Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

potatocubed posted:

My gaming plans for this year include launching the Pigsmoke KS later this month,

What.

I imagine this to be a RPG about competing BBQ chefs or a Western involving pigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

potatocubed posted:

Sadly, nothing so cool. It's an RPG about playing academics at a wizard university.

This is cool too! :colbert:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Cross posting, but all you guys should spend a bit of time checking out Caves of Qud

Made by goons Unormal and Hand of Luke. Amazing tiles by goon Megane. Music also by goons

----------

Welcome, to the Caves of Qud.

Caves of Qud is a post apocalyptic roguelike set in a world like Fallout but much much weirder. If you are familiar with the old school mutants and wastlanders game rpg Gamma World, it is inspired by the creators' early experiences with that TSR game.

What can you do?

By Angry Diplomat:

quote:

Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT PLANTS. Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT ANIMALS. Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT BUGS. Kill a bear and EAT IT, just EAT AN ENTIRE BEAR. KILL EVERYTHING. Descend into the DEPTHS OF THE WORLD and retrieve ANCIENT TECHNOLOGICAL ARTIFACTS. KNIFE-FIGHT a GIANT DRILL ROBOT and WIN. Be a COOL WASTELAND KNIGHT. Be a TWO-FISTED COWBOY. Be a HOMICIDAL NINJA TURTLE with an AXE and a SHOTGUN. SPONTANEOUSLY BURST INTO FLAMES. Get into a GUNFIGHT with a HYENA-MONSTER and accidentally anger a HERD OF MAJESTIC HULKING DEMON HORSES with your crossfire. Fly into the air like a BEAUTIFUL EAGLE and then SWORD-FIGHT a GIANT DRAGONFLY. MIND CONTROL a TWO-HEADED BOAR and MAKE IT WEAR CHAIN MAIL and KILL YOUR ENEMIES. Encounter a LEGENDARY PLANT with an INTIMIDATING SKULL MASK and the ability to THROW FIERY DEATH FROM ITS HANDS. CONTRACT HORRIFYING DISEASES. Go to THE DEATHLANDS and discover that THE DEATHLANDS are called THE DEATHLANDS because they will KILL YOU DEAD. HACK OFF A ROBOT’S HEAD AND EAT IT. Get into a SLEDGEHAMMER DUEL with a ‘ROIDED-OUT SUPERCANNIBAL. Be SO TECHNOLOGICALLY ILLITERATE that you BREAK A BOX OF CRAYONS attempting to figure out what it is. Be SO TECHNOLOGICALLY GIFTED that you can make an ACID GRENADE out of a PLASTIC TREE and a FOLDING CHAIR. Build your own FLAMETHROWER. Build your own LASER GUN. Build your own HANDHELD NUCLEAR BOMB and BLOW YOURSELF UP WITH IT. Collect MAGMA in a CANTEEN. Pour MAGMA into a pool of ACID to see what happens. DRINK MAGMA. TELEPATHICALLY LOCATE an enemy and HATE IT TO DEATH with your TERRIFYING BRAIN SORCERY. Have your LEGS CUT OFF and then REGROW YOUR LEGS and pick up your previous legs and EAT YOUR OWN LEGS. Encounter your EVIL TWIN and then summon six of your own GOOD TWINS to fight your evil twin’s SIX EVIL TWIN TWINS in a FOURTEEN-WAY PSYCHIC LASER DEATH RAVE and then BURN TO DEATH when all of the combined PYROKINETIC MIND FIRE from all of the TIME CLONES causes the ENTIRE MAP TO COMBUST AND MELT.

All of the above is literally true gameplay.

In addition there was a patch that added fungal locations where you can get infected by fungal spores, grow your own crusty mushrooms on a random body part, and pop off said mushrooms and eat them when you get hungry. Or use them for bio-luminescence. Or the fungal outgrowth is so crusty it functions as extra armor, and you can beat enemies into a pulp with your now mushroom-club-hands.

Yeah.

