Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Nobody wins when violence is involved, it only degrades us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Funny, the last DBZ thing I watched was a movie where Goku loses. Maybe there's more than one? I haven't watched much DBZ. He lost in this one, anyway.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Having played a lot of M&M 3e and DC Adventures, it can work, but there are important things to keep in mind.

The game probably functions best when people have their attacks / saves / defenses around the campaign PL (usually around 2). If there are tradeoffs, I'd probably limit them to +2 or +3 instead of +5, mainly just because some tradeoffs are better than others (trading attack down for damage up, for example) and that limits their impact.

As long as you can trust your players, I'd just have people ignore point values (aside from when working up alternate powers of an existing power) and just write down numbers that fit the PL. Watch the point values of powers to make sure they're not too inflated, and be wary of stacked attacks (like a linked affliction + damage), particularly if they synergize (like an attack that degrades defense or toughness at the same time it does damage). I'd also watch out for "meta" powers that allow people to swap out powers too broadly.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if used as players, some of the DC writeups are lacking in versatility (I think Aquaman's only direct attack is just punching, for example). In addition, some can be off from the above advice to keep attacks / defenses around PL, so I'd probably make sure that their numbers are balanced to PL and to give them two or three alternate attack powers if they don't already have them and you can make them fit.

In general, there's an issue when building villains that the math just doesn't work out for them if they're outnumbered unless they have a much higher PL. Most villains are going to want assistants or minions to help even the odds in a conflict. It's possible to build a high-PL villain that's a challenge, but the dilemma is that their defenses have to be high enough to laugh off most PC attacks, which isn't much fun.

I think that's most of my major advice. M&M is probably one of the better refinements of what Champions started, but still has a lot of the issues of the older superhero games - it just runs much smoother than most of the other "superhero physics simulators".

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Bear in mind the "fighter problem" isn't just how much damage they do. Yes, it's an issue that a fighter is a lesser damage-dealer in games where that's their main function, but the "fighter issue" more comes down to flexibility. Often they're unable to adapt to different types of foes (swordguy becomes useless when his foe flies, or is invisible, or requires pewter arrows to hurt) or situations. But most importantly, many fighter classes just become... useless outside of combat. That's the chief issue, I think. When other classes are breaking into places, casting spells to teleport to places, or tracking a set of footprints, the fighter quite often has no expertise to apply when there isn't anybody that needs stabbing.

As useful as lifting gates or bending bars might be, it's not exactly a broad skillset.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

All I can think of when half-dragons come up is this dorky strip from Dungeon...

... based on an adventure in the same issue.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

They actually fleshed out Ben 10's setting fairly well by kid's show standards(albeit not without some continuity snarls), heck it would work better for a Supehero RPG setting than a lot of comic book Superhero settings would

I think thinking of mainstream comics as "settings" is probably a trap anyway.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, I mean, they tend to have very few hard rules and editors and writers are so frequently flipping the script on setting notions that very little is sacred. They're more like toyboxes or frameworks than guidebooks.

I mean, I was reading the original Punisher miniseries earlier today and you have gangster bosses dying by the dozen in NYC, and if it was a proper setting you'd have all the characters who have gangland wheelhouses (Spider-Man, Daredevil, um... Cloak & Dagger?) sitting up and taking notice that there's a literal gang of punisher lookalikes running around starting wild gunfights. But because it's just a Punisher comic, nobody else in the Marvel universe effectively exists. That's not to say you can't treat them as hard settings, but that only some writers really worry about that sort of thing when it comes to the actual comics.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

I actually wasn't including the main DC or Marvel continuities when I said that

Ah, well, it's an understandable mistake, given than when you say "comic superhero settings", those are the first that likely come to mind.

But mostly I'll take any excuse to blather on about comics outside of the actual comic threads. :ssh:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Covok posted:

What makes you so afraid of Batman shameful Secret?

That feels like a pretty funny self-answer already.

But mostly just the feeling that if you've seen one comics fandom outrage, you've seen them all.

Plutonis posted:

DON'T READ CAPECOMICS

You can't stop me.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Flipping through Up to Four Players, the only joke seems to be "What if somebody acted in an exaggerated fashion regarding tabletop games!" But it's not a punchline, there's no setup, just... it's too bad, because they seem to be reasonably good at cartooning, but the jokes are just the characters hamming on the final panel.

The instructional stuff is cute but doesn't really make much use of the medium, it's just characters hamming references around text boxes.

Hamming, it's a word I'm using now, I guess.

Moriatti posted:

Uh... 8-Bit Theatre was something I read as a teen, is that good?

It was alright for the time and standards of the early 2000s, but Brian Clevinger was pretty wise to eventually abandon that ship. Too many webcomic authors end up having a hit strip become their iron lung.

