Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I signed up for it and apparently the emails with the actual playtest materials were blocked by my spam filter so by the time I actually got them to go over the feedback period was already pretty much over.

The sample adventure was pretty much formula Trek: A planet where people start turning into whatever the equivalent for cave men was for their species and a race against time to develop a cure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
From what I understand, Fragged Kingdom's a sort of sword and planet/retrograde colony setting masquerading as a fantasy world. Like the Warlock in spite of himself with four-eared elves and druidic Nephelim.

But yeah, I want both.

Also Fragged Seas, the Pirates spinoff.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Terrible intro adventure idea: "Tutorial mode", where you're literally playing someone hired by a Corporate testing a VR gaming rig. It starts with chargen (using the actual Fragged Empire rules, broken down into q & a) then runs through various basic tasks ending in a combat. Then the sim ends and you can either make a 'real' character now that you know how it works, or keep playing your existing PC on the basis that you just entered something as close to yourself as possible. (The post-sim bit also doubles as a sort of tutorial on Spare Time and the ship building stuff.)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

If it's a GM's screen ala the the FFG screens where it's basically a mini-sourcebook and a screen sturdy enough to be used as a murder weapon, I could maybe see charging 35 bucks.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

The only thing I can think of in Fresno that might draw FBI interest would be Scientology.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Kerberos Club isn't Fate Core unless they've done a Core verison since I last looked. It's off in its own fate derivative called StrangeFATE.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Wasn't there already a (failed) RPG called Genesys?

Yeah. I don't think they actually got to the point of being an actual RPG, they were going for that whole mixed media thing and were gonna have a smartphone app and etc and etc and all that remains of it is a twitter account that last posted in 2013.

https://twitter.com/genesysrpg?lang=en

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Game idea, a system where making a character is literally writing that character's resume.

Hey, if Castle Falkenstein and Heroquest can be 'write short character biographies and call out keywords to be your stats' it doesn't really seem far-fetched.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I think looking at this as Shadowrun but you're the cops" is the wrong angle when it's obviously "Alien nation but with fantasyland"

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

A Night's Work is my second favorite 90s low-budget RPG tie-in video.

(The first is a tie between Dragonstrike and Wildspace.)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

From what I've heard the Nyarko series was at least partly written to troll the author's COC group which I can both believe and be way too amused by.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I wish I knew what was triggering my emails from Modiphius to go straight to my ISP's spam trap. Just checked and there it is. Missed most of the playtest too because I didn't realize I'd actually made it in.

On the upside, when the actual PDF came out, I did a jokey writeup of a certain species from the original series as a playable next gen option, and someone over at RPG.net slotted it into the book format, complete with illo.

http://enklave-23.de/STA_Sheets/Species/STA_Species_Iotians.pdf

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Drone posted:

There was a really lovely comic book about this. I can't for the life of me find it on the two Trek wikis, but from what I remember of it, it was set just after Star Trek: First Contact. The 1701-E visited Sigma Iotia and found that they had progressed to a mid-23rd century level of technology based around the communicator that McCoy left behind. They had built up a huge starbase, everyone was wearing TOS uniforms, etc. One thing led to another and woops, apparently they didn't abandon their aggressive mobster ways after all, and they stole (or created a copy? memory is hazy) the 1701-E so that they could conquer the Federation or something.

It was bad.

Edit: boom, found it: http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/A_Piece_of_Reaction

Some fiction anthology had a Iotian engineer who kept calling his boss "Dollface" or something and that was basically all I needed to do the entire writeup.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Would almost guarantee it's an LCG or something, not an RPG.

If it's an RPG, maybe they licensed their weird 'use your own stats in the apocalypse' thing for it.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Technically Vampire was a lovely Nightlife clone!

(Vampire came out like a year later, but it was probably 'both of them were working on it at the same time.')

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Anima: Beyond Fantasy is very much 'Look at all these fancy Korean artists we hired to illustrate our Rolemaster House rules".

(That may be unfair. It's closer to a Rolemaster-lite like MERP but.)

Also multiple layers of setting background that not only players would never know or interact with but is completely extraneous to running the game.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Talislanta is the only one of these which is legitimately up for free. The other two, I just don't think anybody has bothered to C&D.

But I can add Powers and Motherfucking Perils to the list, avalon hill's foray into the boxed set rpg world. http://powersandperils.org

I did an F&F for it around, oh, 2012 and it's a wonderfully bizarre game that's very early 80's, with design elements that I've never seen before or since.

The Marvel TSR one at least has permission from Wizards. Whether it or the Star Wars D6 one has permission from Disney, on the other hand...

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

It also came up in a Feng Shui 1E sourcebook- they made vehicles too easy to destroy with a particular kung fu style, because chase rules and driving weren't in the corebook. So when they added them, there was a sidebar specifically to address that power, as otherwise rules-as-written anyone with it could spend three chi and kick a Buro skyfortress to death.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

...And I just had something clarified for me in that I'd been thinking about magic in Reign terms for a game but hadn't actually looked at Reign.

(Namely "Many small mostly mutually exclusive schools." Attunement-based sorcery would handle that pretty well.)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

That Old Tree posted:

Wait, Ulisses Spiele? I thought C7 had Warhammer now. Or do they just have Fantasy?

Spiele has 40K, (and is doing a new game with no relation to previous rules, apparently?) C7 has Fantasy and Age of Sigmar.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah, Godbound's GM advice section is basically the opposite of the GM is God, it's "The players are going to run rampant over your precious setting and that's going to make your job so much easier because they'll practically write adventures for you" and "Don't fight the ridiculous scale and impact they can have, embrace it, if a Pantheon gets the local king upset, it's the -king- who should be worried"

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

One of the corebook races is clockwork robots powered by lost souls, even.

