Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Played some SR:A on the last day of the year and it got a very strong review: 'if I was going to play a version of Shadowrun, this is probably the version I'd play.'

This year I will probably be lost in work. I might make it along to this ongoing group thing in town on Wednesday but it's unlikely! They run a DnD5 campaign that has about 30 players in it currently. Each Wednesday they have 5 or 6 GMs show up, run individual games that all link up along the same meta-plot story. It's good and a huge amount of effort goes into it.

Also can we post cooking things in here again this year.

Sion fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Cards against Humanity is a poo poo game and all its knock offs are knock offs of a poo poo game. Boo hiss!

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Countblanc posted:

i admire people who buy those games. it takes real courage to openly admit that you don't want to do things that let you, personally, be funny or clever, but instead want to do things where you simply let the game make the jokes for you.

"I like how the card game lets me say racist, homophobic, transphobic poo poo because I really want to do that but can't because this loving liberal society doesn't allow me to!"

cards against humanity.txt

Plutonis posted:

TG Design Challenge January 2017: Make a game with fun mechanics revolving on saying slurs.

Dungeons and Asskickings. Play dungeons and dragons only instead of saying 'dee' for 'D20' you have to say a racial slur. Time how long it takes for you to get your rear end kicked. Play it again at another location and see if you can beat your record time.

Sion fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 3, 2017

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

FastestGunAlive posted:

Never played CAH and have no desire to but it is amazing to see y'all get so worked up about it every time it's mentioned. Great article by Ettin though; gonna save that link

It's wildly successful as a card game and it's also astonishingly poo poo by every measure of 'game.' People get het up about it because it causes a loving glut of similarly uninspired games to exist and drain kickstarter money from projects that people put effort into. It's annoying because there's poo poo out there that's so much better than it, and there's poo poo that's so much better at what it does than it and when you give a poo poo about boardgames or cardgames it's kind of soul crushing to go around to someone's house and have them be like 'oh yeah I like boardgames, I love cards against humanity' and you just look at them and internally sigh before going 'oh yeah that's cool. You ever try apples to apples or snake oil?' only to get blank stares back.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Ominous Jazz posted:

I don't think anyone, except for Plutonus, is mustering much beyond "I don't like this thing, here's my reasons"

hi no it's me

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Nuns with Guns posted:

isn't that a sriracha bottle in your avatar?

plutonis is the most normie person on the forums

also, the Scion second Ed Kickstarter had an update not that long ago showing a preview of the Aztec Pantheon. It is looking goooooood

Sion fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 3, 2017

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

ManMythLegend posted:

I think you guys are missing the speak of CAH. Not everyone is friends exclusively with hard core gamers who don't mind a rousing game of Twilight Struggle when they're drunk at a party.

It's incredibly easy to explain to and, be understood by, non gamers in various states of intoxication and it generally leads to laughs and good times. I've had people balk at learning even simple games at parties, so something that everybody is willing to pick up without killing the mood is a big plus.

God Hates Charades, Super Fight and Snake Oil manage to be better and simpler games without all that awkward racial/-phobic poo poo that comes along with CAH. It's not that some of us miss the point of CAH and don't understand how normies function (although that's a cool assertion, thanks Commander Riker avatar guy), it's that it's a poo poo game with some really poo poo undertones that can make a party super loving awkward when you play the 'lol it's actually rape' card and one of the attendees has to loving leave.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

edit - gently caress it, this hill isn't worth the box of poo poo you get sent ironically.

Sion fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 3, 2017

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Yawgmoth posted:

Anyone got any good maps for a fantasy science lab? Something like the Gates of Firestorm Peak, but slightly less sprawling. The weirder the better, my players have accidentally themselves into Xoriat.

have accidentally themselves

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Yawgmoth posted:

Yep. The whole party.

you accidentally the whole thing?! Jesus...

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Yeah but do any of them have a loving index?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

ritorix posted:

Is there a thread for the Star Trek Adventures playtest? Mostly curious if it sucks or has any cool elements before I spend time in the pdfs. From http://www.modiphius.com/star-trek.html

No but this looks interesting.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

You roll the squares what got numbers on 'em.

Lemme tell you about our lord and saviour Diceless Systems... :v:

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Where do the numbers come from?

Stones, bruv.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Ettin posted:

Looks like urine for a surprise.

