Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Also 'ironic' racism is a pretty big party killer, at least around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Plutonis posted:

from what Monster Manual is this Ivan Ooze-looking motherfucker from

Dude's looks like a Genasi of some description IMHO.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The Tapir have a sacred ritual to create magical opposable thumbs. Morokanth rule.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The Morokanth are one of the five(?) tribes of Prax. The other four are humans who have a special connection to a totemic animal. Basically the Praxian god Waha held contests with the winner getting to eat the loser but the loser gaining the ability to live in the Wastelands. The Wastelands were mythically hosed by the GODSWAR against Chaos so it's not a bad deal either way. Humans won each time handily except for the Tapirs who either cheated or won completely legitimately depending on who you ask, which is why they herd Gerns, humans without sentience.

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 17, 2017

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It is kind of weird parents would want to engage children in structure for imaginary play, with the ability for them to engage in both mathematics and problem solving. Who would want to spend time with their own children instead of making them "find their own fun"

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I do like the first post complaining about playtesting like its some mad new idea and not a rule almost every TG contest has had.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

It's a good one, too. If you can't find some people on TG to play anime games there's a problem.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

rumble in the bunghole posted:

It is a pretty bad idea unless you know how to drag my group away from their campaign to try an untested game based on a genre and medium they don't like, by someone they've never met. I haven't seen an RPG competition that needed as much effort as this one, and this is supposed to be a joke challenge on a small forum with some $20 gift vouchers. If you go to heavy with rules and poo poo it'll go the same way as every other rules-bloated forums competition: It'll be too annoying to actually organise and nobody will sign up.

There are four rules and I personally posted in the contest thread that I will put together a group and run any qualifying Japanese animation simulation. Much like every other TG contest with that rule, you don't actually have to use your personal group of bosom buddies in a ten month campaign to test all edge cases. Somebody, anybody just needs to kick the drat thing's tires.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The blood/booze lake is my favorite Orlanthi myth that's straight taken by a real mythos.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The idea of anything Antonio Inoki does as real beyond "get bank for Antonio Inoki" is the biggest laugh I've had all week.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Halloween Jack posted:

When you actually get yourself elected to Japan's National Diet and work international politics to promote the most widely attended wrestling show in world history in North Korea, it really blurs the line.

Or possibly converting to Islam for the purpose of promoting wrestling. The man has more hustle by both definitions than anyone else alive, that's for sure.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Evil Mastermind posted:

That would be pretty hilarious, though. Especially if it was still in a different venue each week but still picked up right where it left off at the start of every show.

CHIKARA did it once.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
If you didn't believe that wrestling was anime CHIKARA would fix that real drat quick.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's not nearly as bad now that there's streaming for the tape catalogue but that's definitely a problem yeah.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
A Heist game list without Leverage is a drat poor list. Leverage is built from the ground up to be a game about stealing poo poo and that's all. No muss, no fuss, no cruft. When I'm not phone posting I'll put in some details and charts and so on but if you want to steal poo poo do it in Leverage.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
In addition to what other people have said (Holy poo poo I love that flashback mechanic, and Sprawl's point pools serve a similar function), the various characters have Cortex+ style die size for the various roles, which isn't a measure of how good you are but instead is a measure of how often using that skill causes complications. Which means that there's less of a feeling of....niche protection I suppose? It helps with the feeling that anyone can do the hacking or the stealing or the punching because you're not necessarily bad at thing but you doing thing is unpredictable. It's a game whose mechanics, unlike games like Shadowrun, are focused entirely for the narrative of the heist while being about people who are competent and could possibly steal something without it being Fiasco. Which is still the world's best clusterfuck simulator, for sure.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
There was also the fact that apparently when Mearls received emails about the histories of harassment he asked for, he shared them with S for "confirmation", and not in a NAME REDACTED way either.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yo he shared names of people who said Zak was a harasser with Zak which then caused a double down on that harassment that took an actually good game designer off the internet entirely. So long as Mearls gets money from 5E that's a reason to boycott 5E.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Hell, Mikan had already self banned from SA by then.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah. Mikan, along with others, told Mearls. Mearls told Zak about it. Suddenly Mikan is literally driven off the internet by a coordinated harassment campaign. Mearls gets money from 5E. People should know.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Monsters and Other Childish Things already exists though?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Covok posted:

Nah, isn't MAOCT more like a goth with an "imaginary" friend who hurts they hate in a macabre take on a childhood reality and less, well, this...nevermind as it seems like there are next to no digimon videos on youtube that aren't amvs or video games. So, anyway, that isn't more a mecha series meets the archetype of "a boy and his dog."

