Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
the slayer could have used just a couple more tricks imo. a full 4e class is too much and a lot of 4e progression is "replace this thing with thing+1". only bad guys also get +1 so it's necessary but pointless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ferrinus posted:

Also if you can now do 25% of a level 20 monster's health bar you can instantly do 100% of a level 5 or 10 or whatever monster's health bar and that matters a lot when level 10 monsters are things like "elite city guard".

except you don't do that in 4e because if you're more than a few levels over the enemy then they can't hit you and you're either spending 5-10 minutes on a pointless fight you can't lose or you use the level x city guards and you're back to doing 25% damage.

and maybe i'm weird but "bigger numbers" isn't a huge draw to me if it doesn't matter, i'd much prefer smaller more meaningful numbers

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
so the real question is "How do i get myself, my players and my scenario's to be anime?"

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Covok posted:

It literally started life as a Twilight joke game before it was developed to be something serious.

Twilight is anime as gently caress, two really handsome dudes deeply in love with a bland everyday girl also they're a werewolf and a vampire.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ferrinus posted:

Hey buddy, how about you try role playing, not roll playing? If your character's nearly impossible to hit by, and capable of trivially one-shotting, hordes of basic goblins or kobolds or soldiers or journeyman wizards, that makes a dramatic difference to their place in the story and the way they interact with NPCs even if no one ever, ever rolls initiative. Yeah, it'd be really unlikely for a bunch of assassins or soldiers or whatever to try their luck against some level 20 characters, and except for maybe one time for funsies you'd likely not bother rolling it out at all, but that means your party of adventurers can stomp around like Godzillas where they used to need to creep softly.

Plutonis posted:

*after my vision goes completely blood red for a while* Haha yeah that's a good impression.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Well, I mean, I think there really is a kind of nexus of "wow, this is so anime" that you could pin down to some level of definiteness.

It's kind of a mishmash of superheroes, coming-of-age stories, really flashy combat, and an exponential power scale. Basically rather than trying to emulate "Japanese animation" you're looking for a system that can model Sailor Moon, Naruto, Trigun, and maybe Revolutionary Girl Utena (if you feel ambitious) in a relatively unified manner.

You gotta lean into it, though, if there isn't deep mechanical support / incentives for yelling power names, struggling with your literal inner demons, and punching harder the more friendship you have, you might as well just use a generic system.

that's still too many things to cram together to be good unless the actual point is to then look at the inherent friction between those elements.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's less about cramming together and more about figuring out the commonalities and building something out of that. The series I used as examples have radically different settings for example but setting isn't the important part to begin with; teenager problems blown up to cosmic proportions is. The guy who pegged Monsterhearts as an anime game was on the right track for the wrong reasons.

monsterhearts is actually a fine anime game but even beyond settings each of those series has a tone and you'd do yourself a disservice by using the same game to emulate them. Also i think all generic systems are mostly bad anyway . also i think that any system can be made anime with the right mindset

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Brainiac Five posted:

2/3 of those are incredibly bad.

I don't think Balkanizing games based on tone is quite the right way to go about design.

maybe i'm not using the right words but i mean it in the same way you wouldn't use D&D to play horror or romance.

and yes the anime's mentioned do have some similar themes but they're so dissonant cramming them together is really weird to me.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Brainiac Five posted:

That's more genre and you could do either in D&D, they'd just be somewhat disengaged from the mechanics because D&D lacks the mechanical base to do introspection and interpersonal interaction well.

If you're not engaging with the mechanics then you're not playing the game

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Brainiac Five posted:

This just leads us to demanding people roll for every task, since someone just automatically getting on a horse to ride it is not playing the game, but it becomes part of the game if you have to roll for it, even if you would automatically succeed by the rules. This is what I meant by gamifying everything- in order to make discussions about tactics or plans part of the game, you have to be rolling or have elaborate speaking rules, else it's just a distraction from the game which ought to be eliminated as a waste of time.

if there are rules/benefits for riding a horse then choosing to get on one is engaging with the mechanics. also who said that everything has to be 100% gameplay? i'm just saying if you're going to play a game and then not use it's mechanics then you aren't playing the game. If you're going to make D&D characters and then freeform rp about romance there's really no need to create D&D characters.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
it's not extraneous if it's a necessary part of gameplay

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Brainiac Five posted:

But you are arguing that it isn't gameplay! gently caress! Do you even think about these things before you type them?

no you're just not understanding, i said

Elfgames posted:

If you're not engaging with the mechanics then you're not playing the game

therefore since creating a motivation is engaging with the mechanics in burning wheel it is part of gameplay

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Flavivirus posted:

So you can't really point at a group and say they're playing the game wrong, unless there's discord within the group; instead, the most you can do is point out where they've diverged from the basic game.

