Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The problem is that since TFOS was so early in the lineup of anime games it set so high a bar no one can really reach it and thus all fail miserably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Anima: Beyond Fantasy: Someone's translated from Spanish MERP Houserules for Dragonball.

Anima: Tactics: the minis game based in the setting of the above.

Anima: Gate of Memories: Action RPG that apparently got kickstarted and successfully released, also based on the above? Color me surprised.

Anima Prime is...no idea, though I understand the rules got released under creative commons, so that's kind of neat but hasn't urged me to go look it up, but no relation to any of those. You can tell by the lack of colon.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

No, no, it's cool, I did on the last page...as TFOS, which is probably why no one noticed.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Honestly if the character art that mostly gets used for PBP games here is any indication basically every game is anime anyway.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

More evidence for my theory that everyone who says "Superman is perfect and boring" has never read or seen anything with Superman actually in it.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

For my notably half-finished hack I basically made Paragon and Renegade minikits, more based on what a maxed out hero of that type would do than as any sort of morality scoring system.

quote:

Champion:

This minikit is for the sort of hero who always looks for the diplomatic solution, who inspires others to do the right thing and be the best version of themselves. They aren’t as insufferable as you might think from that.

Advances

Above and Beyond: When you go out of your way to fulfill a relatively minor request (Bring a dying war-turtle’s last poem back to his dryad spouse, retrieve a child’s toy from a war zone, etc, etc.) gain an action point.

Savior of the Spaceways: Gain an extra community reputation with a group you’ve helped.

Upper Left Blue: When you appeal to someone’s better nature to try and get them to do the right thing, roll an appropriate persuasive skill.

On a success, they do what you ask, and may change for the better.

With a bonus, they’ll also offer additional help; say, a discount on goods if they’re a merchant, or another appropriate award.

On a Twist, they’ll do what you want, but reluctantly, and they may change their mind and be angry about it later.

With a cost, they’ll do it and then refuse to have anything else to do with you.

quote:

Badass:

You’re the hard man (or woman, or monogendered space dryad, etc) making hard decisions. Action is your reward, punching people is how you do business.

Badass Interrupt: When a situation calls for it, you can take sudden, decisive action. In Combat, you can make a basic attack before initiative is rolled.

Explosive: There’s always something around that you can shoot, hit, or point out to ally to shoot that will blow up.

A particular set of skills: When faced with an enemy where you don’t want to waste your time, roll intimidate or another appropriate skill:

On a success, they’ll flee from you. With a bonus, they may offer you something to leave them alone, and then flee.

On a twist, they’ll leave for now, but they may show up later as reinforcements in a fight, or try to corner you with allies- (you can use this advance again, but you’ll be at a disavantage. )

With a cost, they’ll attack immediately, but be at a disadvantage when they do so.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

To be fair, one of the biggest adventures of the early hero wars was just babysitting.

(Babysitting a giant baby in a massive cradle floating down the Zola Fel river, such that hadn't been seen since the second age, and literally fighting off multiple armies to keep the Lunar empire from killing the baby and looting its cradle for treasure.)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

It was Argrath who brought Sheng Sheleris back, not Arkat, Arkat was before both of them. Still an epically bad idea, though.

...Though given that one interpretation of Argrath is "He's a myth that's a stand in for the collective action of player characters in the Hero Wars" well, it's just the sort of plan a group of PCs would come up, really.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

It works the opposite of the way AD&D descending AC does, in that it's all additive, which was one of the big complaints about descending AC in the first place- that you had to do do multiple operations. Here, you just straight up add their AC to your roll and see if you hit.

There's no THAC0 in Godbound because AC 0 just means you aren't adding anything to the roll.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

As someone who got into gaming through their parents at around that age, I've gotta say that my dad didn't actually force me to play, I went looking through all those weird books on my own and asking about what they were and how it worked and basically bugged him to let me try it and that's how I wound up playing various terrible five year old joke characters like a cleric named Eric, and a Runequest Duck named Donald.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Even better in, the steam tunnels under the local college campu...wait, no.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Man, I was just referencing Mazes and Monsters. (And the RL "oh, he wasn't actually missing after playing D&D in the steam tunnels, whoops." case it was based on.)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Technically I guess there's Giant Allege, the game of courtroom drama and mecha lawyer fights, but I don't think that ever got an official translation over here.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I think the goal is more "Warhammer Fantasy-alike with a better ruleset," the way the careers are set up. Like one of the random 'interesting items' you can start with is literally a small but vicious dog. That's why you don't even start with a class, exactly, just a profession.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

"Buff dude who only ever wears half a shirt: Fetish."

