Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Also if you can now do 25% of a level 20 monster's health bar you can instantly do 100% of a level 5 or 10 or whatever monster's health bar and that matters a lot when level 10 monsters are things like "elite city guard".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Elfgames posted:

except you don't do that in 4e because if you're more than a few levels over the enemy then they can't hit you and you're either spending 5-10 minutes on a pointless fight you can't lose or you use the level x city guards and you're back to doing 25% damage.

and maybe i'm weird but "bigger numbers" isn't a huge draw to me if it doesn't matter, i'd much prefer smaller more meaningful numbers

Hey buddy, how about you try role playing, not roll playing? If your character's nearly impossible to hit by, and capable of trivially one-shotting, hordes of basic goblins or kobolds or soldiers or journeyman wizards, that makes a dramatic difference to their place in the story and the way they interact with NPCs even if no one ever, ever rolls initiative. Yeah, it'd be really unlikely for a bunch of assassins or soldiers or whatever to try their luck against some level 20 characters, and except for maybe one time for funsies you'd likely not bother rolling it out at all, but that means your party of adventurers can stomp around like Godzillas where they used to need to creep softly.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Serf posted:

Sir this is a Mcdonalds drive thru

Thank you for role playing as instructed.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

(     . __ . ) . o O (race)

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Plutonis posted:

This disingenous 'can't believe I'm agreeing with him' crap is staring to annoy me after the fifth time.

Never thought I'd be saying this, bu

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

5e is the second best edition of D&D.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I've always thought that 5e is less actively bad than incredibly disappointing. It wouldn't really take serious design chops or problem solving skills to give fighters/rogues/rangers powers of the same importance as the ones wizards and clerics get, just time and the basic conviction that it'd be a good idea. Then you'd have a serviceable game which is written more obtusely than 4e was but requires considerably less overhead and accountancy at mid to higher levels of play.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

P.d0t posted:

From what I've read of gradenko's excellent detective work, at the outset of 4e the design team went in with the idea that all classes would have powers; from the monster math (if not the early adventure design) it was also pretty clear that their intention was that PCs should actually be capable of handling what you throw at them.

5e throws all that out of the window. As much as I admire the ways in which its core math is a direct refinement of 4e's (albeit I don't have complete faith in the AC or Saves' scaling) the change back to a game based around the 3.5 spell list was a huge backpedal from something I thought made 4e a big improvement over its predecessor.

5e isn't as machined as well, but even 4e's monster math and calibration ended up wonky and needing multiple monster manuals or whatever to refine. There was also vastly more variance in raw offensive and defensive power between hypothetical 4e PCs and hypothetical 5e PCs. It doesn't reaaaally worry me that CR is a crapshoot or whatever.

I just want fighters to get dailies back! gently caress!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Asimo posted:

I just want Warlords. :colbert:

Less smarmy, the class really was the perfect addition to the game, emulated a shitload of fantasy hero archetypes that previous editions didn't really capture well, and had a lot of fun potential concepts and mechanics. And seeing it basically discarded before 4e was even halfway through it's life due to Mearls' dumb grog bullshit is aggravating.

If there's a single class called "wizard" with like every extant arcane spell, then the "fighter" gets, at minimum, all of fighter and all of warlord from 4e.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

4e is the edition most in keeping with leftist ideology. That's just a fact.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

:smith:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Yawgmoth posted:

The game's strategy is mostly "pop your encounter, then use at-wills until you have a reason to get your encounter back and use it again, then at-will until enemies are dead" which isn't much of a strategy at all.

This is kind of like saying that Vampire's strategy is mostly "use your disciplines".

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Yawgmoth posted:

This would be true if Vampire's character generation was "pick Celerity or Vigor, that is your Discipline. You can Go Real Fast or Be Real Strong 1/encounter. You can also pick Resilience as a Discipline but it sucks and you'll be pretty much useless."

That would be true regardless of Vampire's character generation mechanics because of the incredible amount of work a phrase like "use your powers" does. What you haven't done and won't do is use specific examples tying your vague complaints to anything actually written down in a game book.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Yawgmoth posted:

I'm not going to write a 185 page diatribe going over every lovely little thing about the lovely little system you're so involved in because writing too many words about something no one cares about is your job. If you really can't work out why "pick A or B at character creation, then do that every single combat round minus one" is the tactical level of a 3.5 D&D fighter and also boring as poo poo, then I guess you've got a lucrative career at Paizo all lined up.

But your description's just wrong.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Yawgmoth posted:

Oh okay, I'll just go back in time and tell Past Me that my experience isn't actually happening.

