Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
people really loving love 3.5e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

fool_of_sound posted:

Isnt that basically Descent

in theory but vanilla descent is pretty bad, and 2.0 is only decent with the app that makes it co-op

gloomhaven is much closer to a proper example and also doesn't require a GM

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Nuns with Guns posted:

These are called "nerds", which as a collective, do not critically examine any fandom they engage with.

man i dont know who you're talking to but i cant think of a normal person i know who critically examines their hobbies either

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zoro posted:

Just read Hunter x Hunter, Boku no hero Academia, and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. You'll be happier that way.

how did you leave One Piece off of the list of good shounen

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
final fantasy pee-shits

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i seriously do not see what's wrong with GMs as a service if no one wants to do it

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

EverettLO posted:

An article that's a sloppy blowjob to 5e D&D, this time from the New Yorker. The only new twist is that they seem to suggest that 5e was a good enough game to lead to the rise of the RP podcasting surge, rather than coincidentally benefitting from it solely based on lucky timing.

They still manage to bag on 4e with the old tropes, though.

end my suffering

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
wait, as in you play as existing characters, not your own?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zerilan posted:

Just watch Ping Pong instead of what anyone else recommends.

this but tatami galaxy

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
who calls fate deep lol

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Terrible Opinions posted:

Manga doesn't have the sprawling shared universes that tend to strangle western comics to death, still can if given the time and choice disappear up their own rear end. Shaman King for instance disappeared in a puff of self-importance.

basically manga is generally written by one person, maybe two, and an editor. big manga authors will have assistants but they generally just do stuff like inking or drawing backgrounds, not plot stuff. anime (that was never manga) is usually written by a group and anime adapted from manga usually cuts content or, in the case of weekly anime, adds generally bad content so it doesn't outpace the manga which are generally running weekly at the same time.

this doesn't necessarily mean anime is worse than manga, but especially if you want something action/fighting-based, the manga will generally be a lot cleaner.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Scyther posted:

Your linear 2D alignment bores me.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I wouldn't call myself an FR fan but it's big enough that there is some stuff I like nonetheless (namely anything that was in one of the good CRPGs, and also the ancient empires stuff)

the spellplague is a super cool idea IMHO

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

the author of this has a much brighter view of the DW Fighter than I do

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Moriatti posted:

What's a good PVP game, either an "RPG" focused on PVP or a board game that lets you have a high degree of customization over your chracters?

There's tons of good (or at least decent) board games for 1v1 squad skirmishes or larger battles, but if you're looking for customization for a single unit in a one-on-one fight, the only good one I can think of is the now-defunct (twice over) DBZ CCG. There's a healthy fan community with some people from the original playtest group still making fan content, and presumably the lack of official tournaments/support wouldn't bother you for what you're looking to do, so it's still a decent option.

e: Mage Wars is another decent choice.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The Panini game, yeah. It's actually the same game with a few tweaks as the original one, namely it introduced the Critical Damage mechanic and a few other minor changes (like all decks are exactly 60 cards instead of between 45 and 75).

As for acquiring the game I'm sure there's a lot of people selling off their cards/collections since, again, the game was formally cancelled about a year ago due to Bandai deciding to release their lovely japanese Dragon Ball Super tcg over here and reclaiming their license. I'm not sure what policy is for gaming stores and selling the cards now, but there's a few facebook groups for the game that could steer you in the right direction if you're interested in learning more. There's also full OCTGN lists if you want to try the game before digging into buying stuff.

- Main facebook group
- Selling-focused facebook group (I have no experience with this one)

Oh, and while the fan content is high quality for being fan content, it's still just that and I recommend avoiding it until you've sapped the official stuff for all the enjoyment you can.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
leetspeek absolutely is funny now, it's been long enough where it's looped back around.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
that's fair, but also, this is the funniest poo poo ever

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
my favorite part about megatokyo leetspeak is that it's like, far beyond the pale. even when people used leetspeak it was "sh1t l1k3 th15", people weren't making loving ascii letters to fill in the blanks or whatever. it's like someone's mom saw an AOL chatroom once or twice and then needed to recreate it from memory a month later

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lurdiak posted:

Boy howdy am I tired of seeing alignment memes.

Same

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
My roommate begins basically all her rpg anecdotes by trelling me the respective characters' alignments. It's a poison

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mitama posted:

4e But Gridless reminds me a lot of what 13th Age tried to do (and didn't really hook w/ me). Cautiously interested, though.

i wish them the best but same.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ettin posted:

Merry Christmas folks. I made you a Lasers & Feelings hack about beating the poo poo out of Santa Claus.

Thank you.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

LuiCypher posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6zqHKd265E

I always wished there was an RPG where I could play the octoroon great-grandson of a notable NBA player.

my man, have you heard of Dungeons & Dragons: 5th Edition?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the best paladin is Zote the Mighty

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
ive been associating suicidal ideation and nerdiness for a while now

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
its incredibly hosed

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

theironjef posted:

Yes, and it made my failure all the more embarrassing. That's why in my games when you used Whirlwind Attack you also have to roll to see if you pee yourself in front of Becky Gunderson from 3rd period physics.

do i get to pee myself on the 1 or the 20

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
is Unity actually out? like to buy with money?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

whydirt posted:

That's the character that was made in the creation demo video:

https://youtu.be/dxENHdX8YLc

I sorta hate the Core Path example given, it sounds like you just sorta stretch your best one to fit whatever situations you can when it's even vaguely relevant. Like the whole "I remember reading a legend about an expert marksman in my library. Rolling Knowledge: History to line up my shot" thing that use to get joked about here a lot.

The rest seems neat though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
for people who didn't watch the video, the example given is that the character is using her "A Warrior's Heart" bonus (her best at +3, versus +1 for the others) to augment her ability to out-drink someone, saying that when she was a kid she got into drinking contents with her brothers and lost a lot but it bolstered her tolerance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
VASSAL is fairly powerful if you spend the time to learn its tools (I have not)

• Locked thread