Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
So, I'm trying to setup a meetup for a game on meetup.com as someone suggested that. Do I need to set a location and time or can I keep that floating?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Am I alone in feeling all anime trpgs are disappointing?

Covok
May 27, 2013

grassy gnoll posted:

Ryuutama, TBZ, Shinobigami and Golden Sky Stories all own bones.

Anima's pretty bad, for what that's worth.

I'll give you those, somewhat. Never played Ryuutama or Shinobigami but those do seem good. By Anima do you mean Anima or Anima: Beyond Fantasy?

Still, most seem pretty disappointing and even those listed don't make me feel like I'm playing an anime.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I kind of want to find some folks to play Valor with but the game looks sort of abandoned.

I do think it is abandoned. Also, that one just seems like an okay tactical combat game. Outside the aesthetic, don't know if it is really "anime."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Eh, I don't know. You guys make a good point: anime literally means cartoon. Maybe that's the problem. A lot of anime games don't focus. Might be better if they were like "This is a battle manga out of shonen jump" or "this is a romcom like love hina or something equally as terrible." Maybe that's why I never feel "it" from anime games.

Also, yeah, goons can't shut the gently caress up about jojos.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ominous Jazz posted:

Jojo is the best super hero comic, period.

Panic at the Dojo, Monster Hearts, Breakfast Cult, those are all anime rear end games, right?

edit: VVVV stuck in the 90s describes a whole lot of the overlap of anime fans and trad games fans

Panic In The Dojo: Yes

Monster Hearts: gently caress no, that's a twilight game

Breakfast Cult: Maybe

Covok
May 27, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

replace the spooky stuff with swords and you've got utena

It literally started life as a Twilight joke game before it was developed to be something serious.

Covok
May 27, 2013

grassy gnoll posted:

Anima is, to the best of my understanding, a ~*brand*~ of faux-anime games. Beyond Fantasy is the RPG variant, and here's it's character sheet.

Action packed!

Uh, that's not the Anima Beyond Fantasy character sheet. That's Eoris char sheet. Beyond Fantasy has a chart on the right hand sized so you can precalculate your percent damage.

Covok
May 27, 2013

grassy gnoll posted:

Huh. I've seen it labeled as such in multiple places. Oh well, live and learn about terrible character sheets.

Not at my home computer so I'm limited in how I can respond, but here is page one of its actual char sheet:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Mr.Misfit posted:

My eyes! The burning! MAKE IT STOOOOHOOOOP!

Seriously, those are not the worst sheets Iīve ever seen in TG, but good, they arenīt. Why are the so dense? They look and feel incredibly dense!

In the case of the later, it might be related to the fact you need to reference a chart that takes up an entire bag whenever you need to calculate damage.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ettin posted:

Two of the characters are literally from Death Note!!

Who?

Elfgames posted:

Twilight is anime as gently caress, two really handsome dudes deeply in love with a bland everyday girl also they're a werewolf and a vampire.

Meh, it's just trashy American teen romance. The fact it's identical trashy Japanese teen romance is a reality of the human condition.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Flashy dude who can't stop scheming is Light-o and the sugar-powered detective is L.

Oh, really. Never caught that.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Plutonis posted:

Yeah it's absolutely a matter of tone. I'm in a game that's pretty much Persona 4 the tabletop rpg and it uses D&D 4E as the system with only a few minor homebrew.

Tone can, however, be reinforced through the rules itself and that can be important to the experience.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Which game system was the one that accounted for vaginal depth?

Fatal.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Mr.Misfit posted:

Heīs not wrong though, you know. TG might need another Competition Thread like the one from past October like "Make a-not-lovely Anime RPG". Despite its flawed premise, we could see some very interesting things come out of this =)....hmmm

It'd probably be cheating to use my unfinished Friendship, Effort, Victory game, wouldn't it? Then again, it'd probably lose.

Covok
May 27, 2013

NorgLyle posted:

Is it post-apocalyptic anime romance at a school for super mutants? Cause that would be the best.

No, but Ewen Cluney made that game already. You can find it on his blog, I think.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Elfgames posted:

it's name would be based on the shounen jump motto

It isn't even based on it because its actual name is just Friendship, Effort, Victory.

Covok
May 27, 2013

https://twitter.com/icp/status/819296817401778176

Covok
May 27, 2013

Gobbeldygook posted:

I was sure you were going to link the d20 Insane Clown Posse game

http://www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=223

...Why?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

:lol:

The first .hack anime at least was atmospheric, even if the story was a bit... light.

I mean, that's questionable. Outside like the occasional menu and digital graphics effect, it looked like a fantasy show.

Halloween Jack posted:

From what I know of their work, ICP's early albums are power fantasy narratives about fixing society with violent vigilantism, complete with masks and codenames. It's a pretty basic violent superhero fantasy; no surprise they have fans who would want to make a game out of it.

