Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

theironjef posted:

Wait, you've heard of Magic? My obscure CCG reference wasn't obscure enough! Seriously, your drat dead-rear end great--grandma had heard of D&D. I'm mad at this comic.

I can’t wait til “Intelligent Life” starts making D&D references and we get to meet another tracing of a Family Guy character as the GM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Covok posted:

What?

Also, I had something similar, but the GM wasn't a shitlord. She tried to run 4e D&D with 13th Age's background system and it just didn't mesh because the skill system is just too deeply engrained.

So one of the systems used by said GM for his nominally 5e game was a DCC style Funnel. Everything from race to occupation was rolled randomly on a bunch of tables, so I figured “I’ll flip a coin to randomly determine gender as well for my four characters.” I got 3 men and 1 woman. The woman was the only survivor of the funnel so she became my 1st level paladin character. She was the only female character in the group (I’m male).

Right out the gate when the GM realizes this, he starts commanding “I don’t want to see *any* romantic subplots in my games!” (Nobody was asking for any). His in-game behavior towards both my character and I became incredibly passive-aggressive, to the point that by session 2 I just stopped going. Blows my mind that someone can provide 20 options for playing a fantasy creature, but try to play a “woman” and grogs lose their poo poo.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Order of the Stick?

OotS is probably the best anti-3.5 cautionary tale ever written.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, STR as D&D defines it is actually this very weird specific facet of overall strength that doesn't correspond to how muscles work in real life. It wasn't a conspiracy against fighters, either, it was just an accident brought about by cargo-culting D&D's mechanics. In old-school D&D, STR is important for melee fighting, lifting and carrying heavy things, and forcing doors open. That makes it really valuable in the context of D&D and not so much in a ton of other games in different genres.

Imagine what gaming could have been if Gygax had a gym membership.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

xiw posted:

I think OOTS is still pretty charming. Not sure where the vehement criticism's coming from - is it reacting to the GITP forums being a 3.5 charop hellhole? The strip's certainly no Goblins.

OotS’ decline began when it fully embraced the idea of “3.5 rules as the physics engine of a fantasy world” as a serious idea instead of a punchline.

Ex., Burlew has to come up with various plot contrivances for Vaarsuvius or Durkon to split from the party; that’s because high-level 3.5 casters completely trivialize any kind of conflict that leads to a meaningful story.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Bar Crow posted:

Kids are taught, intentionally or not, to find people to throw under the bus. There's a few winner spots and lots of loser spots so kids cling to the same bullshit reasons to declare people losers before the game is supposed to have started.

It’s surprising where it can appear. I played in a Pathfinder game once where I played a trans woman PC among a group of mostly cis gay men. I was honestly surprised by how quickly the “tranny” and “drag queen” slurs started getting thrown around.

It’s all good. I’m running UA3 for a group of awesome players now and we’re having a blast.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

I’m critical of OotS’s writing, but there’s a reason the comic is called “Order of the Stick” and not “Order
Of the Highly Detailed Anatomy and Chiaroscuro Shading.”

Creating a highly-detailed comic in the style of K6BD isn’t what Burlew ever set out to do. The drawings are based off of stick-figure counters he made for his own D&D games, and to his fans that low-res DIY feel is part of the charm. It’s not always my thing, but I can’t criticize his intent. (Though I don’t read it because he’s just pandering to his audience at this point.)

Also it’s well know that he’s got some serious chronic health problems, which may limit his technical proficiency.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Running a World of Dungeons Xmas game where the PC’s loot the Tomb of Santa.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Fuego Fish posted:

Generally speaking in a historical context, a paladin knows that deep down they are fundamentally bad

Instead, think about what your deity does (their domains, general attitude) and think logically about how to be nice about it. Of course you'll always offer aid when called upon, because you're representing your deity. You're answering a prayer on their behalf, it's the whole "I sent two boats and a helicopter" thing. You are that boat, or maybe the helicopter if you can get a flying mount. But you're also going to end up doing stuff that might seem inconsequential "in the grand scheme of things" but the moment you start thinking that something is beneath you, you've already stopped being a paladin.

As a paladin you have been given a glorious purpose by your deity and you have to find it. Not blessed with it, but given. It's a burden to bear, and one that will test your moral and physical strength. You may falter, you may even fail, but you will never accept that failure. You won't face down a dragon with no armour because you know that your deity is saving you a seat at the table. That's arrogance. But you do know that when you die, and you get asked "did you do everything you could?" you're going to have to tell the truth.

I’ve been on a “find my higher power” kick lately and this is not just good game advice, it touches on a lot of the personal moral questions I’ve made about myself lately. An excellent post; thank you!

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Star Man posted:

My FLGS owner might be the dumbest mother fucker on the planet. I have no idea how this mother fucker's been in business still after four years.

I’m guessing he’s one of those owners who clearly only set up the store as an excuse to get paid for playing games with his buddies all day?

(Much in the way that most lovely dive bars exist because the owner though “owning a bar” meant “my buddies and I drink free forever”)

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

So Steve Jackson Games is re-releasing The Fantasy Trip again?

I’m asking only because a lot of elfgame nerds seem real excited about it and I have no idea what it is. Anyone play it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

so list of games with cool archers:

Strike
Exalted
D&D 4e

I do love MHR but there's really nothing unique about being an archer in that game than being any other kind of unpowered Complication-focused hero

Godbound. Word of the Bow.

“That guy I don’t like in the next country over?” *fires bow in the air* “Yeah, he’s dead now.”

• Locked thread