I mean, do you usually go on adventures in a world run by evil monster overlords and fight bad monsters with reused animation in sparse enviroments in MAOCT?

You're a kid with a monster buddy and do monster buddy kid poo poo, I think you may have combined Little Fears and MaoCT together.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Whatever it turns out to be I'm betting dollars to donuts it's a Chris Fields joint. Probably the one that has Roe v. Wade shatter America into Pagan Witch Land and RoboMiddle America.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Kick rear end and Chew Bubblegum but the bubblegum is competency.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
If you think that's wild, go read Infinite Kung Fu.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Shadow of the Demon Lord has a bunch of rules in I think the Demon Lord Companion that make the heroes a lot more durable and generally badass. If you gotta use a D&D-a-like use that one.

My actual answer is octaNe, though.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Just have the Morality Box turn into Moralitron and have your combat boys beat up a robot would be my first thought.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

nomadotto posted:

I've been asked to play a dimension-hopping wizard in an upcoming Cortex plus game set in the modern United States, and I've been trying to brainstorm some unusual schools of wizardry that would be a fun basis for a character. Some of the schools from Unknown Armies have been interesting, but I'm looking for something a little more towards superheroic-y and fun than that. Ideally it would have an associated skill-set that would help the character blend into society (e.g. a demonologist might be good at contract law). Anyone have suggestions (or suggestions for a book/source that might be useful)?

Muscle Wizard who learned how to Wizard from a Hero Of The Beach manual is a classic for a reason.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Friends at the Table, definitely. Not to spoil anything too much, but Austin Walker takes a joke about Zombie Pirates and makes it a through-line of the campaign and it's cosmology.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
One hundred percent disagree on the idea that Friends at the Table are "terrible players".

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
And I don't think these players undermine the game's tones? COUNTER/Weight had them hard bounce off Technoir, but all of the memorable poo poo from say Winter in Heiron is directly from Austin reacting to the work and the decisions his players make.

Like, to use an example from Austin Walker's Favorite Anime, even 8th MS Team had jokes in between the horrors of jungle warfare with giant robots.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The thing is, problems of "They tell jokes or laugh like normal human beings instead of being stone faced vigil to these tragedies" aside, one thing Friends at the Table does really, really well is having a significant player buy in to the settings. Every set of games they run begins with an episode that's literally just collaboratively working out the setting from broad strokes down to the individual characters. They just recently started a new campaign where everyone basically built a god and their society except that the gods are space robots and it's a future-utopia that's in the process of becoming unsustainable.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Lazer Ted is a national treasure. Also it's cool and good that you insist that Ali was playing her character wrong all the time by being too quiet and passive that's not weird at all.

Like, the idea this poo poo is against Austin's True Spirit of the game kind of misses all the various terrible and great jokes Austin drops loving constantly in his own game.

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 4, 2017

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I will say that all the FaaT games start lighter and then as time passes the narrative tends to get more focused as stakes have escalated.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Chuubo's seems to be the closest thing a tabletop game has come to a closet drama, where your ability to read and be amazed by system and setting is far more important that the actually playing of a game.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I mean, people have performed Faust too. I'm not saying that the game is UNplayable, but that it seems that ease of play was not the foremost goal.

EDIT: and it's a bit unfair of me to say it's the closest thing to when other games far more up their own rear end about things exist, to be fair.

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 10, 2017

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, I mean immediately after I posted that I remembered THE SECRET FIRE existed and recant that. I think that Chuubo's is more like a closet drama than those games though because the mechanics are actually interesting and innovative and fun to examine but good luck actually using the book to run a game as written.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

drrockso20 posted:

That's retarded

Actually it is cool, good, and also not worth dropping slurs over.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Considering yet another trans creator has been driven off social media by S just this week that speech is actively offensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Arivia posted:

Who? Also that's not a link to goddamn Zak.
https://twitter.com/a_man_in_black/status/897993256734048256

When poo poo like this keeps happening the statement "there are no gatekeepers" is at best notably ignorant.

• Locked thread