Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
If you spend money on Cards Against Humanity and the Oatmeal card game you need to be killed by getting hammered in the back of the skull with a lead-tipped club and thrown in a mass grave.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Countblanc posted:

i admire people who buy those games. it takes real courage to openly admit that you don't want to do things that let you, personally, be funny or clever, but instead want to do things where you simply let the game make the jokes for you.

The one where you add caption cards to picture cards to make memes is the loving worst. I'll find whoever did that and inject gasoline in his veins.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Countblanc posted:

I'm not even talking about the material on the cards, which speaks for itself. I mean, mechanically, they aren't even games. They're Mad-Libs with a trendier name. There's plenty of ways to make games about jokes and humor have interesting (and simple) mechanics, and all the "play a card with words on it" games fail at that. At least Codenames is mainstream enough to show up at regular department stores, maybe someone accidentally bought that for their kids last month and got them a good game by mistake.

Someone could release a "play a card with words on it" game that aligned perfectly with my political beliefs and hobbies and it'd still be poo poo, because it's a "play a card with words on it" game.

TG Design Challenge January 2017: Make a game with fun mechanics revolving on saying slurs.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

FastestGunAlive posted:

Never played CAH and have no desire to but it is amazing to see y'all get so worked up about it every time it's mentioned. Great article by Ettin though; gonna save that link

It's poo poo for sriracha narwhal bacon normies.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Nuns with Guns posted:

isn't that a sriracha bottle in your avatar?

It needs some timbs.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Waffleman_ posted:

You roll the squares what got numbers on 'em.

It's a cube, Waffleman.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I think the best design for a simple fighter guy was the slayer from 4e essentials.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Elfgames posted:

the slayer could have used just a couple more tricks imo. a full 4e class is too much and a lot of 4e progression is "replace this thing with thing+1". only bad guys also get +1 so it's necessary but pointless

It's the Saitama build in that you only do melee basic attacks but each of them has +100 to hit and deals a hundred trillion damage

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Countblanc posted:

Yeah there's definitely a joy in saying "drat I just did 185 damage with Blade Cascade, good poo poo" even if that's 25% of a monster's life bar and your dailies were still doing 25% of a life bar 10 levels ago.

It's the same exhilarating feeling Ullillilia has when he plays JRPGs.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I forgot the D&D movie starts with the narrator straight up saying Mages rule the world and people who can't do magic are treated as peasant scum

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

from what Monster Manual is this Ivan Ooze-looking motherfucker from

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Serf posted:

god the D&D movie ruled

It's an incredibly entertaining movie and emulates well the feeling of playing it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Scary Movie 1 and 2 were excellent movies

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
When asked why he did this film, Jeremy Irons replied, "Are you kidding? I'd just bought a castle, I had to pay for it somehow!"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
It definitely had the first depiction of a black woman with fake elf ears on TV before T'Pol from Enterprise

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Covok posted:

Am I alone in feeling all anime trpgs are disappointing?

Yes.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

remusclaw posted:

people have argued to me that Miyazaki movies aren't really anime because they are good,

I have an infinite amount of contempt for this kind of person and it's a mindset that's incredibly common on SA.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Brother Entropy posted:

sorry friend you just have to accept that All Anime Is Bad except anything toonami aired when i was 12 and gurren lagann

edit: jojo's too, goons are both allowed to like and encouraged to never shut the gently caress up about jojo's

*after my vision goes completely blood red for a while* Haha yeah that's a good impression.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Serf posted:

It's also probably the best-designed game ever made, even if I have no interest in the subject matter.

That's a big claim.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Lol badass a hentai artist I follow on Patreon is doing art for Kingdom Death

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The Tri-Stat area

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Ferrinus posted:

Hey buddy, how about you try role playing, not roll playing? If your character's nearly impossible to hit by, and capable of trivially one-shotting, hordes of basic goblins or kobolds or soldiers or journeyman wizards, that makes a dramatic difference to their place in the story and the way they interact with NPCs even if no one ever, ever rolls initiative. Yeah, it'd be really unlikely for a bunch of assassins or soldiers or whatever to try their luck against some level 20 characters, and except for maybe one time for funsies you'd likely not bother rolling it out at all, but that means your party of adventurers can stomp around like Godzillas where they used to need to creep softly.

"A lion uses all of its strength to defeat a rabbit" - Kiryuuin Satsuki

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Being a dragon must be badass

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Nuns with Guns posted:

I had no idea Japanese people were mormons...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harem_(genre)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I hope you are saying GURPS is the good one Eff.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Someone run a Fairy Tail game where I marry Erza Scarlet

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

rumble in the bunghole posted:

It wouldn't work for a few reasons.

1. No room for Usopps or Tony Tony Choppers, or more goofy stuff

Chopper is obviously a reverse Lunar and Usopp definitely has Solar-level archery at this point.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Elfgames posted:

there's nothing that special about anime that it requires special rules here's how to make a game anime

1.) find a genre of game that matches to the genre of anime that you want to play.

2.) play that game

3.) play your characters as if they were in an anime, Over the top emotions calling out attack names and so on.

Yeah it's absolutely a matter of tone. I'm in a game that's pretty much Persona 4 the tabletop rpg and it uses D&D 4E as the system with only a few minor homebrew.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

drrockso20 posted:

Plenty, WW2 is one of the more popular settings around

Also on the topic of Anime stuff, I really want a game that can properly emulate Digimon, as most existing "Mon" RPG systems or supplements focus on Pokemon style evolving if they include it at all

That's my PTU hack but it's taking a while to fully finish.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Haha cool. On the subject of anime and WW2 (sort of) TRPGs i found out there's a Girls und Panzer RPG with the shinobigami system.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Someone GM it for me so I can pass an opinion

e: And link me the TG discord

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 11, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
If a /pol/ prank can backfire and end in a coup against the president of US in its first month, 2017 is the year where Irony Poisoning will depopulate Earth

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Regarding WW2 they are actually pretty decent dude. Like the Holocaust Wraith book was as tasteful as a rpg setting book about the Holocaust can possibly be

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The Empire had the coolest weapons and clothes much like Nazi Germant

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

unseenlibrarian posted:

More evidence for my theory that everyone who says "Superman is perfect and boring" has never read or seen anything with Superman actually in it.

In my case it's because I refuse to look at capeshit at all :dukedog:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Countblanc posted:

> wanting to avoid capes but also wanting to read MHA

It and Keyman are excepions.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I stopped playing that wretched game after Cata's postgame broke my mind

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

ProfessorCirno posted:

The true terror of the stereotypical cyberpunk setting is how fast and how many people would simply accept its dystopia.

BOY I GOT NEWS FOR YOU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
If you download a Mass Effect D20 RPG you deserve what you get.

• Locked thread