(Who ironically may not be a good choice for the giant robot because they can be too big to fit in the cockpit.)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Also going from move to move in a style is basically intended to take the place of standard tactical movement stuff. Movement's handled by abstract zones, so you might have an back alley setpiece that has 'street level' 'rooftop' and 'fire escapes and clotheslines' as locations and move between them as you take actions.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah. YOu've got "Healers'" (The empaths, divine magic/Channelers) and Lay Healers (Psonics/mentalists) Lay Healers mostly just do magically enhanced regular surgery and first aid and have an an entire spell list that's just creating and animating more and more complex magical prosthetics out of increasingly rarer materials.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah, there was this whole expectation that you'd bring the same character to games run by different people, so if Bob started giving out a ton of stuff and easy XP, when you went to Alice's game next week you'd overwhelm her stuff that wasn't built for people who'd been to Bob's House of discount holy avengers or whatever. I started gaming at the tail end of this being a thing, and eventually people would just bring folders of characters and ask the GM if it was okay for their game level first, which seems like a sane approach if you're going to assume total portability. And is probably what eventually led to just people just making characters for a specific campaign.

Gygax -also- railed against 'killer GMs' which, uh...I don't want to consider what the dude who suggested 'have random bolts of blue lightning hit people for being dumb' would consider a killer GM.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Like I said, I started gaming while people were doing it mostly like that with people porting characters from one game to another and one GM might do random bullshit traps that drop you naked into a dungeon and another might give you a sword that uses a backgammon doubling cube as its damage die.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

That was one of the interesting things about later editions of Tunnels and Trolls to me- they actually did some research with the playerbase and noted stuff like "So the folks in Phoenix do this and this and that's pretty cool", scattering it through the text.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Well, it's always used 2d6 instead of d20 AFAIK.

The fragmentary fan-translations I've seen make SW 2.0 out to be fairly influenced by the intervening decades of JRPGs. You can play a robot-person or a rabbit-person and the classes look Final Fantasy Tactics inspired to me. Is the system really traditional, really groggy, really unbalanced? I have no idea.

Though based on that wiki that got linked earlier, the rabbit people are less 'bunny girls' and more 'we scratched the serial numbers off halflings and made them the White Rabbit/March Hare from Alice in Wonderland' which is at least a slightly fresher take on both concepts.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

They came in from the cold post 9/11, though a lot of that generation is still around. That's why the distinction between Cowboys and Program mentioned above.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Date Ward is a hard counter for Forceful Boor, I assume.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

...Huh. A new cleaned up edition of Reign might just be the solution to a 'what system do I wanna use for this' problem I've been considering.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

What is REIGN Enchiridion, anyway?

Basically a setting free version of the original book. I think setting free also includes 'no setting specific martial paths/esoteric paths/sorcery. '

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Maybe the one time they played it was RAW fight with Irontooth in Keep on the Shadowfell, which could straight up murder a party.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

New Guy/Vet close to retirement is the other axis of the Maverick/By the Book alignment grid.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

some loving LIAR posted:

The idea of Heroquesting with pulp/noir tropes is as far as I got, though. Trying to project Glorantha into a 20th-century Earth analogue seems like it would get kind of tasteless kind of fast.

Given that a chunk of Glorantha in-setting fiction from back in the day were Damon Runyon Pastiches set in Pavis (All the Griselda and Wolfshead stuff) and noir-y detective stories set in the temple of Lankhor Mhy in Notchet, it's not like you need to work that hard to do Glorantha Noir.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Given that Fragged Kingdom's going to have, well, Kingdom building stuff and we're apparently going to get a "Traditional fantasy races" supplement at some point, I wonder how well it'd do for Meikyuu Kingdom's premise.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

At last, a hit location chart that also doubles as a dungeon map for crawling around inside a giant robot.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

besides the Freeport Fate Companion (and Fate Inverse World), are there any other Fate games that are set in D&D type heroic fantasy? I ask because Ettin was doing a kind of Fantasy Fate Fighter playbook and I've seen the phrase "Fantasy Fate" tossed around a bit, so I'm wondering if there's a specific game being referenced or if folks are really taking the Fate book and applying fantasy tropes and setting to it on their own.

I was going to suggest Karthun, but apparently it's actually a system agnostic thing from Evil Hat?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

The breakdown of the system is that you have to spend X amount of XP on stats to go up to the next rank. Much like careers in WFRPG, you have preset stats for each rank.

You could take away the specific stats and just make it so that once you spend X, you go up in rank. I wouldn't really start planning stuff though until the final product is out since they could scrap it, as FFG has done in the past, and start over or just use the older editions.

So it's cultivation XP ala Legends of the Wulin, except you have to spend it on very specific things? Well, that's...a thing you could do, I guess.

Actually it kind of reminds of cultivation XP married to the ridiculuous "Tager awakening" thing from Cthulhutech' where to awaken your super-powered fire monster form you'd have to start 300 small fires, 200 medium fires and at least one fire that burned out of control and killed a person you didn't intend to burn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Nah, Lemon-Lime's on record as thinking FFG Star Wars owes too much to 40K on the 'big charts of weapons and fragile characters getting crit all the time' front, IIRC. Which isn't entirely wrong? But "it's just thinly disguised 40k" is a little reductive.

• Locked thread