...Actually I guess "Eats a whole cake in front of an orphan and doesn't share" is probably someone's weirdly specific fetish.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Pretty sure what everyone was ridiculing wasn't "These characters are designed to be attractive", but more "These characters are designed to be appeal to specific fetishes". Those aren't the same thing!

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

quote:

It’s Dungeons & Dragons but every time the DM says bee everyone rolls a save versus death.

At last, the appropriate way to emulate bees in FFXIV, now in tabletop form.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

The best dark elves are Mystara Dark Elves, who are basically Fantasy Fallout Vault dwellers who are slowly inching their way out of their weird underground home and abandon their radiation/magic deformed offspring to the elements based on a misinterpretation of their holy text. (Fortunately their god is a softy and sends the kids to live with goblin tribes, which may actually be where Goblins come from in the first place.)

The best elves in general are the Hollow Earth elves, who are a preserved cultural enclave of the pre-Fallout scenario Elf civilization, complete with laser pistols, as rescued by a good guy T-rex god who wants to hug everyone and is sad his arms aren't big enough to hold them all.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 26, 2017

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Ratpick posted:

What games are there that actually have some manner of rules for character death beyond "roll up another character, you're dead Gary"?

I started thinking about this a while back because most traditional RPGs still have the idea that all fights are to the death and once you die you just roll up a new character. I know some games have qualifiers for character death (like "If you TPK the whole group it doesn't actually count for reals unless they were fighting a big baddy, but having the entire group beaten should carry some dramatic consequence") but I'm thinking more along the lines of games that actually prescribe in the rules what happens upon character death beyond having to roll up another character. Not necessarily even death, but codified consequences for what happens when you reach the point of critical existence failure where by the rules your character is taken out.

Examples of the sort of stuff I'm looking for: being reduced to 0 hp (or whatever the equivalent) doesn't kill you, but instead gives you a permanent scar of some kind; your character dying meaning that you immediately come back as some kind of undead with appropriate drawbacks; being killed meaning that you must roll a new character, but your new character already starts with some benefit relative to our previous character's power level or achievement (alternative: if your character dies in a really dramatic manner that perfectly encapsulates what the character was about, the player's next character might start with dramatically better benefits).

The reason I'm thinking about this stuff is that most RPGs are still based around what you might call challenge-based gameplay (i.e. the GM's role is largely one of setting up challenges and obstacles for the players to overcome) and death is almost always on the line in that sort of gameplay, but most games don't seem to consider the effects of death beyond having to scrap your character or waiting for the rest of the group to resurrect them.

Weirdly, your third example goes all the way back to 1E AD&D: Oriental Adventures gave your next PC benefits if you died with a high honor score.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Gonna second Baccano and Mushishi.

I keep waiting for someone to adapt the Baccano guy's vampire book, because really, the idea of a monster hunting team that funds itself at least partly by selling fake tacticool vampire hunting gear via a website and then just looking for the folks leaving sincere "There's really monsters, what do I do" comments as clients is maybe the best set up for a Hunter: The Vigil game I've ever heard of?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

My impression is that Dancey pitched the whole thing, possibly with a musical number: (Basically think the Monorail song from the Simpsons only with "Middleware" as the keyword). Lisa Stevens then spun it off into its own company for smart reasons until it blew up completely and they had to take ownership of the albatross.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I picture a conversation that starts something like this:

"So how screwed are we if we just let it go"

"There are like 20 people still playing who could afford to throw away 5000 dollars to own a pretend inn on a game that wasn't even made yet"

"So what you're saying is 'Very".

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

What did people think of Worlds of Peril? I backed it and had mixed opinions but it didn't leave a strong impression, more kind of a vague "that was a thing".

My impression was "This is certainly a game that could have used more examples of making characters in the book because holy wow, vague"

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Spacemaster is the Space Version of Rolemaster, complete with weapon charts, dozens of crit tables, and the exact same armor proficiency rules but with like plate armor renamed to be power armor or something. And basically just the mentalism school of magic redone as psionics.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah, the closest it's got is called shots, which is mostly like "Make a roll with a bane, if you hit, they get a bane to do things regarding the area you targeted"

One of the Master Paths has that 18+ crit result as essentially an at-will class ability to anything with 20 health or less that's within melee range. (The Death Dealer's Mountain of corpses level 10 talent. AKA "gently caress all these mooks in particular" )

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Feb 23, 2017

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Okay, but this doesn't describe Tolkien elves at all.

