Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Sounds great until you have to remember x amount of those things I imagine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

remusclaw posted:

people have argued to me that Miyazaki movies aren't really anime because they are good, so gently caress if I know.

I think these people think anime means characters turning into chibi versions of themselves with blood pouring out of their nose, or the sweat drop thing, or wavy lines behind them or whatever happening.

They're wrong obviously but whatever

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I just like Mike Mearls style where you keep rolling Wisdom checks until someone makes it

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I always love when people drag their forum slap fights into threads, everyone thinks it's great

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I can't even remember why we're recommending anime, but Cowboy Bebop is a lot like an RPG group of competent people doing missions semi competently. Best music ever and great characters, let down only by the fan servicey design of the main female lead, but that's easy to ignore if you've ever seen any other female anime character

starkebn
May 18, 2004

We either need an edition war thread or grogs.txt back :coal:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

just do it like AGON and give the GM x amount of XP to make the challenges and they have to follow strict rules

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Father Wendigo posted:

Is it actually that Zack S.? Smith isn't that uncommon of a surname.

the tabletop writing world is pretty small man

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Plutonis posted:

Read Shadowrun: The Official Manga of the Official SNES adaptation of the TRPG instead

This sounds pretty cool, I liked that game even though to play it now the gameplay is pretty lacking. Don't think there was much else like it at the time.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

There was the Sega version, which was better in pretty much every way. :P

maybe so, but they weren't the same game, just two different Shadowrun games on two different systems

starkebn
May 18, 2004

quote:

A Mary Sue is an idealized and seemingly perfect fictional character, a young or high-rank person who saves the day through unrealistic abilities.

Sounds pretty close to the mark for Rey, no matter how you fluff the backstory. She's like, 16-18 and kicks arse at everything.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

But if you give her a dick then she's basically Luke Skywalker, backwoods farmboy from Planet Sticksville who goes on to discover that his dad was actually Kickass Pilot McSpaceknight, rescues a princess from a space fortress, then turns around and blows up said space fortress with his incredible starfighter piloting skills (and maybe his innate space magic because he's Just That Special) which he learned shooting space varmints, and nobody felt compelled to write a dozen clickbait articles about how Luke Skywalker is the original Mary Sue.

Maybe Luke is too, but it's also a matter of degrees. All Luke really manages to do is fly an X-Wing (which I agree should be beyond a farm boy) and trust the force to pull the trigger at the right time. Guess what, Star Wars sucks and the writing is bad to horrible for almost the entire seven films I've seen. I'm not defending Luke -or- Rey, but I don't think Rey is worse because she's a female it's because she's plainly a loving Mary Sue to a degree above.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

She's not a degree above in Star Wars terms is the point. She fits right in line with what's expected of a Star Wars protagonist but for some weird reason everybody decided to make a way bigger deal about it than it deserved.

e; and are still making a bigger deal about it than it deserves apparently.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3755790&pagenumber=892#post471497062

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I'm trying to say it's not the same thing and you keep saying my argument is your argument

starkebn
May 18, 2004

okay, this can be the last from me about this in this thread, I tried to move it to a Star Wars thread to prevent being off topic but whatever.

Clearly we all have different opinions on what a Mary Sue is, clearly some people think it is more pejorative than others using it.

Clearly people see what Luke got up to as being about similar to what Rey gets up to. I am not in that camp. To my viewing Rey is portrayed as being able to do everything and being great at doing everything while that was not Luke.

I still think Star Wars sucks.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Countblanc posted:

Lots of people talk about things they think suck on this very forum.

