Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Bread Liar
I just get so pissed off at Wikileaks because I really believed in what they were doing back when they first started :(

Such an incredible idea all gone to poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Bread Liar

Redcordial posted:

ABC is reporting that Ley will be paying back the costs of four trips to the Gold Coast.

See, the system works. This is why we don't need a federal level ICAC.

Shootme.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Bread Liar
Sot he obvious next move is to make all expense reports subject to the secrets act.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Bread Liar

Rehosting so I can actually see it:

open24hours posted:

:lol: I bet they'll love that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Bread Liar

norp posted:

There was an article already about a mega portfolio for counter terrorism but it didn't get traction with the expenses stuff starting to drag in other Libs.

The government has been trying to bring in legislation to hold terrorism suspects indefinitely if you need something to really scare you.

EDIT: Here we go, it was in relation to the terrifying terrorists who were totally going to set a fire at a Shiite prayer hall, but there was someone there so they ran away. Then they were totally going to stab a bunch of people "in the kidneys" but didn't.

Better make sure they never see daylight again, right?

Google tells me there's also an article at the Daily Tele, but gently caress if I'm reading that trash.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 11, 2017

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Bread Liar
If the Left Renewal are so determined to wipe out capitalism they should join up with the far right wing of the LNP.

Totalitarian autocracy all the way.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Bread Liar
Yes, because if there's one thing which typifies women being beaten and brutalised by their partners, it's the state's overwhelming response to it.

Won't someone please think of the men :ohdear:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Bread Liar

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Like that's a pretty huge wilful misinterpretation there.

No it's an interpretation based on a lifetime of scars and bitterness and anger from being a survivor of abuse and a system which didn't care in the slightest.

And, no matter what you think, it's also a very accurate reading for what the Left Renewal scum fucks are actually saying.

I grew up in the 70s with a violently sadistic father who hospitalised my mother and myself on more than one occasion and simply beat us senseless more times than I could ever count. Having the police care just the once would have made a world of difference. Having them actually arrest him just once would have made an even bigger one. Just enough time for my mother to have fled somewhere he wouldn't have been able to find us and drag us back before he finally managed to totally destroy her soul.

Hearing ignorant pieces of poo poo like Left Renewal go on about how bringing the police into things doesn't help makes me want to scream, because YES IT loving DOES HELP. It can save lives.

When this country actually has the infrastructure and intent to help abused women and children, then I'll give a poo poo about those misunderstood men and their inability to not smash their partner's head through a wall. The poor things, they had a hard day at work, don't you go and make it worse by calling the police now.

Let's look at the very first line of the Left Renewal platform update which Lid quoted:

quote:

There has long been tension between often white, more affluent feminists calling for greater police powers, greater state intervention and incarceration as a primary response to the issue of violence against women, and those feminists that recognise the police, state intervention and incarceration as sources of violence themselves.

These things are not equal. Police and state intervention and incarceration may well be "sources of violences" but they only exist as a response to the violence of those men brutalising their partners. Moreover, it all but blames rich white women for having men arrested and put in jail as if the domestic violence was their fault. As if men attacking women is something the women should be ashamed of.

quote:

Carceral feminism represents a critical misunderstanding of the real-world consequences of deploying the police; that they do not serve to ‘protect’. Ms Dhu was 22 years old when she died in custody in August 2014, in excruciating pain, after being repeatedly refused medical treatment. She had been held in custody for two days, after being arrested for unpaid fines. According to a March 2016 ABC article, a Senior Constable testified in relation to this death that Sergeant Rick Bond told her Ms Dhu was a junkie who was faking illness; Sergeant Bond was frustrated and she wanted to appease him because "his word was law" and he was known to "verbally attack" people who questioned him.

This is not a case of ‘one bad apple’ - the police as an institution is harmful and violent; violence against minorities is business-as-usual, not an outlier. Ms Dhu’s case is just one tragic case out of numerous deaths in custody, overwhelmingly of Indigenous people. Given the numerous instances of police violence towards women, it is dangerously wrong for carceral feminists to promote incarceration and state intervention as solutions to violence against women.

A drug addict died in custody therefore any women who calls the police on the man who just knocked out her teeth and stubbed his cigarette out on their three year old child is just as bad as a murderer? What?

No. That's loving wrong.

And where did this mention of minorities and Aborigines come from? Now they're just going for Leftist bingo. Say enough of the magic words and you'll automatically be right.

A woman in an abusive relationship bears absolutely no loving blame for any bullshit the police may pull and how dare anyone try and put that weight on their head. They suffer enough just trying to survive.

Oh my, there's a faint chance the man who has beaten you every night for the past decade might stub his delicate little toes when in jail :ohdear:

Fix the police. Fix the jails. Don't blame abused women for trying to protect themselves.

quote:

As Victoria Law writes, “Casting policing and prisons as the solution to domestic violence both justifies increases to police and prison budgets and diverts attention from the cuts to programs that enable survivors to escape, such as shelters, public housing, and welfare. Positioning police and prisons as the principal antidote discourages seeking other responses, including community interventions and long-term organising.”

Blaming the women again.

Increases to prison and police budgets are not necessarily bad things in and of themselves. But the next part, "diverts attention from the cuts to programs that enable survivors to escape, such as shelters, public housing, and welfare". Well whose loving fault is that?

It's not the abused women's fault.

Oh, so some piece of poo poo politician might try and cut back on social services because [reasons]? Welp, better blame the woman lying on the floor bleeding from her ears, I guess. Whore called the loving police.

Doesn't she know, a man might suffer somewhere down the road because of her selfish actions!

If politicians are cutting back social services, then blame the politicians. Not enough money? Then fight for more!

Don't blame the victim.