Yes, please do. Even at level 1, a Strike character can use more than one encounter power and has more than two at-will powers, and that's discounting the basic fact that in addition to power management you're playing on a grid and managing positioning.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I wasn't even thinking of that stuff, just the fact that everyone can and should Rally.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Countblanc posted:

That's true but if the argument is that you don't make tactical decisions then "use the same power twice ASAP" doesn't really refute that.

Ah, but that would generally be the wrong tactical decision because if you used your E1, rallied, then used your E1 again you'd be wasting the healing.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Is there a broad consensus as to whether 2nd or 3rd edition is preferable nowadays?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Yeah, I got the sense that 3rd was better so I wasn't sure why 2nd was being recommended. That sucks about EOS.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

A lot of people accidentally start roleplaying as humans who happen to live in the same world as elves when they start talking about elves as fictional constructs.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Law/Chaos is worthless garbage.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

D&D is made specifically in mind with law/chaos, but it doesn't work and law/chaos is terrible and everyone functionally ignores it.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

Alexander damned the powers mechanics and marking system in 4E because they were not simulating anything that happened in the game world. For example, why could a Rogue only pull off his fancy Daily power once per day? The only answer was because those were the rules of the game, not because that was how combat ought or should work in the fantasy setting.

The really crucial thing here is that this is an outright lie on Alexander's part. The "only answer" was that martial exploits represented moves so physically and mentally taxing that you needed a long rest before you could attempt them again, same as every other non-magical per-day ability that's been in D&D. You could have raised the same bullshit objection to stunning fist or barbarian rage back in the day.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Actually, mechanics meant to model the actual fantasy world you're playing in are good.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

if you must do this you should probably do it in a game that isn't completely wedded to a wargame framework

But 4E works fine.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

bbcisdabomb posted:

The only thing my newbie players really had a problem with was with the minor action ready at the start of combat, which I told them was dumb but I was running with it as part of the wargame aspect. This led to everyone making fun of it for a while, culminating in somone declaring that to really be ready for a fight they needed breakfast first. So they called in a caterer to bring in a full breakfast brunch and everyone, including the zombies they were fighting, sat down to eat. At the end of a multi-hour multi-course feast, the dishes were cleared, everyone returned to their places, and the player says "And with that minor action, I'm Ready."

Everyone got a free Ready action off that, because holy poo poo why not.

I don't remember any minor action to ready at the start of combat, am I forgetting something? IIRC it's an automatic part of rolling initiative that you draw your weapon or whatever.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

bbcisdabomb posted:

The Rules Compendium says it is a minor action to draw or sheathe a weapon, I guess the people I've played with just made it so you always had to spend the action. The GM who taught me 4e is pretty groggy in terms of realism, that's probably it. I just told my players it was part of the action economy so please don't try to cheese it, and that was accepted.

Then those guys were loving up, because while you need to use a minor action to wield something new down the line you don't need to use one in the first turn of combat just to be armed at all. Imposing a minor action tax in the first turn of combat barely affects some characters but really fucks with e.g. rangers and warlocks.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Only finding out at the end of combat that you're missing an arm seems counter to the goal of having interesting, dynamic fights.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Just "Tabletop Games" would pretty much communicate the forum's subject.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

(blithely continuing on despite the fact that you got up and left minutes ago) -triggered? I'm sorry, do you need a safe space? What's wrong, was that not politically correct? Oh, was that problematic? You seem upset, am I not being tolerant? What's got your goat, is-

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Gobbeldygook posted:

Yes. SuperMechaGodzilla is a very prolific CineD poster who haunts nerd movie threads. Blockbuster Video basically exists so people can discuss Star Wars without him and those who engage with him. Here are a few examples; I promise I am not cherry picking.

Edit: I want to emphasize that the first post is from the Star Wars thread and is about Star Wars.

These posts are amazing.

However, I really appreciate the splitoff "SMG isn't allowed to be mean to us here" forum because of posts like these: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3801771&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post467821018

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Alaois posted:

cinema discusso, an intellectual place where people discuss stimulating films, like star wars, and superman vs batman, and the transformers

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803460

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/DungeonsDonald/status/887304857316667392

Anyone still got that picture of the dudes that burned their 4e books after 5e released (was announced)?

Is he wrong. IS he wrong. IS he loving wrong. Is h-

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

He is also straightforwardly wrong, because for example the first 4E DMG goes into a lot of detail about the fact that enemy attack values and suchlike are presumed to be derived from like P% magic item bonuses, Q% feat bonuses, etc. such that a magic weapon will only improve a monster's damage by X instead of Y and so forth. I don't remember reading a single thing from him in the old grognards.txts thread about any system besides 3.X D&D that didn't contain at least one massive factual error or lie.

