Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Haystack posted:

Kill Six Billion Demons :black101:

I don't really count that because the comic came first and then the creator decided he wanted to make an RPG based on it, rather than someone starting from the first principle of "I want to make a comic about playing RPGs or set in an RPG world."

What's the webcomic where gamer nerds are actually some kind of special changeling-esque fantastical creatures by night and there's an order of sinister normie hunters devoted to killing them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Antivehicular posted:

Weregeek? Just a guess -- I never read it, just saw ad banners for it back in my webcomic-reading days -- but I think that was the premise.

That's it! I don't know if they ever kept that premise going or not, it seemed like the writer would periodically go back and forth between that and regular three panel gag strips, but I do remember the first time I read it my eyes literally rolled right out of my skull which is why I have these replacement eyeballs.

Moriatti posted:

I have to believe there's an actual play that's not garbage?

Uh... 8-Bit Theatre was something I read as a teen, is that good?

It's pretty impressive that the guy who used to be The 8-Bit Theater Guy went on to do Atomic Robo and seems to be reasonably successful at it, good for him.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Oh hey, there's a comments section.

quote:

This is hilarious! Incoming text bomb for anyone who cares, though (don't say I didn't warn you):

It's really funny because I ACTUALLY run a game that uses Aspects (and some other things) from "Aspects of Fantasy" (a FATE/Pathfinder/LotFP hybrid from Kickstarter), the attributes from "TriStat", Advantage/Disadvantage from "5th Edition", the skill system is a combination of Backgrounds from "13th Age" and Talents from Tunnels & Trolls, the combat uses Combat Skills from "BESM d20" (combined with the aforementioned kludge skill system, for streamlined skill based combat) the "Mutants & Masterminds 3" Damage Tracks/Dice mechanics and the spell system is a mixture of the "BESM d20" Advanced Magic, the Skill Based Magic from "Sword & Sorcery's" Advanced Player's Guide, and "True20's" True Sorcery (with a DCC's Spellburn) and "Mystic Eye Games'" Artificer's Handbook. Hell, we even use the 3d6 Bell Curve Rolls/Players Roll All the Dice from "Unearthed Arcana" There are also some minor additions from some other systems like the "Five Moons RPG" playtest, and "The Complete Book of Experimental Might".

It's flavored much like a strange amalgam of "Eberron", "Uresia: Grave of Heaven", "Thunderscape: World of Aden", "Everstone", "Iron Kingdoms", 'Arcanis", "Midgard", "Terah" and "Steampunk Musha". Think "Full Metal Alchemist" + "The Legend of Korra" but with arcane magic instead of of alchemy or bending.

It's actually a streamlined version of a much bigger kludge containing stuff like "FantasyCraft", "Trailblazer", "Iron Heroes" and about (I kid you not) 700 other books (I have a rather large collection between physical books and DriveThruRPG). I worked on it for 3 years and then scrapped it for my new system... It just got WAY too rules heavy.

My current game runs really rules light and it's a blast to play... glad my friends like it. I've been running the same world for 10 years now weekly and last year I just started a second game in the same world with different people, so I must be doing something right! The reason I even made this in the first place was because I was challenged by a friend to make a system that fit our world better than 3.5 (since our world suffered from a big gap between mechanics and story) WITHOUT using any homebrew (since we consider homebrew to be only stuff NOT published in a book).

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ProfessorCirno posted:

The D&D actual comic for 4e was real good if that counts.

Not a webcomic though. Rip Fell's Five, too good for this world.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Nuns with Guns posted:

Wow, and here I thought you had good taste

Modding both RPGnet and SA Tradgames does things to a person.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Arivia posted:

I don’t have a grudge. It’s just bad and it’s baffling to see a bad system get promoted so heavily here.

Give me a fuckin break, you pounce on every mention of the game that crops up in this and other threads and it's obnoxious as hell.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ProfessorCirno posted:

"There’s boring, there’s bad, and then there’s “Bright,” a movie so profoundly awful that Republicans will probably try to pass it into law over Christmas break."

I won't bother linking any full reviews of the movie because nothing can top that line.

Holy poo poo.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I dig LANCER so much I actually made an entire new mech corporation for it and I'm still tinkering with a half dozen different bits of homebrew.

I do agree that it's still a bit rough in places, though hopefully that can get smoothed out as development progresses. The thing I'm most leery about in 1.5 is the included requirement of having a target lock in order to hack an enemy, which imo adds too many steps and points of failure to hacking which was already reduced in power and efficiency from its original incarnation. It's more action efficient to just attack enemies normally than jump through the 2.5+ hoops in order to start effectively hacking targets. I've brought this up to one of the creators and it's been mentioned on the game's subreddit so hopefully he'll go back and take a look at it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

dwarf74 posted:

... And wow, the pre-release just dropped.

Nice. Reading it now.

e: Wow, nice art.

Be sure to send in any errors or typos if you find them. I caught one just now going through the various class powers.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

remusclaw posted:

4th editions Ranger was a pretty boss archer if I remember correctly.

It was overshadowed by the ridiculousness you could get up to with a Twin Strike focused Ranger but yeah. You could also spec a Rogue into hand crossbows that worked pretty decently.

FMguru posted:

Yeah, IIRC it allowed you to fire a crossbow while prone at only a -2 penalty...which was the same as the penalty for prone shooting a crossbow without that feat. So it literally did nothing, except eat up a feat slot.

It's also a nice example of the thinking behind so many poo poo feats - you get a tiny bonus that only comes into play on very unusual occasions.

Not even "a tiny bonus," one of the shittiest things about 3.X era/style feats, which was one of the very first things I ever noticed when I first looked at 3E, is how so much of feat design is based around "oh you still take a penalty to do this thing, it's just a smaller penalty."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

hyphz posted:

"If you have been prone since the end of your last turn" means that you either voluntarily dropped prone, or had a turn in which you could have stood up but chose not to. And why would you do either if you get any penalty at all?

Also note how this feat has nothing to do with shooting while prone whatsoever.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Plutonis posted:

Couldn't a point feat system work if it was made like in uhh a lot of videogames that let you customize the poo poo out of your characters AND have point costs to buy crap?

I mean it's not like there aren't plenty of video games full of imbalanced options and trap choices too. It's never really been a matter of "you can't make a point-based feat system, you idiot, you fool" so much as the specific system pulled out of Sean K. Reynolds' rear end is really fuckin bad. Anything can work if you have actual decent designers behind it.

e; but to go with what gradenko is, as usual, very astutely putting, good design is often helped along by making better underlying frameworks to build the rest of a system atop of than 3.X's specific iteration of discrete customization options all thrown into a blender and attempting to balance Skill Focus against Natural Spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Countblanc posted:

is Unity actually out? like to buy with money?

No, it's on a 0.9 pre-release to KS backers as they solicit last-minute playtest feedback/proofreading for errors and try to sort out some issues with the layout, after which it'll be going to full-fledged release.

• Locked thread