Actually, you underestimate my power sir.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
there's nothing that special about anime that it requires special rules here's how to make a game anime

1.) find a genre of game that matches to the genre of anime that you want to play.

2.) play that game

3.) play your characters as if they were in an anime, Over the top emotions calling out attack names and so on.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Covok posted:

Tone can, however, be reinforced through the rules itself and that can be important to the experience.

sure but anime doesn't have a specific tone either so that matches to step 1

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

AlphaDog posted:

Friendship Effort: Victory Game already sounds like an anime.

it's name would be based on the shounen jump motto

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
i mean i don't think a rules light story game is exactly good for replicating the feel of mass effect.

but you should never ever ever trust a d20 fan game

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

TheSoundNinja posted:

Speaking of which, I'm almost done preparing for the February TradGames Design Contest. The sign-ups will begin the week before February actually starts, since everyone will be randomly assigned a genre of Anime, with those being announced on the first of the month. I even have a contest modifier that I'll draw for everyone: one aspect that, regardless of genre you draw you'll have to design for.

I hope you have included popular new genres like "stuck in a vr mmo"

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
is it still written by wick?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Neopie posted:

It is but he seems to have actually learned a few lessons.

still gonna pass

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
brought to you by the people who made gurps bunnies and burrows lmao

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
so someone in the contest got "shounen" as their genre, a category ranging from dragonball to death note

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
i watched every awful bit of it but i can only remember the vauge outline because elfin lied is ultra garbage

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Evil Mastermind posted:

That just reminds me of that Pathfinder dev who was using a mouse with the cord wrapped around his wrist to determine the difficulty of using a cord tied around your weapon's handle to re-equip it.

also he sucked at it cause i can do that poo poo 10/10 times no problem

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Nuns with Guns posted:

Challenge him to a wrist mouse flip off for the ultimate say on this errata

like i care about pathfinder errata beyond the point of laughing at it

Edit: just tried it with a safety knife and a cord made of earplugs did it perfectly about 20 times then i turned around and nearly fell over so i feel like i have a dex somewhere in the less than average range so an adventurer with actual stats should definitely be able to do it as a free action

Elfgames fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 30, 2017

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kwyndig posted:

There's nothing stopping you from writing your source code properly, but you also then have to make all your mechanics available in the human readable format in some fashion anywhere it uses Open Content. It's really not worth the effort and there are certainly more elegant mechanical solutions available than anything you'd use from the OGL when you're writing code for a game.

Hell, the first Dragon Age was practically variant D&D as is and they didn't use any kind of license. You can't copyright mechanics so as long as you don't put dice rolling on the screen or use any actual IP (certain monsters, locations, NPCs, and spell names) you could rip off 3.X wholesale when building a computer game.

KoTOR is literally 3.0 D&D

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Professional wrestling is live action anime

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

2 dudes stand around and talk for what feels like forever before they tussle and then one guy hits the other with his finishing move and beats him and then that guy gets up and walks away talking about how he'll get the other guy next time.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

I've seen other games try to have some kind of token system where the GM has resources to spend to hinder the players, but it doesn't make much sense to me in a context where it's understood that the GM controls the universe and acts against the PCs whenever they think it's appropriate.

