Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ominous Jazz posted:

Card's Against Humanity works if you're the target audience, 15 years old and somehow couldn't sneak booze into your small party. You get to be racist and say naughty words only it's a game and you haven't developed the critical thinking necessary to think about why being "pretend racist" with cards is weird.

the one time i played cah it was at a party where everyone but me and one other guy was a 20-something mormon so there was no drinking

so this checks out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Covok posted:

I'll give you those, somewhat. Never played Ryuutama or Shinobigami but those do seem good. By Anima do you mean Anima or Anima: Beyond Fantasy?

Still, most seem pretty disappointing and even those listed don't make me feel like I'm playing an anime.

what does 'playing an anime' mean to you though, it's not like anime is a genre

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Plutonis posted:

I have an infinite amount of contempt for this kind of person and it's a mindset that's incredibly common on SA.

sorry friend you just have to accept that All Anime Is Bad except anything toonami aired when i was 12 and gurren lagann

edit: jojo's too, goons are both allowed to like and encouraged to never shut the gently caress up about jojo's

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

yeah i imagine alot of 'anime games' are still in that 90s mindset where marketing told all us kids that anime was a genre on its own so if you like one anime you'll like all anime so they try to make gundam and slayers and cardcaptor all playable in one system

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

oh btw the best shonen anime game? Marvel Heroic Roleplaying

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Covok posted:

Monster Hearts: gently caress no, that's a twilight game

replace the spooky stuff with swords and you've got utena

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Covok posted:

It literally started life as a Twilight joke game before it was developed to be something serious.

i know, i was just making a joke about them both involving teens and relationship drama

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

why can dryads bone down on literally everyone but lizards

what makes lizards so special

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Robot Style posted:

he refused to help another player's severely wounded character after a sudden ship crash until the rest of the group agreed to go along with a "Master Plan" he spent two weeks coming up with.

well regardless of what flaws might exist in that system i'll definitely say there's some bullshit going on that can be blamed on the player

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ominous Jazz posted:

Just play feelings and lazers

or impulse drive if you're a pbta fan

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ratpick posted:

Someone on tumblr posted a way back about using Strike! for Mass Effect. I have to admit that I'm not familiar with the series myself, but as far as I understand they're essentially sci-fi RPGs with some cover-based shooting, so it does not seem that far-fetched an idea. You could probably even hack the emotional attributes system in some way to make a Paragon/Renegade system. Maybe? I don't know.

yeah the cover + positioning stuff of strike could actually be a real good fit for how mass effect 2 and 3 play

is that emotional attributes system from a supplement? i don't remember it being in the core book

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ratpick posted:

It's in the core book, but it's an optional rule. I think the example given was using it for a Sanity system, but one of the Kits (the moneybags kit) used it for Greed.

Of course it'd have to be hacked so that it's not a single scale but a continuum, but I could see it working.

okay yeah found it on page 73

i'm not sure you'd necessarily need it to be a continuum, you could maybe have paragon and renegade as two different skills? i remember in at least one of the MEs the two didn't cancel each other out and you could potentially have both maxed through new game+

the whole 'stop becoming a PC or lose the skill at 6' is a little extreme for paragon/renegade though. i'm actually getting kinda interested in running a mass effect strike game now, if anyone's got any other ideas of how to do paragon/renegade stuff(or if it's really even necessary) i'm all ears

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

was it a good harambe joke?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

Much like the characters in recent Fire Emblem games all of the Overwatch characters are very obviously pandering to fetishes.

the hell kinda fire emblem games have you been playing

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

Awakening and Fates? Have you not noticed that every character is some turbo focused anime waifu/husbando archetype?

yes i've noticed that but anime archetype is not the same thing as a fetish

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ettin posted:

Please don't colonel klink shame

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

gnomes are cool in eberron

that's...that's about it

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

unseenlibrarian posted:

(Basically think the Monorail song from the Simpsons only with "Middleware" as the keyword)

"Were you sent here by the Devils?"
"No good sir, I'm too low level."

