's (albeit I don't have complete faith in the AC or Saves' scaling) the change back to a game based around the 3.5 spell list was a huge backpedal from something I thought made 4e a big improvement over its predecessor.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Latest blogpost for The Next Project is up, this time talking about backgrounds (Knowledge Skills, Performance Skills, and Power Sources.)

So, if that's your kind of thing, give it a read! The list of skills hews kinda close to 4e, but does dip a little into 3.5 territory.

On that note, are there any must-haves that I left off the list? What are the goon-favourites in terms of background stuff?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't know that I like the distinction between First Aid and Medical. I mean, I get the difference between "patching up wounds" and "identifying bodies and remains", but naming the latter skill "Medical" implies that it's also, or just, Advanced First Aid.

Maybe call it Forensics? Biology?

That's the only thing that really stood out to me.

Yeah, the basic idea is that if you're playing the general practitioner, you'll wanna dip into both skills.

"Medical" knowledge in the D&D sense would pretty much just be Clerics knowing about healing magic, Necromancers knowing how long a corpse has been dead, and Assassins knowing where to stab hardest, etc.
"First Aid" would be more intended to patch up plot-important NPCs and such, or stabilize the unconscious/dying; healing of PCs would lean on the more mechanical parts of the system.

At one point I had it called "Anatomy & Physiology" but I'm not in love with that naming.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Reene posted:

I have the itch to run 13th Age again and I want to whine about it.

Do you want to whine about the itch to run 13th Age, or whine about running 13th Age, or whine about 13th Age in general?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUTGr5t3MoY&t=14s

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

gently caress you Clippy.

On a related note I don't think I've ever read 13th Age.

I made the mistake of only ever looking seriously into 13th Age when I was in a post-4e phase being "done" with ability scores.
I had an "aw geez, not this poo poo again" feeling come over me; the general consensus of the game backsliding to 3.x also didn't help.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

ProfessorCirno posted:

One of these days I'll actually make that 13a homebrew I keep tossing around in my head.

What would you add/subtract/modify from 13th Age?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Is there a crunchy game with abstract / non-grid positioning?

Like a game that doesn't do it for the sake of being a storygame, but rather because it's designed to be the equivalent of D&D 4E but adapted for playing in a chatroom or PBP.

I'm working on it. It's meant to be more about pick-up-and-play than crunchy character construction, but I'm aiming for engaging combat.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Helical Nightmares posted:

How about Trauma Medicine and Academics: Medical? Or Battlefield Medicine?

Seems a little bit hair-splitty. But, "Combat Medicine" in place of First Aid and "_____ Medicine" in place of just 'Medical' probably has some merit.

Naming aside, is the distinction in design space adequate?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Plutonis posted:

Someone make a setting about an underworld full of assassins who use gold doubloons to get their equipment or hang out on assassin hotels.

:yeah: I saw that movie yesterday :hfive:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Rolemaster was a game where a lot of the tactics were just in how far you could maximize your relevant combat or stealth skills and hope the dice were on your side. Alternately, like many D&D-alikes, you just struggle to survive with a spellcaster long enough that you can turn the system sideways and find the lever that breaks the system, or at least breaks conventional confrontations.

I've played all of 2 sessions of Rolemaster (the DM of the group was into it) and I just remember spending my turn either setting up to backstab enemies, or backstabbing them. And I was playing a Cleric, or something.

Of course one of the dudes in our party got a busted femur and the other had "your shield hand is severed" as a result of an attack. The players unanimously walked away from the campaign, after that.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Serf posted:

Also the Points of Light "setting" ruled in the sense that you could do whatever you wanted with it. Beyond a few defined areas the whole thing was open to modification. You could easily run a Nentir Vale starting adventure and expand into whatever homebrew nonsense you wanted. I loved that about it.

I like the pantheon for PoL, particularly that the god of the sea (Melora) wasn't evil (compare @ FR) and the only one that had kind of a shoehorned-in set of domains was Sehanine.
I also like that there isn't much redundancy/overlap with the gods, whereas FR has like 3 deities loosely affiliated with nature, IIRC.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

gnome7 posted:

Hi, I spent like 3 months putting this thing together and here seems like the best place to post it.

