Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Serf posted:

If the village's issue was instead that they had to deal with constant bandit attacks, the fighter could work on training a militia to protect them after the characters are gone.

Whereas a wizard who tried to build the village a guardian golem would at best have to spend way more time and money and at worst create some kind of Sorcerer's Apprentice situation where safetybot refuses to allow any of the villagers to leave their homes, yeah. I get why people get really reductive about making sure there's literally no thing magic can do that elbow grease can't but it's misguided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The level 1 adventuring party happens upon a village that lives in fear of a rogue safety golem and they have to either destroy or repair it.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

hyphz posted:

Well, yes. In fact the classic D&D balancer was that a high level fighter was expected to be leading an army. Obviously an army can do things to the setting one guy with a sword cannot.

But if you look at the published Skill Challenges in 4e, they love Arcana to bits for anything (saving drowning people? Arcana! Impress the King? Arcana!) but hate Intimidate.

Those writers need to get it through their heads that Arcana is a knowledge skill. It can only do cause material changes in the world if you separately have access to specific rituals or, at the very least, have some kind of existing magic circle or crystal ball or whatever that someone else set up and you're doing the equivalent of computer hacking into.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

P.d0t posted:

Why anyone would have less than like a 10 in CON -- even in 4e -- is beyond me. It's like a solid 12 on every character I've made / 13 if you're planning to bump it at all / more if your class actually gets riders off of it.

You're playing a Dread Necromancer and really looking forward to level 20.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

The big game-mechanical problem with the new XCom games is the way that aliens are only dangerous if you can see them, such that entire missions can swing on whether you're correctly stifling your line of sight. Game mechanics like EW's Meld and 2's everpresent turn timers put pressure on you to not play in the optimal fashion given the way pod activation works (which is to say, shuffle your entire squad forward in a tight cluster while overwatching incessantly and make sure no one ever looks around a corner or through a window) but it's a bandaid rather than cure.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Getsuya posted:

What if the wizard deliberately made a smaller gazebo than he was capable of to throw them off the scent? And how would they account for an Amulet of Increased Gazebo he may or may not have to inflate it beyond his normal ability?

This is the problem with the Trollman ideological universe - they don't realize that even the 3.5e rules are structured to allow for arbitrary, heretofore unknown special abilities possessed by monsters or even PC-caliber characters. It might have been a monster with an (Ex) ability to build things really fast, for instance.

They mistake a ttrpg with consistent grammar for a closed system, but if D&D actually were a closed system there'd be no such thing as supplements introducing new feats, spells, or items.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

MAJOR fail. The Y axis should go Hungry <----> Thirsty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

Incel <-------> Volcel axis is the correct one

That should be the X axis.

• Locked thread