Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
So anyone else started binge-watching Travelers yet on Netflix? I'm about halfway through, and besides really liking it have been thinking that the premise would work pretty well as a RPG setup. Both in the mission-oriented-but-also-flexible style, and given the presupposition that the team is likely to gently caress up, semi-regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Sion posted:

It's an absurd story but I kind of believe it. This time, I think that the truth is somewhere in the piddle.

As I have learned from President Trump, if it is on twitter it is more likely to be true than anything put out by professional journalists or intelligence operatives.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

It's not a /pol/ prank (that does not necessarily mean it's true)

Apparently the channers were trying to take credit for it in some fashion. Though what little I saw on the subject suggested that those claims were post-facto, and most seemed as shocked as anyone.

That said, I will find something horribly funny if a twitter storm about golden showers brings down the twitter president.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Imperial Star Wars games are my favorite ones, but I think I'm doing it wrong. Mine are less about getting a boner for the awesomeness of the imperial war machine, and more about office politics and the fascist propensity for absurdly complicated and pointless bureaucracy. As well as the propensity for continually fiddling with designs for more and more complicated and expensive equipment. The highlight of the game came when the imperial bureaucrats, having managed to steal, beg, or blackmail enough funds to build the first death star and a kajillion statues to the emperor and the gungan death camps while only half bankrupting the galaxy were thanked for their service by the emperor. And then promptly informed that the next Death Star had to be twice as large with a laundry list of new features that would make all the knowhow and factory tooling to create the first one next to useless.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Goddamnit, I haven't watched or thought about pro wrestling since my college roommate who was into it moved out, and now I'm seriously considering getting a subscription to a japanese show where muscular dudes do acrobatic stunts with blowup dolls.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Covok posted:

Older goons who are used to having a 40+ hour job and trying to game, what is your advise to balance and budget time? I really want to run some more games, but I'm not in college anymore and my schedule is much, much tighter. What do you suggest for scheduling when all weekdays are effectively out and Saturday (until April 15th) is iffy at best? Like, I don't mean for you to give me a number as that is out-and-out unreasonable and arguably impossible. What I mean more is what you'd suggest from experience on how to budget time?

I very, very much prefer IRL and online w/ voice and I can never seem to keep devoted to a PBP for long. On the other hand, now I'm stuck behind a computer all day so maybe PBP is easier than when I used to be more out-and-about all day.

My group generally mixes a weekly game session (ideally) with pbp during the week, usually 3ish or so posts. Since inevitably people have to miss some weeks and/or game gets canceled, it helps keep the flow going and lets people still feel invested even if they've had to miss the regular game for a while.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

I ran a one shot fantasy game once where I had the dwarves be obsessive lumberjacks instead of miners. The players thought that was cute, until they realized I was actually going whole hog with the historical lumberjack bits, and they stumbled into a bunk of dwarves screaming about the hogan boys and playing a game of 'hot rear end'. They got kind of quiet after that. I'm not sure why.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Kwyndig posted:

That's the opposite of most RPGs goal. Hell that's the opposite of what most people consider to be good life goals. Why are you even playing games if you're not going to engage the other players???

I've known two guys along that sort of way of thinking in real life over the years, and both of them pretty much ended up getting blacklisted from all the groups at the FLGS that were around in each case. One got outright banned from the FLGS altogether, though I think that was over some tantrum he threw at a Magic tournament.

It seemed pretty clear that most if not all of those same sorts demanding the masses rise up against the tyranny of GMs back in the day on RPG.net were similarly not getting lots of game invites offline.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Since the gay spartan cosplayers were for the dumb nuvamp playtest, does that mean they can't be referenced? Because the one redeeming thing I could see to all this would be if some enterprising individuals published a whole set of supplements about gay spartan cosplayers rampaging around everywhere in the vampire setting, having gay spartan cosplayer special stats, and some elaborate gay spartan cosplayer backstory.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

senrath posted:

I'm not sure why I was surprised that there are quite a few people in that thread that decided that the group in question were 100% to blame for everything, but I was.

I'm also not sure why I was surprised at the number of people insisting that the GM should be free to do whatever the gently caress they want and the players should just shut up and take it.

What's hilarious about that thread is its a collision between two polar opposite forms of manbabies. You've got the "GM is god, players need to shut up and appreciate my genius" assholes versus the "GMs are petty tyrants, we need players Bills of Rights" dipshits. Normally they just poo poo up threads on their own, but now the stars have aligned and we get to watch them go at it directly.

