Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

slap me and kiss me posted:

The 200 Word RPG contest closed with over 700 entries. Anyone here put one in for consideration?

I didn't but I have read like 80 of them so far (I'm judging this year). The top three also get featured on my podcast (woo) so hey good luck to any goons what submitted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

rumble in the bunghole posted:

yeah

E: I am not at all Jealous of the Storygaming Swine who stole my rightful place due to their anti-spaghetti views

I'm half of System Mastery, we were pulling real hard for Muscle Marines and put it in the finalists. It was our personal favorite from our reading blocks.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

slap me and kiss me posted:

Hey, thanks! It was real fun to put together, and I'd love to hear more thoughts on it if you have any.

Well, though we're forever branded as storygaming swine now, it was never part of the judging rules. The rules were literally "Here's a ton of games, pick four favorites." Criteria was left up to individual judges. So in our case (since the other host of my show and I judged as a team) we tried to pick games that made the most efficient use of space in terms of content provided, since the only real metric that writers had to think about was the 200 word limit. A game could fairly easily throw down a new ruleset in 200 words with no story, or a storytelling prompt set with no or limited rules, and those were both fairly common, but I personally loved when a game managed to not only provide both, but have the two link together in an inventive way. Muscle Marines featured a unique resolution mechanic and the theme made sense immediately. I was picturing The Ripping Friends in ill-fitting space marine armor right away, basically. The lack of dice, cards, or coins was a plus, and of the various games that had physical elements it was the only one that was a challenge (the rest were stuff like "walk around a mall.")

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Countblanc posted:

a while back there was a "movement" for people to get fit playing WoW since DPS queue times for dungeons were insane. basically you'd workout while in queue and then stop when your dungeon popped. it was a cool idea

So it's playing a tank that's to blame for why I'm such a fat rear end.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

it's also the people who think narrating their characters failing simple tasks in "wacky" ways is hilarious.

Those people should be playing Panty Explosion. They'd be happiest there. Or wait, whatever the guy relented and changed the name to.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

this better be an at-will utility because it's way too niche to be worth an encounter or daily slot

Sure, to finish it it just needs to be marked as an at-will utility, given an action type (presumably Immediate Reaction), and to keep it from being class dependent, choose a skill to make it a Skill Power of. Diplomacy 2, probably.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

Also apparently Braille is the default illithid written language for some reason?

Written language that works in pitch darkness. Makes sense as an underground written language to me.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Wow, it's like Hite thought the request to make the new Vampire game socially conscious was sarcastic. Who would have thought hiring a crusty conservative designer would result in a book that reads grumpy?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Reene posted:

Oh hey, was it Guardian Games? I was there today too. :V they have lots of poo poo like that.

For free RPG day I got a copy of RuneQuest Glorantha which my buddy is really excited about so I'm looking forward to him running that at some point.

I was at Guardian Games two months ago while visiting Portland. Got some hilarious nonsense for my show. Some Scottish transhuman thing called A State, and a lovely copy of whatever the hell Gear Krieg is.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Ewen Cluney posted:

The other day I made one of those dumb "1 Like = 1 X" Twitter memes, but about game design, and a bunch of people have done it since, putting a lot of really interesting commentary out there:
https://storify.com/Genesisoflegend/wisdom-from-game-design

I did one too! Only to annoy the other guy that uses my shared twitter account since he was really busy, though.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Helical Nightmares posted:

I'm excited about your Gamma World lets play.

Do you know about the goon made roguelike Caves of Qud which pays a lot of homage to Gamma World?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/333640/Caves_of_Qud/

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3739217

I didn't but I will look into it!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

FATAL, obviously. Almost any LOTFP book picked at random. WOD: Gypsies gets special credit for being named after a slur. BOVD can't be the worst but it's one of the highest profile.

Yeah, I can't imagine how this is even a question.

FATAL posted:

88% - Uterus, or womb, connects the vagina and the fallopian tubes.
1. If pregnant, child (80%) likely dies and is born dead. Mother, also, must pass a Health check or die immediately.
2. The tissue leading to the womb will head in 3D6 weeks. Worse above all, this female will not desire sex for 1d6 months.

FATAL posted:

35. Jewy Jewbacca, of: Whosoever dons this armor will acquire a nose twice the size and a manhood half the size. Further, the wearer will become extremely greedy and fight to the death for one silver piece.

For the record, that second quote goes on for a while about body hair after that.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Stuff like this makes me really sad about how small the community is for Strike! Part of why PbtA games are so great is the huge community and all the custom playbooks and stuff, and similar stuff for Strike! (monster sets, custom maps, re-skinned classes) would take it from Great to Seriously Fantastic.

