Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
In the latest KD update marvel as Poots writes at the level of a 7th grader and misspells the name of his own expansion five different ways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know where else to say this, but holy poo poo Godbound is really good. The FATAL and friends writeup of Shadow of the Demon Lord made me look at it over on DTRPG and while I was picking that book up I figured I'd get the free version of Godbound too because I remembered it getting some good reviews. I was pretty unimpressed with Stars without Number and Silent Legions, but Godbound just seems fantastic.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm digging through Shadow of the Demon Lord and theres a lot of cool stuff but so far I've noticed:

-the author seems to have a scat fetish
-seriously poo poo is everywhere
-playing with poo poo
-asslicking
-artwork of a cigar smoking wizard in jorts riding a bubble through space

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Arivia posted:

considering one of sotdl's big inspirations is a game infamous for its shitfarmer classes, I'm not sure what you expected

I haven't found the small but vicious dog yet :smith:

Actually its pretty good. I was more repulsed by the jorts though.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Already drafting multiple blood type charts, brb

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Yawgmoth posted:

Okay someone link this pic because that sounds amazing.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm on a bit of a SotDL kick at the moment, and was wondering if anyone could tell me if the Forbidden Rules book was good//what the "guidelines for running abstract combats" entails and whether that would be a good thing for PbP games.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Serf posted:

I love Forbidden Rules. There are lots of variant things that make healing easier/harder, simplify weapons and armor, expand the social conflict system into full blown social combat, give you random stats at character generation, bring in skills and power points. etc. It is a fantastic book for hacking SotDL.

Abstract Combat is very clearly based on Fate's system, with zones replacing terrain, abstracting out ranged attacks to either the zone you're in, an adjacent zone, or any zone. Free attacks are handled well, only triggering when you leave a zone without using a retreat action, and only from 1d3 creatures. AoE spells and abilities are changed to mimic the ranged attacks system. I think you could use it for PBP pretty easily, sacrificing crunchiness for speed and ease of use. The core book says things can be played out theater of the mind style, but when everything is measured in yards and has precise ranges, that doesn't seem true. Forbidden Rules delivers a system that can accomplish that.

That sounds pretty great, I feel like I'm going to wind up picking up everything in the line, I've been really impressed. Between Godbound and SotDL this week I'm really excited to try something new.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

SunAndSpring posted:

I made a thread for it and nobody posted in it and that made me feel sad and bad.

I just discovered it last week and I can confirm the system seems incredibly rad.

I'm prepping to run a game of SotDL but I just can't stop laughing at how bewildering the poo poo fetishism is. I mean, really:

quote:

If you are a living creature, you can use an action to place the azeen near one of your orifices. You take 1d6 damage as slithers through the opening to burrow into your body, where it lodges itself in your guts to feed on your excrement. The GM secretly rolls a d20 to determine how many days it lurks inside you. At the end of this time, the azeen dies and erupts from your body in an explosive bowel movement that strikes with no warning.

While the azeen is inside you, you can use an action to cause a toothed lament to spool out from the palms of each of your hands. Each lament functions as a whip until you use an action to cause the laments to retract.

Shove something up your rear end to eat your poo poo and give you magic parasite whips.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

SuperKlaus posted:

Well yes guys I know that. I want to know if any sources go into more detail.

Kolat spotted.

Also its an orientalist fantasy, go hog wild. As far as I know none of the published materials get into Samurai financial planning. In reality they did have to take care of their own finances, but obviously were entitled due to often being paid in land (which they would then have the ability to use to generate wealth). Many of these matters were handled by their wives, and as the role of samurai declined many went into farming as primary occupations (as well as professional trades or bureaucracy).

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Len posted:

I shouldn't​ back this because I've already got a bunch of Trail of Cthulhu books I haven't got to use but that looks and sounds so cool.

I really loved Trail of Cthulhu but I have had such miserable experiences with Pelgrane and their kickstarters. I never received any of my Nights Black Agents stuff, and received no support or even responses after a while of trying to solve the issue. It was like 5 years ago at this point, but it still makes me really salty and I haven't supported any of their products since.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent bear rpg

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I was browsing random stuff on DTRPG for ??? reasons, and saw something new for Godbound, which I remembered quite liking. Let's take a looooooooook

A Reviewer posted:

Honestly, while there are a few bits of entertaining writing in this adventure, this really isn't something I could ever feel comfortable with running for ANY group. For those who might be interested in spite of this, I don't want to simply give away the plot, but I will say that the book devotes several pages to describing a serial rape which is central to the adventure.

Sine Nomine posted:

The element in question is a rework of Feng Menglon's 17th-century story "Prince Wang Burns Down Precious Lotus Monastery", from his Xingshi Hengyan. While some groups may not be comfortable with historical fiction and the outcomes those works celebrated, that's... kind of the point. The PCs are Godbound. Something terrible has happened, something also terrible is going to happen, and they have the power to change things to a better and more humane outcome. Some groups may prefer not to play an adventure where rape has been a prior ingredient to the situation, and those groups are indeed probably best off not playing this. Other groups get a great deal of enjoyment out of introducing a serial rapist and the social mores they manipulate to their own personal pantheon of divine vengeance.

Well, alright then. That was a pretty effective warning.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

gradenko_2000 posted:

If I'm not mistaken, Hero Kids is also targeted at young players, though my impression is that it's still very much D&D-ish, just with "simpler mechanics"

And then there's also Dagger for Kids, which is an OSR-based "for-kids" game, which ends up being hilariously unsuited for the purpose because everything uses d6's, so of course a level 1 character has d6 HP and all damage is a d6 roll. Hope you enjoy dying in one hit!

