Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I'd really dig a shonen adventuring party rpg. One Piece and stuff I haven't read like Fairy Tail seem like good fits. You'd need some good rules to give weight to super-giant attacks and Power Levels, as well as just managing the tendency towards solo fights, so just fate or gurps wouldn't fit great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

That Old Tree posted:

Sorry friend, you just missed the Exalted 3 Kickstarter.

It wouldn't work for a few reasons.

1. No room for Usopps or Tony Tony Choppers, or more goofy stuff
2. The power system doesn't fit, it's all rocket tag, perfect defense and picking rote charms from a list rather than creative applications of powers on the fly, pain fueling your burning spirit and personal convictions over set virtues
3. It's got nothing to do with the shonen genre aside from PCs being powerful and vague manga influences. Exalted are closer to Shonen Villains than anything else.

I also don't like the core mechanics and setting but that's beside the point. If I actually did it I'd probably just do a 13th age campaign and start at a higher level. The Escalation die, backgrounds and Icons are a step in the right direction, even if the setting and D&D stuff don't fit and you'd need really good Martials.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 9, 2017

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Is there another thread around or did the goon hivemind decide the game wasn't good enough to deserve one?

Just make it yourself, you aren't seperate from the hivemind.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Ominous Jazz posted:

Better question, where's the Phoenix Wright simulator?

The only lawgame I know in english is Sea Dracula, which uses dance-offs as the only resolution mechanic.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Simian_Prime posted:

I'm also not feeling the hype for SotDL. So far it just looks like "grimdark D&D with a better rule set."

It's a solid work that isn't totally revolutionary, but works well for what it is. The insanity rules, class system and boons and banes are good systems. I like the grimdark flavor in most cases, even if it doesn't give you much room to actually affect the world. I'm not really down with a lot of it, like it's bad use of grossness as a horror element, the fast/slow turn system or grid combat in a horror game, but it's a decent 7/10

Mr. Maltose posted:

I do like the first post complaining about playtesting like its some mad new idea and not a rule almost every TG contest has had.

It is a pretty bad idea unless you know how to drag my group away from their campaign to try an untested game based on a genre and medium they don't like, by someone they've never met. I haven't seen an RPG competition that needed as much effort as this one, and this is supposed to be a joke challenge on a small forum with some $20 gift vouchers. If you go to heavy with rules and poo poo it'll go the same way as every other rules-bloated forums competition: It'll be too annoying to actually organise and nobody will sign up.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 19, 2017

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I'd play the hell out of a Promethean GTA game.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

ratpick posted:

Donald Trump makes good on his promise from his inauguration speech to unlock the mysteries of space.

The terrible mysteries of space.

Donald trump is going to push me down the stairs?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Bunch of no shows at the meetup and I had to can a paranoia sesh. I really wanted to be a jerk dm for once.

Ratpick posted:

The closest thing we've got to something like that is Card Hunter, which is actually pretty fun.

Seconding this, it's a cool game.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Countblanc posted:

That took me a minute too.

All Outta Bubblegum sounds like something I should look up sometime.

It's a very good system for drinking games: Just swap bubblegum for shots.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Fuego Fish posted:

D&D's popularity is kind of annoying because I'd like to do some tabletop work that I can slap up on my website as a sort of Here's Why You Should Hire Me To Write For You, but I can't abide with WotC for ethical reasons, and Pathfinder suffers from the same 3.x problem of "none of the numbers really mean anything, you might as well just throw random poo poo together and maybe make sure a 7th level wizard can one-shot/bypass your encounters entirely so nobody gets stuck" when it comes to adventure design.

I was looking at 13th Age for a bit, and also a few official Fate books, but it'd be nice to settle on a decent, solid, non-obscure system that I can write stuff for without feeling morally opposed to doing so. Which is why anything by White Wolf is out of the question now.

Your best bet is poking around with an original system. It doesn't have to be something super special but it'd show

1: You're creative enough to come up with your own work. That's probably not as valued as people think it is (in general) but it looks good
2. You've got technical writing skills that are good enough to explain your own systems.