To me it's like an encounter building system a gm limits the amount of fuckery he can do to the players in an attempt at balance Plus I think it's a better tool for bad or less inventive gm's

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

Right! Things like "this is the DC for a wooden door" and "a monster encounter in the first level of the dungeon can only be these monsters" are the more explicit, more mechanically-involved version of PBTA's GM Moves, in that they're a limiter on how much of a dick you can or should be as a GM.

right but a Gm Has limitless resources where as players do not so it's inherently balanced by the skill and pettiness of the gm. Making the gm abide by actual rules when playing the game can mitigate that to a large degree. Moves are decent for this but I actually like more hard guidelines.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Flavivirus posted:

I'm running a horror one-shot for my wife's birthday set in an arctic research station. There's some standard things to bring in - The Thing, At The Mountains of Madness, etc - but I was wondering if people here had any ideas for awful things that might be happening in an isolated, freezing research station?

penguin uprising. against who I and maybe even they do not know but the south pole will rise again

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Siivola posted:

You have 13th Age twice under D&D-likes, once in "the same but better" and again under "but more heroic". Darker Dungeons hasn't been available on pdf in ages, but Blacky's new site suggests it might make it to DT soonish: https://gurbintrollgames.wordpress.com/ Also I think first saying "all editions of dee-en-dee are bad no exceptions" and then recommending Literally Basic With Houserules is a bit contradictory. :v:

Edit: Also the "heroics" section is missing Godbound, for shame.

also you have 13th age as a good game at all also you have no option for good tactical games.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

13th Age is certainly better than Strike! which is also on the list. Both are in the tactical rulesy section anyway. Godbound should definitely be on there.

@drrockso: Saying "retarded" like that is bad. 2e was also not a great edition at all.

until you can actually come up with a complaint about strike! which is anything beyond "it doesn't have a narrative" kindly shut the gently caress up. 13th age has legitimate game design issues.

Edit goddamnit i don't even like stike, I hate generic games too but seriously come up with a substantial gameplay issue or something.

Elfgames fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 25, 2017

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Terrible Opinions posted:

All D&D are good, except 5th edition that's just bad.

all D&D is bad friend

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Yawgmoth posted:

The game's strategy is mostly "pop your encounter, then use at-wills until you have a reason to get your encounter back and use it again, then at-will until enemies are dead" which isn't much of a strategy at all. There's no organization to any given section, not even basic alphabetizing. There's a load of judgmental editorial bullshit, which if you like that kind of thing then it's great but I'm not a fan of a book straight up saying "if you like this sort of thing you're a dumb stupid baby but if you must do this then here's some rules for it. :rolleyes:" Save that poo poo for forum posts, not a book. A lot of the poo poo in there is incredibly vague and gives no real useful examples or guidance; skills in particular are really unhelpfully written. All in all, it feels like a game that is written for a very particular type of game, refuses to tell you what that type of game is, and then gets mad at you for not playing it all while lying about how it's a generic system you can use for anything. It's trying to everything while looking like it isn't trying to do anything, and doesn't really succeed at either.

Didn't you also have a problem with the tone of "7 ways to stop a fight?" forgive me if i take your complaint with a grain of salt

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Is there still a general discord that TG posters use? I can't find a link anywhere.

https://discord.gg/vyEphA9 this is the link to the good discord

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Pope Guilty posted:

If I know nothing else about Shadowrun it's never, ever, ever get Lofwyr's attention unless you're 100% positive he'll like you for it.

actually even then you're hosed

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Nuns with Guns posted:

Haha. Years ago I remember browsing either the official WotC forums or one of the semi-official places, and there was a thread where a bunch of dudes were wondering why more girls don't play Magic. It was like half divided between guys suggesting the game was too technical and strategic for the female mind and half saying there weren't enough fairies and kittens in the game. I'd go hunting for it but I think I'd find six identical threads in the first page of the google results and get depressed

to be fair, as a dude i think that there aren't enough faeries and kittens in magic.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Yawgmoth posted:

Eventually they'll do Return to Lorwyn and you'll get your wish.

lorwin had creepy bug faeries and was still like 95% kitty deficient springjacks are good though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Pope Guilty posted:

I always wanted to build a wound system that basically goes

You'll be good in a few minutes
You'll be good in an hour
You'll be good after you sleep
You'll be good in a week
You'll be good in a few months
You will probably not ever be okay again

But I couldn't figure out a way to actually build mechanics around it that wouldn't come around to "the GM will just tell you, don't worry too hard about it".

well the problem with this is tracking the time. nobody wants to have their character out of play for a week and the best outcome of that is that the gm speeds up time so that the week's wait is pointless anyway.

• Locked thread