Yeah, if you want something hosed up in a potentially world-endingly cataclysmic way, get an Tolkien elf to make it a pet cause.

Especially Feanor.

loving Feanor, man.

To combine threads If you convinced Feanor to end slavery and went away for six months you'd come back to entire nations in chains and everything on fire.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Runequest and Monstrous PC chat makes me want to play in a Trollpak game.

I know! The Last of Uz, where you play a grizzled old Great Troll warrior and the teenaged first surfaceborn Mistress race troll he's bodyguarding for reasons.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 10, 2017

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

That's the theme I went with when designing my good/neutral Necromancer society. It's a republic where you get the franchise by agreeing to have your body raised after death, but the rich could afford to come back as greater undead instead of just skeletons, and got to keep the vote, so you'd have the same senator in power for your district for like several hundred years, and they had a serious Flesh-goleming problem (Instead of jerrymandering) of people stitching together district lines to keep a particular party tottering along long after its lifespan.

Edit: Probably actually not good, no, but it was a game that didn't really have alignment, and it was the only republic in the setting so the players went "This is the just and good society we will defend" because they had a pro-democracy streak.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 12, 2017

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

The bit I remember from my skim is fledgling democracy, with a mostly figurehead king who was all "So, like if only nobles can have the franchise, and the king can create new titles of nobility, bam, everyone in the country is now minor nobility and has a say in picking my successor" and everyone else regarding them as kind of weird as a result.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

The weirdest thing to me in the game is that, despite adding Fantasy not-Poland, they decided the country that turned into "Totally not the Witcher", complete with a magic school about alchemy brewing from monster parts and a class of professional hunters was fantasy not-Germany.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Let's just take anything off the table that sounds like it should come out of the mouth of a 1930s pulp adventurer, optionally preceded by "Wily"

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

(Insert joke about Red Dragons here)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

We're also getting an Evil Hat-produced Horror-FATE thing at some point (FATE of Cthulhu, which is in alpha playtest according to their project status page) which should presumably provide more options there.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

The Force is a malevolent entity that ruins lives, destroy the Force.

Secret Kreia spotted.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

The guy writing Captain America handwringing over people punching Nazis was one of the dumber things I've ever seen.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

The dumbest thing about Secret Empire is that the original Secret Empire involved Cap taking down a corrupt president who shot himself in office and was probably Nixon, so how we get from that to "Cap is the real Nazi" is a ride no one can explain.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Nah, there are humanoid drones they can be put in, but they just didn't actually have any 'default' bodies for that.

And to be fair the in-setting research' the cyborg drones were based on goes back to like, 1E and 2E books- The fiction in the decker book in 1E and the follow up to it in the threats book in 2E.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's also the Car Wizards sourcebook for Katanas and Trenchcoats.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

occamsnailfile posted:

I would say Arthurian legend has sprawled out and spawned a lot of pretty good creations even in the modern day--and a lot of crap, of course. I mean, assuming we count Malory as the original creator (which is sort of dicey) many others came after and made something bigger out of the concept. It's in sort of a unique place though, being a thousand years old with a thousand different authors.

Sherlock Holmes is another canon that seems enriched by later contributions. A common thread with Lovecraft and Sherlock Holmes is that both are popular and beloved, and also in the public domain, so even a flashy failure doesn't have to forestall another attempt at a remake.

Also S T Joshi flounced off hilariously when the World Fantasy Award decided a bust of Lovecraft wasn't a good representation for the values of the genre anymore.

ETA: That's not true below, there are several kinds of legit non-Euclidean geometry, they're just mostly reserved for extreme math nerds.

Janos Bolyai's definitely an extreme math nerd, for nineties values of extreme.

quote:

It is related of him that he was challenged by thirteen officers of his garrison, a thing not unlikely to happen considering how differently he thought from everyone else. He fought them all in succession – making it his only condition that he should be allowed to play on his violin for an interval between meeting each opponent. He disarmed or wounded all his antagonists. It can be easily imagined that a temperament such as his was not one congenial to his military superiors. He was retired in 1833.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I thought it was more "John Wick the game designer likes to use overwrought stat names"

• Locked thread