Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I finally got around to finishing DOOM 2016, does that count as good news? :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

That's terrible news, you're out of DOOM!

There's still Arcade mode :getin:

Really though, I wanted to finally finish it so I could at least clear that off the backlog (and get back those 70+ GB), but I really do feel like the game made me better at FPS games.

Of course, anything else I play now is going to feel slow by comparison. :(

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

Go play Doom 2 and its many mods.

Believe it or not, I've never actually played Doom 2. Or Doom 1, really. I never had a PC back in the day.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

NorgLyle posted:

What ever ended up happening with Pathfinder Online? I remember that everything about it looked hilarious but I can't remember the last update I saw about it here.

Apparently it's still a thing?

https://goblinworks.com/blog/update-from-lisa/

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe they can get Curt Schilling to bankroll it! :v:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Have there actually been people who paid upwards of three figures for anything in PFO?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

My favourite thing about PFO is still the fans who projected onto it all their completely unrealistic-to-the-point-of-insanity dreams about what a video game could be. Like the people who insisted that every single 3e spell needed to be included, including Time Stop and Divination spells. Or the guy who wanted to spend his entire in-game experience running a stable, demanding gameplay deep enough to make taking care of horses a rewarding experience.

Let me tell you about a game called Star Citizen...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

What's more, of all the things being kept from Pathfinder, it's not like, dungeons or the magic system or even the races but alignment is what he fixated on. Alignment. Ugh.
Of course he did. That's what the target audience cares about : mechanics that don't have any real use apart from being part of D&D.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ewen Cluney posted:

I still find it just bonkers that Paizo decided to go from "never did anything with video games before" to "let's make an MMO!" The ridiculously obvious thing would be to start with smaller Pathfinder-branded games in genres that aren't ludicrously difficult to succeed in, and maybe eventually do an MMO if the intervening games do well enough.
There's a reason I mentioned Curt Schilling before. He pretty much did the exact same thing: trying to learn to swim by diving into the deep end.

What's really bonkers is that both Dancey and Schilling wanted to make MMOs in general in 2015/2016, when it was obvious to (almost) everyone that MMOs were a dying business model unless you were Blizzard.

fake edit: Holy gently caress Schilling is planning on running for Senate in Massachusetts next year are you loving kidding me?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Given that he's gone full-blown right-wing hate he probably will. :smithicide:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

He's also got a bit of a bad reputation in Mass. and RI because of the whole 38 Studios thing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

I've never seen a wrestling fed have a match that lasts for several 22-minute episodes.
That would be pretty hilarious, though. Especially if it was still in a different venue each week but still picked up right where it left off at the start of every show.

Speaking of which, what was that Japanese fed that had the batshit insane things like having a ladder be World Champion for a few weeks?

e: nevermind, found it

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

That championship was also held, very briefly, by each successive component of a bowl of curry, which a wrestler then won by eating the pork cutlet on top. Winning a championship belt by eating your opponent is more hardcore than 1,000,000,000,000,000 sick chairshots.
Personally, I liked the one where the audience became champion, then immediately lost it due to being counted out of the ring.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

mango sentinel posted:

That's silly as hell but you watch those matches and it blows your mind witnessing the talent of the person in the ring selling those as believable competitors.
Seriously, this guy sells being powerbombed by a blow-up doll better than some wrestlers I've seen facing real humans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LApVz53Spw

I can't find any videos of the ladder winning, though.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The slow collapse of WCW is fascinating on a lot of levels. I still say the best was Bischoff trying to spoil that Mick Foley was going to win the belt on RAW, which lead to most of his audience going "oh poo poo, Foley's finally getting the belt? I gotta see that! *channel switch*".

This also gives me a chance to link 306 Quotes from Meltzer about WCW, which is mostly about Russo's stuff but is still great reading.

quote:

"Thursday was supposed to be a grudge Flair vs. Benoit lumberjack match. However, WCW forgot to tell Flair he was booked. Jason Hervey was in Charlotte at request of management and they gave Flair off Thunder because they were producing an upcoming Flair home video, but never informed the people writing the show about Flair having the day off. When they panicked since Flair wasn't there at 6pm, they called him and told him to get to Syracuse. At the cost of thousands of dollars, they chartered a flight from Charlotte to Syracuse to get Flair to Thunder, but due to the weather problems it couldn't get off the ground until 7pm. The show was put together with the idea that Flair would do several interviews building to the Benoit match. So virtually the entire Thunder show was filling time. Flair finally arrived at 9:55pm, but they had already changed plans for the show because they had to be off the air at 10:03pm because TBS decreed that the Chimp movie had to start on time. When Flair got there, they told him he wasn't needed and to go right back home. So, as a panic move, the decision was made to turn the Kanyon-Saturn singles match into a tag title match. However, Bam Bam Bigelow wasn't there either, so Kanyon defended the titles with Page with zero explanation given to have this make sense. It wasn't even announced as a title match until about a minute left"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Please do not get this thread locked. It's one of the few lines of communication I have with the outside world during work. :(

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

A bunch of people at work got the RPG bug from listening to The Adventure Zone podcast, and they just made me run them through a session of Dungeon World.

They super loved it!

The Princess somehow charmed a giant spider named Chauncey into helping them take down Todd the Dragon when they fought it on top of their own burning ship over a lich's life-giving chalice.

Just spent 4 hours at a bar running some newbies through their first RPG sessions and they got into and are happy and want to make it biweekly and my otherwise exhausting and lovely day is so much better. :):

Hi this has been a reminder that fun exists and is good.

Your posting is good and you should feel good. :buddy:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I've actually been running 13th Age organized play for about three years now. We're going to stop after this season and start doing some Shadowrun mainly just to play something else.

