Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

I plan on running Shadow of the Demon lord while continuing my Strike! game. I've never run two games at once before, but SotDL has hooked me hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

CAH sucks. It somehow manages to be an even worse version of Apples to Apples. Plus the people who make it are morons.

Serf
May 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think the people who make it know exactly who they're fleecing and trolling

They absolutely do. That just makes them lovely morons.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I prefer systems with smaller numbers on account of being bad at math

Serf
May 5, 2011

god the D&D movie ruled

Serf
May 5, 2011

Marlon Wayans is a national treasure

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

The System Mastery episode about the D&D movie made it sound unbearable.

It's got Jeremy Irons chewing the scenery, Marlon Wayans as a puckish rogue, and terrible, terrible CGI. It is a great movie.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Marlon Wayans' character is named Snails. And for as bad as D&D is with minority representation two of the main cast are black.

Serf
May 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm assuming your "wonderful" is being said sarcastically, because good god I can't imagine how you might consider that a good thing.

I see you're new around these parts.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Elfgames posted:

except you don't do that in 4e because if you're more than a few levels over the enemy then they can't hit you and you're either spending 5-10 minutes on a pointless fight you can't lose or you use the level x city guards and you're back to doing 25% damage.

and maybe i'm weird but "bigger numbers" isn't a huge draw to me if it doesn't matter, i'd much prefer smaller more meaningful numbers

Yeah, either all fights should be around your level or if they are so far below you that you could one-shot them you might as well forgo combat and resolve without rolling, since the outcome has already been decided.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Huckabee Sting posted:

When I DM Pathfinder I like to use enemies the players had fought before, but where difficult at the time, and use those enemies as fodder for a bigger bad guy/s.

I think it can be fun to see that your character has increased in power, and the carthartic release from destroying enemies you once had trouble with. Lastly, the world feels more alive by giving the illusion that there are more/less powerful creatures out there and everything isn't always exactly hard enough for your group.

When I do this, I make those old creatures into mook/minions what have you. One hit and they go down, but they will still put a hurting on you if they gang up. But as I've run more games, I find that controlling so many creatures can really bog things down, and so unless it is a special moment like a big boss fight where they would be present, I mostly let the players roll to deal with non-threatening enemies or just ignore them entirely.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Covok posted:

Am I alone in feeling all anime trpgs are is disappointing?

no

Serf
May 5, 2011

Covok posted:

It literally started life as a Twilight joke game before it was developed to be something serious.

It's also probably the best-designed game ever made, even if I have no interest in the subject matter.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

Hey buddy, how about you try role playing, not roll playing? If your character's nearly impossible to hit by, and capable of trivially one-shotting, hordes of basic goblins or kobolds or soldiers or journeyman wizards, that makes a dramatic difference to their place in the story and the way they interact with NPCs even if no one ever, ever rolls initiative. Yeah, it'd be really unlikely for a bunch of assassins or soldiers or whatever to try their luck against some level 20 characters, and except for maybe one time for funsies you'd likely not bother rolling it out at all, but that means your party of adventurers can stomp around like Godzillas where they used to need to creep softly.

Sir this is a Mcdonalds drive thru

Serf
May 5, 2011

Covok posted:

Tone can, however, be reinforced through the rules itself and that can be important to the experience.

So then find a game that has the tone you want for the genre you'd like to emulate and use that.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Oh man they're doing a Freeport book for Shadow of the Demon Lord. Rad.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Ooh, that's going to be a really good fit. Although it'll probably be a little more lighthearted than normal SotDL.

Have you read Forbidden Rules yet? Endurance and Fortune Points can be used to turn SotDL into an awesome hybrid of D&D 4E and FFG Star Wars. Perfect fit for Freeport I think.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Oh definitely. I just mean the rules are there to support a different tone like that of Freeport. With some hacking I think SotDL could be used to run most D&D settings.

Serf
May 5, 2011

My next president is a pissloving Russian stooge. It would be funny if it wasn't also horrifying

Serf
May 5, 2011

This is a fun and productive line of discussion we've found.

And the Empire is America

Serf
May 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Boy do I feel silly for guffawing at how ham-handedly Revenge of the Sith handled a transition over to fascism. Turns out it's going to be even easier than that!

Lucas was just a decade too early. But like for real one of the villains is named loving Nute Gunray and their flagship is the Invisible Hand.

