Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What's a good game with a dark modern magic-in-the-real-world type setting that I have at least a snowball's chance in hell of finding a group for?+
That's basically the tag line for Mage: the Awakening, and 2e is really solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Yeah I keep a hard cap of 4 players when I run because the last time I tried to have more than that it just fell to poo poo. I can't even imagine running for twelve people; trying to get a word in edgewise would be like drilling for oil.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Have you played in a game where Leadership was allowed and used in earnest? What was that like?

A lot of the time I hear to not use Leadership entirely, or limit it to just "I have a background crafter apprentice" because of the balance issues (and the relative complexity of building and maintaining a second 3e character)
I had a character with Leadership because it made sense for him, and his cohort was a myconid artificer. Turns out taking all of the cost/time reduction feats for crafting is awesome on a cohort since you can just drop off all your poo poo and come back to a pile of much more useful stuff!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
This sounds at least as readable as the first Xanth book.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah but if you go the other direction it rapidly turns into this

I'm quoting this so you all have to see it on another page.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Asimo posted:

Spelljammer was objectively horrible.

Kwyndig posted:

Everything about the fourth edition was perfect for a revival of the setting
Coincidence? :smug:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kai Tave posted:

The ideal selling point of published adventures has, in my mind, always been the notion that you would want to sit down and not have to gently caress with it, it just works out of the box with maybe some minimal tweaking for your group, not something you have to chop away at and fix all the holes and okay, now it kinda sorta works.
This is one of my main complaints about most D&D adventures, to be honest. They're usually okay (not great, but okay) for poo poo like maps and situation-specific rules/items/etc., maybe the occasional weird monster, but the "plots" usually assume way too much about the PCs without telling you those assumptions and if they so much as sneeze at the tracks you go wildly off the rails and are left either forcing the group back in line (lovely) or you're stuck improvising something from nothing in the middle of a session (which I could do without spending $15).

I'm a much bigger fan of the nWoD modules, since they generally just give you a bunch of NPC stat blocks, the relevant rules for the weird poo poo, and each NPC has a personality rundown with goals and likely methods. CoC modules do this to an extent, but also like to have random "haha you die gently caress off" moments alongside far too many "make the PCs roll for this thing, if they don't roll low enough then the game stalls out" which is just stupid. Fortunately those are easy enough to just skip and say "you find X" without a roll.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Holy poo poo how have you people not learned to put Arivia on ignore already. Can we put that in the rulebook sticky?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Gobbeldygook posted:

NPCs are stand-ins for real world people like Trump.
I REGRET AND APOLOGIZE FOR NOTHING.

NOTHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Elfgames posted:

until you can actually come up with a complaint about strike! which is anything beyond "it doesn't have a narrative" kindly shut the gently caress up.
The game's strategy is mostly "pop your encounter, then use at-wills until you have a reason to get your encounter back and use it again, then at-will until enemies are dead" which isn't much of a strategy at all. There's no organization to any given section, not even basic alphabetizing. There's a load of judgmental editorial bullshit, which if you like that kind of thing then it's great but I'm not a fan of a book straight up saying "if you like this sort of thing you're a dumb stupid baby but if you must do this then here's some rules for it. :rolleyes:" Save that poo poo for forum posts, not a book. A lot of the poo poo in there is incredibly vague and gives no real useful examples or guidance; skills in particular are really unhelpfully written. All in all, it feels like a game that is written for a very particular type of game, refuses to tell you what that type of game is, and then gets mad at you for not playing it all while lying about how it's a generic system you can use for anything. It's trying to everything while looking like it isn't trying to do anything, and doesn't really succeed at either.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

oriongates posted:

Who loving cares what anyone else thinks about X Edition of D&D!?
Everyone but you, clearly.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Elfgames posted:

Didn't you also have a problem with the tone of "7 ways to stop a fight?" forgive me if i take your complaint with a grain of salt
I don't know what that is so no, no forgiveness given. Strike is as bad as D&D in places and even worse in others. But that's okay because you're allowed to like bad things so long as you don't demand everyone else like them. Watch now, as I deftly do not give a poo poo how much you like or hate D&D of any edition!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Drone posted:

If I wanna get into L5R, is 4th Edition pretty much the way to go? Seems to be out of print, though I could always just get the PDF from DriveThru.

I know FFG is supposed to be rebooting the TCG now that they have the license, but have they said whether or not they'll also do a 5th edition of the RPG?
4e is the way to go right now. FFG has the license and I think they're supposed to be announcing something this year, but we don't really know what. I'm in a discord channel for it now, I could PM you a link if you want it. Seems to be a decent place for talking about the game and finding a group.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ferrinus posted:

This is kind of like saying that Vampire's strategy is mostly "use your disciplines".
This would be true if Vampire's character generation was "pick Celerity or Vigor, that is your Discipline. You can Go Real Fast or Be Real Strong 1/encounter. You can also pick Resilience as a Discipline but it sucks and you'll be pretty much useless."