It's an absurd story but I kind of believe it. This time, I think that the truth is somewhere in the piddle.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

unseenlibrarian posted:

More evidence for my theory that everyone who says "Superman is perfect and boring" has never read or seen anything with Superman actually in it.

how does poo poo and boring stack up is that okay?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

The Whizzard and the piss trees.jpg

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

imagine that i linked that ettin written 'gently caress you' thing here

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Plutonis posted:

Juggalos are legit cool as hell if only a bit goofy and 90% of the hate against them is because they are lower class.

Well, as a loyal subject of the British Crown I can only say 'and..?'

:smuggo:

Nah but seriously, how do magnets work can someone please clear that up for me

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Drone posted:

Am I the only one who feels sort of really pissy about parents who try to make their 5 year olds play D&D with them? I know that, on some level, a parent wanting their kid to like the same things they do is a natural feeling, but the kid is like 5 loving years old. Let the kid go play outside or discover their own fun before foisting your niche hobby on them. Something about it all just rubs me the completely wrong way -- like I dunno, I can't shake the image of a neckbeard dad forcing his kids to play D&D with him because parenting has consumed so much of his life that he can't go game with other adults.

Or am I just speaking from the biased but comfortable position of a smug non-parent who dislikes children?

Yes.

edit for more than just a one word answer: Yes, you are. It's something that let's parents play with their kids who are interested in more indoors-y stuff play with them. It's something that encourages kids to think logically, learn about social interactions, engage their imagination and learn about storytelling. It encourages reading and math which are important at that age. You have to change the pitch of a game (grimdark trips to Ravensloft or whatever are probably not on the menu, nor should excessive rules lawyering about five foot steps and attacks of opportunity) but... The idea of 'lol what a broken fukken neckbeard lmao' is wildly unhelpful.

Sion fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jan 17, 2017

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Drone posted:

Like, you see that kind of thing on shitholes like Reddit all the time, where a parent will sometimes openly admit that they're basically just waiting for their little kid to learn how to speak well enough to form a coherent sentence so that they can start playing D&D with them. It's goddamn creepy. No little kid's vocabulary should have the word "dracolich" in it when they should still be all about Duplos and Bob the Builder.

I know a five year old that is loving obsessed with werewolves. She regularly sits down and is like 'here is a story about a werewolf that I wrote' and she likes to drop facts like 'werewolves are sometimes called lycanpopes.'

I love the idea of a lycanpope.

Also, I feel your error here was going on Reddit which, as pointed out, is a shithole. Again, a lot of it is about tone. I've run DnD games for friends and their kids in the past where they were a team of gnome rangers, wizards and clerics. 'You're a gnome and you have a pet bear that you can ride around on.' They had to solve the mystery of where the towns food supplies went to and it turns out it was Owlbears making a nest in a barn. Everyone learnt a lesson about sharing. It was great.

Sion fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jan 17, 2017

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Countblanc posted:

Assuming the kid is able to comprehend the rules of whatever game you're playing I don't see the issue with it, or how it's really different from playing a board game with your kids or any other indoor activity. It seems absurd to me that "go play outside" is a catch-all 100% solution - It might be raining, or too cold, or too dark, or the kid might be sick, or maybe you just want to be indoors to do a family thing together.

pssh, go play outside kid *lives on 40th floor of apartment building*

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

oh baby

oh baby... yeah...

put that HAMMER DOWN

unfh!

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

I need recommendations for two-player board games (or games that work well with two players) that don't take up a ton of space.

how much is a ton of space. Like- an A4 page or what?

because goty 2015 is on sale

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's the kind of thing where every time I think of a joke about it, my brain stops me before I say or type anything to remind me that nothing is funny anymore.

https://twitter.com/fixverified/status/822828692195999744

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Ominous Jazz posted:

Things are bad, but you know what isn't? That's right mother fuckers I'm talking elves.
You know em, you love em, mother loving elves.
What settings got your favorite elf? You like the vanilla plain Jane nothing wrong with that Tolkien elf or are you more of a rude cyber dude rocking that shadow run elf? I like that mad max Dark Sun elf, ready to eat a dude and gladiate some fools.

And yo, while we're here, talking about elves, what's up with dark elves? How do you play with dark elves in a way that isn't weirdly racist?