Which is nice, since like many I was looking forward to wackiness with the juggalo versus "patriot" rallies last weekend, but the juggaloes turned out to have made a cogent argument in a relatively mature fashion and the patriots were a shart. Thankfully, gamers can be counted on to be less emotionally functional than either of those two.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Even being an old fogey, streamed ttRPGs make more sense to me than (some) twitch streaming. Given how wildly off the rails two versions of the same scenario can go depending on the group, there can be a lot of novelty in what goes down playing something yourself versus a group of people you'll never play with. I see the same benefit for Twitch streaming potentially, but given how many games are fairly linear and are going to more or less play the same no matter who's at the controller, its always seemed more narrow to me outside of an e-sports kind of thing.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

NutritiousSnack posted:

Watch Cowboy Bebop and then basically read manga, because anime for the past couple of years is geared solely to children, perverts, and people into specific weird things.

Wait, is manga better for this? Asking seriously; I just assumed it would be like western comics vs. movies where the comics tended to crawl up their own asses and have lots more bizarro poo poo while the movies tried to streamline everything into a coherent narrative.

Like, I don't hate anime, but I don't really have the patience to sift through all the pandering crap anymore to find the gems. Plus the tendency of animes to show just a part of whatever manga they're based off of, often with very little resolution in the show, gets really annoying. If manga avoids a lot of that poo poo, I'd be interested.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Flavivirus posted:

Not to mention Frog God games had a Humble Bundle deal, and Matt MacFarland is still plugging away at his kickstarter and is on the board of the Indie Game Developers Network with no acknowledgement of the accusations to either group. :sigh:

Looks like things are going to blow over, as the more cynical posters always predicted.

Its the bizarre upside down nature of the internet, but GR loving up so vocally and publicly was probably the most helpful thing in driving change. Without that visible target acting like a dipshit, the outrage momentum dies, and few groups are going to take action if they don't see a big outcry for it. MacFarland got that right off the bat and immediately went dark. Once GR stopped digging a hole for itself and put a pause on things, there wasn't another driver.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

gradenko_2000 posted:

If anyone's been reading through or even playing Fragged Kingdoms, I'd love to get some first impressions.

Others talked a lot about the more "adventurer" side, but the other introduction in FK is the holdings system. Since I'm a) a sucker for kingdom management type rules and b) actually debating how to handle such in an upcoming exalted 3rd game where they are lacking, that's what I've been focused on reading so far.

Like the other fragged games, FK has both your standard individual character stuff, and then some sort of collaborative thing that the party all chips in for (space ship in the core game, pirate ship in seas, no idea in aeternum since I haven't started reading it). In this case, its holdings, and at a very basic level they work much like the aforementioned ships, though maybe not as central to the game. You pool a particular resource, in this case renown from your adventures, then "spend it" investing in attribute points and various perks or upgrades. Your renown also gives you individual perks, mostly to do with your reputation and networks of contacts/allies, so the two kind of dovetail together; by the time you have enough renown to "buy" a stronghold, you've also achieved enough fame that explains why people are coming to work for you and whatnot.

You have 3 resource producing attributes (fields, hills, and woods) and three attributes that describe your populace and infrastructure (prosperity, security, and loyalty). These in turn provide you trade goods per session, and allow you to take various actions once per week per PC who has invested in the holding. Most of these actions provide you some other resource, such as additional trade goods, wealth, new retainers. You can also levy both your peasants and trained militia for massed combat, though to be honest I haven't looked at those rules in much depth yet.

Overall, the system seems reasonable, if a little basic. So far I haven't seen much that indicates how holdings link together, though I'm still reading. There are perks regarding royal titles that seem to imply multiple holdings, but what's a "normal" amount for that I'm not sure. Kind of like the exact numbers that "bodies" or "crew" represent, it may be deliberately vague to let the group set the scope of demographics for their game. I think we'll probably fool around with it and see how adaptable it is to a basic system if my exalted group decides they want a stronghold or what have you.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

The Malthusian posted:

It needs to raise $70000 more in 4 days to become real, so we are probably safe.

I can't imagine it will be difficult to get people to pledge that much to fund a quarter million dollar 5 minute trailer for an animated webcomic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

slap me and kiss me posted:

A public compliment? This is fuel for literally months more of development!

Can you unpack what you mean by difficult to chew through? I'm sure interested in hearing stumbling blocks so I can make it easier for people to pick up.

Dunno what the OP meant, but my experience with the Fragged games is that the lists o' traits can take a while to parse through upfront. They're presented without commentary or much description in most cases, so the reader has to kind of work through in their head what each will effectively do in game. Contrast that with other games where powers/traits/etc. usually have flavor text or commentary that describes at least generally what the design intent of the object in question is.

Mind, I don't know if its a disadvantage so much as that it makes the learning curve a little different from most other RPGs. I think it does have several advantages doing it this way.
It avoids the problem a lot of RPG descriptive text has where the narration gives you a false or misleading impression, for one. It also makes it very easy to reference mechanically once you already know the game for another. Its just in that learning bit, where you're trying to absorb what traits are supposed to do alongside all the other mechanics, that it can take a little longer, and a lot more flipping back and forth between the base rules and the traits, to puzzle through.

• Locked thread