Hah, I just bought it with intent to write some stuff using it.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Ratpick posted:

Plug it on System Mastery so more people become exposed to it and I actually have a chance to find an online group to play it with

Well I bought it so I could look into skinning Blimpleggers onto it, so if that works then yeah I will.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Yet another person that's clearly never read FATAL. The recipient of a sexual act NEVER likes it.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Check out Campaign podcast at oneshotpodcast.com. it's a little slow to progress the story but the GM Kat is inspired at working collaboratively with the players. It's FFG Star Wars for the game.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah this was a new angle for me, but the System Mastery dudes did also mention this - the d20 license meant that if you just wanted to make a setting but weren't a mechanics guy, you could just piggyback off of the d20 mechanics and call it good.

Heck we're doing it now! Thanks Strike!

Halloween Jack posted:

Playing devil's advocate, part of the propaganda for D20 was that there were too many publishers with mediocre in-house systems which they'd created just for the sake of having one. And that was absolutely true. In 2000 there were way too many house systems that all superficially resembled Storyteller/Shadowrun--even when the core mechanic was different, the character sheets looked alike.

While this was certainly 100% true, I find it weird that it would be a motivation for WOTC to try and fix the industry. It's not like lovely paperback Vampire clones like Nightlife and Legacy: War of Ages were going to tear down the industry, they were just going to quietly fail on their very own.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 9, 2017

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

unseenlibrarian posted:

Technically Vampire was a lovely Nightlife clone!

(Vampire came out like a year later, but it was probably 'both of them were working on it at the same time.')

Oh man that completely ruins my personal fantasy narrative. Nightlife really looks like they took at look at White Wolf and said "I can get all this into one book."

Instead, White Wolf saw them and said "They're leaving nerd money on the drat table."

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

I only know Nightlife from the System Mastery episode but this cover will be forever a monument within my psyche.

Get off the drat tracks, mullet enthusiasts! You're holding up the 4:15 Ghost Cougar to midtown!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

We replaced it in the time slot with Expounded Universe, which works well for us since it's different enough to almost count as a break. We have discussed restoring the Q&A sections of Afterthought with like an AMA or a Twitch stream, something like that.

And no, that's the real cover of Nightlife. Got a copy right here.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Haystack posted:

That attitude is, incidentally, why I tend to like Heroquest 2e better than FATE for narrative gaming. In my mind, it's just more satisfying to use something intrinsic to your character to overcome an obstacle, rather than working backwards from a generic skill.

The power of puzzle-solving. It's that feeling you get at the end of Portal 2 when the ceiling breaks away and you see the moon.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

That's pretty much how I felt about it. It's less "here is a game to play" and 100% "here are some mechanics I wrote, maybe you can use them to make a game if you don't get sick of my editorializing first!"

Works for me, since I want to make a game and the mechanics are decently good. I think we'll just be excising the Kit concept, since there's really not a good way to get it to mesh with the combat mechanics without really heavily rewriting a bunch of them. Even without those a starting character is still choosing an Origin, Background, Class, Role, and a feat or two, so dropping Kits just makes sense.

Halloween Jack posted:

AFAIK the only bad thing about Savage Worlds is people on forums insisting it's FAST AND FURIOUS, whatever that means.

You know a game's going to be...memorable when the character sheet looks like the TimeCube guy hired a graphic designer.

One of the weirdest things to me about Immortal: The Invisible War is how it's got a ton of color pages, and those pages are often used for raw text lists. So you'll be reading along in black and white, looking at black and white crazy art (and yes, a lot of also insane color art), and then suddenly you're looking at a bright yellow glossy page that's just a glossary of terms or skill list.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 10, 2017

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

Gamma World would have been better if they'd printed more copies.

There's a lonely brand new copy that's been sitting at my FLGS for like three years. One of these days someone will grab it.

Me, I've got the whole set and Drivethru was polite enough to print me a copy of every card they ever made for it for 20 dollars. The future is rad.

Jimbozig posted:

Kits are my biggest regret in Strike! I didn't present them in a way that motivates players to use them or explains why you might want to use them, and as a result everyone skips them. Which is fine, I wanted them to be optional and not for every game. But I was certainly hoping for more uptake then they have seen. I think they are mechanically sound - they aren't broken or anything. But they don't justify their presence.

My biggest concern when holding them up in our design space was that a bunch of them have a bunch of combat-related effects and skill descriptions, for the purpose of having simultaneous combat models in the game. Basically so that DMs could make the call of "this combat isn't as important and will be handled through your skills." This concept sounds awesome, but since the kits and tactical system are wholly discrete, a problem arises where I feel compelled to remodel the kits to match the classes so that players feel like "I took this archer and then this kit that vaguely resembles the archer."

