Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Sion posted:

Cards against Humanity is a poo poo game and all its knock offs are knock offs of a poo poo game. Boo hiss!

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah, it's nice. I like games like Cards Against Humanity, but I feel like after a while, the jokes wear thin due to repetition. The cards that are question cards will always be question cards. The cards that are answer cards will always be answer cards. With Joking Hazard, all of the cards are just there and can be used anywhere. So a card you used in panel 2 one game might be in panel 1 for another game. It does a lot to extend the life of the game. I know that after a handful of times playing CAH, I could see the repetition and things became far less funny.

Countblanc posted:

i admire people who buy those games. it takes real courage to openly admit that you don't want to do things that let you, personally, be funny or clever, but instead want to do things where you simply let the game make the jokes for you.

But you know what isn't that, actually requires on-your-feet storytelling and making GBS threads on friends, and isn't you throwing your money down a hole or purchasing literal poo poo? My game, you fine chaps!

As for me this year, I am pulling back from too much RP-ing: 3-4 games a week is overkill. On the plus side, it's because everyone in the group wants to run a game.

I'm going to try and produce more videos, including playing more games for videos, and releasing another card game in February or March. One of them I made for a design contest here, actually (ERAUGH! was another one of those).

Also, since I have to shelve the documentary I was working on (as most of the members of my family are being assholes and don't want to pull their weight in interviews on camera), I'll be doing a podcast series discussing Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series, and a series called "How To Critic", where I talk about how to do analytical criticism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Ettin posted:

Two of the characters are literally from Death Note!!

Oh come on, you fanboy over that game too much.

I kid, I kid

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

...does this mean there should be a "make a not poo poo Anime RPG" design contest? The entrants would have to include an example scenario session to teach the unfamiliar the ways of whatever genre they choose.

Because arguing over Anime in RPGs is best fixed by making a solution, in my opinion.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Mr.Misfit posted:

He´s not wrong though, you know. TG might need another Competition Thread like the one from past October like "Make a-not-lovely Anime RPG". Despite its flawed premise, we could see some very interesting things come out of this =)....hmmm

Then dibs on running a contest in February. I'll come up with an OP and some sort of prizes.

I'm totally in the "Universal systems aren't the best option" approach, so I'm thinking about randomly assigning the genres (like at the 48 hour film competitions), meaning you'll have to make an Anime RPG about just Giant Robots, or Magical Girls, or Slice of Life, but not a system that is designed to do all three.

How does that sound?

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

I always like it when we argue personal preferences.

PASTA IS THE BEST FOOD, YOU loving DICKBAG

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Robot Style posted:

Is this guy just taking advantage of a poorly QC'ed fanmade game, or is there active bullshit going on?

Does the end of the campaign involve different colors of explosions?

On a different note, have you thought about using a different engine? It may not be D20, but Cortex+ could be a better fit for your group.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

potatocubed posted:

Sounds like a good time to point out that Talislanta had (has?) a literal poo poo farmer class. Marukani Dung Farmer, as I recall.

I always wanted to play that...

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Phi230 posted:

All that is true however Anime was a Mistake

Countblanc posted:

it's a mistake that there isn't more anime

Speaking of which, I'm almost done preparing for the February TradGames Design Contest. The sign-ups will begin the week before February actually starts, since everyone will be randomly assigned a genre of Anime, with those being announced on the first of the month. I even have a contest modifier that I'll draw for everyone: one aspect that, regardless of genre you draw you'll have to design for.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Countblanc posted:

make a rule that they have to be mechanically dense games for the ultimate rug pull

Adding "grognard.txt" to the genre list.

EDIT:

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Already drafting multiple blood type charts, brb

That actually could work if the right thing is drawn...

TheSoundNinja fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 13, 2017

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

is there a single pure thing in this world that someone hasn't tried to poorly convert to d20 rules???

Law and Order: Criminal Intent D20

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Elfgames posted:

I hope you have included popular new genres like "stuck in a vr mmo"

P.d0t posted:

Arguably that's just dot hack and therefore not "new"

Are we talking "interesting drama built on character relationships and dealing with how people could act in a situation like that" anime, "I WON THESE SKINS IN A PROMOTIONAL CONTEST" two volume manga, or "incest"?

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

:lol:

The first .hack anime at least was atmospheric, even if the story was a bit... light.

You got me: the only one of those series that even remotely interested me was the first .hack

On a different note, I'm reaching out to DriveThruRPG and some local businesses to secure some prizes to give away. One of the local businesses may or may not be anime related.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

On the one hand, I agree. On the other hand, sneak attacking with a ballista is hilarious.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Well, having gotten a response from DriveThruRPG to offer prizes, the February Trad Games Design Contest thread is live! Feel free to sign-up and suggest ideas for Anime Genres for me to draw from. I already have 9, but more would make it more interesting. Also, DTRPG offered to up the available prizes based on how many people enter.

So enter already, and prove that you're better than Guardians of Order and Studio Gonzo.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

I do like the first post complaining about playtesting like its some mad new idea and not a rule almost every TG contest has had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRdfX7ut8gw

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Well, there also is no such thing as Harambe anymore.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I need recommendations for two-player board games (or games that work well with two players) that don't take up a ton of space.

I'm a fan of NOIR and Boss Monster myself, though Love Letter (and all it's versions) can be played with two people.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Yu-Gi-Oh! Season Zero is a fun viewing: the "Duel Monsters" card game hadn't been introduced, so the series involved Yugi transforming and challenging various criminals and douchebags to different games of skill and chance. The catch? If they lose they get sent to the Shadow Realm loving DIE.

Plus, the series introduced Bakura (and his dark side) through an RPG arc where learning to throw dice so they'll always end up on the number you want is a major factor in the good guys winning.

For a beautiful art piece that'll make you cry in awe, I'd recommend Macross: Do You Remember Love? Totally hand drawn (as it's from the 1980s), I watched it thinking it was overhyped. I was wrong, it was beautiful, and needs to be released on DVD or BD at some point.

And for the contest proper, have you considered "Ultimate Muscle: The Kinnikuman Legacy"?

EDIT: It would help if I got the title right...

TheSoundNinja fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jan 28, 2017

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Alright, the modifier is up for the February TGD Contest: Sequel Series.

Now to see what comes out of it...

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

February Contest Judging Update: Only two games left, and I've posted all of the judging sessions so far in the thread. That means in three weeks, we'll finally have our winners!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

I can’t come up with a way to jokingly relate this to a graphic novel about a serial killer.

The February TGD contest is over! Congrats to DavinValkri for knocking it out of the loving park to get second, and DNA Cowboys for making a game that involves Demons and Cake.

“The Final Rankings” posted:

8th: Armilage: The Peace Walkers by Free Cog (44pts)
7th: Legend Divide by Mr. Misfit (45pts)
6th: Strikers [NG+] by LurksWithWolves (47pts)
5th: Space Adventure Hero (^^b) Edition by AlienRopeBurn (48pts)
4th: Burning Fires of Youth: The Demon Lord’s Return by Hedningen (51pts)
3rd: From Hell’s Heart by Antivehicular (56pts)
2nd: Gendai no Kami (Little Miracles) by DavinValkri (59pts)
1st: Requiem for Rose by DNA Cowboys (60pts)

• Locked thread