It doesn't have to be a super unusual system, just something that shows a good deal of personality. That, and if you don't want to do Pathfinder stuff, and you have ethical disagreements with D&D (and I'm presuming White Wolf now) that leaves you with gently caress-all paying gigs in the industry that you don't make yourself.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

The Deleter posted:

Does anyone have a link to that thing that describes running a JoJo's Bizzare Adventure game in Fate?

http://slangdesign.com/rppr/2016/12/podcast-episode/rppr-episode-137-jojos-compelled-aspect/

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Simian_Prime posted:

I like Dungeon World, but I agree that one of the major things missing are any OSR style rules for stronghold building beyond "this is how much coin you need to have a castle built." It'd be nice to include Advanced Moves that reflected stuff like "your character attracts a group of mercenary followers" or "you own a wizard's laboratory and can make your own monsters."

It'd be pretty easy to adapt the Hardhold from AW, and make it a level up thing.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Change it to Shadowrun Sucks.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Here's a roundup of entries in the 2017 200 word RPG competition I found interesting.

I should get the excellent goon entries out of the way first. Flavivirus made a couple of cool ones, 1 flavourful action game and 1 character-driven structured improv

Slap me and kiss me made made a cool game with a really good and evocative resolution system.

slap me and kiss me posted:

I put together a submission for the 200 Word RPG Contest. Clocking in at 195 words is Might Makes Right: Muscle Marines in Space

You are Muscle Marines, charged with keeping the universe awesome.

Setup
The strongest player is the Muscle Master (MM), who runs the game, describing situations and people.

Everyone else is a Muscle Marine. Name your Marine and write down four personality traits, six skills, and a Muscle Marine Profession (e.g. Muscle Pilot, Muscle Negotiator, Muscle Tactician).

Conflict
When you are in conflict, arm wrestle the MM. If a skill or profession applies to the conflict, use your good arm, otherwise use your bad arm (when mismatched, use palm to back of hand). If you win, your character overcomes the obstacle. If you lose, do 10 push-ups (seven if you are roleplaying a personality trait) and continue play. If you can’t finish the full set, you must hit the showers and are out of the game.

Muscle Missions
1. Rescue a space gym from the Evil Beancounter Alliance.
2. Help the Fitness Federation move into a cool new pad.
3. Throw a Spacetacular party for your buds at the beach (watch out for space sharks).
4. Put a stop to the SpaceSteroid Crisis of 2374.
5. Bring the great science of healthy eating to Gluttonia

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15jOpxTZM0X9pdgAURVyUW3UzDt4OTCYIK8LCVG-sPbw/edit

On the site, I liked RPG Gumbo by M. Krilov & J. England,

quote:

Get a bunch of players and snacks. Each player must bring three of the crunchiest, dustiest, or hippiest RPG books they own. Make some characters. Shuffle the books and everyone takes one book. You must use physical copies, there should be plenty left. Whenever a rule is needed, all players search their one book for a relevant rule. The first person to find a relevant rule wins narrative control. The rule must be read aloud. You do not need to follow the rule to win. After each rule resolution, shuffle the books so that nobody has the same book twice.

Emmet made a 200 character RPG, which is still more mechanical than half the games submitted

quote:

Write 1 long-term goal (dream), 2 short-term goals (hope), 2 beliefs, and a description. For conflicts, beliefs > hopes > dreams > beliefs. One may be used only once a session. Afterwards, change one.

Flesh, and Other Inconvenient Things is a solid zombie push-your-luck game by Nolan Lindberg

quote:

Survive 30 days until the military arrives.
Each new day: Roll 3d6 and arrange them lowest to highest, corresponding to morning, midday, and night. That’s the number to roll to return home safely at that time of day.

Everyone takes an action and chooses to return home or not. Turns advance time. If night, you must return home.

You determine the difficulty of your actions (N), roll >N to succeed, otherwise fail. If you roll higher, you don’t get more stuff.

Bases = 10 starting HP.
Characters = 10 max HP, 0 = death.

Actions in base
Fortify base +N base HP.
Heal person N HP (requires medkit). If fail, destroy medkit.
Cook: +N food, if fail -N food.

Actions outside (Zombie roll to come home)
Gather N food.
Scrounge: 1-2 ammo, 3-4 chainsaw, 5 medkit, 6 gun.

Zombie encounter: failure, take d6 damage and drop everything.
Without chainsaw 6+ safe.
With chainsaw 4+ safe chainsaw always breaks.
With gun 4+ safe, reroll with another ammo.

