Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Speaking of Planescape, is the enhanced rerelease of Torment worth checking out if I haven't played the game in years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I'm thinking of ordering a copy of Fiasco. Does IPR do frequent coupon codes? Nothing obvious comes up with a cursory Google search.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Honestly the only D&D alignment I like is the original Law vs. Chaos where they don't map to any individual morality and are mostly just different color jerseys.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

dwarf74 posted:

... And wow, the pre-release just dropped.

Nice. Reading it now.

e: Wow, nice art.

I don't see anything on the website, is there a public release planned after backers get their copies?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

dwarf74 posted:

So I've had a chance to go over Unity. And... I like it. Enough that I'd like my group to try it. It has a lot of good stuff in it, and it's crazy close to the kind of game I think I'd write.

Now, I have no idea how any of this works at the table. So this is all armchair observations.

0. The art is great and the layout is pretty clear. The rules are generally simple, but there are times you'll be referencing a table, during play, like dying or stabilizing an ally.

1. Races are relatively lightweight, similar to 4e but even moreso. They give starting stats (there's 4) and a single racial power. Stats are only slightly adjusted from there. Since the resolution is 2d10 I think every + is probably more important than it is in 4e. Max is +3 for any stat at the start.
2. But nicely enough, attacks and hp are based on whatever a class's main stat is. Defenses are not, however.
3. Classes all have a resource to manage. This powers their 'encounter' abilities. It's rechargeable in combat, and with rests. There are also dailies - termed overdrive abilities.
4. Classes all get a set of features, then a choice between two benefits, and finally abilities. Some of these are passive, some use a resource, and some are basically a daily. Abilities start at a basic level and can be upgraded instead of taking new ones at level up. They're sorted into two tiers - basically low level vs. high level.
5. Players have a pool of resources they accumulate for good, flavorful descriptions. The DM has a pool they gain when the players rest, or gently caress up the world somehow. This pool powers mean monster abilities, and can force, say, the invasion of a demonic horde.
6. Players roll all the dice.
7. There's optional rules for using a grid if you want. :)

Sounds great! Please keep sharing your thoughts as you read and play it.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

That's the character that was made in the creation demo video:

https://youtu.be/dxENHdX8YLc

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Disclaimer: I've only seen the public preview material, so KS backers can correct me if this isn't correct.

I think the core paths are intentionally broad and meant to give players opportunity to add wrinkles of detail to their backstory during play. Trying to cheese the game by only using the ranked highest path all the time seems more like a player issue than a mechanics issue. The tone of things reads like out-of-combat rules are meant to be relatively loose and freeform rather than an engine to model reality, which is fine by me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

IIRC, core paths are supposed to be player created, but there are examples in the core book to use as inspiration or steal if you're lazy/rushed.

• Locked thread