Huh, fair point, really. God, now I want to read an actual play of this game from hardcore ICP guys. Holy poo poo, I need that in my life now. Do they fight the concept of magnetism at some?

Covok
May 27, 2013

What's the best F20 (fantasy d20) game?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Spiderfist Island posted:

Sort of, but it's more that Glorantha as a setting is huge as the Guide to Glorantha's size indicates, and making all cultures and locations have meaningful mechanical support and detail in a single rulebook would probably make a given RuneQuest/HeroQuest/etc. book ten times its size. The Dragon Pass area has always been the initial focus of most Glorantha RPGs because it's kind of the major battleground of the coming apocalypse, and so whenever a new edition/game comes out the initial focus of the core rules and supplements goes to giving mechanical support to the local cultures. The Lunar Empire and its affiliated cultures/subcults is pretty well detailed within all the setting material released, but not within the game mechanics compared to the Orlanthi, Praxians, or even Trolls. The northern continent of Genertela alone has a ton of different cultures in it that get a lot of short shrift mechanically, let alone the ocean islands and the south (Pamaltela).

Ironically enough, the first part of Glorantha to be written by Greg Stafford back in the 1960s wasn't Dragon Pass- it was Loksalm and the Western culture. The funny thing about the West is that when it was detailed in the original supplements, it was done under crunch time by another guy and so they filled a lot of the art and descriptions with western fantasy filler. The Mongoose edition you're reading then continued to portray the Malkioni as being medieval europeans in a bronze age fantasy world. It wasn't until recently that the style and fluff for the Western cultures got re-done as being closer to the original vision, with more of a Hellenistic / Greco-Bactrian look and a kind of Neoplatonic/Theosophic Jewish Kabbalah as the state religions. This apparently was a big deal in the fandom, but I personally got into the setting very recently (~2 years) so I automatically prefer nuWest to oWest.

The West canonically looks more like this now.

I know that Godbound is an OSR-style system, but does it use a roll-under or a roll-above resolution system? I know that Kevin Crawford is a lot better than most OSR designers at including more modern mechanics but I've never read any of his stuff.

IIRC, roll above. The skill system does some reverse engineering to merge roll above and roll under your stats (minus atribute from 20, that is your target number to roll above for skill checks)

Covok
May 27, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

I made a thread for it and nobody posted in it and that made me feel sad and bad.

Where? I would post there.

Also, looks like there hasn't any new big F20 games since most of the answers to that questions were the sames one from a while ago. Shouldn't be that surprised as, while many come out, most are bad.

TheSoundNinja posted:

Well, having gotten a response from DriveThruRPG to offer prizes, the February Trad Games Design Contest thread is live! Feel free to sign-up and suggest ideas for Anime Genres for me to draw from. I already have 9, but more would make it more interesting. Also, DTRPG offered to up the available prizes based on how many people enter.

So enter already, and prove that you're better than Guardians of Order and Studio Gonzo.

Entered.

Guardians of Order? More like Guardians are poorer B-because I'm better at this than them. Which I will prove through the entry. To the contest. Of which I applied. Uh...:smug:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Mr. Maltose posted:

I do like the first post complaining about playtesting like its some mad new idea and not a rule almost every TG contest has had.

As someone who ran one of those contests, much easier, by the by, to get people to do it for each other. Because, oui, can it be a pain if you, the contest holder, do it all your own with your own group. Takes a while and your players might get annoyed at you.

gradenko_2000 posted:

As far as "new hotness", a number of us (including you, didn't Libertad! host that oneshot?) are enthusiastic about Shadow of the Demon Lord, although that doesn't use a d20.

And then there's also Godbound, but it's somewhat more "high-powered" than "standard F20"

Ah, right, yeah, those games. Though, to be honest, while it was a fun one shot, I don't get the hotness for SotDL.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Harrow posted:

What fetish does Zenyatta pander to? I really want to meet the person who sees a pseudo-zen robo-monk and goes "this is my fetish"

The most recent episode of Extra Credits proved people have a fetish for people with more than one set of arms. So, there ya go.

Covok
May 27, 2013

They're making an official Princess Bride RPG. In 2017. This is inconceivable! No really, it is. Like, what makes this movie special for its own game? Also, it hasn't been culturally relevant in a long while. :psyduck:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Elfgames posted:

so someone in the contest got "shounen" as their genre, a category ranging from dragonball to death note

I'm kind of doubling down on the troupe of young, hot-blooded dream driven heroes face a great threat together through friendship, effort, and victory. I'm doubling down on the "narrow focus is the best for game design" and kind of keeping things to shows with similar setups like Naruto, One Piece, Hero Academia, and Bleach. Yeah, I know Bleach wasn't that great, but it is a good source for the kind of things I've decided to focus on. Trying to focus on a few things:
  • Ensure heroes and villains are within the themes of Shueshia battle comics
  • Give a feeling of power and progression
  • Keep it simple because this is a contest and I only got a month
  • Enforce the narrative rules of the genre
  • Enforce the arc structure of these kinds of stories

My main worry is that the core mechanic's formula might be a pain and that my choice of dice pools might gently caress me from a math standpoint. Like, while the "Generals get the same Power Level as the number of Arcs completed and Big Bads get that number +1 as their Power Level" should equal out with "Power Level goes up for every character per arc completed" but it gets weird in extreme.

