Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
One of Brazil's most popular games is O Desafio dos Bandeirantes (The Challenge of the Bandeirantes) which is set in a fantasy version of colonial Brazil in the 17th century.

There's a neat still-in-playtest indie game called Imp of the Perverse which is about haunted people hunting monsters in the 1830s, a very very neglected time period in tabletop games.

Besides that, Colonial Gothic is the only thing that springs to mind. As far as historical settings go, everything between [A Vague Notion of What Constituted the Middle Ages] and the latter half of the 19th century is starkly neglected.

Maybe this is a historical accident based on the prevailing trends in mainstream media, and a hundred years from now, everyone will be watching movies and TV shows about 18th century Europe and a massively popular subgenre about fantasy precolonial Africa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

hyphz posted:

That bug is right in the core of the system, though. Dexterity is mistaken for Agilty, but you can't have agility without strength. Reflex saves have no Strength component even though seeing a ball of fire coming towards you is no use if your muscles are too feeble to move your rear end out of the way in time. The only social skill keyed to Strength is Intimidate which is seen as a negative thing to use, even though plenty of people are impressed by Arnie or Mr.T or whoever without being in direct danger of being punched by them.
Yeah, STR as D&D defines it is actually this very weird specific facet of overall strength that doesn't correspond to how muscles work in real life. It wasn't a conspiracy against fighters, either, it was just an accident brought about by cargo-culting D&D's mechanics. In old-school D&D, STR is important for melee fighting, lifting and carrying heavy things, and forcing doors open. That makes it really valuable in the context of D&D and not so much in a ton of other games in different genres.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
You can always fix imbalances in ability scores by splitting them up into more ability scores, but few people want a game that detailed. (You also eventually run into a problem where spending points on ability scores in character creation feels like a chore you have to do to avoid pitfalls, instead of positively establishing what you're good at. And if you roll them, everyone will be weirdly incompetent at certain things they should be good at.)

What's hosed is when STR and CON are two different scores, but DEX covers "doing any physical task that isn't lifting or breaking inanimate objects."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Yawgmoth posted:

It's because I can walk/jog for 10 miles no problem but that does not affect my ability to lift a pallet of paper bags.
I'm not equally talented at dancing, boxing, fencing, shooting, driving, tumbling, lockpicking, and pickpocketing, yet there's this thing called DEX in many roleplaying game that

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
She kills the male after mating.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I've come around to the point where I find alignment is a neat tool to characterize the world and NPC s, just not PCs and their stuff.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Grimmerspace sounds extremely Vin Diesel.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
For one, so much of the game is customizable that it takes a long time to read through and digest. I find myself having this problem with a lot of newer, better-designed games, including Fragged Empire and Let Thrones Beware. They are easy to reference but difficult to chew through and fully digest.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Hostile V posted:

If you're not a fan of NBA's supernatural angle

There's a Chaos DUnk RPG?!!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Aren't there like a zillion MOBA characters that have some vague justification for getting stronger when they kill and draining health in order to heal? It can't be that hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The Dying Earth has stats for your failings. Everyone is assumed to be vain, greedy, dishonest, horny, gluttonous, and pedantic, and you have stats representing your ability to resist the urge to aggrandize yourself needlessly at someone else's expense.

And then there's Rock of Tahamut, of course, where everyone is Craven, Desperate, Unlucky, and Vicious, and your points represent those things being good for you instead of bad.

• Locked thread