Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

P.d0t posted:

:siren: New blogpost for The Next Project is now up.

Mostly just pulling back the curtain on how skills should be approached, from the DM side; this is largely "understood" for a lot of experienced gamers, but I figured it was worthwhile to formalize this sort of understanding of how the rules/mechanics should be used -- expect to see this appear almost-verbatim in the next iteration of the rules text.

Is really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
I am not looking forward to the inevitable murder-suicide.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Rules Compendium, Monster Vault/MM3, Offline Char Builder

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Countblanc posted:

i dont get that reference and i'm 30

Put down your keyboard and go watch The Crow

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Countblanc posted:

who the heck holds their keyboard

Weirdos who haven't seen the Crow

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
One thing that's always bugged me about random hit locations is that it is not especially difficult for a practiced combatant to hit what they're aiming at.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
They could have easily broken out talents in alphabetical order.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Moriatti posted:

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

In general, having objective s beyond "eliminate all enemies" and/or having map features beyond just being a room are good.

Map features are especially important to make an encounter dynamic.

Put a trap or hazard(s) into the encounter and let both sides take advantage.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

P.d0t posted:

So I'm in the process of getting ready to do a major re-draft of my heartbreaker, The Next Project, and as such I'll be looking for feedback, and people I can bounce ideas off of regularly. I've had a discord server set up for a while now, but it's been kinda slow as of late.

With all that in mind, I would like to extend an invitation to any TradGoons who have been following my progress, to join the TNP discussion over on Discord.

Over the past weekend, in particular, I've been working on crunching out all kinds of math, including the DPR of various attack routines. So if you nerd out over that type of stuff, now's a real good time to jump in!

:siren: Also, the next blogpost should be up sometime Friday :)

pd0t is making rpg gold, and you should all be jumping in to that Discord.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Definitely something that I encountered when I was writing introductory CYOA adventures - put all of the rules for everything into a single encounter, and it was way too much to learn all at once

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Nuns with Guns posted:

Alexander Macris ... used his position at a gaming magazine to promote his OSR game.

It's about ethics in game journalism.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Hi Chat Thread,

https://www.lookingforgm.com/

lookingforgm.com posted:

Find the perfect Game Master.
Find a game when you want to play.
Want to become a Professional Game Master?
We're hiring. Yea, all of you.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Plutonis posted:

How much are talking

I'm not signing up, you sign up.

fakeedit: Under minimum wage, I bet.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
:siren: It's Tuesday, and that means it's time for me to write a bunch of words on improving the non-combat system in Let Thrones Beware.

Where there was once an elaborate but boring collection of pre-written set-piece non-combat challenges, there's now a dynamic roleplay-driven approach that emulates the style of Ocean's 11 heist-style planning and execution.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
If you're not RPing as members of a drow house on the message boards of a browser based web game, I don't know what you're doing with your life.

(You're wasting it)

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Splicer posted:

That's easy to do in a pure skills or class based system, but once you throw ability scores into the mix it all goes pear shaped. EotE is the only ability scores + skills system I've seen where you're rewarded for having a high skills/stats combo without meaningfully penalising low stats in a high skill. And in a swords and sorcery setting this still doesn't address the spellcasting verbs issue.

Everyone applies their top ability score mod to their trained skills. No class restrictions on skills. Arcana is a knowledge skill, not a casting skill. Done.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Splicer posted:

Except now Strength is even more useless, because you can max your Athletics by maxing Intelligence or Dexterity and spending a single skill point in Strength's sole noncombat skill, while also getting a bunch of decent secondary skills. It's a bit of a catch 22. Not an unsolvable one, but it's not that easy.

Why would strength be useless? It'd allow a fighter with beefed up strength to apply that bonus to any of the game's skills.

E: if you're worried, just say that 1/2 your max attr. bonus is what gets applied to non-trained skills.

slap me and kiss me fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 12, 2017

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
If you've a better idea for making skills equitable in a game that's built around ability scores and mods, I'm all ears.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Splicer posted:

If I've come across as jumping on you it was not intentional and I apologise. I'm not attacking you, I'm having an enjoyable discussion about a subject that I've put an unhealthy amount of thought into. The difficulty inherent in making a high stat OR training viable while leaving a high stat AND training desirable is a pet topic of mine.

Generally the answer is "add more information channels".

Not at all. I'm starting a 4e game in the near future, so I'm actually quite curious about the best ways to make the skill system more equitable.

In making LTB, my approach to this problem was to eliminate ability scores entirely, and abstract the skill system such that any species/background/class combination could tackle any problem using a collection of choice-derived non-combat powers.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
The Grimspace is extremely grimdark and grimcold. No-one can hear you grimscream.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
There's also the oft-forgotten The Game Writing Workshop: Let's make (and finish) our game projects! thread

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Gotta be faster than that if you hope to beat the master of "working from home."

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
I would much rather aspire to be a PTBA Chad than I would a Starfinger Incel.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Halloween Jack posted:

For one, so much of the game is customizable that it takes a long time to read through and digest. I find myself having this problem with a lot of newer, better-designed games, including Fragged Empire and Let Thrones Beware. They are easy to reference but difficult to chew through and fully digest.

A public compliment? This is fuel for literally months more of development!

Can you unpack what you mean by difficult to chew through? I'm sure interested in hearing stumbling blocks so I can make it easier for people to pick up.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
From 2e:

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Haystack posted:

Has any game really managed to tackle the broad vs narrow problem with freeform skills? Heroquest technically has rules that are supposed to penalize really broad abilities, but I've always felt like they put the GM in a bad place.

Yo

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Haystack posted:

Mind breaking it down for me, or at least pointing me at the relevant blog post and/or rule?

Sure -

System One: I started out by giving players a few set skills based on class and background, and then letting them choose the rest. They'd get a range of +X values to match up, based on where they wanted the character's strengths to be. I discarded this system because it was total crap.

System Two: Going back to the drawing board, I gave skills a complete rethink. My inspiration was the old Conan movies. "Have you ever," I thought to myself "seen a movie where Conan isn't able to do the thing he needs to do?" The answer is no - Conan might not achieve his goal the same was as the gnarled old sorcerer or sneaky rogue will, but he'll always be able to do what he needs to do.

With that in mind, I decided to do away with making the focus of the skill system the names of the skills - Sneak +3 vs Smart +2 is super dull, in retrospect and especially long-term, why shouldn't my high-level hero be able to sneak or barter effectively? He's got more experience haggling for goods than anyone in the entire city!

Going forward, anyone could tackle any obstacle.

I took a page from the attack/counter/interrupt system I use for combat, and gave each class and background a suite of non-combat powers that can be used against any type of obstacle. I also added special features to backgrounds - now, your criminal isn't sneaky because she has "Sneak +3" written down, she's sneaky because her background feature allows her to bypass mechanical blocking zones included in non-combat challenges. Likewise, your merchant isn't a merchant because his character sheet says "Haggle +2" - literally any hero can haggle with merchants. Rather, he's effective because his background feature grants him bonuses managing party resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

funmanguy posted:

whats the first book ever published that contained both dungeons and dragons?

The Legend of Huma, but word of caution, it's an erotic dragon.

• Locked thread