Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

*gazes out upon the blasted, cracked wasteland and the smog-choked skies. the shrieking and wailing of the damned is muffled by the thick haze of congealed despair and the only feature upon the desolate landscape is a titanic gold monument that simply reads: 2017*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

FWIW C-SPAM is helping me deal with 2017.

You're nice person, Serf, and I hope your nihilism burns bright and vengeful always.

The only thing that sustains me now is spite.

Also whatup C-SPAM life-support buddy :hfive:

Serf
May 5, 2011

The default Pathfinder setting is so large and zany that you could do a dozen Obsidian-style CRPGs set there and rake in the Kickstarter cash from RPG nerds the world over. Like the idea sells itself. Hell, I might even be into it just based on how strong the resurgent isometric RPG games so far have been, even if I don't like PF.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I guess the difference is that Schilling at least put out one kickass game before folding.

Evil Mastermind posted:

fake edit: Holy gently caress Schilling is planning on running for Senate in Massachusetts next year are you loving kidding me?

Watch him unseat Warren.

Serf
May 5, 2011

It would be the most 2016+ outcome, which means it will probably come to pass.

Serf
May 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

So which politician has come out to say that they play RPGs?

Florida GOP Candidate Moonlights as Vampire Role-Player "Chazz Darling

of course he would be from Florida :allears:

Serf
May 5, 2011

I mean the only answer is Dungeons and Dragons. No one else can even compete.

5 Super Bowl wins = 5 editions

Serf
May 5, 2011

I wonder if this was made before or after he was punched in the side of the head and ran off crying

Serf
May 5, 2011

I think 5e is a garbage game designed by garbage people, which is why I don't click on the thread.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I have completely replaced Skype with Discord. Though that's not saying much.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Cassa posted:

Woah folks, white wolf has said they investigated, and that Zak is innocent.

haha wow gently caress white wolf

Serf
May 5, 2011

Hell, just googling for ewoks when I started running my Star Wars game turned up a ton of frankly questionable cosplay.

I also learned that there is a dearth of good ewok art.

Serf
May 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Paging Serf, Serf please pick up the white courtesy phone.

we are all going to die :byodood:

Serf
May 5, 2011

In my current Strike game the PCs did a bad thing and caught the attention of some time gods that started summoning alternate universe versions of the PCs to fight them. I just statted them out as stooges, and after the fight went on longer than I anticipated and I ran out of standard alt-universe tropes the players started describing what each new version looked like. Can confirm that is way more fun for them.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yesterday I heard about a guy running an FFG Star Wars game for 12 people. Holy poo poo.

Serf
May 5, 2011

some loving LIAR posted:

Is that in Madison, WI? One of my friends runs an FFG SW game there that has about that many people. I think it may have more, actually. He's got assistant GMs, the way I understand it.

Nah, it's up in Athens, GA. Apparently they start when 4 players show up and just bring in the rest of the characters as the players drift in. No assistant GMs or anything, just madness. He also runs Werewolf for the same group apparently.

I had a tough time keeping up with just 6 people. Twelve would be impossible.

Serf
May 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

That got me thinking:

1. Are there any games that allow or expect you to play more than one character at a time?

2. Has anyone ever tried to deliberately play a game where a player controlled more than one character at a time, even for a game that didn't specifically support it?

I haven't played them, but doesn't DCC expect you to come up with a couple of initial characters that will get whittled down to probably just one by the end of the first adventure? And Ars Magica has you play as more than one character iirc but I'm not sure you play as them concurrently.

Serf
May 5, 2011

some loving LIAR posted:

I only ran a DCC funnel game once but I had all of the characters go concurrently. It didn't hurt too much because part of the recommended funnel design is "set encounter difficulty to kill 50% of the group each time", so you get down to manageable numbers quickly.

Yeah this is how it was done in the APs I listened to. Seems to make more sense and is more fun that way.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Drone posted:

The FFG Star Wars books are also Grade A Core Rulebook material, if you're looking for something to look through. They are big and heavy with good paper stock and excellent artwork :swoon:

Seconding this. I don't like the actual game itself, but the book is a fantastic product.

I'm about halfway through the final Blades in the Dark release, but from what I've seen so far I like it. At first I was resistant to how rigidly-defined the different phases of the session are and the combat took a little while to click with me, but once it did I can see myself running it. No matter what happens I am totally gonna steal the clock mechanic for every game I run from now on.

I have no experience with 7th Sea, but I'm sure there are plenty of people here who do.

Serf
May 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

More like Nite Crew amirite

lmao

Serf
May 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Forbidden Rules splatbook (which is basically Unearthed Arcana for SOTDL) does have a 3d6 Critical Hit chart, with the 18 result being "The target takes damage equal to its health"

In an interesting bit of design, the core rules don't even recognize "critical hits" or "critical/automatic success" at all. The word "critical" never even appears in the book.

This was one thing that threw me off at first about the system because d20 games have ingrained the critical hit mechanic in my mind. There are some abilities that trigger on a 20+ and if you exceed the target number by 5, but those are spread out and generally just provide an additional effect and not damage. I'm not sure if I like it, because it does take away one of the better things in D&D, which is the sense of excitement you get when you roll a 20.