Of course this means I'll have to start writing my own adventures and stating up NPCs again. I haven't done that in ages due to organized play or running Fate/PbtA stuff I don't really prep for.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

How is Mutant: Year Zero? It seems to be doing well but I never hear anything about it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Is this the thread to post in if I'm weighing between picking up one of three different setting's core rulebooks, or is there a more appropriate one? I saw the "what system should I use" but that seems more for established GMs that have a campaign in mind.

:justpost:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Blades book also has some nice articles about why the system is designed the way it is, which go a long way to helping you get how the game's supposed to work.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Am I the only one who heard that entire back copy in the Cryptkeeper's voice?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Helical Nightmares posted:

Overall, Mutant: Year Zero is a marriage of story game elements to base building and hex crawl mechanics.

Well that all sounds like stuff I'd enjoy! Of course, I'd have to find someone who'd want to run it for me because I've already got two campaigns (Fragged Empire and Shadowrun 4e) in the pipe.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Asimo posted:

Mystara is like 60% forgettable generic fantasy tolkein crap and 40% absolute amazing. There was unusual character options in some of the supplements that haven't really been repeated in D&D since (Immortals, anyone?), let alone various craziness like flying continents and crashed spaceships and basically everything to do with the hollow world and its divine T-rex creator.
It really is amazing how much awesomely insane stuff got lost or forgotten from the Basic era.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The problem is that for D&D (and most bad fantasy asettings), they just go with the "pile of gods" thing where you just make gods for whatever concepts you think you need gods for, regardless if the overall setup makes sense or not.

One of the (many) things I appreciated about Eberron was that it was polytheistic, and each religion was very distinct from the others.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ratpick posted:

I want to write the ultimate bad adventure with all the elements of a bad pre-made adventure just to see if all the bad elements together would make it sort of so bad it's actually kinda good.

Highlights would include:
  • Extremely powerful NPCs who are actually the focus of the adventure so the players are there mostly as spectators and bit-part-players.
  • Heavily railroaded.
  • Metaplot.
  • Set in a setting with way too much history and background with the unwritten assumption that the players are already invested in the setting for any of the events to make sense.
  • Badly balanced and playtested.

What am I missing?
Someone already did that. It's called The Unity, it was the bridge adventure between Deadlands: Hell on Earth and Deadlands: Lost Colony, and I reviewed it for F&F a few months back. It actually hits all of your bullet points. Especially your second one; there's literally only one actual choice the players get to make in the whole thing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

A few insta-kill traps that the player will have no prior anticipation of, random bullshit that exists to destroy player's equipment/levels/wealth and other hard-earned stuff, and a female character that exists solely to seduce and then trick a player character into a terrible trap.
That's all in The Unity.

slap me and kiss me posted:

An angry three-page screen accusing people who don't enjoy the adventure of being hitlers who are killing "Real Gaming."
This isn't in The Unity, but it does include something that's in that wheelhouse.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Falstaff posted:

What's The Unity? A cursory google search proves... unhelpful.

Read my post before that post. I link to my review one of the worst two metaplot adventures ever written.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The only good RPGs are the ones that I, personally, enjoy.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I came in late; what are we supposed to be arguing about now?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

...good? :confused:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Torg was also metaplotty as gently caress, given that a lot of the metaplot stuff happened not in the books, but in the newsletter. To make matters worse, the writers assumed you'd read and memorized everything that had been published. So when they referred to something that happened in the newsletter in one of the books, they never did a "here's a summary to refresh your memory" thing or put in a note that said "this happened in issue X of the newsletter". Bear in mind that this was back in the 90's, so it's not like you could go and buy a PDF of a back issue: if you came in late tough titties. Deadlands at least had the courtesy to tell you what books things happened in or would summarize past events for you.

I know I'm probably biased, but I'd say that Torg's metaplot was worse than Deadlands'. Mainly because Torg's lasted longer, the newsletter thing, and it got in the way a lot more.

Like, with Deadlands they really didn't have huge plot beats that got in the way of a day-to-day campaign (stuff like Stone or other unkillable NPCS notwithstanding) because at the heart it was basically "Cheesy Western + <other genre>". Anything that "blew up" or invalidated part of the setting really didn't happen until the end of the various game lines. You didn't have to know the ins and outs of the setting to be able to enjoy it.

But with Torg, you had the canon novel trilogy that was the setup to the whole game line, plus multiple "here's where the metaplot is now" books, and at one point they blow up about a third of North America with about two years left in the overall metaplot. It doesn't help that Torg is basically ten setting in one, and each one had a full 90-page supplement plus important NPCs and reality borders moving all over the place.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The new Bundle of Holding is up: get all four volumes of Designers & Dragons and a few other books for ~$20.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Was it this one? It seems to be the source of the "ursine" thing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

YES! Thank you! Bookmarked so I don't lose it again.

Welcome! I only found it because someone in one RPGNet thread that quoted the bears thing linked to the original thread a few posts down.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

What I do is get cheap packs of normal playing cards (like from a dollar store), print the cards on regular paper, then use penny sleeves to put the playing card and the printed card together so it has backing. It's a little work-intensive but it's relatively cheap.

Yeah, I was just going to suggest the same thing, except that instead of getting a pack of cards I go to the game store and just grab a handful of Magic basic land cards since most stores are swimming in those things.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

There's also Noteboard, which folds up nicely for storage but has the odd size of 35" x 15".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Haven* was also from that weird 90's era of RPG design where the idea of having your game be about something hadn't quite hit yet. You just made RPGs, what people were supposed to do with them was up to them. c.f.: most licensed games of the era.

*For the Ghost Who Walks!City of Violence

• Locked thread