Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero
Mind of a Lazy, Easily Distracted, Waste of Space

ManMythLegend posted:

I mean I know the idea of, "pick another game if someone will be uncomfortable with it," is pretty difficult to wrestle with, but my goal at most parties is not to be the official Gaming Ambassador so while those games you mentioned are great I'm not always carrying them with me just in case someone mentions CAH while I'm out. Like it or not, CAH did an incredible job at penetrating the non gamer market.

Arivia posted:

One thing that CAH is really good for in parties where people aren't board game nerds is that it generates a lot of discussion really well (since each round is a turn of dirty jokes.) I wouldn't want to play something more involved or gamey than that when you're at a party to socialize and get drunk or high in your order of choice.

It's weird that CAH has basically made it to the point where it's one of the 3.5 board games (Monopoly, Risk, CAH, and mayyyyybe Munchkin, depending on your crowd) that normal-ish people are familiar enough with to name, especially since it doesn't have the cultural space of Monopoly or Risk. It does a lot of things right for a game you can pull out a party if you're bad at making small talk or want to have a structured activity to keep your aunt from sharing her personal opinion on the Black Lives Matter movement: It's simple to understand from watching, it doesn't require a lot of skill (so most players have a good shot at winning a couple of rounds), it allows for players to drop in or out without much disruption, it doesn't have a fixed length (so you can call it done whenever people start to get bored), it has a small number of components and it doesn't really demand much in the way of physical space so you can just sit around a couch or on the floor. So there's a lot of really good stuff to mine in the way of party game design

It does have a lot of creaky bits, including: that it tends to be a bad conversation starter, that it tends to make quiet, non-aggressive people less chatty and encourages loud, opinionated people to suck up all the conversational oxygen with Family Guy quotes, that it ages poorly (because I'm a boring old, the number of parties I attend that aren't work or family related has declined massively). Maybe I'm overthinking things, but in my experience, something like Balderdash or Telestrations or Monikers does a better job of making a shared experience for people to talk about/during.

As my wife put it, "it gets a little Milk/ Milk /Lemonade..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero

I've been asked to play a dimension-hopping wizard in an upcoming Cortex plus game set in the modern United States, and I've been trying to brainstorm some unusual schools of wizardry that would be a fun basis for a character. Some of the schools from Unknown Armies have been interesting, but I'm looking for something a little more towards superheroic-y and fun than that. Ideally it would have an associated skill-set that would help the character blend into society (e.g. a demonologist might be good at contract law). Anyone have suggestions (or suggestions for a book/source that might be useful)?

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero

dwarf74 posted:

I am not considering strike for this, but also please shut the gently caress up about strike.

Atomic Robo is looking good so far. I am however totally unfamiliar with the source material.

It's a good comic! But, seriously, I feel like the books would do better if they were less closely tied to the Robo-verse, as it totally works for other settings with a tiny bit of re-skinning. The way it handles skill bundles makes for better character creation and easier aspects than a lot of other FATE versions, and the SCIENCE! rules are quite good, but a lot of folks just skip it because it's tied to a property they don't know about/care for. OTOH, I find the stunt rules to be a little less than super-awesome, but that's mostly because I find FATE stunts to be poorly defined.

• Locked thread