(I need to get back to my SotDL F&F, but between job hunting, running 2 games and life in general being massively hosed it's hard to find the time to write)

Serf
May 5, 2011

4E Spelljammer would've ruled. Then again, anything 4E would've ruled.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Also the Points of Light "setting" ruled in the sense that you could do whatever you wanted with it. Beyond a few defined areas the whole thing was open to modification. You could easily run a Nentir Vale starting adventure and expand into whatever homebrew nonsense you wanted. I loved that about it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I've been reading through some Shadow of the Demon Lord adventures for starting characters, and they each seem pretty good. You've got murder mysteries, jailbreaks and village defenses covered. They have a scene structure that flows pretty well, with methods for leading the PCs from one event to the next, and suggestions for what might be happening elsewhere as a consequence of them skipping scenes.

I've never run a written adventure in my life, but I would like to start a thread to run people through a couple of these as one-shots both because I want to run the system and because I'd like to get people interested in the game.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I ran a Star Wars campaign in Strike that lasted for almost a year, and I'm currently running my own setting in Strike as another game. The system rules and definitely fills the tactical combat RPG gap left behind by D&D 4E.

Serf
May 5, 2011

The first time I GMed D&D 4e with a bunch of people who had never played the first session turned into a detective story that ended in a sweet boss fight against a shotgun-wielding goblin mad scientist. Things kinda continued in that vein for a while after that. I think we only did proper dungeon-crawling like once or twice.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Honestly you don't need to dungeon crawl in 4e, but if you're going to properly use all the mechanics in the tool box then you still need to deplete the character's resources somehow. Dungeon crawls are just the easiest way but you could up the rate of wilderness encounters, make cities dangerous by adding roving gangs of challenging thugs, or let players blow dailies to get skill bonuses or similar.

How you do it doesn't matter, but you want them to actually think about how they expend their resources.

When I'm running games for my friends, my only interest is in making sure everyone has a good time, so the focus is mostly on making dumb jokes and having ridiculous things happen. The game is just the medium by which all of that happens, and everything in it is secondary to that goal. When I play with online people I do actually try to use "all the mechanics in the tool box" and play the game as intended.

Now that isn't to say my players weren't using up their resources constantly. They were just as likely to try and talk their way past a bunch of howling sahaugin as they were to go full on gently caress the police and attack people who were just mildly impeding them. I rarely had to make them expend anything, they would just blow their poo poo at any moment because it would be the most fun option at the moment. Online groups aren't the same way, at least not at first.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

I'm actually working on an adventure slash campaign thing with multiple branching paths based on player actions and the further I get into it the harder it's getting to make both meaningful choices and have any kind of plot whatsoever. Now I see why Bioware just half asses it in their mass effect games.

This is why I just make poo poo up on the fly pretty much all the time. I can't even imagine the work it would take to figure it all out beforehand.

Serf
May 5, 2011

poo poo's rough out here, so I reckon that when it comes to criticizing your own employer you've gotta be really careful about what you say. That's just survival.

Serf
May 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

My counter-argument would be that you probably shouldn't speak out on a topic that you know your own employer is also involved in, because you either omit or downplay your employer's own faults, which makes you look disingenuous, or you risk your employment by badmouthing your employer.

Yeah, that's a given.

Serf
May 5, 2011

hypocrisy is dead anyways. might as well enjoy it

Serf
May 5, 2011

Plutonis posted:

I'm from a country that despite being third-world has a decent education system so nah.

its good to know that people are being failed by "decent" education systems regardless of nationality

Serf
May 5, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

16 words for a signature is a bit too long, man. If you cut it down by two you'd at least have a meme.

:allears: never change effectronica

Serf
May 5, 2011

if your goal is to include slavers as irredeemable villains who must be murdered relentlessly, then I say go wild

Serf
May 5, 2011

like look, the gm here introduces the concept of slavery with a clear intent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFOvbpu6X4U

to make the players mad. it gets an instantaneous, visceral reaction just like it was intended to. it can be considered a cheap tactic to get players involved in the story, but it is effective

Serf
May 5, 2011

mind flayers are mini cthulhus. or i guess they would be star-spawn

Serf
May 5, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

I don't like elves. :colbert:

elves definitely make no sense

Serf
May 5, 2011

Why are we not discussing dwarves, The Best Species?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

What is there to say about dwarves? They're like three jobs, the species. They have a role and they fit into it well, but in a way you can easily tell stories about them because they're still relatable. None of this immortal half-spirit crap or post-scarcity perfect human crap you get with elves.

Dwarves like fighting, digging, and making stuff. They fill the time in between with ale and sometimes being stodgy codgers. There's nothing you need to fix about them unless for some reason you want them to have more nuance. Dwarven communities are basically less rambunctious mining towns that are actually built into the mountain.

Now that would be a fun take, get rid of the dwarven reserve and just go full mining town with dwarven gambling and prostitutes alongside the ale halls.

Hence why they are The Best.

In terms of interesting species, I've always had a soft spot for the "monstrous" ones. Orcs, goblins, kobolds, bugbears etc. I always disliked how they were presented as acceptable targets for players to just kill without thinking. I remember reading the 3.0 Monster Manual in middle school and finding it odd that they given less intelligence and were always some flavor of evil. I guess the latter is more an issue with the whole alignment system, which is a dumb thing in general but even dumber to apply to a sapient species. Maybe it's just the contrarian in me, but I always thought that the "monstrous" species got a bad rap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

I think the Law-Chaos thing is also pretty dumb when applied to an entire species. If humans are anything to go by, there's no simple one-size-fits-all label that can apply to our morality/philosophy. And in terms of where a species falls on the alignment spectrum, the monstrous species are usually gonna be on the negative side.

One thing I thought about doing is making alignment into an in-universe label, where documents written by people in the world identify other species as being "chaotic evil" or "lawful neutral" as a way of exposing their own biases.

• Locked thread