SO YOU WANT TO PLAY DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS, EH?

It might not be what you're looking for. Here's a big list of alternatives, to share with your friends.

Nuns with Guns posted:

a sister article or a modified article that breaks down the pros/cons of each D&D edition would be cool, too, for the people who are inevitably going to be all "No! D&D!". It'd also give space to recommend the modern retroclones, imitators, and spinoffs that are more widely available and more sanely-structured than a lot of early D&D stuff

I resemble this remark.
If this becomes A Thing please include my thing in the list :shobon:

p.s. There is a new post up today, listing some more recent changes/updates.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 26, 2017

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

So here's the thing: every possible branch in a video game has to be scripted and even voice-acted and poo poo. Video games also have a set of expectations among the player base where the player sees every eventuality as their fault--if you take a course of action that results in bad things happening anywhere, the reaction is to get mad, then replay the game so that All of the Good Things happen and None of the Bad Things happen.

It seems prescient that I've been watching an LP of "The Walking Dead" recently :v:
Telltale apparently tries pretty hard to make it so each decision point will get picked about 50/50, which makes sense if you think about it as "well only 10% of the people went with Option B; I guess putting together all those assets for Option B was a loving waste."

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Fuego Fish posted:

Y'all really love your fantasy elements, huh? It's near enough a 5:1 split.

I honestly didn't bother voting when I saw this poll, because I knew this would be the goon outcome.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Just put up a short blogpost for The Next Project

I'm kinda trying to figure out what the driving force should be behind the game, from a mechanical sense; I was talking things out with my playtester and I realized that the game doesn't have a good reward system in place, so I've been hmmming and hawing about that recently.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Covok posted:

Older goons who are used to having a 40+ hour job and trying to game, what is your advise to balance and budget time? I really want to run some more games, but I'm not in college anymore and my schedule is much, much tighter. What do you suggest for scheduling when all weekdays are effectively out and Saturday (until April 15th) is iffy at best? Like, I don't mean for you to give me a number as that is out-and-out unreasonable and arguably impossible. What I mean more is what you'd suggest from experience on how to budget time?

I very, very much prefer IRL and online w/ voice and I can never seem to keep devoted to a PBP for long. On the other hand, now I'm stuck behind a computer all day so maybe PBP is easier than when I used to be more out-and-about all day.

PBP is alright if you just wanna check the thread at the end of the day and do your turn; goons PBPs are bad for fizzling out though.

I once ran a game of D&D where I ended up with like 10 players at the start, and basically just juggled a session or two a week, whenever it fit with my schedule, with whichever players were available that day; sometimes a ~3 hour meetup twice a week is good, if you can only wrangle weekday nights.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I didn't realize they started teaching Poe's law in schools.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Latest blogpost for The Next Project is up, mostly talking about monster math and adventuring day stuff.
So if, I hosed it up horribly, please let me know :v:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

1:

This might not be helpful to your design specifically, but your "level 0" musings, coupled with me thinking about how TNP might look like as a book, got me thinking about the problem of "Players Handbooks" having something like 8 to 12 classes as part of their Chapter 1 or Chapter 2, and then you get to "here is how you play the game".

It's not really that conducive to reading the book "straight", because you're only going to pick one class before you need to know how to roll for attacks and whatnot, but you either have to skip through a fourth to a third of the book just to get there, or you start reading through a bunch of mechanics and rules that you don't really need per se.

I'd like to see an organizational model where you take one class, stop there, then the game goes into normal play, then the rest of the classes are elaborated upon (even if they have to reprint that first class just so it's not way off in the front of the book).

Alternatively, something similar to 5e's basic books, where it's just the Fighter, Rogue, Cleric and Wizard, with one archetype each, and then maybe the other classes and other archetypes follow in the back.

And related to TNP specifically, I say this because I'm kind of expecting that TNP the Book is going to have a fairly long class-list, far beyond what would be "interesting" if you'd already made up your mind and wanted to get into the meat-and-potatoes of actual play.