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ferrinus posted:

That would be true regardless of Vampire's character generation mechanics because of the incredible amount of work a phrase like "use your powers" does. What you haven't done and won't do is use specific examples tying your vague complaints to anything actually written down in a game book.
I'm not going to write a 185 page diatribe going over every lovely little thing about the lovely little system you're so involved in because writing too many words about something no one cares about is your job. If you really can't work out why "pick A or B at character creation, then do that every single combat round minus one" is the tactical level of a 3.5 D&D fighter and also boring as poo poo, then I guess you've got a lucrative career at Paizo all lined up.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ferrinus posted:

But your description's just wrong.
Oh okay, I'll just go back in time and tell Past Me that my experience isn't actually happening.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mr.Misfit posted:

So, if I understand thread consensus correctly in SA TG, metaplot is bad, right?

But in what way exactly? Is metaplot bad when it means that you have a continuous story with a single story path that forces the GM to adapt as needed?
Or is it only when a combination of factors means that you are watching railroad the tabletop rpg?

Iīm asking to understand and get a better understanding of when metaplot is and isnīt bad. Or isnīt "as" bad.
Because Iīm currently writing a set of connected scenarios with forced endings based on player choice which gets incorporated into later scenarios with "canon" decisions. And I want to do this right. As in...not poo poo.
Metaplot is bad because it typically involves a bucket of canon NPCs that are doing things to advance the plot in each book. If you have canon NPCs advancing the plot, then either you have PCs as cheerleaders, or you have the PCs take their places. The PCs taking their place only works if the PCs do what the written NPCs do every time - making the same choices, fighting the same people with the same methods, making the same friends, etc. And if you just say to hell with the metaplot, you are basically being forced to throw away the chunk of each book dedicated to advancing this plot. It also typically makes sweeping changes to the setting of the game that gets harder and harder to make sense within your personal game or involves tossing out more and more material within each supplement.

Honestly the only way to make it not a steaming pile of Ferrinus posts is to confine it to its own adventure path type thing and even then it's rough since if you assume that all players will do either A, B, or C, they are guaranteed to choose option ╤. Every time.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mr.Misfit posted:

Which is what I encountered as well, and are therefore asking. Iīm currently writing a localized sandbox module based around a locale (lets call it a "city") in which different factions with different goals plot against each other, and each faction comes with a storyline (aka a scenario) Depending on which scenario the players go for, another gets locked off, as they will be working directly against the opposing faction. Also, each scenario has to include what happened if the players have already finished or are working on another scenario. With eventualities for EVERY OPTION of ending the other scenarios have. Iīve got 10 scenarios so far. That means about 20 different eventualities for each scene that has connections to another faction due to the way each scenario can end...'barf'.

So by having the players being the movers and shakers of that sandbox, Iīm trying to involve and give them guidance, but not force their hand. But at the same time, it feels strange to have this pre-determined as plot in scene-layout. But I canīt think of another way of evolving this, because organic gaming stories that work off of snippets donīt require or are even to combine into this. Its like a totally different string of gaming, in a way. How bizarre. Is it only "free scenario/plot construction" or "story time children!"?
This sounds like a thing a flowchart would actually be good for (as opposed to forcibly jammed into place without cause or warning). Just have each scenario its own little bubble with each likely resolution a different arrow. Make it less about what the players do to affect resolutions and more what those events are and you ought to be less hosed than trying to predict said actions; e.g. "Billy is going to be assassinated!" would have "Billy is dead" and "Billy lives" as arrows. Have some general notes about the various factions and their goals, what the PCs can offer/be offered, etc. so if they want help from the Basket Weaver's Guild to protect Billy they have that option if they offer up whatever.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's actually loaded down with unkillable NPCs who do absolutely everything of importance
You just summed up L5R in its entirety with one sentence, congratulations! Which is several of the many reasons metaplot is bullshit: it encourages this kind of bullshit from GMs (to both start and continue doing this sort of iron-fisted railroading) and creates a kind of learned helplessness in players such that they never try to break out of it. I don't think anyone's advocating for "you should be able to kill Dagon with a starting level character", but if all the big bads are invincible (until the NPCs kill them), all the ostensibly good guys have impenetrable plot armor and hold all the interesting titles, all the unique items are given to those NPCs, and others can't be crafted by you because they require materials you aren't allowed to have & a skill level higher than the NPCs who made them in the first place, what's really left to do? Walk around and go cow kappa tipping?