Speaking of which, Order of the Stick was cute and jokey at first, but like many comics that run too long, it became an ouroboros of self-congratulatory nonsense.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

To be fair, the three purposes of a Star Wars game are to play a bathrobed warrior with a glowing sword, a pilot in a letter-shaped spaceship, or a dog with a laserbow.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Ettin posted:

Order of the Stick is good and I'm a mod so that's the official position of Trad Games now. You're welcome.

Oh, right, this is the part of the movie where you tear off your mask and reveal that your face is just one hideous circle.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I'm fairly certain you could eliminate half the panels in any given OotS strip these days and hit every vital plot point and "gag" in a given strip.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Falstaff posted:

Why would you want to stat Babe Ruth? D&D isn't a baseball simulator.

But d20 does everything.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

How long have you been waiting to drop that.

I wasn't, it was just a quick search.

But here's another.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Falstaff posted:

Apparently this is part of the Nuelow bundle, which is on sale. Regular price $305.44, marked down to $304.77. What a steal!

Look, all that public domain art they use doesn't come cheap.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Megatokyo still updates, still thinks leetspeak is funny, and somehow seems to have gone downhill art-wise. Everything is so overhatched that the whole strip is just a mess of greys and sketchy pencil flailing.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Countblanc posted:

leetspeek absolutely is funny now, it's been long enough where it's looped back around.

Nineties nostalgia isn't due for another few years at least, we're still on eighties nostalgia according to the secret masters of fandom. Let's not rush this.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Having it spoken out loud is a further exaggeration that doesn't make much sense upon a moment's reflection... well, it was a different time. :rolleyes:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

This new thread title is a bit crass no matter who you have for a lawyer.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Arivia posted:

I don’t have a grudge. It’s just bad and it’s baffling to see a bad system get promoted so heavily here.

If it isn't a grudge, it's scientifically indistinguishable from one.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Wesley Snipes and Sean Astin, notable incels.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Bedlamdan posted:

You know what was a really good movie about race relations and police officers in a fantasy world? Zootopia

Yep. If you're going to go with fantastical races as a metaphor for actual race issues, you have to go all the way. Placing something like Bright in a contemporary setting just sets it up for direct comparisons to actual oppression, and I can't see a scenario where that doesn't turn out to be somewhat poo poo.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, the big deal is mainly just SJ getting the rights, but that probably just means a reprint at some point. It's mainly of interest to RPG historians and OSR folks, and I wouldn't expect too much out of it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Zerilan posted:

I can never hear SKR be mentioned without thinking of that stupid point cost system for feats he came up with.

Look, it was just a speculative experiment. :argh:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Legend of the Five Rings' Wasp clan of archers started out as "completely broken" (getting more attacks more quickly than any other school) and was later downgraded to just "pretty unfair".

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Well, you also had some games like Exalted 2e where dedicated Athletics / Archery users could just kite melee fighters effortlessly and rain death from miles away.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Bedlamdan posted:

3E has it that attacking from medium range or longer requires a turn-long aim action and makes you susceptible to getting rushed down..

Yeah, Exalted 3e has a number of solutions to that, such as combat range being abstracted and trees like melee / brawl getting the ability to close quickly. Which is why I specifically mentioned 2e (which could get even exponentially worse once artifacts came into the mix).

Antilles posted:

Fantasy Craft's got pretty decent archer support, what with a decent base Fightyman class, good feat support (FC's got some pretty meaty feats in general, compared to 3.P), and the pretty decent 'Deadeye' Expert class bringing some long-range sniping shenanigans.

Fantasy Craft is a great example of how to have a variety of weapon styles that are all fairly valid choices combined with mechanically distinctive weapons, even if it's somewhat antiquated in this post-4e world. Granted, my last fighting character in Fantasy Craft was a mercenary that specialized in no particular weapon, so you can do that, too.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

unseenlibrarian posted:

This is Rules Cyclopedia erasure and I won't stand for it.

I feel like 2e gets too much credit in general hereabouts just as a backlash against 3e, I'm not sure it has any merits that really elevate it beyond basic competence in a modern context, compared to Gygax's scrawled-on-the-walls-of-a-room-style of 1e.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I think 3e and 2e both have different and serious flaws, and which you favor depends a lot on what those flaws mean to you. I'd probably be more inclined to mess around with 3e just because I know I could make something interesting with a "curated campaign" and not just throwing the kitchen sink full of crunch in, but there are better ways to use my time.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

NachtSieger posted:

Bows are disgustingly good. Soldier, relevant archery feats, and a quiver of bird boxing glove arrows means you're forcing an obscene number of subdual damage saves per turn at range.

Fixed.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I'm sure God would, but God never could figure how those rules work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Savage Worlds strikes me as like my baseline for an average RPG system. It doesn't do anything particularly well or anything particularly badly. It is the definition of a perfectly okay system.

• Locked thread