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

be glad it's 2 am or i'd do the whole song

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The head fell off my partisan
Take my 1d4 knife, my good man

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

nelson posted:

Couldn't those two have been probated instead of closing the whole thread?

it's not like that thread had otherwise been friendly and charming up until recently, even when people were staying on-topic it was constantly full of paggro sniping towards The Wrong Side and yelling past each other

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i was under the impression that the most zack s did for 5e was being a playtester

which like, yeah it'd be better if he didn't even get that much credit for the hobby's biggest, most talked about game but i ain't gonna dump on every 5e player over it

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

depending on what you mean by 'lighter' marvel heroic roleplaying is great and is far more about genre emulation than calculating how many square pounds the hulk can lift (if you can put up with games that are discontinued + involve dicepools)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the worst part about 13th age is that the glorantha book still isn't out yet

i'm not even that into the setting i just want those more involved martial classes i've heard about

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

Having gotten to look over the Nocturne book more, I have to say that I really dig the classes in there a lot too. One's kind of a mage class but mostly relies on building a battle construct to fight for them. One eats ghosts and uses powers derived from that to fight. And the last one is a Blade-style monster-hunter-who-is-also-sort-of-a-monster. I'd throw all of them in a pool alongside the Glorantha classes (when they come out) and the regular 13th age classes if I ran a game

poo poo i completely forgot that even came out, how's the world fluff?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's wallpapered-over Ravenloft. I like Ravenloft so it's all cool to me. The new races are werebeast, vampire, and "sallowfolk" (artificial human, aka Frankenstein's monster).

thanks, i've always liked the idea of ravenloft but the only books for it being an edition i had next to zero knowledge in made giving the setting a genuine attempt to read through a struggle

guess i'm picking up nocturne soon then

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

I should add that as a bonus it avoids a lot of the dumber/poorly-executed bits of Ravenloft like the magical gypsy race and sanity rules

someone please tell me that 5e ravenloft adventure avoided reintroducing the magical gypsies

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Curse of Strahd avoided reintroducing the magical gypsies.

I hope that lie helps you feel better.

that one moment i had in between reading the two sentences was pretty nice i'll admit

(goddamit wotc)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Plutonis posted:

Don't see the need for the latter part myself.

yeah, text and voice being separate is really nice in my book

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Countblanc posted:

it features the working class (martial) being gifted equality to the capitalists (arcane/divine) by the government (wizards of the coast)

it features guidelines for a guaranteed minimum income so no one falls dramatically behind on wealth

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

[in the tone of chastising someone buying potato chips on ebt] why is that martial restoring someone's hp? if they want that they should have to earn it by getting a class with some spell slots like the rest of us

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Plutonis posted:

I'm playing a greek mythology inspired Pokemon Tabletop United game as a Scythian mounted archer girl who rides a skiddo and an onix.

how is ptu in play? i've tried skimming through the rules but surprisingly it comes off rules-dense enough that i doubt i'll ever power through it unless i was actually gonna play it

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i mean yeah there is the video game origin aspect, it was just weird at first glance for a franchise for kids to have a fangame that's not more easily approachable

but whatevs, it seems like it knows it's audience is gonna be mid-20s nerdos at least semi-into pen & paper stuff and i can't fault it for that

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Plutonis posted:

It's a fangame! Also unrelated but I really wish someone did one for Fire Emblem.

i spent like 5 years of my teenagedom on a fire emblem message board where we did little fights with OCs using the in-game stat calculations and using random.org for all our attack rolls and level-ups

so yeah, :same:'d in a way i've never :same:'d before

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

remusclaw posted:

On that front, if the writer doesn't have anything interesting to say about slavery, why should they include it?

is there really anything interesting to say about slavery at all though

there's not really a lot of moral nuance to dig into on the subject of owning other human beings

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

remusclaw posted:

Why, for instance, do people(not you as far as I can tell), go all apologetic on ancient slavery as opposed to American chattel slavery when defending it?

again it's an issue of distancing, american racial politics are still very much tainted by the history of black slavery and the poisonous ideologies that justified it

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i like to tell myself i only like elves when people put an interesting spin on them but that's a lie, i just love elves no matter what

it's me, i'm the guy who will fight all of you elf haters

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

It would be nice if gnomes could be racist against the Swiss instead of what they are now.

i feel like eberron gnomes are racist against some mid-tier 18th century european power but my colonized eyes can't distinguish between them enough to figure out which one

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

well if we're doing this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

So much of D&D is "yeah, the book says that, but..."

it hit me the other day when i was reading up on the new 5e book just being a bunch of old adventures refitted for 5e the similarities between the way d&d sells itself and internet fandoms sell themselves, it's so much about evoking community history and moods and cute little in-jokes or references and so little about the property itself

so it kinda fits that so much of d&d is 'well in my headcanon necromancy isn't evil' and other begrudging semi-acknowledgments of the property's flaws

• Locked thread