Covok fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 27, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

What were the best boardgames released in 2016?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

That Wisdom calculation is the best thing I've read all week. The Charisma one is the second best.

that's pretty great. "If you waste all your time doing D&D, lower your wisdom score"

Covok
May 27, 2013

It is a crying shame there are no Dark Sun isometric RPGs.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I mean, it's a forgone conclusion that, if the Dem voters don't get into shape and VOTE, the Republicans will sweep 2018 and get a supermajority in the Senate and House since the Dems are defending 28 seats and the Republicans are defending like 6. That's why you need to get all your Dem friends to GoTV and demoralize the gently caress out of your Republican friends so they stay home.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Plutonis posted:

*casts Bigby's clenched fist*

Where is the effect where he immediately runs away and sulks about it in his safe space after some rando punches him in the mouth, then, we he goes out into public, a random women does it to him again until all he does now is brag about the Patroits and yell on Twitter?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

I've never seen a wrestling fed have a match that lasts for several 22-minute episodes.

There is not a man alive who could pull that off.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Anyone post Ultimate Muscle yet? The famous wrestling anime?

Covok
May 27, 2013

How do you remove a goon from your buddy list? Added someone on accident.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Why did my 5e thread get locked this time?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Father Wendigo posted:

I'd wager the four or so pages of Ariava and Endie popping off old favorites and new classics like this:

Oh, for gently caress's sake!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

it's not like that thread had otherwise been friendly and charming up until recently, even when people were staying on-topic it was constantly full of paggro sniping towards The Wrong Side and yelling past each other

Yeah, the 5e thread is a mess of edition warring, the last time I popped in to update it (and decided not to bother). I personally don't like 5e, but it gets silly with how much of it is just arguing over the game and talking about how bad it is and how it is the cancer killing the elfgame industry. I mean, really, there are people who stick around it just to talk about how the game sucks and people are wrong for liking it. Like, gonna be the guy and flat out say it: it is silly how much 4e grogs decide to just troll that thread for the sin of the game not being 4e or 4e-like. I know we're a forum to discuss TRPGs, but it's amazing to me how much people can obsess and hate others over an elfgame.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Arivia posted:

I don't hate the people playing 5e. I do hate Mearls, Zak S, and the rest of them, and you know why. Don't pretend 5e is a neutral topic on these forums, something to despairingly cluck our teeth at like Palladium or bad World of Darkness books.

Beyond that, it's not very groggy to talk about how the latest edition of the most popular, best-known roleplaying game is horrible and bad from a creative and design standpoint. It's not just preference. 5e is objectively a bad game, one we've mocked since its introduction on these forums, and it's not stopping. It could be very little like 4e and that would be fine if it was good, which it isn't.

And yeah, it sucks that such a terrible game is the gateway to the hobby. That's also why there's so much conflict in the thread. Tons of new people who haven't played anything other than 5e, who haven't posted here before and don't know TG culture. They just want a peaceful place to talk about the game with other players, but they don't know why this forum doesn't like 5e at all. They want enworld and we're not that, but since it's popular there's a critical mass to make it something they try to enforce.

Yelling at forum users for liking a game isn't sticking it to Zak S, it's just pissing off and scaring away people trying to get into a hobby and grow our community. Zak S is not aware you're doing this and, even if he were, it probably doesn't matter to him. Zak S is a piece of poo poo, but it doesn't then logically justify yelling at people for liking a game because they thought it might be fun.

Covok
May 27, 2013

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Is there a YouTube series out there that would be good to show normies a role playing game in action? Sort of like Wil Wheaton's Tabletop?

You're in luck, my friend, as there are many, many shows out there at the moment that do that very thing. Critical Role is the most popular, but quite a few popular youtubers decided to hop on the D&D bandwagon a while back. I know Roosterteeth has a show, Will Wheaton has one (not D&D, but a D&D-like), and I bet there are others. I've never, personally, watched any of them, but I'm just not that into actual plays.

The ones I know of and that have links (I take no responsibility if they suck as I don't watch these things, personal preference):

Geek and Sundry's Critical Role

Wil Wheaton's Titan's Grave.

Roosterteeth's Heroes and Halfwits.

Also, for voice-only works, I'd suggest the following:

Our Very Own Six Feats Under.

James D'mato's One Shot.

Covok fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Reene posted:

Anyway this isn't to say what Arivia's posting in the 5e thread should or shouldn't look like going forward but it would be nice if all the information about that poo poo was toploaded in the OP or something so at least people stand a chance of being made aware of it when coming in cold without having it dragged out over and over to the general apparent despair of thread regulars.

This can be arranged.

• Locked thread