It is a great time to get into Caves of Qud because of the following patch/expansion. Check this out.

quote:

The Sultans of Qud: Part 1

Qud is a layer cake of fallen civilizations. If you've read the Baccata Yewtarch's influential history book, "Frivolous Lives", you know that the past 1,000 years were dominated by minor humanoid kingdoms and Girsh attacks. Before that was the Age of the Eaters, when the mysterious progenitors ruled from lofty spires now buried under shale. In particular, the lives of 5 great sultans have been preserved through cultural artifacts and oral tradition.

We've introduced the first part of our Sultans of Qud feature arc.
Each game now includes a procedurally-generated history from the Age of the Eaters.
-There are 4 historical sites located throughout Qud (more to come in future patches), each one at a different degree of difficulty that corresponds to its location on the world map. Their names, descriptions, locations, contents, historical significance, and look & feel are procedurally-generated and different each game.
-Historical sites are populated by cults that worship a particular sultan. Each cult is a coalition of members from other factions, most of which favor the sultan due to some event in Qud's history. The 5 cults are different each game, and each one functions as a faction. You can view your reputation with the cults on the Reputation screen.
-Historical sites contain relics. Relics are powerful items that were generated during the course of history. Many of their properties are new effects and are based on the circumstances of their creation.
-Shrines to the former sultans are located throughout Qud. They depict significant events from the sultans' lives.
-New mods: painted and engraved. Painted and engraved items also depict events from the histories.
-Sometimes, looking at a shrine, painted item, or engraved item reveals the location of a historical site. If it does, you get a quest to visit that location.
-Sometimes, looking at a shrine, painted item, or engraved item reveals the location of a historical relic. If it does, you get a quest to recover that relic. The relic locations aren't revealed on the map; they are individual levels that exist inside some historical site.
-We added a guaranteed sultan shrine to the upper right corner of Joppa. Looking at this shrine reveals a nearby historical location that's usually appropriate, though challenging, for the early game.
-Added some new creatures, furniture, and traps for the historical sites. We'll be adding more in the coming weeks.
-A few additional notes:
--The historical dungeon maps are generated via a new method that produces tremendous variety from themed templates. They take longer to generate, and we haven't optimized the algorithm yet. We'll improve its speed in the coming weeks.
--There's a lot going on behind the scenes to generate the histories and the historical sites, and there are definitely bugs. Please report them and we'll fix them!
--We'll be adding more unique features to the various types of historical sites in the coming weeks. We'll also be adding more sites, mechanics, and a story arc that this into the main quest in Part 2. Stay tuned.

Yes that's right. Procedurally generated dungeons, world history, artifacts and factions you can interact with.

Does this sound a tiny bit like Dwarf Fortress? Yes, yes it does.

Caves of Qud is 10% off, $9 on Steam right now!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/333640/

-----

Not sure?

Check out Splattercat's youtube review and gameplay :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSNP0RK-M_Y&spfreload=5

Popular Mechanics named Caves of Qud one of their top ten games for 2015

http://www.popularmechanics.com/culture/gaming/g2339/best-rpgs-2015/

Want a guide to playing mutants or True Men?

Look no further than bazomatic's post right here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3739217&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=79#post467855216

Come for the guides; stay for Qud chat.

LIVE AND DRINK

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 8, 2017

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Robotech is an anime game :colbert:

edit:

I'm on the fence about Exalted. I could see it being called an "anime" game or a "high-fantasy" game.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 7, 2017

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
wondering what game to run next?

Here you go:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=827628497

Yes that is a Mi-go with a braincase.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Slumbering Ursine Dunes has some good ideas in it

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/140450/Slumbering-Ursine-Dunes

I'm a big fan of the Golden Barge encounter where ghuls claw at your face, proselytizing about how they cleanse people from sin by eating their flesh. In actuality the ship is alive, produces the ghuls as sort of white blood cells to the PC's infection, and then the ship reabsorbs energy from the invaders by metabolizing the ghuls' issuances.

:catstare:

Yeah.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

:allears: We call him Bill Krystal Meth for a reason.

Keep in mind this is the same dude who kept tweeting he was getting public support for the 'Renegade' anti-Trump party.

What do you mean you haven't heard of it???