Food consumption: Effects
2: +1 HP
1: Nothing
0: -1 HP

Each night: Eat, then Zombies attack, they deal 1d6 damage per player to the base. If base HP reaches 0 then everybody gets a zombie encounter.

[TECH]: Boldly Go (a Starship Simulator) is a really cool Star Trek game built around blackjack, while still building in technobabble mechanics

quote:

GM creates narrative and presents challenges. Players overcome challenges and help shape narrative.

Shuffle a poker deck. Reshuffle as needed.

Players choose rank (and draw hand size):
Captain, 5
Commander, 4
Lieutenant Commander, 3
Lieutenant, 2

And department:
Command
Science
Medical
Engineering
Security

To overcome challenges, players play cards and combine values. Redraw rank value when cardless. (Keep hands secret.)

GM presents a challenge. Together, choose characters being challenged. Reveal one seed card from the deck (two if one character is challenged alone).

Challenged players, in whatever order, narrate their action (use technobabble!), and must add one card, attempting to total 17-21 (like blackjack: aces are 1 or 11; face cards 10s).

Narratively, consider black cards as “and...”; reds as “but...”

21? Direct hit! (Or whatever’s dramatic...)

<17 or >21 fails! Another challenge escalates, and GM’s choice: a character’s injured (hand size -1; discard immediately), or system’s damaged.

When systems (shields, weapons, engines, etc.) take damage, one player plays a card to its total. If >21, it’s destroyed. Healing/repairing is a challenge; remove one damage or injury.

When challenges factor in departmental expertise, players may replace any played card (even the GM’s) with one of theirs of matching suit.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

The 200 Word RPG contest closed with over 700 entries. Anyone here put one in for consideration?

I made 2, one Kung-Fu Spaghetti eating tournament and One Prisoner's Dilemma strategy Clusterfuck

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Gonna do a roundup of some of the cooler entries I saw

FAERY QVEEN is definitely the best writing I've seen so far.

quote:

Some Gentle Knights were pricking on the plaine,
Ycladd each one with words and siluer shielde,
A part of erry story booke and game,
The Faery Qveen did quest them ne’re to yielde,
Banner makes known their hearts upon the fielde,
Each Gentle Knight chosen to represente,
Elements of themselves revealed,
Holiness, Chastity, or Justice,
Temperence, Friendship, all to be writ.

With unique elemental hearte displaied,
All Gentle Knights are blessèd with a queste,
For lo the Faery Qveen is much dismaied,
To see such creatures ravaging up in jest,
This Feary Land that she has deemed is beste,
Each Gentle Knight in turne will ride oot,
And draw upon the decke of tarot blessed,
For discovery of what comes now aboot,
Mettle of Gentle Knights will be in doubte.

Draw Cups and others will describe a threate,
Of water, emotions, friends, creation,
Draw Pentacles and Gentle Knights will get,
Problemes of earth, greed, and materiation,
Draw Swords for air, power, minde, and ration,
Draw Wands, for viality, and the soul,
Gentle Knight tastes defeat unless conception,
Of personal elemente to their goal,

All other Gentle Knights shall decide
If cards are won, or set aside.

PrankstersDillema.html] Prankster's Dilemma is really solid for a simple design

quote:

Who put a goat in the cafeteria?!?! The morning after Senior Prank Day, someone is taking the fall...

One player is the Principal, trying to catch em all. The remaining players are Students, all of whom organized a prank but don't want to be held back from graduating.

Three phases;

Pranks: Students each secretly send a text to another Student with a prank they organized and a random detail about it. Anyone who gets a text copies that text to the Principal, thus hiding the culprit but establishing a witness.

Planning: Everyone does whatever else outside of this game for the next hour+ (party, game, etc.) while Students pin down alibis and allies. When talking about anything in game, Students can ONLY communicate with other Students via texts.

Punishment: Eventually gather everyone together. The Principal tries to figure out blame, while Students try to get away with whatever they did. Players can say or do anything their character might.

After 15 mins of investigating the Principal assigns blame for all pranks. The Principal wins if they correctly blame more Students than they get wrong. Any Student who wasn't correctly blamed also wins, but ONLY if the Principal has won too.
Nakama: A card game of magical girls is probably my favorite of the many magical Girls games that popped up, it's a bit more mechanical and the novelty of cards for resolution hasn't got old for me yet

quote:

Five players, two decks of cards (no jokers.)