Fuego Fish posted:

I wonder, is there a potential market for "alternate timeline" metaplot splatbooks? As in, here's what happens if your players do murder the Emperor.
They made a couple alternate history books for L5R but I have no idea how popular they were in sales or use. As far as I know, people just use them as thought exercises and then go back to the main timeline.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Halloween Jack posted:

The key to the whole "ursine swarm" thing is that the druid player in this situation isn't even a min-maxer, just a guy who takes all bear-related options because being the Bear Priest is awesome.
I'll bet that playing such a character would just be unbearable. I assume he met a grizzly end at some point, but until then the other PCs just had to grin and bear it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I'm an office drone so at my job even when I'm working I can be thinking about plots and potential NPCs and such. Mid-week I can even pop open a pdf from a thumb drive and look for monsters or cool powers for them and whatnot.

So basically my advice is "get a job with a boatload of downtime and internet access." :v:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Covok posted:

Anyone here ever play Sierra adventure games like King's Quest, Quest for Glory, or Space Quest? Their love of lethality and generally obtuse puzzles remind me of 70s TRPGs for some reason.
That's because they were almost guaranteed to have been highly influenced by those 70s RPGs. CRPGs are influenced by TRPGs are influenced by CRPGs etc in a design ouroboros.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Bar Crow posted:

In the criminal justice system, sexually based offenses are considered especially heinous. Inclusion of these crimes in your games are handled by a special squad of arguements called the shut up about rape you creep.
:doink:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kwyndig posted:

I'm going to talk about how and why I dislike elves. Elves are boring because they're perfect. They live their ridiculously long lives in their perfect little tree cities and they're so good and twee it drives me crazy how you can even write a story about them! Tolkien influenced modern depictions of elves so heavily people barely remember that they used to be tiny folk that drank milk and played pranks by moonlight.

It's all so frustrating.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Slimnoid posted:

thieving rear end in a top hat cats
Why did you write cats three times?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Serf posted:

Replace the 9-point alignment system with this, it would be about as useful:

Alignment: Jews

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Countblanc posted:

it's also probably evil because like, it's unpleasant to think of your dead grandmother or husband or child walking around without any personality in eternal labor for some shmuck, irl. it's just decidedly gross.
This is really what it comes down to. "It's gross, therefore it's evil" is the bedrock of the alignment system and a great many of its flaws. You can really see it in the 3e BoVD/BoED, where the prestige classes of the former are mostly "this guy works with bugs, eeeeeewwww! so evil!" and spells are "this stuns a guy and is evil because it hurts! as opposed to this other spell that stuns a guy and has no flavor text!" The latter is basically the big book of "Thing X is always evil, no exceptions, so here is Thing Y that does the exact same loving thing but we made it gold and/or sparkly so it's good now!"

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly this is probably going to happen in the real world as well, or at least it'll be attempted
And then it'll be like that episode of Star Trek TNG where everyone forgets how to do anything of value and when their big planet-sustaining machine starts to fail they're ultrafucked.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Brainiac Five posted:

Speaking of AEG stuff that John Wick used to be involved in, are there any good alternatives for katana-and-geta gaming besides L5R and Tenra?
Legends of the Wulin is actually pretty good. It's got a few things that don't quite hash out but honestly the system is well-put-together enough that fixes are easy to figure out and apply.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Rockopolis posted:

I just found out that there's a D&D version of Dogs Playing Poker and I kind of want one.
You can't say this and not post the image.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kwyndig posted:

Semi-serious answer, kill the mind flayer because they eat human brains, gently caress the beholder because I'm curious how that would even work, and marry the red dragon because fire-breathing spouse with shapeshifting, spell-casting ability, and mad treasure.
Agreed, but you gently caress the beholder because their eyes have beauty in them.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Simian_Prime posted:

We were all amused by the fact that it had stat adjustments for Age categories up to and including "Infant". Was there some gamer out there who wanted to live his fantasy of role playing a newborn baby?
There are a substantial number of people out there who feel the need to have every single loving thing in the universe statted out and are greatly offended by the idea of homebrew. These are people I could join a game and say "hey I made this, could I try playing it" and they'd screech and bellow about homebrew, but if I saved it to pdf and put it up for sale on DTRPG for $1 and said "hey I got this and would like to play it" they'd be all for it. So I assume that stats for babies and whatnot are for those people, who desperately need every living thing in the orc village to have a set of stats but cannot fathom the concept of "the babies don't need stats you freak" and also hate the idea of on-the-fly giving babies a stack of 1s or whatever.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Elfgames posted:

to be fair, as a dude i think that there aren't enough faeries and kittens in magic.
Eventually they'll do Return to Lorwyn and you'll get your wish.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Haystack posted:

try not to be insufferable.
Therein lies the problem for a lot of gamers trying to do a comedy thing.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Evil Mastermind posted:

It was basically what happens when a) the person in charge tries to change basic processes work without understanding how they work, b) the people in charge not accounting for potential failures, c) the man in charge can't accept that he's wrong, and d) the middle management types just tell the people in charge what they want to hear because they know that if they suggest that the man in charge is wrong, they'll be executed as traitors.