My first thought at that point was "Okay, excise the combat aspects of the kits, no one wants to play non-tactical combat, the whole point of using Strike! to write Blimpleggers is the cool tactical combat model." But there's too many and they're too ingrained. Which isn't a bug! It's just the natural interaction between two optional game chunks. I am very much digging ARB's concept of parallel noncombat feat trees though, that's a good idea.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 11, 2017

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

What's the quality like?

I also have a number of the original cards (because I have all the box sets and half a booster box I found in the dusty corner of a sports cards store), and the reprints are virtually indistinguishable from the originals.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

ImpactVector posted:

Wait what? The only real downside of the game was the random packs of cards and no easy way to weed duplicates out of your pile or figure out if you have a full set.

:rip::20bux:

Here's the link: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/161308/DD-Gamma-World-RPG-Booster-Cards-GW7e?src=hottest_filtered.

Might be my favorite DTRPG purchase ever.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Gamma World 7e duplicates aren't a bad thing, it's how you get to the Enhanced Human origin.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Arivia posted:

It's funny you say this because the very first NPC in Starfinder material is a non-binary android

Is it ternary? I mean it is the future.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The problem was always that someone who learned to play RPGs via that adversarial DM stuff that Gygax sort of organically came to was hell to play with in any other sort of game, and in fact in general, since mastery of that style was basically learning to avoid doing anything and try to wheedle other people into dying instead.

Ain't a person in the thread that hasn't sat at a table with some guy that would spend 10 minutes laying out endless layered contigency defenses (10 foot pole, floating off the ground, averting my eyes, throw a chicken at it, throw flour in the air, blah blah blah) before opening some innocuous goddamn chest. And it's not like they're being original. It's 10 minutes of call and response they learned from someone that dates back to 1977. Might as well have to stop the game and play Freebird whenever a chest is encountered for all the actual originality that is on display during those poo poo shows.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

whydirt posted:

Honestly the only D&D alignment I like is the original Law vs. Chaos where they don't map to any individual morality and are mostly just different color jerseys.

I liked it when alignment was just nine languages D&D people spoke and they didn't know why they spoke them, and they couldn't teach the languages to people that spoke one of the other languages, and it was rude to speak the languages in public.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Y'all talkin' bout the star of Laser Mission in this thread?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

That elf ain't right.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

I need to commission a few pieces of D&D character art and I have no idea where to go or how to start. I worry that whatever numbers I think might be correct for both time it will take and amount it will cost will just offend whatever artist I try to talk to.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Zoro posted:

Check deviantart. Any artist who takes commissions will have standardized rates with clear examples of what you're looking for.

Yeah, I've been poking around in there. It's mostly fat fetishists, anime tracers, and people that stopped posting in 2013, but I am looking.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Isn't Kitty Pryde still in college or around that age? I remember when I was in high school, around 2004-2005, there was a story arc for a new solo comic with her going to college and one of my friends explained to me how Marvel time is supposed to work, at that time it was about 4 real years to 1 Marvel year, and how it really doesn't.

EDIT: Marvel really needs a Zero Hour type event if it hasn't had one yet. I guess Secret Wars Electric Boogaloo was supposed to fix that at the end or something, I haven't read it yet, but there has never been an event that I know of that explains the changing war careers of Iron Man and Punisher.

I don't think she's in college, I think she's in space, being part of the Guardians of the Galaxy at the moment. Maybe even the new Starlord, I forget.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

What is that supposed to even be? Is the girl in the bubble on the other side of the table? Is it supposed to be one of those "how to translate the inscrutable things a nerd might say" deals? If so, why is what he's saying just a melange of various popular RPG names? How is "Let's eat dinner" translated to "What do you want on dinner?" Is this what it feels like to watch Big Bang Theory?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Wait, you've heard of Magic? My obscure CCG reference wasn't obscure enough! Seriously, your drat dead-rear end great--grandma had heard of D&D. I'm mad at this comic.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Countblanc posted:

that's fair, but also, this is the funniest poo poo ever

Try holding your hands like that lady for more than a second.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Moriatti posted:

Have you never psyched yourself up all day to do something?

Yes, and it made my failure all the more embarrassing. That's why in my games when you used Whirlwind Attack you also have to roll to see if you pee yourself in front of Becky Gunderson from 3rd period physics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Isn't Furian what Vin Diesel was in the Riddick movies?

• Locked thread