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

This is precisely why I avoid the hell out of Star Wars games that want you to start off as the Imperials, because it turns out that's the favorite game of some people for some unfathomable reason

Look, bad guys in fiction are always more interesting than good guys.

Look at the Horde vs Alliance ratio on World of Warcraft.

Look at Dante's Inferno. No one gives a poo poo about Paradisio, even Dante.

Superman is perfect and boring. More people like Batman. Same reason.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

unseenlibrarian posted:

More evidence for my theory that everyone who says "Superman is perfect and boring" has never read or seen anything with Superman actually in it.

Totally unsubstantiated statement, which is the norm for you.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Countblanc posted:

The HvA ratios were skewed heavily toward Alliance until they added a race more people wanted to gently caress to Horde

You know what, WoW is a long span of time. It was a bad example. When I was playing the HvA was 2:1.

Edit: the blood elf explanation makes a lot of sense now I think about it.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 11, 2017

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Evil science teachers who throw books at you with magical magnetism powers.

Now I'm interested.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Robot Style posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the fanmade Mass Effect D20 system? I'm currently playing a campaign with some friends, and our hacker party member seems way too OP. At level 2, he was able to open all the holding cells on a military flagship through an air conditioner control inside his cell, which seems a little ridiculous.
It wouldn't be too much of a problem if he wasn't also the group's medic. In our last session he refused to help another player's severely wounded character after a sudden ship crash until the rest of the group agreed to go along with a "Master Plan" he spent two weeks coming up with. The plan was just him using a future-ipad to hack a neutral military frigate in orbit (from the ground, through a signal-jamming sandstorm) and commanding it to fire on a hostile ship, also in orbit. He's currently level 4, and routinely makes rolls in the mid-30's.

Is this guy just taking advantage of a poorly QC'ed fanmade game, or is there active bullshit going on?

Re: Mass Effect adaptations

Other than the 500+ page d20 Juggernaut you linked to, I've uploaded:

- a 66 page Mass Effect system floating around /tg/
- a 200+ page Mass Effect FATE system

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/cc1msshan3cfy/Best_of_tg

Enjoy!

By the way I know there are a bunch of XCOM hacks out there. Please post them so I can collect and organize.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 13, 2017

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
The Wire RPG

"gently caress, gently caress...gently caress" -the Bunk

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Ratpick posted:

And since everyone's talking Kevin Crawford now, his sourcebook An Echo, Resounding may be just the thing I've been looking for: while it's really about domain management and warfare it also has advice for using the tools presented to prep a borderlands area where different polities compete for power and resources. I think going forward I'm going to prep my campaigns using it and use the domain rules to run background events in the game to make the setting feel a bit more organic instead of everything staying the same since campaign day 1.

I want to hear more about this "domain management" system Crawford came up with.

Is it an expansion on his (very good) Faction system in Silent Legions and Stars Without Number?

For you Glorathana / King of Dragon Pass fans, I'll remind you again of the KoDP sequel in the works, Six Ages.

http://sixages.com/blog/

Expected to be released this year.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Ratpick posted:

I've only given Stars Without Number a cursory read, but it seems very similar: Domains have Wealth, Military and Social scores. Locations a Domain controls increase these stats: for an example, having access to a gold mine would give you +2 Wealth, while a Town within your Domain will give you +2 Wealth and Social in addition to modifiers unique to each Town (like, a town with a proud military tradition might give +2 Military and so on). You also have Ruins, which also give a stat bonus to a Domain that controls them (for an example, a Ruin which used to be the seat of the king who ruled all these lands might give you +2 Social, because being able to control it is a pretty convincing way to add legitimacy to your rule).

Before Domains can tap Resources or Ruins they have to resolve whatever issues they might have: the assumption is that Domains have already resolved whatever issue there is with a given location that lies within their borders at the beginning of the campaign, but should they wish to expand their borders into other locations they must first resolve whatever issue there is at that location. Each issue also has a set of tags that determine what stat is used to resolve that issue, and some types of issues even require special units to resolve. For an example, a tribe of goblinods squatting in a mine would have to be resolved with a Military test, and so on.