Ever.

quote:

Violence against women is an immense and serious problem, but greater state intervention is neither the appropriate nor the non-violent response.

No, gently caress this poo poo. That entire post Lid found is 100% blame the victim bullshit.

If abused women cannot call the police? If abused women cannot rely on the courts? Then what, tell me, can abused women do?

The Left Renewals are loving idiots and the contempt I already had for the trot scum has increased a thousandfold after reading that.

I agree with the views held by anyone who has worked with abused women and children that more needs to be done in every single area, but making a political platform out of "bitches should keep their mouths shut because it might affect men and we can't be having with that now" is bullshit of the highest order.

Saying it's "huge wilful misinterpretation" is equally bullshit.

Lid posted:

A few factors: the Ms Dhu case is a stretch

second is that the policy is anarcho-communist in basis, from the abolition of police to abolition of rule of law, which has extended to the comments when asked about what do about violent male offenders to women they kind of hem and haw - it really is just "ban all policing"

thirdly they are criticising feminists, specifically white feminists, for their own domestic abuse and that they are arguably the main contributors to violence against women themselves

Or, more coherently, this.

Left Renewal is morality as seen by wealthy white male trots.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 13, 2017

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Bread Liar
Okay, took a couple days off to clear out the cobwebs because when I post angry I'm never as clear as I want to be.

So let's try again. Starting with this:

Recoome posted:

Also Gorilla Salad, you can go gently caress yourself with that "drug addict" comment. I'm really glad you think you can reduce someone to a perjorative label, I mean who cares lol she's just a drug addict haha

To try and clear things up - police are bastards. Prison is terrible. Anyone in a position of authority who allows a sick woman to die on their watch deserves to not only lose their job but be arrested for manslaughter, or depraved indifference at the very least.

What I was trying (poorly) to say is that the fact police are bastards and sometimes allow terrible things to happen to people in their charge is still no reason to expect an abused woman to not call triple 0 to protect herself when her partner is beating the poo poo out of her.

Magog posted:

So if reality was different than it actually is they'd be wrong then? Okay.

Police in the 70s and 80s are not the police of today. The same "rich white feminists" that Left Renewal hate so much were the very ones who got laws put in place to force police to act. So yes, an abused woman today who calls the police can expect them to actually do something because they'd be pilloried if they didn't.

When I was a child, the best you could expect from the police, if they even bothered to turn up at all, was a contemptuous, "So, what did you do to set him off this time?" directed at my mother as she huddled crying and bleeding in the corner.

I have been watching the Left Renewal Facebook page where this all started and people there have been pointing out that they have nothing in place now to help women. It's all well and good to say not to call the police but Left Renewal, despite being called out several times, haven't revealed their masterwork to help the victims here.

Of course, Left Renewal would tell you the true victims are men.

I suck at the Facebook, but here're a few of the comments there.

And because, goddamn some people are just that clueless:

The alternative to women calling the police when their partners are beating the crap out of them - community gardens :downs:

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 16, 2017

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Bread Liar
Calm down please, senator Leyonhjelm.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Bread Liar
That's worse!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Bread Liar

Let's just take a moment to remind ourselves what a cladding fire looks like and ponder how much a few extra sprinklers would do to help:

On a 1 to 10 sliding scale of surprising things, I'd have to rate that the platonic ideal of zero.

Thanks for the link, I'm, going to send it around to my Green friends because Trots are like cockroaches, for every one you see a dozen more are wriggling around in their own poo poo between the walls.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Bread Liar

That's just loving disgusting.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Bread Liar
The phrase "patriotic devotion" rubs me the wrong way. Jingoism always does.

As Griffball put it, it also has a terrible ring of Great Leader to it which, given it's Trump we're talking about here, shouldn't surprise me in the least.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Bread Liar

So, this would make Federal Parliament effectively act like Queensland's unicameral system?

ewe2 posted:

If I'm hearing correctly, the US has just shut the doors on any Muslim, even those with Green cards. And Tony Abbott thinks he can "reform" government. That's what you get when "government gets to govern".

I've read this in two different threads now, so I went and checked the news and I'm still having a difficult time believing I'm seeing this actually happen.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 28, 2017

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Bread Liar

ewe2 posted:

I've read some amazing tweets about itm, eg

https://twitter.com/aayoub/status/825136159990886400

But if you think that's crazy, California might secede.

There's a huge protest going on at JFK right now over this. Apparently the Customs people haven't been able to reach anyone to find out what's going on or what to do. Lawyers have started arriving to pro bono help people with appeals.

One of the people trapped at the airport is a woman with a green card who has lived in the US for five years and whose child - who is trapped with her - is an American citizen.

In other news, Trump signed an EO stripping non citizens of the right to privacy. I await seeing these laws applied here over the next decade :(

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Bread Liar

Solemn Sloth posted:

The NYPD shut down the subway to try and limit how many more protestors could get to JFK

loving proud as hell of New Yorkers right now.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Bread Liar
I said earlier that I expected to see Trump's policies put in place here over the next ten years, which is the usual length of time Australia follows behind the US.

Looks like the LNP jumped aboard the express train with this one.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Bread Liar
Wouldn't it be magical if Trump is the one to finally break this swing to the right?

The Before Times posted:

Donald Trump fires acting Attorney-General after she said she couldn't defend his travel ban :allears:

How I'd love to see a Nixon-esque Saturday Night Massacre, where Trump just has to fire A-G after A-G as they all refuse to defend his traqvel ban.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Bread Liar

Cartoon posted:

Once it has been trotted up and down the media catwalk and is inevitably struck down by the Supreme court it gives brand Trump all the ammo needed to insist that significant change is needed in the makeup and powers of the courts.

• Locked thread