Serf
May 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

The big Trade Federation ship that Anakin blew up in Ep 1 was a Lucrehulk-class Battleship

Unsubtle but very necessary.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I'm digging through Shadow of the Demon Lord and theres a lot of cool stuff but so far I've noticed:

-the author seems to have a scat fetish
-seriously poo poo is everywhere
-playing with poo poo
-asslicking
-artwork of a cigar smoking wizard in jorts riding a bubble through space

He really leans hard into the "Revulsion" style of horror apparently.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I'm on a bit of a SotDL kick at the moment, and was wondering if anyone could tell me if the Forbidden Rules book was good//what the "guidelines for running abstract combats" entails and whether that would be a good thing for PbP games.

I love Forbidden Rules. There are lots of variant things that make healing easier/harder, simplify weapons and armor, expand the social conflict system into full blown social combat, give you random stats at character generation, bring in skills and power points. etc. It is a fantastic book for hacking SotDL.

Abstract Combat is very clearly based on Fate's system, with zones replacing terrain, abstracting out ranged attacks to either the zone you're in, an adjacent zone, or any zone. Free attacks are handled well, only triggering when you leave a zone without using a retreat action, and only from 1d3 creatures. AoE spells and abilities are changed to mimic the ranged attacks system. I think you could use it for PBP pretty easily, sacrificing crunchiness for speed and ease of use. The core book says things can be played out theater of the mind style, but when everything is measured in yards and has precise ranges, that doesn't seem true. Forbidden Rules delivers a system that can accomplish that.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Like on the one hand I love The Warriors and a game where you play a goofy New York street gang fighting other bizarre 70s New York street gangs for survival sounds pretty cool. But at the same time there's just no way to make it work without it being totally ignorant.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

I think that this works fine if you don't set it in 1970s New York but, at the very least, in a cyberpunk or Escape from New York setting at something of a remove, so that you're not playing caricatures of actual downtrodden urban poor people. Like, no one is going to call you racist for playing Necromunda.

You don't have to play street gangs squabbling with each other, either, but with the heavily-armed vigilantes invading your neighbourhood. SERF, YOU ARE ORDERED TO LEAVE THE BRONX. A SOLAR-POWERED PRE-FURNISHED HOME AWAITS YOU IN NEW MEXICO.

You're not wrong, but no matter how far you divorce something like that from reality the parallels will still exist.

Serf
May 5, 2011

SotDL is rad because the rules system is relatively lightweight and the character customization is really cool and in-depth. The tight structure that Schwalb proposes for a campaign doesn't really appeal to me, but it can help people avoid neverending campaigns. But what really draws me in is that is nails the tone it wants to convey, which is basically Dark Souls but more than just one person. I normally wouldn't touch most d20 stuff these days, but this game has seriously impressed me.

Serf
May 5, 2011

haha what

White Wolf bringing Werewolf the Apocalypse to PC

Serf
May 5, 2011

That game ruled though.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I wasn't gonna play overwatch until I discovered they had pandered to my two strongest fetishes: swedish cyberdads and cowboys

Serf
May 5, 2011

Truly the robot who transforms into a phallus on wheels was designed just for me.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Harrow posted:

What fetish does Zenyatta pander to? I really want to meet the person who sees a pseudo-zen robo-monk and goes "this is my fetish"

:whatup:

Serf
May 5, 2011

It's like those psychologists back in the like 60s or whatever who were trying to compile a list of all the fetishes. They showed it to a comrade who said "my fetish is everything not on the list". Apparently they gave up after that.

Serf
May 5, 2011

lmao if you haven't been in one long meltdown since November 8th

Serf
May 5, 2011

Haha, of course Bedlamdan comes slinking back to defend a poster who threatens to rape people.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

Not especially, I mostly came slinking back to read about Beast: the Primordial.

If a poster did anything truly heinous, I'm sure our mods and/or admins would have permabanned them. They never make mistakes, or gently caress up royally.

:cawg:

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yawgmoth posted:

Evangelion is better described as "what if a guy tried to write a kaiju-of-the-week show using his high school psychology course as the basis for all the characters, and the plot twist is that he got a D in the class?"

The soundtrack is pretty amazing but that's the best thing I can say about it.

Even as someone who likes very little in the way of anime I gotta disagree with this one.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yawgmoth posted:

I like a good many anime series but NGE is basically the D&D of anime. It's a pile of garbage that's been sitting in a particularly stagnant and sun-baked area but everyone gets recommended it because it was popular.

I dunno. It was pretty great. The new movies are even better.

Serf
May 5, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

I dunno, I think that one guy in Games who hates Fallout New Vegas because he went north from Goodsprings despite numerous NPCs telling him not to do it is worse.

Ah yes, Misterbibs, a man who famously could not pass Proving Grounds Silver in WoW and thinks Fury Road is a bad movie. Truly a posting luminary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I think you mean Log Horizon. :ssh:

I liked this one!

Sword Art was bad though.

• Locked thread