Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Helical Nightmares posted:

wondering what game to run next?

Here you go:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=827628497

Yes that is a Mi-go with a braincase.

Now I'm thinking about ways to hack the Fate Core version of Bulldogs! to do this. Bulldogs! conditions seem kinda perfect, just need to add a sanity mechanic. Fate Freeport or Fate Achtung Cthulhu should provide something useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Maze Rats totally lifted that system from Freebooters on the Frontier.

-----

On the subject of Bulldogs! adventures, I'm not sure if I'll ever run it straight (so I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about what kind of games it wants you to run), but it has a bunch of stuff to lift for my own custom sci-fi games. They also just released the Heart of the Fury campaign to Kickstarter backers - so that might be a useful resource. I haven't looked at in any depth yet, but it's written by Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan who is usually good at that sort of thing.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Brainiac Five posted:

Then, uh, a significant part of play in any RPG doesn't consist of gameplay, such as any time you play out a conversation.

You've phrased this like you think it isn't true.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah but that's tied to a specific setting and the rules have their own focus (not to mention that the game becomes about running jobs for megacorps instead of taking over the city.)

Like I'd want a light system but one that has a solid structure for taking/holding territory from other gangs and getting money and assets from that.

This sound like a hack for Blades in the Dark. It already has a structure around acquiring holdings, and reputation with other factions/gangs.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

What is Kingdom Death even. I cannot understand the demand for it. I wish I had market research on the customer base, probably because on some level I enjoy recoiling in horror.

I know one guy who bought it and he says the design is good, and that the dick monsters and boobarians are only a small part of the game. But GIS for Kingdom Death only gives me titty-studded dickwolves.

Your friend is right, except for the part about the design being good. The design is loving terrible.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Helical Nightmares posted:

I’m looking to make a list of all the rpgs and rpg supplements that tackle the subject of base building, domain management or organization building.

So what am I missing from this list?

Green Law of Varkith has rules for running a guild in Dungeon World.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
The Nightmares Underneath is an OSR game with some light rules for establishing ties to local businesses and organisations. Its not so much about building your own, as about developing roots in the community.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

The Berzerker posted:

I want to join a regular D&D game done online with roll20 or something like that but I don't know how to play D&D. I have played some Through the Breach (like, 2 sessions) and that's about it. Before I try to join a game and have everyone hate me for my ignorance of rules etc., is there a good primer online that I could read to understand the game a little more? (I am guessing 4e or 5e, whatever is closer to TTB?). I didn't know where to post this.

Apparently this got lost in political compass chat. There are threads for 4E and 5E D&D, and you will probably get better answers there. The 4E thread is usually less volatile than the 5E one. Don't know enough about Through the Breach to say what edition is more similar. If you are into using miniatures, 4E has better rules for it.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is anyone familiar with the Advanced Fighting Fantasy RPG? It's on Bundle of Holding right now. I know it started off as a line of CYOA-type books, but apparently they made it into a full-on corebook and I'm wondering what that's like.

I have the core book, Titan, Out of the Pit and Sorcery. A lot of that is nostalgia. I had (and still have) the original Dungeoneer book as a kid.

I've only played it a couple of times.

It is pretty simple for the most part. All characters have a stat called Skill. You also have small "s" skills with ratings on in the +1-3 kind of range. When you make a check for stuff out of combat you try and roll under Skill+skill on 2d6.

In combat you roll 2D6+Skill+skill vs your opponent and want to roll high. The combat rules are a bit clunky because there really aren't rules for movement and positioning (since they don't exist in gamebooks). Its easy enough to elide that stuff, but by default the combat is basically Final Fantasy.

There are several magic systems, that generally involve your Magic and Stamina stats.

The main rules have some kind-of neat guidance for custom races and a fun dungeon creation system based on rolling d6s and drawing rooms based on the physical positions of the rolled dice.

Titan is a pretty neat setting book, and Out of the Pit has some interesting monster descriptions. Particularly if you like 80s British fantasy sensibilities.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

How much of art in the books is by Russ Nicholson? This is extremely important, I am already leaning towards purchasing

A good portion. I counted about a dozen pieces in each of the Core Rules and Titan that I am pretty confident are Nicholson. Plus a bunch of little filler illustrations that look like they might be him. I'm sure he's got stuff in the others too. I do have to say that the artwork reproduction in the printed books is very washed out. Don't know how the pdfs look.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

I somehow read what you wrote as "...the cover has some kind of silhouette of a dragon in black over a red background" and I spent 10 minutes going "That sounds like Into The Odd but there's no dragon on the cover of that".

