Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Roll20 supports hex grids actually. It's a bit finicky to fit a map to, but it works just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lightning Lord posted:

Jeff Grubb was involved too, the man who turned Ed Greenwood's insane disconnected notes about brothels into the original Forgotten Realms grey box, which even if you don't like FR you have to admit is a pretty solid product.

I think that's not giving Ed enough credit. Grubb's contributions were largely collation and editing. Both he and Karen Martin say in their notes in the DM's Sourcebook that things were pretty fully formed when TSR received Ed's packages. The drafts Ed sent in are shown in Elminster's Forgotten Realms, and they are coherent outlines and overviews, not disconnected notes focusing on brothels.

The problem with creating the Old Gray Box was that Ed had sent them so much, and paring was a lot of what Jeff Grubb had to do. Remember prior to the FR Campaign Set TSR had produced the World of Greyhawk products, which were very much written to size. Gygax was writing new content just to hit his page count. For the Realms they had so much more they were planning a newsletter of just gazetteer additions!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Basically everything in the FR1-16 line tracks back to Ed's original idea of the setting as presented to TSR. The exception is the Moonshaes, which were Douglas Niles' own product that was crowbarred into the setting by TSR. Now, you're right that some of it comes directly from Ed - FR1 Waterdeep and the North is basically his Waterdeep notes that didn't fit in the Campaign Set. Beyond that freelancers were given the relevant notes for their part and left to design a product, with varying success. Jennell Jaquays' great Savage Frontier was Ed's notes + reusing some work she had done for I think a Judges' Guild product + original design. Scott Bennie's Old Empires was pretty much his own invention, with TSR asking for an Egypt area. (Ed's notes on the region were pretty sparse, as he largely used it as an exotic place for NPCs to come from.)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Points of Light was pretty good, as was what little we got of the Sundered Empire/God War setting(it'll never happen, but I would pay good money for a dedicated setting book for it)

Points of Light is basically 90% of the Forgotten Realms anyway. And I think (obviously) that the 1e Realms stands up pretty well today. A couple OSR people have tried it and it works well.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

I'll be interested to see what people think of The Glass-Maker's Dragon once it's available for non-backers to purchase.

It'll be bad, just like your noxious attempts at self promotion at every turn.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Yes, barely veiled self-promotion is always relevant to the guy benefiting from it. People weren't discussing adventures in general, but specifically good ones. Rand wanders in to namedrop his pet project with the obvious intended influence being that his product will definitely match up to the others people are talking about and that ergo it is worthy of purchase. It's the same kind of self-puffery he's been doing for years, and it grates more than a little bit to see every discussion interrupted by his plug. Rand's no better than the Kaidan: a Japanese Ghost Story guy, he's just hanging onto the coat tails of a marginally better designer.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Elfgames posted:

also you have 13th age as a good game at all also you have no option for good tactical games.

13th Age is certainly better than Strike! which is also on the list. Both are in the tactical rulesy section anyway. Godbound should definitely be on there.

@drrockso: Saying "retarded" like that is bad. 2e was also not a great edition at all.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm not saying if it's good or bad, but that just seems to be the central premise.

Yeah that's totally fair. Gnome as a guy who's spent his game design career working on games to do what he likes about D&D but better, is a good person to put together such a list. He treats his own games pretty evenly there too I think.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Elfgames posted:

until you can actually come up with a complaint about strike! which is anything beyond "it doesn't have a narrative" kindly shut the gently caress up. 13th age has legitimate game design issues.

Edit goddamnit i don't even like stike, I hate generic games too but seriously come up with a substantial gameplay issue or something.

And Strike is a badly written game with systems that don't work and terrible organization. It's okay, people were taking pot shots at the games they don't like and Gnome should ignore all of us.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ominous Jazz posted:

I haven't played a dnd older than 3e but isn't it generally that the older games while being pretty rad for their time but now there are better ways of emulating that old dnd

Not really. Old D&D doesn't need to be emulated, it's good as is. Retroclones are nice for having updated formatting, layout, and editing, but the Rules Cyclopedia is probably the best single D&D product ever, for example.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

some loving LIAR posted:

Practically speaking, wouldn't replacing 1d20 with 2d10 or 5d4 sort of solve this problem? Or are the target numbers in D&D too high to make this practical?

There's a system for running 3.5 using 3d6 instead in the Unearthed Arcana book.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
You could use skill challenges :nyoron:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Elfgames posted:

Didn't you also have a problem with the tone of "7 ways to stop a fight?" forgive me if i take your complaint with a grain of salt

At least that has some style and verve and actually has something to say, unlike Strike!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Two kinds of snails have been named after FR goddesses: https://m.phys.org/news/2017-02-species-science-dungeons-dragons-character.html :3:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Flaggy posted:

We are looking at getting some "battlemats" for a RPG campaign, any recommendations? I see the chessex ones that can be written on and reusable, didn't know if there was something better out there.