4E monsters do work like PCs... it's just that the inner workings of their character sheets are abstracted and they benefit from arbitrary ends-based custom powers generally assumed to be innate powers based on their origin. So for example there is no specific feat which grants a balor the ability to shoot fireballs at-will and if a tower appears overnight it could have been the work of a god or a superintelligent ant colony or a temporal paradox or, hell, a custom-designed magic spell made up by the DM that's the equivalent of a spell or feat in an as yet unreleased game supplement.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember being involved in that argument. In Trollman's mind, if there is a magically-created castle, there needs to be a Butthead's Beatific Battlements spell that you can look up, and backsolve the caster's level from the square footage of stone created, and so on. To just make poo poo up is a tyranny perpetrated upon your poor PCs.

See, there's a sense in which he's right, but, it's simply false that PHB 1 (or whatever) is actually a comprehensive list of all special powers available to humans. If that were true, no game supplements would ever be released containing new spells and classes and whatnot. While the default spell list found on d20srd.org is in fact a pretty useful guide to how powerful magic is and how much of it is needed to achieve certain broad classes of feat (you can't instakill someone regardless of their HP with a level 2 spell, for instance), it's by no means a closed system. Furthermore, there's no reason that magic can't exist which is stronger along certain axes but weaker along others that make it useless to adventurers but not to NPCs - for instance, a spell that can raise a tower overnight which is of much lower level than you'd expect but which requires an hours-long ritual plus pile of human sacrifices plus the favor of a demon lord.

We know Trollman doesn't go into conniptions every time new spells are published in a supplement and we know that he doesn't melt down when he opens the monster manual and sees a dragon turtle's Capsize (Ex) ability, even though both of these represent intrusions into the game world of seemingly-arbitrary and heretofore inaccessible powers that don't appear in the player character spell list. He's not, like, a subhuman idiot who literally doesn't understand that it's the GM's job to make things up for the PCs to then interact with. He's just being dishonest - applying separate standards to the thing he hates and the thing he likes, because what he actually objects to about 4E makes him sound like a petty rear end in a top hat when it's given voice.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

You sort of answered your own question there.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm distrustful of the idea that something can be so overwhelmingly powerful that you have to limit it when no one else has limited use abilities, but at the same time, weak enough that frontloading it isn't a problem.

The 10-minute adventuring day is a response to a resource system that was already clumsy, frustrating, and required a lot of bookkeeping.

"Fighters have no dailies" is for my money the most succinct criticism of 5e.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

4e didn't require you to have taken Burning Hands before you were allowed to take Fireball and it was fine.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

hyphz posted:

Yea, the problem isn't the scaling of spells, the problem is the easy ability for magic to just render anything that non-magic people can do irrelevant. Classically this is a part of most settings with magic and because of the unicorn problem rarity doesn't work as a balance, so it needs something else. Maybe everyone just expects there to be magic, maybe everyone can use a bit of magic in the area they work in, maybe people who have no magic are just "too real" to be reliably affected with magic, but you need something to change the situation.

4e also had totally non-magical character classes whose power sets simply could not replicate certain feats of magic (try teleporting when you're a human fighter who didn't multiclass into another power source) and it was fine.

Here's the secret: martial dailies. The ability of non-magicians to do things so consequential to the flow of play that they have long recharge times or limited ammo, in the same way that spells do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Well that, and there isn't one Arcane class that gets every Arcane power by default. So the Wizard isn't simultaneously a Controller and a Striker with a good helping of defense and buff powers to boot.

If literally every arcane power published in 4e appeared on the wizard power list the wizard would still have been balanced with the fighter, though. It would've been facially inconsistent - at the very least, you'd also expect the Fighter class to have access to every power previously unique to the warlord, and to the rogue, and to the ranger, and so on - but the superstructure limiting how many total powers you can have and how many of those powers can be of daily rather than at-will or per-encounter strength ensures that versatility in character building is not the same as versatility or power in play.

hyphz posted:

And serious restrictions on the power of that magic.

It also didn't deal with the non-combat issues of magic balance - ie, we come to a village where the crops are failing; the fighter can swing a sword and look at the wall, while the Wizard summons rain with one Arcana check. There were plenty of times in 4e where Skill Challenges would basically say "well, you can use Arcana on this if you can argue that it would apply (but magic can do anything so who the hell can argue it wouldn't?)"

You can't make an Arcana check to summon rain. You can, however, cast a weather control ritual to summon rain.

...and what's wrong with that? The party comes upon an ailing village, the wizard (more probably, the druid) blesses them with good weather. Seems appropriate to the milieu.

• Locked thread