:yeah:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Alternatively, no set needs multiple box purchases because FFG writes the rules and packages the product

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Flavivirus posted:

Alternatively, if they really prized being able to just pick up and play a particular faction deck (as they did with Netrunner) they could just sell a second box that's the extra copies of all 2- or 1-copy cards. Pretty certain that would sell well enough to be profitable.

or seeing as there are a bunch of factions in L5R have only a few factions per complete box, and multiple boxes

starkebn
May 18, 2004

yay, another post-apocalyptic miniatures skirmish game

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Yay, another post apocalyptic miniatures skirmish game!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

these are the kind of stories you get if you tell someone they have to put something out once a month for 70 years

starkebn
May 18, 2004

was it Cyberpunk 2020 with full body cyborgs as dragons or Rifts? Or both?

e: I seem to remember their brains broke and they were basically psychotic (psychopathic?) after the procedure.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Gau posted:

My eleven-year-old daughter now loves regular Catan

I'm sorry

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Obviously all the Telltale games are dogshit except for the only one I've played, Wolf Among Us, that I enjoyed as a story.

:ironicat:

Just let the company make the games, they'll stop when people stop enjoying them and buying them.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Aww, I was hoping for spell text too, not just names

starkebn
May 18, 2004

the point is that a shotgun spread pattern holds together much tighter out to a long range than any game depicts

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Helical Nightmares posted:

The problem was I remember Wasteland 2 somehow coming off as just very grindy and boring.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only person who felt this.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yesterday one of my players gave us that coveted moment of excitement you get when you experience something you've only ever heard of by rolling three critical hits in a row. Then turn order moved on to the next player, who made an attack and also rolled a critical hit.

share your tales of statistical improbability

Worst kind of roleplay story in my opinion

starkebn
May 18, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

so what is the boardgame equivalent of only plays Pathfinder Core?

people who only play Settlers of Catan

starkebn
May 18, 2004

JackMann posted:

You fly on airplanes and don't want to fly on the Wright Flyer? The Wright Flyer is the is the father to all aircraft. If it wasn't for the Wright Brothers and H.G. Wells airplanes would have been created much later than 1903 and the current popularity of aeronautics probably wouldn't be around until a decade or two from now. Of course, this is coming from someone who's a second generation flyer, who learned about flying from single-engine propeller planes. I don't care much for jets and I haven't flown on the most recent models. I enjoy blimps, though. I've also dabbled with some gliders and rotary wing aircraft.

Sorry for the wall of text.

:D

starkebn
May 18, 2004

The Hobbit rules, TLotR drools

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Iterated on to meet customers actual play patterns and wants?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Tank was a term they were using in WW1 to obfuscate the development program of what we're familiar with now. They were pretending they were making a machine to bring water to the front lines in big 'tanks' and the nickname stuck.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Impermanent posted:

I think they'd be shooting themselves in the foot if going between the different planes isn't front and center.

If it's not about Planeswalking then I'm not sure what the point would be in using the licence

starkebn
May 18, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if for 6e WOTC just licenses it out to another company

Who's lining up to pitch for it? James Raggi? ?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I know how it happened, but how the gently caress did Pathfinder happen?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Red Metal posted:

well you see, it all starts with a man named ryan dancey...

a top idea guy that guy

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

What puts a pin in 40K for me is that the way to have fun with it is to set your game on the margins of it.

The way to have fun with 40k is play it like the crazy 80's and 90's version, not the grimdark they go for now.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I think a big problem with FATE is that everyone seems to describe it as 'rules lite' and I don't think it should be. Did the system makers bring that on themselves or has the opinion mistakenly grown organically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Covok posted:

For some reason, that's just a strange thing to say to me. I mean, of course it looks like something from DeviantArt. I can guarantee you all those artist had a DeviantArt account. I can guarantee you many artists in TRPGs have DeviantArts. On more than one occasion, I've looked for artists to hire using DeviantArt as one of my resources and, when I was trying to get the guy from Masks to do art for a 3rd party playbook, I checked for him (and found him) on DeviantArt. It might be a lovely, old social media site, but its where a lot of artists (including many professionals) hang out and it's place where people know to look when they need a commission.

I'm not even defending the site, it just seems like an odd complaint because, well, of course that art is from DeviantArt.

there is so much amazing, professional and amateur art on DA I don't think people should trash it because others who aren't so good post to it as well

• Locked thread