Four players are a magical girl team; Princess Heart/Diamond/Club/Spade. Divvy each suit to their respective player.

You are The Adversary. You get a full deck of your own.

The Princesses interact with each other in their lives, then the monster of the week attacks! Everyone shuffles their decks.

The Adversary draws one card for the monster’s Strength and unique power; Princesses must meet or exceed this to score a hit. Each Princess describes what they are doing and draws a card from their deck. Each Princess must score one hit before the monster is weakened; one more hit defeats it.

The Monster draws a second card; the suit is an attack on that Princess! She draws a card to defend herself (losing two cards if unsuccessful.) A Princess is down if she is out of cards.

Princesses recover all lost cards when a monster is defeated.

The Princesses win by defeating 13 monsters.

MONSTERS
Hearts: Recovers one hit each round.
Diamonds: Requires two Princesses to score one hit for it to count.
Clubs: Can force a Princess to discard one extra card.
Spades: Can attack two Princesses. (Resolve separately.)

There's a lot of games this year so if anyone else has seen something cool, share it

That's a very evocative prisoner's dilemma! Great job

Thanks! I think it's completely unplayable, although that's true of like half the entries. I'm a little disappointed I had to cut back on the Glyph generation as well

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Congrats to Slap Me and Kiss Me for being a finalist in the 200 word rpg with Might Makes Right: Muscle Marines in Space.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Holy poo poo, really?

yeah

quote:

Finally a game for the middle of the Nerd/Jock Venn Diagram. An RPG where everyone is musclebound and everything is resolved through feats of strength. Not only a funny and novel way to resolve conflict but one where player interaction is heightened through the fact that you are all trying to work (out) together. Hits all the great notes for a micro RPG: Creativity, simplicity, but still recognizably a role playing game

E: I am not at all Jealous of the Storygaming Swine who stole my rightful place due to their anti-spaghetti views

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
That wizard staff is insanely OP. A goddamn 4d6 melee attack? That's quadruple the rogue's dagger.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I think Elminster doesn't gently caress, he's just a buddy with the author of the books and asks him to add scenes where he fucks.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
There's something about listing Salvatore as an influence that I find really funny.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I will not take this anti-beholder slander lightly. They aren't more complicated than your average spellcaster, have a cool lovecraft-light dark fantasy feel that suits D&D perfectly and are incredible centrepieces for dungeons.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Nobody's really got any idea about D&D's specific sales figures. I can see it being successful based on being a good time for it in the zeitgeist though.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

S.J. posted:

I got to introduce a customer looking for Pathfinder stuff to One Ring, FATE, and Mouse Guard today. He left with the FAE book in hand.

I'm doing my part.

Jokes on him that's free to download

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Also characters in apocalypse world are pretty loving powerful. If you're wondering what damage is fair to deal to a gunlugger, it's any. Those guys can survive a hit from a train, then destroy it for revenge.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The dance rules will be useful for playing legal dramas.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Then the goal of any right-thinking hero is to kill god, quality narrative fare.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
aw cool my brother gave me his printout copy of torchbearer he left in a drawer

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent bear rpg

There's honey heist, a one page rpg about bear crimes.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Countblanc posted:

dang that's a good avatar

https://firefightdex.tumblr.com/

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The Great Goon Chapter challenge should be a cool watch. 3 pages in and a guy already had a violent and reasonable reaction to getting Hippos

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I use it and haven't had any horror stories aside from a guy who didn't really get Masks. Just bail if you smell piss and you should be fine.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I don't think it'd work, it'd just take ages and make roleplaying harder.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
These aren't real castle walls, they're symbols of division, safety and power. It doesn't matter what they are in reality.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Wait, Cirno's playing 3e? Never would have guessed.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The raw concept of willy wonka dungeon must have carried pretty far

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

LeSquide posted:

Grindhouse exploitation Wonka is an untapped market?

you can't mix cool grindhouse sexploitation with an inflation fetish. Probably. Foot stuff is about as weird as it can get

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
We already have the good rape game, it's changeling: the lost.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

Please tell me he's been a major character in weird-rear end historical fiction novels I can go read.

In the Last Days of New Paris by China Mieville he goes to France during WW2, hangs out with the surrealist community and is inspired to create a surrealist bomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
No

• Locked thread