Yeah, I have the "example of play" in there (needs some updating/finalizing), where I took the Rogue and Barbarian and outlined most of the combat mechanics, over the course of a round; I could conceivably do a similar thing with a whole party of the "Starter Classes" (which are basically just standard classes, but with all the toggle switches already flipped for you.) I kinda wanted to do the 5e Starter Set thing, where you've got Cleric/Fighter(melee)/Fighter(archer)/Rogue/Wizard as your pre-gens, I just juggled it a little so that there was one class for each class die.

gradenko_2000 posted:

2:

The other thing I'd like to mention is that you should definitely write-up actual monsters, even just as goblins. I "get" the math, but laying out a statblock and seeing a fully-formed monster is more helpful.

My experience with writing monsters is pretty much taking races that seem similar from the 4e MM and MV, then bashing them together and fixing the math, so I'm not personally super creative in terms of doling out cool powers to make monsters unique -- but it's on the to-do list.
I'm also pondering if I want to use flat or rolled damage for mobs; the "minions" effectively already have flat damage, so I'm leaning towards a unified rolling mechanism for standard monsters.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 17, 2017

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

The Regular Show and Community had D&D episodes more recently

I think it's fair to say everyone's mom has seen at least one episode of Big Bang Theory where D&D happens.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Latest round of changes to The Next Project are now up on the blog.

Mostly tweaks to character classes towards allowing more customization; some (mandatory) Subclasses were changed to (optional) Archetypes, and some classes with Archetypes have been adjusted to work smoother without having to pick one.

Also, some Concentration abilities have been split off into their own keyword (Forms), just to allow some stuff to stack that otherwise wouldn't. Forms lean more toward in-combat types of customization, whereas Concentration powers tend to be more in the vein of class-defining abilities. Because of this (plus a few other considerations), the character customization section in the core rules has been expanded a bit.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Serf posted:

If you could find your resurrected party members locked away in closets deeper in the dungeon that would be cool.

This sounds like something that'd happen in Until Dawn (IMHO that game was pretty rad, to a point.)

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i'm glad i got out of magic when i did; the rules went to poo poo, they banned the core card of my favorite archetype, the stuff i had was still worth enough that i made about as much money selling it as i did buying in, and CCGs in general are kind of exploitative bullshit and physical card games doubly so

I had a D&D buddy who would buy Magic cards after our gaming sessions from the store we played at.
One time he was like "oh hey, I spent $50 on this pack, and I can sell this particular card for like $500 on Amazon right now,"

It was approximately the most :ussr: moment of my life.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Covok posted:

I mean, when I'm playing a game, I'm not developing one nor is it like the developer will ever hear my complaint. It's not like its some holy duty or something, we're just playing a game.

But a good DM can fix anything! :pseudo:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

tell them that harping on the game itself during the game is disruptive. (i'm assuming it is - if you have any doubt, check with other players on this first!) tell them that any criticism that isn't specific and actionable right now needs to be saved for some time when it won't be disruptive. after sessions in person, another forum for discussion if online, or whatever. the emphasis on actionable criticism is important - if it's something someone at the table can do something about, that's very often useful and important and needs to be dealt with. otherwise, then they need to can it.

This is something I think is key if you're playing a homegame where everyone meets up X times per month; don't waste peoples' time on this poo poo. We're all here to play through the campaign, so leave the edition warring and char-op and anything not crucial to accomplishing the task at hand to email/forum/pub discussion.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Latest blogpost for The Next Project is now up!

Talking about certain bounds on character and party customization.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

So I'm running a Play-by-Discord Pathfinder game and while I can take a picture of a piece of paper through my phone easily enough and upload that the group, I kept agonizing over how to represent character movement on a map from turn-to-turn without having to redraw the whole thing every time.

It never occurred to me all this time to use a goddamn pencil.

NASA scientists spent $1M making a pen that would write in zero-gravity; Soviets just used pencils.

(bonus fact: pencils also work better in cold temperatures)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Fuego Fish posted:

After playing a lot of it, I've been awfully tempted to run a Horizon Zero Dawn game.

Which system were you thinking of using?

I haven't played it, but the premise sort of tickles something in the "tabletop sensibilities" part of my brain.

• Locked thread