Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

This year I'm going to finish up 13th Age Organized Play, and do something different with that group since we've been doing it for like 3 years. Probably something cyberpunk-y.

I'm also going to start a Fragged Empire game with my other group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Countblanc posted:

i admire people who buy those games. it takes real courage to openly admit that you don't want to do things that let you, personally, be funny or clever, but instead want to do things where you simply let the game make the jokes for you.

Saying that reminds me of the writers of Workaholics have a long list of "joke lines" they're not letting themselves use anymore. poo poo like "Wait for it..." or "too soon?"; things that "have the shape of jokes, but aren't actually jokes".

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hey, remember at the tail end of the last chat thread and I mentioned this?

Evil Mastermind posted:

I know at one point Schwalb was going to do a SotDL setting that's "the Demon Lord invades our world, everything goes Mad Max with magic and poo poo" as part of the KS, but I haven't heard anything about it.

It's live! :black101:

e: Good lord, Robert Schawlb has done about 115 SotDL supplements since August 2015. The man is a loving machine.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 3, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

FastestGunAlive posted:

This looks dope

Yeah, it's pretty good.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

What's the general consensus about the best version of Shadowrun, not counting Anarchy? 5th Edition or the 20th Anniversary Edition?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

It's all terrible, Shadowrun is always terrible.

That said I think 20th Anniversary is a better core book, at least.

Good, that's the version I have. Which supplements are for that version?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Sion posted:

Yeah but do any of them have a loving index?

20th Anniversary does.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

You roll the squares what got numbers on 'em.
My squares don't got no numbers, just these here dots...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Traditional Games: Dots is good, just count them dots

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ominous Jazz posted:

Sorry, the best fighter build is the grab machine of 4e, because why wouldn't you want to suplex all your problems.

One of the best 4e characters I ever played was a dragonborn luchadore. I actually managed to put a slime in a headlock.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Caves of Qud is really well done, but I don't think I've ever had a character last more than 10 minutes in it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I saw that drat thing when it was in theaters.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Anima: Beyond Fantasy is the most incomprehensible book I've ever read in my life. I refuse to believe it can be understood, let alone played.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Asimo posted:

the benefits of just going OGL instead of straight d20...

I still say that the BESM d20 design process was:
1. Take BESM
2. Place the d20 SRD on top of it
3. Apply paper clip
4. Take an early lunch

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jimmeeee posted:

I remember reading about an RPG with a sort of improvised spell list- you'd roll on a table of adjectives and a table of nouns and end up with stuff like "Blistering Shield" and "Nebulous Cone." Does anyone know the game I'm talking about?

Maze Rats

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

Bulldogs! kinda frustrates me since they spend all of one page talking about creating adventures and it's mostly "use aspects." I'm increasingly convinced all games should have, if not a sample adventure, a clear outline/picture of what a "typical adventure" is. Atomic Robo is also Fate and it had much better ways of giving the GM ideas.
You should have read the original version of Bulldogs. You wound up with something like 80 aspects in play at any given point, because it was using the old SotC "10 aspects per character" thing, then your ship had two aspects, your ship's captain had two aspects, the sector of space you were in had like three or four, and so on and so on.

But you're right; it's surprising that so few games have a "this is a typical adventure for this game/setting" chapter. Hell, Shadowrun still uses the stupid Stuffer Shack thing in all its books.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

While it's not WWII, for military-ish based games there's also MASHED, which is PbtA and takes place during the Korean War.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Serf posted:

Oh man they're doing a Freeport book for Shadow of the Demon Lord. Rad.
Ooh, that's going to be a really good fit. Although it'll probably be a little more lighthearted than normal SotDL.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, I meant more in terms of tone (Freeport is more on the swashbuckly and pulpy adventure end of things) really.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I know 3e, 4e, Pathfinder, Savage Worlds, and Fate Accelerated.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

This is precisely why I avoid the hell out of Star Wars games that want you to start off as the Imperials, because it turns out that's the favorite game of some people for some unfathomable reason
https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/810650507714891777
https://twitter.com/zhandlen/status/810655439444647936

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Serf posted:

This is a fun and productive line of discussion we've found.
I always like it when we argue personal preferences.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I like that the Dark Carnival Games Con logo is the Dungeon Crawl Classic logo, slightly edited.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

I was playing the Arkham Asylum series at the same time I was reading through people's attempts to do superheroes in OSR rules frameworks (note: they're all bad), and got the idea that "street-level" supers would make for a pretty good dungeoncrawl where the dungeon is the villain's lair, or Arkham island, or just the mean streets of Gotham. But I was uncomfortable with the latter idea for exactly this reason.
Dungeoncrawls through supervillain lairs is the basic idea of the Base Raiders RPG.

There's also Ben Baugh's old Long Stairs setting riff, where a portal opens up under a nuclear bomb test site and it ends up leading to a fantasy dungeon. That's a pretty good job for a Suicide Squad group.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ominous Jazz posted:

Every rimmer story is about risk if you know what I mean

Well, yeah. He's a total smeg-head.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I hope it's as good as the last WoD video game.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Very true. I played the hell out of that co-op.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

One of the people in my 13th Age game makes a Harambe joke every week, mainly for my exasperated reaction.

Kwyndig posted:

There's no such thing as a good Harambe joke.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

Some internet detectives even figured out it was obviously someone at Gearbox who made that subreddit.
Hell I could have told you that, and I haven't looked at Battleborn since the beta.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

Unless there is futanari content, the greatest of all fetishes forged in the mighty land of Nippon, I too shall pass this game up.

Don't be stupid. He's saving that for a stretch goal.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

On the other hand, I think gallows humor is an important way to maintain resilience in the face of horrifying realities.

I gotta laugh, otherwise I start screaming.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

LongDarkNight posted:

Same and heavy drinking. Although the election didn't change either.
I will admit I have been looking into how to weld cars together, and am starting to plot out a warboy breeding program.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ominous Jazz posted:

I liked how 13th age made sure everyone knew orcs were smooth like Ken dolls and that half orcs just kind of happen in places that need them, like they're the chosen ones.
Eberron orcs are one of the biggest good-guy races because they founded one of the larger druid groups and have sworn that nothing shall leave the Demon Wastes on their watch, and half-orcs are seen as the best parts of both races.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm mainly just sharing this so I can find it later, but this is a really awesome Flash-based random island map generator. Lots of options, and it can generate realistic-looking maps or hex/grid based maps.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

I heard that Kill la Kill and that Yo La Tengo Toppin' Gurrin' Laggin' thing that I can never spell have actual artistic value.

Tengen Toppen Gurren Lagaan is tied with GaoGaiGar as my favorite giant robot anime every.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

That Wisdom calculation is the best thing I've read all week. The Charisma one is the second best.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

According to that thing I have a Charisma of 0, but a Constitution of over 24.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Arivia posted:

It's obviously sarcastic. Blume even said it took "minutes of exhaustive research." The grogs are the guys who were pestering TSR for accuracy even back then.

That just reminds me of that Pathfinder dev who was using a mouse with the cord wrapped around his wrist to determine the difficulty of using a cord tied around your weapon's handle to re-equip it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I do remember that in Ghostbusters International a person with average strength (so 3/4 of the Ghostbusters) couldn't carry a proton pack, ghost trap, and PKE meter at that same time without falling over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

:siren: Blades in the Dark has released! :siren:

They're accepting book preorders for non-backers now as well, and it looks like the Early Access version was updated today too so I guess that's good to go?

• Locked thread