It's also openly stated that not every issue on the campaign map needs to be resolved through Domain play: with the assumption being that players start as low level characters beneath the notice of Domains, it's entirely possible that the players resolve these issues through simple play. If the PCs go into the aforementioned mine and drive off the goblins its issue would now be resolved and whichever Domain happens to have it within their borders would now be able to make use of it. Apparently the idea is that the GM use the Domain system to add organic background events to the campaign world which the players can react to, meaning that even before the PCs get to name level they already know at least something about what's going on in the world politically speaking.

It also ties PCs into the Domain Management and Mass Combat systems: once characters reach a certain level they start gaining Champion abilities on top of their normal class-based abilities, which actually make the PCs assets to whichever Domain they are loyal to. A Dwarf PC might give the Domain they are loyal to the Dwarf Friend asset, which allows for the recruitment of dwarven units, while a Cleric PC, simply by virtue of existing, will attract a bunch of pilgrims into the Domain they are loyal to and have them build a Shrine.

It's cool.

Great write up of An Echo, Resounding. Thank you.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/99063/An-Echo-Resounding-A-Sourcebook-for-Lordship-and-War

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 21, 2017

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

SunAndSpring posted:

Unless there is futanari content, the greatest of all fetishes forged in the mighty land of Nippon, I too shall pass this game up.

:eyepop:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Trip report Gods of Egypt is a fun D&D like movie. :3

Mecha-Set

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
30% off items in Modiphius's catalogue.

Includes:
- Achtung! Cthulhu
- Mutant Year Zero (Very good)
- Mindjammer
- Mutant Chronicles
- Fiction

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/4329/Modiphiushttp://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/4329/Modiphius

Anyone know about Mindjammer?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Parkreiner posted:

Ah, I misremembered; it was IPR that still carries Empire of Dust.

I also reproduce some :words: I wrote about the game ages ago:

Bought it based on this write up.

Countblanc posted:

I know about Windjammers, is that close

Don't think so. Looks like a Traveler hack in a transhuman universe.

quote:

The Ennie Award-winning transhuman science-fiction RPG setting returns, in a brand new edition for use with the TRAVELLER roleplaying game!

This brand new 384-page hardback book includes:

• full rules for starships, organisations, and culture operations;

• detailed character cultures, genotypes, and new careers—play a sentient starship!

• new and innovative systems for describing planets, star systems, and alien life;

• deep setting material on the New Commonality of Humankind;

• rules for the Mindscape and virtual worlds;

• starmaps and planet descriptions, histories and background.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

There's always the standby of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, too. Each of the parts of JoJo that have been animated are standalone but have links to the prior stories. Part 2 and Part 4 are my favorites. It's pretty easy to jump into Part 4 with no prior knowledge of the setting other than a few secondary characters in the story. Part 4 is also where the concept of "stands" morphs into the intense puzzles over the normal things like rock, paper, scissors, cashing a check, and eating good Italian food. And it somehow works out very well

I've never watched JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, and I narrow my eyes suspiciously at anime, but I did enjoy RPPR's analysis of JoJo's and the parallels between the anime and the FATE rules system of tapping weaknesses for fate points.

"RPPR Episode 137: JoJo’s Compelled Aspect"

http://slangdesign.com/rppr/2016/12/podcast-episode/rppr-episode-137-jojos-compelled-aspect/

It held my attention about anime for a good hour, so that's got to be a recommendation for someone with a passing enjoyment of the subject.

Halloween Jack posted:

As far as genre, I just like any good genre fiction with a nuanced plot and character development, that doesn't rely on just bundling popular cliches together. I really enjoyed Planetes, and I was impressed with Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, even if the political storytelling isn't particularly well-conveyed. (It relies too much on scenes where the cyber-police literally just drive around the city talking politics.)

Love Ghost in the Shell: SAC, but I have to admit this analysis/criticism is dead accurate.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
For a one on one game, preparing it sandbox style (West Marches, anything published by Kevin Crawford) might be your best option.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Speaking of Legends of the 5 rings fans, here is a podcast where the continuity editor for L5R was interviewed.