I think those are still the go-to, although I don't know if there's a specific one that's better these days. For odder uses, check out https://www.gamingpaper.com they sell a bunch of pads of variants.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Is there still a general discord that TG posters use? I can't find a link anywhere.

Yep! Here's the one I set up: https://discord.gg/qFMBQ8a

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Covok posted:

Older goons who are used to having a 40+ hour job and trying to game, what is your advise to balance and budget time? I really want to run some more games, but I'm not in college anymore and my schedule is much, much tighter. What do you suggest for scheduling when all weekdays are effectively out and Saturday (until April 15th) is iffy at best? Like, I don't mean for you to give me a number as that is out-and-out unreasonable and arguably impossible. What I mean more is what you'd suggest from experience on how to budget time?

I very, very much prefer IRL and online w/ voice and I can never seem to keep devoted to a PBP for long. On the other hand, now I'm stuck behind a computer all day so maybe PBP is easier than when I used to be more out-and-about all day.

Check out Never Unprepared from Engine Press. It's a GM advice book about preparing for games, and I'd guess half of it is about the actual prep and half of it is about balancing prep with life. It's written by a trained project manager and it's probably on sale on DTRPG for GM's Day still.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
One of them doesn't involve Rand, so there you go.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

To the first bit: kind of weird to say on one hand how people at Paizo listen to concerns raised about problematic issues and then turn around and imply changing it would be a brutal fight anyway. To the second bit: aren't they working on a revised edition, or did that end up being something else?

Between some stuff she's said otherwise and the Kingdom Death experience, I get the same feeling Covok does: that Jessica honestly tries to fix the problematic issues in Pathfinder and Golarion but there's powerful people in the company who are resistant to changing some of it. (Kingdom Death pointed the finger directly at Erik Mona and Wes Schneider for their support.) Pathfinder has made changes, and James Jacobs has publicly said that they would do things differently if they were designing it now, but there is still a significant push against some changes I gather.

gradenko_2000 posted:

They're working on Spacefinder, but there's no word of a "Pathfinder 2.0". There was scuttlebutt at some point that Pathfinder Unchained was supposed to be like a pioneering work for whatever Pathfinder 2.0 would look like, but it's been a year since and everything they've released afterwards has been completely compatible with Core, so I think that's a no-go.

No one at Paizo has said anything about a Pathfinder 2e or whatever. You are wrong that everything since has been compatible with Core, however - most everything produced since is compatible with the unchained classes, and they flat out don't make stuff for the old summoner any more. There's also been new combat tricks and some other things.

Jimbozig is pretty much right about why there's a lot of resistance to a new edition in Pathfinder's fanbase. Lots of people don't want sweeping changes, although the bit by bit upgrades Pathfinder's been doing generally go over well. There's more appetite for a revised Core Rulebook with better organization than a whole new edition.

I'm not sure how concerned Paizo is about "owning" Pathfinder. Starfinder is still built on a d20 chassis and is open for third-party publishing, so they really aren't changing their direction there.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

The drow are still evil slavers, so yeah to a degree at least. Arivia could say if there's more races that fall into that stereotype.

This is an example of the kind of stuff Golarion had tons of earlier, but it's been downplayed since. The jungle-dwelling dark skinned Mwangi people of the southern content do indeed have their darkest people as slavers.

From page 17 of the Inner Sea World Guide (still the current main book on Golarion):

quote:

Least known of the Mwangi are the Bekyar, whose tribes inhabit the Desolation Cape of Southern Garund all the way up the coast to Sargava. The Bekyar are exceedingly tall -- many topping 7 feet -- with skin tones ranging from dark brown to coal black. They wear their wiry hair long but often straighten it into elaborate coifs. This group consists largely of slavers who prey upon their fellow Mwangi and just about anyone else they can catch.