Kids have to learn early that life is nasty, brutish, and short

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Paizo is a company that decided to reference Deliverance in its first adventure path very directly and is all too happy to tout it as one of their finest achievements. I think they're large enough to be a multi-headed hydra where some parts of the company legit care about being progressive, and there is a push in that direction, but it's just not company-wide and so you still have this poo poo floating to the top every now and then.

They also got in on teaming up with the Kingdom Death dude which was kind of a big red warning sign for me earlier this year.

I mean bad game recognize bad game and all that

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
L5R is one of those things I remember loving as a kid but is actively embarrassing looking at it now, specifically the depths of orientalism in the "this is what John Wick thinks of Asia" sense. Whether its hilariously inappropriate language/slurs being borrowed, "realism" that is anything but, or artwork that mostly looks like white people in cosplay, it just comes across as skeevy to me now in a way that wasn't apparent ~15+ years ago.

FFG is probably going to be a bit better with it than AEG, probably.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Nuns with Guns posted:

Dusklings are like wild fey things that channel Incarnum. Dark ones are the human equivalent to drow or the million other underground humanoid races.

Never trust things of the earth.

Root vegetables are chaotic evil.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ProfessorCirno posted:

Dungeon Meshi is legit good way beyond the D&D aspect. It's well drawn, the characters are fun, there's some pretty good eye to detail, etc. The D&D factor of it is fun, but also it's really not about D&D. That's just...kinda the setting, I guess. Which, of course, is why it's legit good - because there actually IS a "beyond the D&D aspect."

ITT actual legit manga recommendations apparently.

I just bought a copy of it b/c of this thread, if its not good I'm going to be disappointed in you. :colbert:

Really though, that sounds like a great concept, I'm definitely onboard to give it a try.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Blockhouse posted:

speaking of betas!

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/legend-of-the-five-rings-roleplaying-game/

e: first thing that jumps out at me in the setting stuff is that they ditched eta and now call the lowest class burakumin

quote:

There is a third class, called burakumin, or “hamlet people,” who are sometimes known as hinin, or non-people. Due to their proximity to death or dishonorable acts, these criminals, torturers, undertakers, butch- ers, and tanners are considered unfit as companions for samurai save in the direst of circumstances. Even a kindly lord’s speech might be discolored by the pejorative term eta, a slur meaning “abundance of filth.”

Burakumin are considered deeply unclean, and associating with them too often requires the samurai to undertake special purification rituals. Burakumin must live in special villages on the outskirts of society, and they are deeply afraid of samurai. More so than bonge, burakumin can be killed for no reason at all, without any consequences. Testing newly forged blades by cutting down the nearest hinin isn’t uncommon.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Plutonis posted:

It's steeped in historicity? Although I don't know if Burakumin were specially singled out for 'Tsujigiri'.

I'm too lazy to do anything but quote wikipedia here but it was a practice that arose out of the country being in chaos and was otherwise forbidden.

quote:

Tsujigiri (辻斬り or 辻斬, literally crossroads killing) is a Japanese term for a practice when a samurai, after receiving a new katana or developing a new fighting style or weapon, tests its effectiveness by attacking a human opponent, usually a random defenseless passer-by, in many cases during nighttime. The practitioners themselves are also referred to as tsujigiri.

In the medieval era, the term referred to traditional duels between bushi, but in the Sengoku period (1467–1600), widespread anarchy caused it to degrade into indiscriminate murder, permitted by the unchecked power of the bushi. Shortly after order was restored, the Edo government prohibited the practice in 1602. Offenders would receive capital punishment. The only known incident where a very large number of people were indiscriminately killed in the Edo period was the 1696 Yoshiwara spree killing (吉原百人斬り), where a wealthy lord had a psychotic fit and murdered dozens of prostitutes with a katana. He was treated by authorities as a spree killer and sentenced to death. Later, a kabuki play was made about the incident.

It basically just seems like, yeah it happened, but you're putting it front and center on one of the very first pages of the book, as a usual, accepted practice.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Plutonis posted:

Yep, L5R is bad at Japanese history all right.

Yeah which is why

Plutonis posted:

It's steeped in historicity? Although I don't know if Burakumin were specially singled out for 'Tsujigiri'.

is a bullshit argument.

It's not Japan, its a fantasy world, where they've chosen to highlight some of the worst aspects of the real world- while at the same time the default assumption is that you are a member of the highest caste that benefits from this arrangement and defends the social order/celestial order whereby poor people are target practice.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Covok posted:

Correction: Play Ninja Crusade 2nd Edition. :)

Or don't because no one ever wants to do that, despite how cool it is. :(

Try to sell it? I mean, you had my attention at L5R without baggage, but I've got no idea what it is other than it uses d10s also

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm gonna make you an offer you can't refuse

slides two sheep across the table

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

gradenko_2000 posted:

I saw a new product today: Magic the Gathering Duel Decks, which are a pack of two 60-card decks intended to be played against each other.

The idea was so good I was kinda floored. It seems perfect to bring these along to play pickup games with my nerdy friends that understand MTG, but don't get heavily into it because of the cost of the hobby as a whole.

Is it? Would you consider this a buy as a sort of self-contained toy?

Duel Decks are pretty fun and self-contained. I've got several of them that I keep around to treat as a standalone game. They've been releasing them for quite a few years now, and the older ones can be very expensive but most of the newer ones are like $20.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Warhammer fans are the worst

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I have fond memories of the Witcher but I think that might have to do with having bought it at the same time as Hellgate London and thats enough to make anything look better in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Getsuya posted:

The core system is Saikoro Fiction, which is the same one used in Shinobigami which came out recently in English.

Wait, Shinobigami came out in English? I was interested and when I checked the kickstarter page for updates I just saw them hyperventilating about North Korea, and blaming missile fears for delays which, as someone else who lives in Japan, is pretty ridiculous.

• Locked thread