Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

paradoxGentleman posted:

I will do my best not to think horrible things about myself.
I have already failed at this and will likely continue failing at this daily until given a reason to stop. :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Anyone got any good maps for a fantasy science lab? Something like the Gates of Firestorm Peak, but slightly less sprawling. The weirder the better, my players have accidentally themselves into Xoriat.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Sion posted:

have accidentally themselves
Yep. The whole party.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Huckabee Sting posted:

You roll a dice
No. You never roll a dice. You roll a die. You roll more than one dice. This bugs the poo poo out of me.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ratpick posted:

Funnily enough, the word dice (from Middle English "dyce" which came from Old French) was originally used as both singular and plural, although the plural form "dices" also existed in parallel. The word "die" is a later introduction and was originally used as a plural. It's only later through analogy that die became used as a singular and dice became accepted as the plural form. By analogy I mean that it just sort of makes sense that the form without a plural s sound at the end (die) became assumed to be the singular, while the one with the s sound at the end (dice) became assumed to be the plural.
It's much like peas, which used to be singular but then s = plural because the hot new grammar and thus we gained the word pea.

quote:

if you want to be pedantical about it.
I think we all know the answer to that. :colbert: My pendantifaction knows no bounds.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ominous Jazz posted:

Sorry, the best fighter build is the grab machine of 4e, because why wouldn't you want to suplex all your problems.
This is funny because my favorite fighter build is the throw machine of 3e. When your default attack is cross-checking, you don't even need a full attack action!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Evil Mastermind posted:

One of the best 4e characters I ever played was a dragonborn luchadore. I actually managed to put a slime in a headlock.
Are you sure that was its head?

I'm betting you put a slime in a buttlock and didn't even realize it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was 5 seconds into typing "the grappling rules aren't really that complicated", when I realized I've been playing 3.5 continuously for over a year now and have had lots of practice.

It's me, I'm That Guy.
I've been playing 3.5 since its inception and I still have to have the SRD page up when I use them because they're such a pain in the rear end.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Huckabee Sting posted:

When I DM Pathfinder I like to use enemies the players had fought before, but where difficult at the time, and use those enemies as fodder for a bigger bad guy/s.

I think it can be fun to see that your character has increased in power, and the carthartic release from destroying enemies you once had trouble with. Lastly, the world feels more alive by giving the illusion that there are more/less powerful creatures out there and everything isn't always exactly hard enough for your group.
I like to do this too, and I also like to throw templates that don't alter appearance onto old or low power enemies to make them a challenge. Oh, what a cute little pond of Paragon shocker lizards, no sweat we can sweep them aside easily, right guys?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ominous Jazz posted:

We forgot the most anime game of all, Cthulu Tech.
We didn't forget, we tried to not mention it. The way no one mentions why Uncle Kevin's not allowed within 300 feet of a school.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
"you know how in 3e D&D you can make a wizard who fucks everything up the moment before they even have the idea to try harming him? Let's make everyone like that! :getin:"

I mean, that sounds like it could be fun but I would need to be in a very specific mood for it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kwyndig posted:

Also they're leaving out the fact that first you have to find an Allip, which isn't that easy because they don't make more of themselves.
The smarter version is "cast Summon Undead to summon an Allip" which I think you can get via Summon Undead II.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Oh, the difference between ability drain and ability damage is completely bizarre. I had to cross check which was which when I saw the tarrasque statblock had immunity to one but not the other. I have no idea why they couldn't be ability drain (temporary) and ability drain (permanent) but I guess that would involve implementing a consistent key word system, like in 4e and we all know how that was received. :v:
Damage heals, drain does not. I'm not really sure how this is confusing or inconsistent. I think having two type of ability drain and having to remember which monster does what type of drain would be orders of magnitude more vague and irritating than remembering the first five words of this post.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kwyndig posted:

It's why I think "natural language" rules are bullshit, most of the time they're confusing and unclear. I prefer technical writing with keywords if necessary.
But "ability damage" and "ability drain" are keyphrases that are used the same way every time they're used :psyduck:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Actually most TRPGs I've encountered don't really cover playing as the Germans.
I'm kind of surprised White Wolf never took a crack at this, given their history with sensitive historical/racial themes.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Steak should be well done

Also don't tip ever
Ketchup.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Cinnamon Bear posted:

-artwork of a cigar smoking wizard in jorts riding a bubble through space
Okay someone link this pic because that sounds amazing.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

you're not wrong, i'm just disappointed that of all the ways WotC could have modeled "i sneak up behind guy and stab him for lots of damage" they chose the one that has almost no relation to stealth and incentivizes what was already the dominant mode of combat
On the one hand, I agree. On the other hand, sneak attacking with a ballista is hilarious.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Drone posted:

Like, you see that kind of thing on shitholes like Reddit all the time, where a parent will sometimes openly admit that they're basically just waiting for their little kid to learn how to speak well enough to form a coherent sentence so that they can start playing D&D with them. It's goddamn creepy. No little kid's vocabulary should have the word "dracolich" in it when they should still be all about Duplos and Bob the Builder.
"kids should have these hobbies and anything else is creepy because I saw a thing on reddit!" is the dumbest loving thing ever. Like sure if you're forcing your kid to stay inside and play D&D with you that's lovely, but no one has even come close to saying that. You can in fact play D&D and go outside & play. This isn't a Revenge of the Nerds prequel.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

gradenko_2000 posted:

My DMing has been heavily influenced by listening to hours and hours of Trail of Cthulhu and Nights Black Agents APs, and I'm an advocate of the whole "just tell them the loving clue" approach.

