Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

gradenko_2000 posted:

On the subject of combat in PbP's, what I've been doing in a D&D 3rd edition game I've been running is to squash it into two-dimensions:

If Prae Poi charges right into the melee, the situation then changes to:

And then you would need Tumble checks to get past the overturned tables and chairs at the 40 foot mark, and you can push targets into the roaring campfire at the 50 foot mark.

It saves me the trouble of going full battle map, but keeps distance measurements precise. It also allows me to create "interactive terrain" for the players to use, just by dropping a short phrase of a thing somewhere in the room.

I'm thinking it might break down as far as people trying to set-up flanking, but that really hasn't come up yet.

Credit to P.d0t for giving me the original idea.

Maybe just let them flank unless there's terrain that would interfere. If there is terrain, then have them make an appropriate skill check as a free action to get into flanking position. Could do some kind of opposed check if that makes sense due to the situation, even. Perhaps fighter-types make it so there's always a check even if no terrain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Countblanc posted:

The proposed systems so far have made flanking and positioning more difficult, with stuff like checks being required to get where you want instead of simply being able to walk around terrain or enemies. I can't help but feel this disproportionately benefits characters who are more comfortable rarely moving, such as spellcasters, in a system that already loves spellcasters.

I was suggesting checks when it was appropriate and thematic, like acrobatics to move through a rubble field or something like that. If there's nothing stopping you, you can just flank. This was for an abstract system gradenko was thinking about using, where there wasn't a grid to regulate your position. So the free checks would emulate the otherwise missing effect of the terrain on the combat space.

If you're not going to gate flanking at all, you might as well just give everyone a +2 or ignore it, because why wouldn't you always be flanking?

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Obligatory:

:nws:
Definitely not safe for work
:nws:

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Dr Cheeto posted:

God, why did they kill 4e

I believe the generally accepted answer is "Mike Mearls."

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

MadDogMike posted:

Now that my group finally finished up a long running D&D 5E game, one of the players in that game is going to run Traveller as a replacement. I've never actually played that before, though I understand it's generally "run a ship and crew through the galaxy trying to make a buck" type game. Any advice for playing more experienced people want to pass along?

Well, the main question is "what edition of Traveller?" Assuming it's the latest Mongoose version, that's a pretty solid summary. It's almost always a pretty sandboxy game, so help your GM out and be proactive as a group with proposing things and looking for interesting places to go and things to do.

A lot will depend on whether you're up to your eyeballs in debt or not; that's one of the main ways campaigns are driven in Traveller.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Plutonis posted:

I wish there was a historically accurate TRPG based on the Sengoku Era with a ruleset and stuff similar to L5R. I just wanna play as an aesthete samurai tea master.

There's always Sengoku.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Splicer posted:

Are the ability scores raw numbers or a 3.x+ style derived modifier? What formats are the statups in?

Ability scores are just a modifier. Race gives you a base, you distribute one of two arrays on the base.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Splicer posted:

I meant the level up stat ups. Do you just get 5 +1s over the course of the game? Or is it fiddlier?

Four +1s (3, 5, 7, and 9).

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Splicer posted:

Do monster defences etc. seem formula-scaled or a winging it situation?

Did a quick skim of this. Monsters have a Danger Level (DL) which takes from 1-10 just like player level. Theoretically, DL = character level for challenge purposes, so 1 DL 4 monster is a reasonable fight for a level 4 character or a significant challenge for four 1st level characters. No idea whether this actually works in play.

There's a lot of discussion of tweaking the encounters to your specific party, and advice for what to tweak for a physical, melee party vice a more mage-oriented group, for example. There's a table with HP and defense numbers for each DL, but all of the numbers are a range: DL 1 HP are suggested to be in the 10-19 range, DL 2 is 14-22, etc. No consistent progression that jumped out at me but I didn't give it a deep dive.

Reskinning monsters and powers is explicitly encouraged. The general advice is to start weak and scale up as you get a feel for it. There's no real guidance for power creation that I noticed, but the stats are the only things shared with PCs (no 3e monsters and PCs built the same).

My immediate feel is that it will work well for reasonably experienced GMs but may be difficult for new GMs to get a handle on.

The monsters themselves seem interesting and varied but again, I've just done a quick skim.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Splicer posted:

Anything neat about the action economy?

I've a bunch of questions that could probably be answered by posting a level 1 character's stat block, if that's doable.

Nothing jumped out at me action economy wise but I didn't give it a close read so it could be buried in a side bar. I've also not played it yet so I don't have good feel--take all my comments with that grain of salt.

If dwarf74 doesn't post it I'll c&p the sample character in a bit when the kids take their naps and I can get on my computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

OK, here's the sample character:

That's all prettified and whatnot, though; here's the character sheet for comparison:

(apologies for the dropbox links, imgur was not letting me upload the pics for whatever reason)

• Locked thread