Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Countblanc posted:

I sorta hate the Core Path example given, it sounds like you just sorta stretch your best one to fit whatever situations you can when it's even vaguely relevant. Like the whole "I remember reading a legend about an expert marksman in my library. Rolling Knowledge: History to line up my shot" thing that use to get joked about here a lot.

The rest seems neat though.
The book acknowledges this possible issue. It breaks it down like "Does it encompass a few useful skills and knowledge? Good. Too narrow? Bad. Too broad? Really bad."

So something like "my father taught me everything" is in the "really bad" category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Splicer posted:

Are the paths from a list? If so, how much of the fluff on her sheet is common to every A Warrior's Heart?

Do you get more points as you level? Is there a cap? It looks like you can go 2/2/1 in theory, but that feels like a trap option.
They give a handful of examples, but it's free-form, as is pretty standard for this sort of thing.

You do get more points but I'm less worried here than with stats. As long as the game isn't about stretching to use your one best path all the time, it won't be as rewarding to keep a narrow focus. You can also use points for new Core Paths.

It's 2d10 resolution, so there's a reasonably strong center-weighting. If most difficulties are under 13, spreading it around makes more sense. If they congregate at the high end, it's the opposite.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Haystack posted:

Has any game really managed to tackle the broad vs narrow problem with freeform skills? Heroquest technically has rules that are supposed to penalize really broad abilities, but I've always felt like they put the GM in a bad place.
I don't think it's possible, tbh, if there's no specific list to pick from.

Freeform descriptors require good behavior from players and attention by the GM. It's like anything else - the book can give guidance, but at the end of the day there's a boundless number of possibilities.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
The good news here is that Core Paths are explicitly for out of combat use. So balance issues will hopefully be minor.

I think the "one best skill" problem could be partially avoided by using something akin to Fate Core's skill pyramid. So you can't have a 3 without a 2, or a 2 without a 1. Something similar to this may also work for attributes. I am armchairing this though, and the game math may work better without caps. I dunno yet.

Also I'd like to stress again - this is a gorgeous book with great art and solid layout.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

01011001 posted:

Yeah, the process of arguing with your players whether or not they get their full bonus just gets exhausting when you can stretch a thing to cover almost anything.
Yeah, I like to front-load that as much as possible during character creation.

• Locked thread