He's the guy who would work out the narrative prizes for the living card game competitions. This is where the card game players influenced the meta narrative.

http://playbetter.libsyn.com/play-better-podcast-episode-142

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Nice

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Seriously, this guy sells being powerbombed by a blow-up doll better than some wrestlers I've seen facing real humans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LApVz53Spw

I can't find any videos of the ladder winning, though.

Best drat video I've seen in a while.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Arivia posted:

I don't hate the people playing 5e. I do hate Mearls, Zak S, and the rest of them, and you know why. Don't pretend 5e is a neutral topic on these forums, something to despairingly cluck our teeth at like Palladium or bad World of Darkness books.

Beyond that, it's not very groggy to talk about how the latest edition of the most popular, best-known roleplaying game is horrible and bad from a creative and design standpoint. It's not just preference. 5e is objectively a bad game, one we've mocked since its introduction on these forums, and it's not stopping. It could be very little like 4e and that would be fine if it was good, which it isn't.

And yeah, it sucks that such a terrible game is the gateway to the hobby. That's also why there's so much conflict in the thread. Tons of new people who haven't played anything other than 5e, who haven't posted here before and don't know TG culture. They just want a peaceful place to talk about the game with other players, but they don't know why this forum doesn't like 5e at all. They want enworld and we're not that, but since it's popular there's a critical mass to make it something they try to enforce.

You are not a rational adult. Go away.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Ominous Jazz posted:

What are YOUR favorite heist games? Why should I go gently caress myself?

I'd add Red Markets to the list

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/159466030/red-markets

quote:

Red Markets is a tabletop RPG about economic horror.

In Red Markets, characters risk their lives trading between the massive quarantine zones containing a zombie outbreak and the remains of civilization. They are Takers: mercenary entrepreneurs unwilling to accept their abandonment. Bound together into competing crews, each seeks to profit from mankind’s near-extinction before it claims them. They must hustle, scheme, and scam as hard as they fight if they hope to survive the competing factions and undead hordes the GM throws at them.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Is there a YouTube series out there that would be good to show normies a role playing game in action? Sort of like Wil Wheaton's Tabletop?

You are in luck. In addition to Covok's excellent post, we have a thread for podcasts and youtube series.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3743698

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
How are the Labyrinth Lord rules? Are they anything like OSR?

Edit: vv thanks! vv

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 13, 2017

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Countblanc posted:

the first thing i self-published on DriveThruRPG hit $100 in sales!! after over a year!! i'm so proud.

Nicely done

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Cross posting

BEDLAM HALL

unseenlibrarian posted:

So apparently the next game from Monkeyfun studios (The creators of Spirit of '77 aka the source of my avatar pic) I honestly figured that Bucnasti would have come by to tell everyone about already! But look!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/monkeyfunstudios/bedlam-hall-a-macabre-victorian-role-playing-game

The setting pitch is Addams Family meets Downton Abbey, which basically sounds perfect for Dark Shadows.

Bucnasti posted:

Looks like Unseenlibrarian beat me to it but yeah David has a new game. I wasn't involved in this one (other than as a source of encouragement) because it's just not my bag, but he's been working on it for awhile and has really done a great job. You can expect the same level of management of this KS as the So77 one, so it will ship on time etc.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Some bloody genius on /qst/ (4chan's /tg/ quest thread forum) is running a Lego version of Constantine's Hellblazer as a Quest.

Behold

http://boards.4chan.org/qst/thread/1153912

quote:

In 1152, an alchemist named Abdul Abdulavichskison was said to have cut off his own hand and traded it to the world beyond. In exchange, he was given the power within his other hand to enscribe, in a tome bound in the flesh of infants which he called the Necrobibliograph, the names of the thousand horrors that waited beyond our paltry understanding of reality. When he was finished, the book would act as a doorway and the nightmares spilling out would mean the end of the human race.

Of course, that didn't matter to Abdulavichskison, who had gone bloody stark-raving loonie by that point.

On the case

edit:

Lego Quest has a variety of story arcs. Link to the past SEVEN years of it here: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=lego%20quest

Wiki: http://legoquest.wikia.com/wiki/Lego_Quest_Wiki

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 15, 2017

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

P.d0t posted:

Yeah, the basic idea is that if you're playing the general practitioner, you'll wanna dip into both skills.

