Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I will do my best not to think horrible things about myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Fuego Fish posted:

Been watching a bunch of cowboy stuff lately, and I've still got a bit of an itch to run a PbP, so I gotta ask a question of everyone.

Pretty much any historical genre can be improved by the addition of fantasy stuff or weird tech, if applied judiciously and with an eye for the aestetics.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I feel like a Paranoia game could be fun in a bleak humor kind of way, especially if the players buy into the idea that they're there to screw each other over in pursuit of their hidden agendas, while trying to mantain an appearance of fealty to Alpha Complex and Friend Computer. But I have a weakness for hidden agendas.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

My FLGS has a manual for something called the Cypher system. It says on the back cover that it can handle a great many genres and types of games.

Is anyone familiar with it? Is it any good?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

So The Boss Baby is basically the exact same as Demon: The Descent when you think about it
There are literally no circumstances wherein I want to think about The Boss Baby.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

Aside from Fate (since I'm already considering it) what would be another good system for running Planescape? Keep in mind that I don't want to just do adventures in Sigil, I want to explore the rest of the planes and possibly even make some trips to the Prime.
I know you're already considering Fate, but what if the different planes had their own plane-spanning aspects to underline their features? That'd be neat.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 13, 2017

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I thought the new Monkey Island game was funny. :(

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

hyphz posted:

Sure. So how much harm is it OK to inflict on them? How much is it OK to do? The problem with the "hard move"/"soft move" thing is that there's no actual list of which moves are hard or soft; you can use up PC resources as a soft move.

I figure "how much harm to inflict" depends on the context. Is the hard move happening because the Gunlugger messed up sweet-talking a random enforcer of the hardolder in a pub? It makes sense for the enforcer to have a concealed gun, maybe, but if he had something like a shotgun, the GM should have mentioned that. So you inflict damage "as established", just like the rules say; 1 for the concealed peashooter, 2 or 3 if the GM warned the player in advance that the enforcer had visible firepower on him.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Actually here's a direct quote:

quote:

Here are guidelines for choosing your moves:
Always choose a move that can follow logically from what’s going on in the
game’s 􀃫ction. It doesn’t have to be the only one, or the most likely, but it
does have to make at least some kind of sense.
Generally, limit yourself to a move that’ll (a) set you up for a future harder
move, and (b) give the players’ characters some opportunity to act and
react. A start to the action, not its conclusion.
However, when a player’s character hands you the perfect opportunity
on a golden plate, make as hard and direct a move as you like. It’s not
the meaner the better, although mean is often good. Best is: make it
irrevocable.
When a player’s character makes a move and the player misses the roll,
that’s the cleanest and clearest example there is of an opportunity on
a plate. When you’ve been setting something up and it comes together
without interference, that counts as an opportunity on a plate too.
But again, unless a player’s character has handed you the opportunity,
limit yourself to a move that sets up future moves, your own and the
players’ characters’.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

I don't think I've ever run into someone who cares if the encounter or clue or whatever was carefully placed by me in advance or if I pulled it out my rear end.

Okay, to be perfectly fair I don't agree with this; what that other poster was saying isn't all that weird. As a player, realizing that the GM invented an important plot point at the last second can be take me out of the story. It's like recognizing that the shadow puppets are, in fact, not queens and knights but bits of paper cut to resemble. It's noticing the man behind the green courtain.

If you're really into immersing yourself in the game world, something that reminds you that it's a game and not a world can sting.

PBTA and other games with improvising elements require you to buy in and accept that you're going to either accept their premise or never fully getting immersed in the story. Let's not pretend that this isn't a limitation. I love many of those games but there's something very much satisfying about a "stable", pre-designed world.

Yawgmoth posted:

You can say poo poo here, it's okay.
It's probably a speech-to-text program, they do that.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Scyther posted:

What are the good Fate Core games? (asking everyone, not just Nuns with Guns)

Atomic Robo has a good reputation. Kerberos Club just drips with style and is one of the few ways you can get away with steampunk these days. I haven't actually played them though so I couldn't tell you if they work as intended.
Gods and Monsters mixes bits and pieces of FAE and Fate Core, and it's pretty wonderful, although the language isn't always all that clear.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Yeah, no. The art is good, it serves its purpose and it sets the tone of the game. This is like complaining about chrome and neon lights in a cyberpunk game.

Plutonis posted:

It looks like a Steven Universe fan webcomic

I am not surprised to see someone who finds things too nice and cute to be unpleasant using that as an insult.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 22, 2017

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I'm sorry if I was flippant and got too defensive. I'm just very much in favor of happy, bright fantasy. We need more of it, and I say this as someone who looks at Mortasheen and loves every second of it.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I don't think we have a Spellound Kingdom thread, so I guess I'll have to ask here and hope someone who has played it in the past can help me, as I have a question about it. Help would be appreciated.

The manual seems to imply that income doesn't work by history rules; that is to say, the first point you gain doesn't bring your income to 4, allowing you to roll a d4 for it. Which means that the starting noble can't really choose to improve their income with their starting building; they would need at least 4 points to have any mechanical effect, and all the available buildings only produce 1. That feels really limiting and doesn't make a ton of sense.

Speaking of that, what's the starting income of a noble family supposed to be? I couldn't find it in the manual. Is it 0?

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Aug 17, 2017

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Yes please, give me more REIGN, especially if it's cross-compatible with all the extra material on Stoltze's website.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Arivia posted:

There's a third-party publisher that does kid-appropriate Pathfinder adventures. It's good to get them started with the usual that way they know what's up with gaming.

Yeah, no. This is patently false. Even ignoring all the trap options that an enthusiastic kid an fall into because they sound cool, no 5 years-old is going to want to sit thorugh PF's character generation.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

How is their assessment wrong? It seems pretty spot on to me.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Reene posted:

I was happier before I realized Harry Potter is Centrism But With Wizards.

How so?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I enjoy both OotS and Up to Four Player and even Table Titans. Lead me to the gallows if you wish, but I'll go there with my head held high.

More seriously, UtFP got off to a shaky start but it is at its best when it's just a bunch of (slightly) quirky people playing games. I especially enjoy seeing things from both the players and the characters' point of views.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

so list of games with cool archers:

Strike
Exalted
D&D 4e

I do love MHR but there's really nothing unique about being an archer in that game than being any other kind of unpowered Complication-focused hero

To these I feel obligated to add Spellbound Kingdoms (where archers are not only allowed but expected to do cool trick shots) and Reign (that has a martial path called Eye of Death that turns your archer into a killing machine).

• Locked thread