You enter the room, and I give you the lede. The interaction may be driven by the dice, and maybe there's a Perception check to see how much more extra information you have, but I have an elemental dislike of the players needing to "pixelbitch" just to begin the process of interacting with the environment.

Or to put it another way: even if you told the players everything, all the time, there's still a lot of room left over for dice rolling and failures based on what they do with the information.
I hate pixelbitching in any form, including games where the term originated, so I strive to avoid that. Generally I do Perception checks to see who notices a thing, or how much of a thing the PCs notice, and only rarely do I have actual contested Perception (or whatever) rolls to know/see/hear/do a plot-necessary thing.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Error 404 posted:

One reason to always let players know enemy hp: when they do a roll and see theyve killed it, they can describe the totally kickass way their character shut that dude down.

As a player and gm I live for that poo poo.
:same:

Although I generally tell the players how badly they overkill and then have them describe it if they so desire.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ratpick posted:

Yeah, you're right. I know it's easy for me to joke about what's going on in the States on account of not living there, but I can imagine it's rough having to actually live with what your administration is doing.
Rough is a word you could use to describe it. "Moist" is a word you could use to describe the Pacific ocean.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Bedlamdan posted:

Not especially, I mostly came slinking back to read about Beast: the Primordial.
That's even worse, really.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mr.Misfit posted:

I was recently thinking, some games include a "consequence" mechanic, where, instead of losing hp or dying, you get something equal to the strength of wound or occuring problem, like "nicked finger" or "broken arm" or "skinned alive". I was recently thinking about really liking this, but it feels rather..."brutal", so to speak.

On a sidenote:
Is such a mechanic a good thing to replace common health points? I have a feeling that it makes being wounded much more immediate, but it feels "more abstract" than the number of points representing "life/health/stamina/whatever", which is strange seeing as the later is even more abstracted, but I cannot explain why. Is there something I´m missing about this?
That sounds like Fate consequences, honestly. Whether or not it's good, I don't know because I have gotten through every combat in Fate so far without getting hit. I know Legends of the Wulin has conditions that represent trivial/minor/major wounds that compound and eventually knock you out (killing you only if that's what your opponent is actively trying to do) and it works pretty well.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Elfgames posted:

so someone in the contest got "shounen" as their genre, a category ranging from dragonball to death note
I would watch and/or play a thing that combined these two.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Or Evangelion, which could be distantly compared to "what if humanity noticed the God-Machine and starting loving with Infrastructure."
Evangelion is better described as "what if a guy tried to write a kaiju-of-the-week show using his high school psychology course as the basis for all the characters, and the plot twist is that he got a D in the class?"

The soundtrack is pretty amazing but that's the best thing I can say about it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Serf posted:

Even as someone who likes very little in the way of anime I gotta disagree with this one.
I like a good many anime series but NGE is basically the D&D of anime. It's a pile of garbage that's been sitting in a particularly stagnant and sun-baked area but everyone gets recommended it because it was popular.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

starkebn posted:

I can't even remember why we're recommending anime, but Cowboy Bebop is a lot like an RPG group of competent people doing missions semi competently. Best music ever and great characters, let down only by the fan servicey design of the main female lead, but that's easy to ignore if you've ever seen any other female anime character
Agreed on all of this.

I remember liking El Hazard but I cannot remember a single other thing about it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

FactsAreUseless posted:

That is all I will be wearing.
Look at this shameful GM not wearing a matching GMing cape.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

AlphaDog posted:

Strapping your sword to your wrist so you can throw a spear* and then quickly grab your sword before your opponent can react.

:black101:

*This word is "halberd" in the English translation, but for some reason halberd is usually how translators of sagas refer to bladed polearms. In the original, Egil's polearm is variously called a "Höggspjót" or a "Kesja", which both mean "spear".
Must have had a Belt of Battle to give him that extra move action.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
2017 is looking good for me. Just had my "annual review" and got a 7.5% raise! :woop: And I have business cards now, which is pretty nifty.

Anyone else have good news to share?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ettin posted:

What if Trad Games pooled our money together and bought PFO? Goon project :getin:
Well it can't be any worse than swap.avi

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

That Old Tree posted:

Remember when one of the creator bio things in the Kickstarter pitch for a Pathfinder product literally image leeched from Wizards for its profile picture?

That was my favorite.
That is hilariously indicative of Paizo's business strategy.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

A high ranking attorney out of Tampa used to play in the Camarilla too. I've gamed with both of them and they are both assholes.
But you repeat yourself.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Looks like Myth Weavers blew up their data and lost all of the character sheets stored on their site. According to their twitter it looks like July 25th is the last date of any real backup. But forums posts are totally safe! :downs:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Cassa posted:

Yeah, sounds too catastrophic for any recovering. This definitely kills games.
Half my players were using MW for their sheet, but fortunately they just leveled up so I am sure that all their poo poo is fresh in their mind to put onto a different sheet.

I can't even imagine tinkering around with data without manually backing it up and vetting it beforehand, holy gently caress. :psyboom:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Arivia posted:

I'm happy to discuss it in an adult manner.
This has never been true about any topic nor do I expect it ever will be.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Re 5e, can chocolate ice cream partisans just enjoy their chocolate ice cream without driving 10 blocks down to fling jars of piss at Strawberry Ice Cream Likers Club
Strawberry ice cream is the devil, blood orange sorbet 4 lyfe

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Covok posted:

Outside Fen Shui and Feng Shui II, Exalted, Legend of the Five Rings, Tenra Bansho Zero, Reflections, and Ninja Crusade, what other games have Asian-inspired settings that are worth looking at?
Legends of the Wulin is a pretty fantastic game if you can get a hold of a pdf of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kurieg posted:

Can we stop making dickvampire jokes?
No, never.

• Locked thread