Same page calls them barbarians and says they often worship demon lords. Yeah.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
By downplaying it, I mean Paizo just hasn't focused on the Bekyar since and is kind of just ignoring them (in comparison to their not-Arabic region, which Jessica Price just wrote a supplement for). I also checked the updated book on the Mwangi/Bekyar (Inner Sea Races) and it does flesh the Bekyar out a bit more, but doesn't do anything to make them less stereotypical, it just adds qualifiers. Now they're isolationists, conquerors as well as slavers, and they practice juju as well as outright demon worship. So yeah, they are the straight up racist stereotypes from pulps that both Halloween Jack and Jessica Price point out as a bad thing. Not surprising seeing how pulp-inspired Golarion is, just disappointing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
LotR is the only geek thing more boring than anime. Both just suck terribly. Hope this helps.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Simian_Prime posted:

One FR concept I did like was the Time of Troubles and the idea of the gods getting kicked down to the mortal plane with a fraction of their power for a divine Battle Royale. The concept was underutilized, though; I'd like to make a Godbound campaign where each PC is an Avatar during the Troubles and give them a chance to tear down the FR setting from the ground up and rebuild it to their whims.

Libertad did a writeup of just that on his blog. It's a great way to redeem the ToT I think.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Simian_Prime posted:

That sounds cool. Do you have a link? My Google search turned up nothing.

Here you go: http://quasarknight.blogspot.ca/2016/07/weavebound-godbound-hack-for-forgotten.html

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

You posted the wrong image

Never thought I'd end up on the Authoritarian Right, but for T-Swift…

Who are the two women on the left?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

I'm pretty sure Elminster made out with a lich once.

At least two that we know of: Lady Saharel and the Srinshee.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

My sincere thanks for being the guy who knows which liches Elminster made out with

I'm not a guy, but you're welcome anyway.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

So, it looks like I'll be playing a session of some system called "the void?" A quick Google search suggests that it's kinda like Cthulhu tech meets Eclipse Phase. Anyone familiar with the details? I'm reeeeeeealy hopeful that its way more Eclipse Phase than Cthulhu tech, as I've read the F&Fs of Cthulhu tech and am not a fan of all the dumb gross stuff in it.

Considering it's published by the same people as CthulhuTech, don't be hopeful.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sonic H posted:

Thanks chaps/chapesses! I'll mosey on over....

Don't forget non-binary people exist!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Pathfinder, it has samurai and ninjas and the weapons and stuff. It's perfect.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Semi-serious answer, kill the mind flayer because they eat human brains, gently caress the beholder because I'm curious how that would even work, and marry the red dragon because fire-breathing spouse with shapeshifting, spell-casting ability, and mad treasure.

If I remember correctly beholders have cloacas and give live birth.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

he runs (or ran?) a largely unsuccessful MRA-heavy men's advice and culture site alongside escapist, and straight up just hired gamergate people to write for that site and escapist

One of his hires was the RPGPundit, even. And Mearls has been friends with all of them the whole time.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rockopolis posted:

So, what are some really Rogue-Like RPGs? Games that have high randomness and permadeath? Playing Traveler and rolling for all or most of the planets and encounters? Having to create fresh characters when the old ones bite it?

DCC. Stars Without Numbers. A lot of OSR stuff, basically. Which makes sense since OD&D directly inspired rogue.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I appreciate and am thankful for Alpha Complex, Friend Computer!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Here's the perfect system for running Planescape: 2e AD&D.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm going to be running Paranoia in the week - what's a good module for a new group? Or can I just give them a heist and a bunch of conflicting secret objectives and let them drive the plot themselves?

You can run whatever. You need a plot just to act as the setup. I recommend something inside Alpha Complex just to get them used to the insanity. Secret algae chip smugglers giving REDs GREEN flavours or whatever. I ran Mr. Bubbles out of the back of the XP rulebook last time I introduced a group to the game and it went fine.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kellsterik posted:

Are there any good adventures for any system, or detailed or evocative maps, that center around a Gothic or Victorian-style mansion? I'm looking for material that I can harvest for a World of Darkness haunted house adventure. Even just a list of interesting images and rooms/locations (music room, larder, garden hermit shed, secret torture chamber...) would be good.

Tegel Manor is a classic "big haunted mansion."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Barudak posted:

Bigby's House Subcomittee on Un-Neverwinter Activties.

Un-Neverwintan, technically. :goonsay:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Covok posted:

Man, regretting doing that Alternate Morality system for FFG Star Wars. Someone was asking for it on the official forums so I drafted up a barebones one that'd reward balance, which is what he was asking for. Still getting messages from people about how "that's not how the force works" and etc, etc. Not that they're without merit on some points (they were right it was a mechanically unbalanced system, ironically), but the daily essays on how the force works were a "fun" consolation price.

Just link the new TLJ trailer to them. LUKE SAYS THE JEDI NEED TO END. Watch them sputter in a nerd frenzy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Impermanent posted:

would Torchbearer run well with 2 PCs? Got a small gaming group and want to play it.

Try Scarlet Heroes instead. Same kind of play, designed for solo or very small groups.

• Locked thread