"Medical" knowledge in the D&D sense would pretty much just be Clerics knowing about healing magic, Necromancers knowing how long a corpse has been dead, and Assassins knowing where to stab hardest, etc.
"First Aid" would be more intended to patch up plot-important NPCs and such, or stabilize the unconscious/dying; healing of PCs would lean on the more mechanical parts of the system.

At one point I had it called "Anatomy & Physiology" but I'm not in love with that naming.

How about Trauma Medicine and Academics: Medical? Or Battlefield Medicine?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Covok posted:

Outside Fen Shui and Feng Shui II, Exalted, Legend of the Five Rings, Tenra Bansho Zero, Reflections, and Ninja Crusade, what other games have Asian-inspired settings that are worth looking at?

I was recommended "Against the Dark Yogi: Mythic India Roleplaying" in this chat thread. I haven't bought or read it yet.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/128449/Against-the-Dark-Yogi-Mythic-India-Roleplaying

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Siivola posted:

Ken Hite's Qelong is a neat fantasy fuckin' Vietnam setting set in an actual fantasy Vietnam.

Second this. Qelong is pretty good.

My only nitpick is that it feels like the kung-fu monk section was seriously edited down for size. Hite has more ideas than his books have space.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Plutonis posted:

Someone make a setting about an underworld full of assassins who use gold doubloons to get their equipment or hang out on assassin hotels.

Blades in the Dark for running John Wick?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Saw this on drivethrough. Anyone read/played it?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Good news! Looks like Mutant Year Zero is completing it's trinity.

https://www.facebook.com/Modiphius/photos/rpp.348868008489660/1333845553325229/?type=3&theater

quote:

Get ready for the rise of the robots! This coming Tuesday Feb 21 Free League launch their Kickstarter for MUTANT: MECHATRON, the next instalment in the award-winning Mutant: Year Zero postapocalyptic RPG franchise. Do you like robots and scifi in the vein of Asimov, Blade Runner, Ex Machina, Automata and Westworld? Then Mutant: Mechatron is for you! Check out the cover art by acclaimed scifi artist Simon Stålenhag below.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

P.d0t posted:

Seems a little bit hair-splitty. But, "Combat Medicine" in place of First Aid and "_____ Medicine" in place of just 'Medical' probably has some merit.

Naming aside, is the distinction in design space adequate?

I'd say so. With the caveat that I don't know how I could improve it as it is currently.

The "Medical" skill is a distinct knowledge or investigation check. As such it fits in with every skill on the list with the exception of "First Aid".

"First Aid" is the odd man out because you use it actively to stabilize a dying character (I'm assuming) or heal another. That's not a bad thing, just an observation. You also specifically stated you could use "First Aid" as a knowledge/investigation check.

For completion's sake I'm assuming your persuade/deceive skills (NPC interaction) are (primarily): Local, Streetwise, Royalty & Nobility, Arcana, and Religion.

quote:

Power Sources, Knowledge Skills, and Performance Skills are the pieces that compose your character's Background. Mechanically, they are less important than "core skills" or combat abilities, but they can be a good starting point for those who like to approach character creation from a more narrative angle.

You've made it explicit that Knowledge Skills are roleplaying and character defining aids/tools so the somewhat nebulous definition of "Medical" fits for the purpose of narrative roleplay. A doctor and a poisoner or martial artist or even a chef could all take "Medical" and justify it differently.

I'll also suggest using the ancient word "Physic" for Medicine. Last time I saw the word used was in the Elric! rpg as a medical skill.

"Physic & Forensics" maybe, depending on what tone you are going for.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Covok posted:

Starjammer just released. So how :effort: is it?

Edit: Oh, that isn't Starfinder. Guess that isn't out yet.

There is also Mindjammer to add to the confusion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
The author also ran a Blades game with the twitch crowd at itmeJP here: Rollplay Blades playlist

Listening to the first episode. It's moody, descriptive and fun so far!

vvv Edit: fixed! Thank you vvv

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 21, 2017

• Locked thread