Thankfully, that doesn't happen anymore. Corporations don't execute people as traitors.
Don't be too hasty on that.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Covok posted:

My issue is it often puts me in the position of having to defend the choice of system.
Don't do that. Instead just say "yep those are flaws. Sucks, every game's got 'em, you either fix them or play around them." and if he's whining, break out the taser.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Doodmons posted:

I like Legends of the Wulin's damage system, where hitting opponents places a certain numbers of Ripples on an opponent depending on how well you rolled. Ripples don't do anything at all... until a Rippling roll is called for. This happens either if you hit someone super, super well - the crit-equivalent is that you do a bunch of Ripples and also make them roll them out right now - but normally happens at the end of combat. More Ripples = more and more bad stuff happens to you on the Rippling roll. Like actual wound effects, maiming injuries, emotional damage, called shots to the self esteem and so on.

The main effect of this is that two kung fu masters can wale on each other for a few rounds, realise that nobody is going to roll well enough to actually force a mid-combat rippling roll, wale on each other some more until one or both opponents start looking nervously at the amount of ripples that are stacking up, bow to each other and turn to leave. At this point, one of them examines his wounds, realises that he is bleeding to death, both his arms are shattered and he can't see out of one eye and the other kung fu master realises that his leg is broken, his opponent's style was superior to his, that he is a bad Buddhist and then he keels over into unconsciousness.

One of the special abilities Buddhist monks get is the ability to, when an opponent makes a rippling roll, offer them the choice to become obsessed with becoming a better Buddhist in exchange for not having to make that ripple roll. A Shaolin monk kicks the gently caress out of you to the point where you're certain that when you stop fighting you're just going to drop dead and then offers to help you get back to the righteous path. You look at your fifteen ripples that you have stacked up and take his generous offer.

Obsessions, maiming wounds, mental trauma, reputation damage and emotional and psychological effects are all handled the same mechanically and are all equal fodder for results on a bad ripple roll. You can choose to get stabbed the gently caress up and crippled, or sub some of that out for your mentor thinking you're a waste of loving space and having a lingering phobia of loud noises. Meanwhile in combat, there's no death spiral because ripples have no effect until you're forced to roll them out and it takes some serious stats before you can just dunk an in-combat rippling roll on somebody. Meanwhile it's actually really hard to perma-kill someone because that requires a whole hell of a lot of ripples and they're almost certainly going to duck out before then. This way, it sets the stage for long-term continuing relationships between rival kung-fu masters and a lot of pissed off people in bandages questioning their life choices as they learn valuable lessons in self-reflection from the village healer.

And some games just have you subtract hit points until you hit zero and die :wtc:
This reminds me of a time when I was playing a Black Lotus master in LotW. For those that don't know, it's a style where several of the techs give your target one or more "petals" which are basically a hairline fracture and act kind of like combo points; you can spend these to gain other effects with other techniques. I was fighting some other master and we were each getting in near hits/misses, trying to whittle each other down when I offered to let him leave or I would end him with my next attack. I had a few injuries and he had almost nothing, so he of course declined. Next attack, I put everything I had into one attack, including the ten petals I had racked up to having a rippling roll of twenty five. Took him from "not a scratch" to "powdered skeleton" in a single blow. which was good since if I had missed I'd have been a dead man. :v:

And since the only way you actually die in combat is being Taken Out and the one taking you out actually wanting your consequence to be "that guy is dead now", I decided to go full wuxia and have the guy want to be my student.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Doodmons posted:

I love that the fluff for that style is that the guy who invented it loved wearing white robes and was seriously tired of getting people's blood on his clothes every time he had a kung fu fight. So he invented a style that let him wait until after he'd got out of splash range to detonate someone's body explosively.

Lotus style has a bad rep.
I wish there were more styles like it, with some sort of unique mechanic like the petals that accumulate and are spent independent of chi. Setting up those kinds of combos are extremely my jam.

I also wish I had people to play LotW with, but that's another problem.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Also Legends of the Wulin sounds awesome.
It is, but be forewarned: the editing is terrible, there's a good handful of vague mechanics, and combat will take forever your first few goes at it because even starting characters have a pretty good amount of Stuff They Can Do.

It's super fun once you get it all sorted in your head, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Parkreiner posted:

For instance; rules as written, Ripples never go away-- I assume they're spent when rolled, but somehow that just never made it into the book. I have no doubt that there must be some serious behind-the-scenes horror stories about dealing with Eos.

Also worth mentioning that poster Sage Genesis is one of the authors.
Ripples go away at the end of combat, but I can't remember if that's one of those "one sentence buried somewhere and only said once" or if that was just a clarification from SG.

• Locked thread