I did the same thing.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Kestral posted:

Mouse Guard's corebook is written the way it is because Luke was explicitly reaching out to audiences who had never played an RPG before, and would discover the game through cross-promotion with the comic. It's meant to teach a reader with absolutely zero gaming experience how to play a fairly complex RPG, and it's actually really good at that. For people who have a lot of experience with game manuals, it reads strangely.

I found the 2nd Edition easy to read and grasp on first read through (although I had read Torchbearer, and struggled, and BW beforehand). I find that the Mouse Guard book is very badly organised for reference at the table. Nothing seems to be in the section of the book it ought to be in--or the rules are weirdly split across different parts of the book.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Arivia posted:

Feng Shui, maybe?

It definitely has car combat rules. Not sure how close they model Fast and the Furious.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

On that note, I do wonder why Goodman Games's attempt to expand their Dungeon Crawl Classics line into 4e apparently was so bad that Goodman became a staunch anti-4e partisan.

I mean, not being able to produce player-facing content probably didn't matter all that much to them since DCC was never about that, and then DCC's focus on dungeon crawling would on its face seem to be perfect for 4e.

Was the writing just that bad? Did people just not twig on it because of 4e as a whole?

This is speculation, as I haven't read any of the 4E adventure, but the from looking at DCC RPG stuff the kinds of adventures their writers produce would not easily fit into 4E without a change in approach to adventure design. I suspect it was a bad fit for how the designed dungeons.

For example, the climax to Sailors on the Starless Sea (one of the early, and quite good) DCC RPG adventure is the level 0 characters having to a ascend a ziggurat with like 30 beastmen on it, and fighting them is a real possibility. There are ways to handle that scenario on 4E, but one of them isn't to say "there are 30 beastmen on the ziggurat, be prepared to roll initiative".

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
There's always The Sense of the Sleight of Hand Man. Seems to offer some of what is being described.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Jackard posted:

Picked up Torchbearer with the intent of running it for my group but I'm only familiar with d20 systems like 3E/4E/13A and this book is sort of difficult to read.

Where should I be starting?

I had a much easier time understanding Torchbearer after I had read Mouse Guard. Which is not the most useful advice unfortunately.

Watching some of the linked actual play stuff should help.

The thing I found is that system has a bunch of interlocking systems and procedures which won't apply to every test you make when playing but that you need to grasp when reading the rules. This makes is super dense on first read through.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there an application that would let you split off individual PDF pages into their own PDFs, merge separate PDFs into single PDFs, and rearrange the pages on a PDF?

Any version of Adobe Acrobat (not Reader) will do all of this.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

So I am not all to familiar with modern/supernatural RPGs, and I'm looking for recommendations.

I've been kicking around a campaign that will go straight into the modern kinds of high-weirdness supernatural/pseudoscience stuff - kind of a full-on theosophy/hollow earth/Lovecraft/ufo/cryptid/ancient alien/etc. campaign.

I am positive that there is tons of support for a game like this, but I really only have the Lovecraft part covered and I'm looking for something a little more pulp-ish.

What would be a good system for it? I am leaning towards something like Savage Worlds, but am open to other suggestions!

The new edition of Call of Cthulhu has a pulp supplement. It defaults to the 1930s, however. I'm sure some of it could be used for a more modern setting. That all supposes you like CoC's core mechanics though.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

As far as historical settings go, everything between [A Vague Notion of What Constituted the Middle Ages] and the latter half of the 19th century is starkly neglected.

Maybe this is a historical accident based on the prevailing trends in mainstream media, and a hundred years from now, everyone will be watching movies and TV shows about 18th century Europe and a massively popular subgenre about fantasy precolonial Africa.

I'm working on a PbtA game about 17th century monster hunters. Whenever I run a playtest, I try to give people a quick overview of significant historical events from the period and some info about technology and such (at a pretty basic level, as I'm not an expert) but I am always struck by how almost every player's expectations about setting details are 200 years too early or 200 years to late. If it isn't high middle ages then it must be the Victoria era!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Spiteski posted:

That can probably be attributed to a relatively smaller pool of popular fiction taking place in that era.
Most everyone I game with wants to recreate some sort of fiction they've read or seen or played in and 1600s doesn't have a lot of stuff that lots of people would come into contact with.

This is definitely a big part of it. I've struggled with good entertainment references to help people get oriented. It mostly ends up being real specific stuff like A Field In England or The VVitch.

The most effective thing I've come across in terms of giving people the right idea is probably the Three Musketeers.

• Locked thread