Sun Elves. Kawaii.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Ominous Jazz posted:

What kind of elf are they? What do they got going on under the hood?

Edit: how come half elves are always thing in dnd but no other half race and on a scale from one to ten how weirdly racist is it

Half-orcs, man.

Sun Elves are basically the default image of elves as haughty aristocrats writ large. They're great to play and even better to GM because you can basically GM them as Mean Girls. They speak their own language even though no one else does, insist that it's the best and will only occasionally decide that adopting the gutter-mouth tongues of other races is acceptable. They can't take a punch though, which means their hugely punchable personality is backed up by a body that is also hugely punchable. Also they're descended from Eladrin / Angelic outsiders so they've got that going for them.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Nuns with Guns posted:

I....

I'm just jealous that they get to talk to badgers :(

everyone can talk to badgers tho

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Ettin posted:

What if Trad Games pooled our money together and bought PFO? Goon project :getin:

someone go find warcabbit, they'll know exactly what to do to get this project off the grounhahaha

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

So he's just Steve Jobs.

he knows less about fonts than jobs tho

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Elfgames posted:

Professional wrestling is live action anime

*loud booing sounds*

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Sengoku is a cool megagame about having a feudal clan in Japan. It's rad as gently caress.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Plutonis posted:

I don't even know you. What the hell.

you might not know them, but they know you. Or, you know, they know your banlist.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Desiden posted:

Goddamnit, I haven't watched or thought about pro wrestling since my college roommate who was into it moved out, and now I'm seriously considering getting a subscription to a japanese show where muscular dudes do acrobatic stunts with blowup dolls.

NJPW have a good streaming service. Also a 6/5 star match at the Tokyo Dome because holy poo poo

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Covok posted:

Oh, for gently caress's sake!

it is pretty loving childish that a TG forum can't discuss loving dungeons and dragons without someone filling a diaper.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Arivia posted:

I don't hate the people playing 5e. I do hate Mearls, Zak S, and the rest of them, and you know why. Don't pretend 5e is a neutral topic on these forums, something to despairingly cluck our teeth at like Palladium or bad World of Darkness books.

Beyond that, it's not very groggy to talk about how the latest edition of the most popular, best-known roleplaying game is horrible and bad from a creative and design standpoint. It's not just preference. 5e is objectively a bad game, one we've mocked since its introduction on these forums, and it's not stopping. It could be very little like 4e and that would be fine if it was good, which it isn't.

And yeah, it sucks that such a terrible game is the gateway to the hobby. That's also why there's so much conflict in the thread. Tons of new people who haven't played anything other than 5e, who haven't posted here before and don't know TG culture. They just want a peaceful place to talk about the game with other players, but they don't know why this forum doesn't like 5e at all. They want enworld and we're not that, but since it's popular there's a critical mass to make it something they try to enforce.

Imagine for a moment that there are people out there that don't know why because they're either A) new to the hobby and just want somewhere to hang out and talk about elfgames or B) deeply uninterested in the minutiae of whatever is going on with the lives of nerds that design games.

And, sure, I get that the game has been pooped on for a while but maybe go crazy and give it a rest or don't swing by the thread repeatedly to stink up the joint.

'Tons of new people who haven't played anything other than 5e, who haven't posted here before and don't know TG culture.' Because if there's one thing traditional games need to have is a higher bar for entry and a more insular culture :v:

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Arivia posted:

@Sion: Sure, RPGs can be pretty insular and breaking that down is great. But you don't do that with a game made by guys who harass, stalk, and doxx marginalized people. No matter how prominent that game might be.

You don't get to decide that.

The last episode of Critical Role got 200,000 viewers on YouTube and 25,000 live viewers when it was happening on Twitch. If someone shows up in a 5e thread saying 'I like that show, I want to know more about the game they are playing' are you honestly going to turn that person away because of their interest in it?

Sion fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 12, 2017

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Shadowrun: Anarchy has a narrative round robin thing going on if you like your Fiasco games but want elves and poo poo too.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Lemon-Lime posted:

IRC is good.

Discord is good when it works and isn't busy being a broken-rear end piece of beta software, which is most of the time, but the times where it breaks are still annoying.

Discord needs to let you log poo poo. It also needs for text and voice channels be the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

teamspeak does text and speech channels as the same thing. I miss is hugely.

• Locked thread